Winter gloves with "feel"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rob r

Hi,

I need advice from you good people on purchasing a pair of winter gloves which provide a good level of warmth for 50 mile rides in low temperatures but are not too thick and inflexible that I have trouble feeling where the finding and feeling gear changes and braking?

I do not feel the cold that badly but do live in the pennines and do enjoy getting on the hills in the wind and cold so this is important kit.

My present pair are warm but provide little"feel" and flexibility through the material - the web sites as usual have a multitude of claims but as usual its best to ask those who use them day in, day out and have a wealth of experience.
All advice much appreciated

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe layer up with several thinner pairs?

Or head to Evans or Decathlon with your bike and try a few out once the winter gloves start to arrive in the shops

I got some from Decathlon which work well (not that I tend to ride when it's cold enough for thick winter gloves :blush: )

S-Express

'Feel' is going to be directly proportional to the amount of insulation the gloves have. 'Low temperatures' is not going to be a precise enough definition for anyone to recommend anything useful, I would have thought. I have four pairs of winter gloves to choose from, depending on the temperature and conditions on the day. The warmest pair obviously has the most insulation and the least amount of feel, but that's the compromise you have to accept for having warm hands on the coldest days.

Cronorider

Gloves mean't for Alpine skiing can be very good - I have a very old pair that I use on the coldest days

lazyfatgit

I use a pair of Chiba windstopper gloves that are big enough to allow me to wear some thin cotton gloves inside if required. I also have some bellwether ones which are a tad thicker and much warmer but still have reasonable feel and not enough padding that it bumfles up. Used both of these when riding down to about -5C. I think the most important thing is the windproofness.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I assume fingerless gloves aren't enough? I have never had a problem with these even on the coldest winter days.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
A few years ago, I got a pair of Craft Storm gloves, which I absolutely loved - they're fairly lightweight and thin for winter gloves, and not very waterproof, but I found them perfect for winter audaxing. Unfortunately, I lost one and Craft no longer make them. I've tried their replacements in the Craft range but didn't like them nearly as much. Boo!

I also have some Madison Isoler thermal gloves, which are very thin and light (they're made of roubaix lycra), so not really suited to the very coldest days, and definitely not waterproof, but ideal throughout most of the British winter - and if you don't feel the cold too badly, they could be ideal.

Neoprene gloves are another option for wet riding. I have some Endura and Castelli ones, which I couldn't tell apart if I were blindfolded. They're good in the wet - they don't actually keep your hands dry but they do keep them warm. They do tend to get a bit sweaty if the temperature rises above ~10ºC though.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I assume fingerless gloves aren't enough? I have never had a problem with these even on the coldest winter days.

I once got to the start of an audax in early February to discover I'd left my gloves at home, and it was sub-zero at the start... For the first 20 minutes of riding, my fingers were almost frozen solid, but once I got my circulation going, I was absolutely fine and for the rest of the ride.

Drago

Legendary Member
Slightly irrelevant (forgive me) but funny. Many years back I drove a mate to Essex to collect a Honda Fireblade. No sooner did he discover that he'd forgotten his glove then of started sleeting...

I had a reel of gaffer tape in the car so wrapped up his fingers and hands

Top Bottom