Why don't Pros use triples?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
So, as I understand it the UCI minimum weight of 6.8kg is fairly easy to achieve, and in fact a lot of teams now add weight to bikes to get them up to the limit.

As I rounded a corner this morning and was hit with a wind much more powerful than I'd had the rest of the ride, I was glad to have my inner ring on my triple (it was a strong wind, ok) - I don't use it often, but I'm glad it's there when I need it.

This got me wondering why pro riders don't just put a triple on - if you add lead weights to the bike to make it up to the limit, you're adding weight that has no use. Why don't they add weight that might be useful if they hit the wall? Or, they could make a triple that is not like my triple, with their normal two rings, and one mahoosive outer ring so they can still pedal on the downhill bits.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you get DA triples?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Can you get DA triples?
You could, but not now because they're not fashionable. I'm sure if a Pro Team asked, they could rustle one up!
Screenshot from 2018-09-19 17-55-37.png

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Because they don't actually lneed a granny ring ?

A lot of them still use the big ring on some climbs.
Hence my suggestion at the end of my post that they could use the extra range for even higher gears - having a triple just gives you more range, it doesn't have to be at the low end - so they could have the gears they have now, and even higher ones so they are able to pedal on the descents, even if it's just to kick out of the corners, it would add an advantage, surely?

Hence my suggestion at the end of my post that they could use the extra range for even higher gears - having a triple just gives you more range, it doesn't have to be at the low end - so they could have the gears they have now, and even higher ones so they are able to pedal on the descents, even if it's just to kick out of the corners, it would add an advantage, surely?

I would have thought that someone would have tried it possibly but I can't see how they would need three rings and they are doing over 80kph already on descents (on a 53t big ring).

As a 50+ year old roadie who averages around 30kph+ on rides I've never seen the need for a triple so can't see how a pro would need one.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
cos' they're ard.

The pirate thread is thataway……>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

MikeG

Guru
The great Andy Wilkinson, who has held every UK distance cycling record, still holds one of the Lejog records, and might still hold the world 24 hour record, uses a triple. If it is good enough for one of the country's greatest ever cyclists, it should be plenty good enough for mere mortals.

The real reason pros don't use triples is that they (well, their mechanics) simply change the rear cassette overnight when they swap from a flat ride to a mountainous ride or a TT.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Pro riders have used triples in the past, often on the steeper climbs of the Giro when it was wet and twiddling a low gear helps to keep the rear wheel from spinning up. Otherwise, as one of the Aussie riders said a few years ago when asked why he didn't use lower gears in the mountains, "It hurts just as much and the climb takes longer".

With 11 and even twelve speed cassettes they just don't need them to get up the climbs or down the descents. They are pretty fit, after all.

I think it's interesting what knees up is saying, and I don'the think that some of the replies are taking into account what he is saying about having a larger ring instead of a smaller one.

I mean surely if they go uphill on large cog then an even larger one for descents would be good.. and I thoughts the idea was that more gears on cassette was to bring ratios closer together, not give you higher/lower ratios?

Anyway, if I could ride like a pro then I'd love to have a 70 tooth outer ring - just think how cool you'd look going down the hill at 50mph grinding away while overtaking the guy spinning out... kinda like how the people feel when they're overtaken by an ebike I'm sure ...

Top Bottom