Where do you think the edge of London is?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
Posted some really interesting stuff about London phone numbers

Do you think we have now passed 'peak number' for London as now a lot is done through the mobile networks and inter / intra net?

I'd say there is much less demand for fixed lines now as there was say 20-25 years ago when mobiles were expensive and every office had landlines and a fax machine. Talking of which, when was the last time anyone sent or received a fax?

Tim Hall

Even further back in the day, 01 was the dialling code for all of London.

From wiki:

STD code[edit]
Example telephone number
1959–1966 STD codes introduced 01-WIM 0123
1966–1990 All-figure dialling 01-946 0123

1990–1995 Area code split 071-946 0123
1995–2000 PhONEday 0171 946 0123
2000–present Big Number Change 020 7946 0123
The STD code 01 was assigned to the London telephone area on 6 April 1959 as part of preparations for subscriber trunk dialling.[11]For the next thirty years, "01" became synonymous with the capital.[12] Until May 1990, the 01 code covered the same area as the current 020 code and had capacity for fewer than 10 million telephone numbers.[13]

In May 1990, the 01 code was abandoned and the area divided between 071 – which covered exchanges in the Central sector – and 081, which covered all other sectors. Exceptionally, two exchanges in the East sector[notes 3] covering the London Docklands redevelopment area were assigned the 071 code.[14]The anticipation that the code associated with central districts would be more prestigious than the other associated with the outer suburbs[15][16] was used as a plot device in the Essex-based TV comedy series Birds of a Feather.[17] At the time of the split, there were five local exchange codes assigned to Mercury Communications[notes 4] and numbers in these ranges could be assigned to either code.[14] This area code split doubled the potential capacity.[13] In 1995, on "PhONEday", the codes changed again, to 0171 and 0181.

My home town, Brentwood, is conveniently placed just outside the M25, although I expect it'll soon be swallowed up by the spreading mass of the capital.

So I would say that London is within the confines of the M25.
Hello caller? Press button B and I'll have a TMN, thank you very much.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Even further back in the day, 01 was the dialling code for all of London.

From wiki:

STD code[edit]
Example telephone number
1959–1966 STD codes introduced 01-WIM 0123
I remember when the dials had letters. The old family number was TID8618*, TID being the first three letters of the local exchange, Tideway.

*Actually, that was my old number at the same exchange. Substituted so as not to bother my old mum.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Even the place traditionally used as the centre of London for distances can get a bit edgy...
London-Has-Fallen_Gerard-Butler.jpg

Reactions: mjr

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cockney mode of speech, with its unpleasant twang, is a modern corruption without legitimate credentials, and is unworthy of being the speech of any person in the capital city

Top Bottom