Wiggle to snap up its main competition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I used to buy a lot from Wiggle (Platinum membership) then I found they aren't really competitive anymore. Every now and again there's something that I can't find anywhere else but other than that rarely use them. I use CRC for some of their linked deals like a cassette and chain together. I find more and more of my stuff is coming from Tredz now and even Evans who seem to have worked out how the online market works again.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
CRC was better in price, service and delivery. Their website was also more intuitive and well laid out. And I guess the end of a good thing. Wiggle was decent but an obvious second to CRC. Not sure if the anti-competition laws are being breached. With Ribble sold to another investment fund 4 months ago, I guess we will have to strap ourselves in and watch the prices creeping up as investment funds are not there for the joy of cycling.

There is too much competition out there to allow anyone to hike prices by more than a tiny margin. Any online retailer who priced significantly above the norm would die overnight. We are never more than a mouse click or two away from comparing like with like.

contadino

Veteran
It worked out about 30% cheaper to buy from wiggle UK or .com than using wiggle Italia, plus wiggle Italia charged more for shipping to Italy than wiggle UK.

I think wiggle Italia shut down, and wiggle UK ramped up their overseas shipping costs so I haven't bought anything from them since.

Spa and George Hall get my (meagre) custom nowadays.

There is too much competition out there to allow anyone to hike prices by more than a tiny margin. Any online retailer who priced significantly above the norm would die overnight. We are never more than a mouse click or two away from comparing like with like.

The competition in pricing is between Wiggle and CRC. The rest are far behind. CTC and Wiggle can afford to get better pricing from suppliers because of its size. The combined size will be more impressive. Good luck with your mouse click.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's a land grab. The margins are very thin in online retailing, everyone can compare prices. The real winners online are those that can buy more cheaply and that depends on how much you buy

So any smart online retailer is looking at how to reduce their buy prices. Lump Wiggle's and CRC's volumes together and you may be able to negotiate better pricing from suppliers.

I'd be amazed if Wiggle/CRC prices increased as a result of this. There are too many online competitors and it's too easy to compare prices

mattobrien

Guru
And now it's confirmed: here

D

Deleted member 23692

BC discount has been getting worse and worse over time. I think you now need a minimum spend of £100
It's crap, but at least it's something. All Wiggle did was do a special BC webpage theme and charge the same price as non-members.

It'd be around that time I started using other web outlets, and there are some top notch smaller companies out there

Top Bottom