Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Another 38.1 miles today, with the Kingsway CC, taking my year's total to over 1,300 - at least 500 more than ever before by the end of May.

A terrific ride today, out via Stonehouse and up the beautiful but quite fearsome Frocester Hill and then onwards towards Tetbury. Eight of my clubmates very sportingly gave me a five minute head start up the hill, and all but two of them still caught me before the top anyway. Even after six years of cycling I still climb like a stone, but I was content just to get up in one.

I had a couple of nice little diversions up my sleeve that I had been waiting to introduce my clubmates to, and today was the day. First we hung a left in Kingscote and diverted down a tiny little lane through a stunningly beautiful quiet valley that you would never guess was there. Then back onto the main Bath Road for a long,sweeping descent into Nailsworth. There we headed off as if to go up to Minchinhampton Common up the daunting climb known locally as the "W"., but hung a left after the cattlegrid and followed a narrow little street out through Theescombe instead. The road was quite steep in places, but picked its way beautifully through little hamlets of Cotswold stone cottages, with occasional stunning views across the valley to Woodchester from above the main road, which ran parallel below us.

Back home through Stroud and Stonehouse at speed, with occasional following winds. One of my favourite club rides so far. The club will be one year old next week, and our group rides have become one of the highlights of my calendar.... sometimes you just have to have something like that to look forward to, to get you through the crap days at w*rk.

Off up North to ride the Snake Pass on Wednesday, following @nickyboy's tip about the road closure. Can't wait.
Cheers, Donger.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've not long got back from a shortish ride with Doug to test out the new wheels and gears on his bike. We did the long version of my Acton Burnell route which involves climbing over Lyth Hill on the way out and the way back and gives scope for trying the whole range of the gears.

Doug seems pleased with the new set up, particularly as he found it easier to keep up the momentum on the way round. A couple of stops were needed for fine-tuning and I'll need to tweak the front derailleur a bit as it's slightly reluctant to drop into low range, other than that though it all seems good.

It's a little blustery out (just for a change :wacko:) which made the last few miles a little slow but we got round the 18.9 mile loop at a reasonable 12.5 mph average.

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
Well todays club ride wad 41.7 miles, I hadn't intended it to as many but as usual when approaching home and it's over 35 miles, I have to do 40!

Well the weather didn't look great but I didn't think that it would rain much, so it was on with leggings and the Club top, but with arms exposed as it didn't look to cold out. The reason for the leggings was wet ground and therefore overshoes too.

When I got to the meeting point there where 8 peeps waiting for me. Waiting for me was @Donger and @largie03. After 2 more arrived we set off.

Well the sky was looking angry but not enough to tip down. We headed off towards Stonehouse via Naas Lane, the roads seemed drier than I expected.

From Stonehouse it was through the lanes to Frocester, we halted at the bottom while Berney declothed abit. I swear the riders the otherside were watching lol.

Well I thought Frocester went quite well, we'll the first have did as I set a PB. But not the second half so I lost a PB for the whole of the hill.

As normal we always wait at the top for any to catch up. Today I had to wait for @Donger and Dave and Dean. Dean is suffering with a split knee cap!

From here itcwasca straight across and then turn left towards Kingscote. It's in a lovely Valley and the scenery is amazing. Then it was back to the A46 in Nailsworth and down the hill to the roundabout. Forward few moments we contemplate attempting The W. Then @Donger suggested another route that ran parallel to the A46.

The views again were superb the only down side was the end of the road which ended abruptly down hill. A nasty junction on to the A46 again.

So the A46 it was to go into Stroud, then in the rain it was left towards the dualcarriageway towards Stonehouse.

After arriving at Stonehouse it was decided that we would reverse they way we came to go back.

As usual I hate being at the back but my legs where beginning to ache. As we climbed towards the railway line at Standish I went passed Berney and started to chase down Lisa.

Coming to Naas Lane I noticed to guys in front and tried to chase them down along Naas Lane. I just couldn't do it.
At the junction while waiting for others to catch up Berney went straight through. Strava segment chasing I guess.

At the end of Naas Lane we regrouped and when @Donger caught up we were off. As it was close to the end I always like to be one of the first to finish point. Over the humps on Rudloe drive I closed in on Berney then got along side. At this point Berney shouted RACE! That was it there was noway I was going to loose this. At one point I thought I might as my legs didn't want to go. But I changed up and it was enough to get me to edge Berney out.

At the end the ride came in at just over 36 miles, so I then decided to divert towards Stonebench then up Fieldcourt Drive to take it over the 40 mile mark.

Well this was my last ride with the KCC while I'm in my 40's as I turn 50 in the week. It turned out to be a very enjoyable ride.

It looks as though my first ride in my 50's will be my longest I've ever done. As @Donger is on about doing the Severn Bridge loop on Saturday and I'm hoping to go with him.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I organised a scenic forum ride which took place yesterday and I thought I'd do my ride report here to get it a wider audience. Maybe the report will encourage more of you to turn out on my rides in future? Only @Littgull turned out to join me, which was a shame given how splendid the route is. Once again, he was kind enough to drive me out to Whalley where the ride started and finished.

The weather has been all over the place in recent weeks but we got lucky yesterday. It was still a bit windy but not so bad that it really affected the ride. It never created danger on the fast descents, and I don't remember any time where we were grovelling into a headwind. It did create a bit of a windchill but we had both dressed for it. The sun was actually shining off and on for the first half of the ride. It clouded over later, as forecast, but we didn't see any rain all day, which was nice! I had looked out of the window at 06:00 and it was pouring down then, and we got more rain here last night, but the ride itself was spared!

We set off from Whalley and had a nice easy warm up ride through Mitton, and then an easy drag up though Bashall Eaves to Cow Ark, where we took a right turn, and right again to join a lovely road that I first checked out last year when I did this route solo.

LittGull on road from Cow Ark, Three Peaks of Yorkshire Dales in the distance
Liitgull on road from Cow Ark to B6478.jpg

As you can see, there was not much traffic! We saw quite a few cyclists over the course of the day, but relatively few cars in most parts of the route.

We crossed the B6478 on its descent from Waddington Fell to Newton and continued for a more kms along our quiet lane before rejoining the B6478 as it comes up from Slaidburn.

We descended to Slaidburn and left it on the lovely road which eventually climbs the Cross o' Greet. I am definitely getting fitter! There are a couple of steepish sections on that climb which I found really hard when I was overweight. Yesterday, I didn't even have to use my smallest chainring to get up there.

We stopped at the summit to admire the views and take a few photos. We could see big hills in the distance straight ahead and I thought that they must be the Lakeland fells of Cumbria, confirmed by examination of my OS maps today.

Distant Lakeland fells from Cross o' Greet
View from Cross o Greet - NW to Cumbrian fells.jpg

I told Brian that the descent to follow was a glorious one, but to watch out for wandering sheep and tight bends. I nearly crashed on that descent the first time that I did it - I had been too busy enjoying the scenery to watch where I was going!

The first part of our descent yesterday was down the road in the photo above, and then we turned left towards Lowgill. We turned left again, rather than following the more obvious road to the right signposted Wray, which was where we were going to have our cafe stop. Brian asked if we were going the right way. We were, because I have found a really interesting little lane which takes a more direct route to the village, albeit with some steep descending and climbing on the way as we have to drop down into the valley to cross the river Hindburn. This lane almost fizzles out to a dirt track, but not quite! As Brian commented, it was almost like riding up someone's driveway.

When I did the route last year I discovered that the local council had resurfaced a few kms of the lane with immaculate new tarmac, and without any of those horrible chippings embedded in it. It is absolutely fabulous to cycle down, but I still can't get my head round why they did it! We have busy roads all over the place up here which are in an awful state, and here was road surface perfection serving just a few farms! In fact, at Wray, that road is signposted as a No Through Road. (Strictly, it isn't, as we demonstrated, but I can see why they want to discourage motor traffic from using it.) We speculated that either a local councillor lives up there, or the EU had decided to throw a few hundred grand into rural road maintenance in that part of England!

Soon enough we emerged into Wray. It looks a nice little village, though all we really saw of it was what we could see from our stop at Bridge House Farm Tearooms. There were already a few cyclists there ahead of us. Verdict on the tearooms ...? Excellent! It is a really nice place to stop, not the cheapest cafe in the world, but treat yourself - nice food and drink, lovely location, great farm buildings conversion, friendly staff. Tables outside for those sunny days, and plenty of room inside if the weather disappoints.

I fancied an ice cream after my scone and coffee. Brian wouldn't take any petrol money so I bought him an ice cream instead!

It was a very leisurely stop but even so, I was surprised to see that it was gone 15:00 when we finally got back on our bikes.

We rode back more briskly than we had done on our way out. On the 13 km section of road from Wray to Keasden we picked up a nice tailwind before turning right and beginning the climb to Bowland Knotts.

I got caught out by the climb in exactly the same way as last year! The road goes up and up and up, and then apparently reaches the summit. In fact, that point is only at an elevation of 305 metres. The road crests, flattens out for about a km, and then kicks back up towards the actual summit which is at an elevation of 422 metres.

We stopped up there for some more scenery-ogling and to take some more pictures.

Littgull at Bowland Knotts, with Pendle Hill 20 km to the south behind him
Littgull and view south from Bowland Knotts to Pendle Hill.jpg

I gave another warning about the following descent. It was probably not needed because Brian is a careful descender, but better safe than sorry, eh! Years ago my pal Bill got distracted by the scenery down there, veered off the road, got launched over his handlebars and headbutted a dry stone wall! Yesterday, I spotted the exact place that he did it. He was really lucky not to have maimed or killed himself. I'll Streetview it for you ... HERE!

The road continues down through Gisburn Forest, crosses the causeway at Stocks Reservoir, and then climbs back up for a while before a nice long descent to the village of Holden, where we turned right and began the last leg of our ride, all but one hill now behind us.

As we proceeded along the road between Holden and Grindleton we increasingly picked up a headwind, but not enough to worry us. What was more worrying was the fact that road was surprisingly busy, and that a few of the drivers were MGPTC (Must Get Past The Cyclists) d*ckheads! You know the type - slow-moving traffic 50 yards ahead of the cyclists, oncoming traffic, drivers accelerate hard to get by, then veer in to avoid head on collisions, almost side-swiping the cyclists off the road, and then slam brakes on to avoid rear-ending the vehicle in front. The cyclists then catch up and are held up by the cars! :wacko::cursing:

Once we had passed through Grindleton, most of the traffic went straight on towards Chatburn and Clitheroe. I made the mistake of going that way last year. This time we turned right and took the quiet route through West Bradford, Waddington and Bashall Town, before returning by the same road through Mitton that we had come out on in the morning.

I don't remember riding up the little hill from Whalley to the car park at Spring Wood, which probably confirms my improving fitness. I am usually grovelling by the time I get there at the end of my forum rides, and grovelling sticks in the mind! :laugh:

We spotted something a bit disturbing in the car park - new Pay and Display signs. That car park has always been free, so Brian was a bit concerned that he might have got a parking fine. It turns out that the machine is not connected up yet so we were ok. Just a warning though - remember to buy a ticket if you park there once the scheme comes into force! (Charges are (initially, at least!) only going to be £1 for the day, so nowt to worry about. Revenue to go towards maintenance costs for the visitor centre, car park, and grounds.)

I enjoyed my day out with Brian. It is just a pity that more of you couldn't make it!

Oh, my distance for the day including to and from lifts was 110 km (69 miles).

**** I am doing a 200 km forum ride in Cheshire on Sat, 27th June. The idea is that it will be 'audax-style'. If any of you have ever fancied doing a longer ride, this might be one for you. SEE THIS THREAD.

thetribe

Über Member
Had a busy month and struggled to get my 100 for the month and to hit my 50 in one ride, thankfully I managed both in the last few days.
http://www.strava.com/activities/312376103 - 26/05/2015 - 27.3 miles
http://www.strava.com/activities/314679992 - 30/05/2015 - 31.4 miles (50+km)
http://www.strava.com/activities/315705020 - 31/05/2015 - 19.7 miles

These boost me up to 100.4 miles for the month keeping me on track for my #12x100 for 2015, I was way ahead of this in miles last year but I'm just happy I'm still getting out there, even if not as much as I'd like.

05-May.jpg

I organised a scenic forum ride which took place yesterday and I thought I'd do my ride report here to get it a wider audience. Maybe the report will encourage more of you to turn out on my rides in future? Only @Littgull turned out to join me, which was a shame given how splendid the route is. Once again, he was kind enough to drive me out to Whalley where the ride started and finished.

The weather has been all over the place in recent weeks but we got lucky yesterday. It was still a bit windy but not so bad that it really affected the ride. It never created danger on the fast descents, and I don't remember any time where we were grovelling into a headwind. It did create a bit of a windchill but we had both dressed for it. The sun was actually shining off and on for the first half of the ride. It clouded over later, as forecast, but we didn't see any rain all day, which was nice! I had looked out of the window at 06:00 and it was pouring down then, and we got more rain here last night, but the ride itself was spared!

We set off from Whalley and had a nice easy warm up ride through Mitton, and then an easy drag up though Bashall Eaves to Cow Ark, where we took a right turn, and right again to join a lovely road that I first checked out last year when I did this route solo.

LittGull on road from Cow Ark, Three Peaks of Yorkshire Dales in the distance
View attachment 90400

As you can see, there was not much traffic! We saw quite a few cyclists over the course of the day, but relatively few cars in most parts of the route.

We crossed the B6478 on its descent from Waddington Fell to Newton and continued for a more kms along our quiet lane before rejoining the B6478 as it comes up from Slaidburn.

We descended to Slaidburn and left it on the lovely road which eventually climbs the Cross o' Greet. I am definitely getting fitter! There are a couple of steepish sections on that climb which I found really hard when I was overweight. Yesterday, I didn't even have to use my smallest chainring to get up there.

We stopped at the summit to admire the views and take a few photos. We could see big hills in the distance straight ahead and I thought that they must be the Lakeland fells of Cumbria, confirmed by examination of my OS maps today.

Distant Lakeland fells from Cross o' Greet
View attachment 90401

I told Brian that the descent to follow was a glorious one, but to watch out for wandering sheep and tight bends. I nearly crashed on that descent the first time that I did it - I had been too busy enjoying the scenery to watch where I was going!

The first part of our descent yesterday was down the road in the photo above, and then we turned left towards Lowgill. We turned left again, rather than following the more obvious road to the right signposted Wray, which was where we were going to have our cafe stop. Brian asked if we were going the right way. We were, because I have found a really interesting little lane which takes a more direct route to the village, albeit with some steep descending and climbing on the way as we have to drop down into the valley to cross the river Hindburn. This lane almost fizzles out to a dirt track, but not quite! As Brian commented, it was almost like riding up someone's driveway.

When I did the route last year I discovered that the local council had resurfaced a few kms of the lane with immaculate new tarmac, and without any of those horrible chippings embedded in it. It is absolutely fabulous to cycle down, but I still can't get my head round why they did it! We have busy roads all over the place up here which are in an awful state, and here was road surface perfection serving just a few farms! In fact, at Wray, that road is signposted as a No Through Road. (Strictly, it isn't, as we demonstrated, but I can see why they want to discourage motor traffic from using it.) We speculated that either a local councillor lives up there, or the EU had decided to throw a few hundred grand into rural road maintenance in that part of England!

Soon enough we emerged into Wray. It looks a nice little village, though all we really saw of it was what we could see from our stop at Bridge House Farm Tearooms. There were already a few cyclists there ahead of us. Verdict on the tearooms ...? Excellent! It is a really nice place to stop, not the cheapest cafe in the world, but treat yourself - nice food and drink, lovely location, great farm buildings conversion, friendly staff. Tables outside for those sunny days, and plenty of room inside if the weather disappoints.

I fancied an ice cream after my scone and coffee. Brian wouldn't take any petrol money so I bought him an ice cream instead!

It was a very leisurely stop but even so, I was surprised to see that it was gone 15:00 when we finally got back on our bikes.

We rode back more briskly than we had done on our way out. On the 13 km section of road from Wray to Keasden we picked up a nice tailwind before turning right and beginning the climb to Bowland Knotts.

I got caught out by the climb in exactly the same way as last year! The road goes up and up and up, and then apparently reaches the summit. In fact, that point is only at an elevation of 305 metres. The road crests, flattens out for about a km, and then kicks back up towards the actual summit which is at an elevation of 422 metres.

We stopped up there for some more scenery-ogling and to take some more pictures.

Littgull at Bowland Knotts, with Pendle Hill 20 km to the south behind him
View attachment 90406

I gave another warning about the following descent. It was probably not needed because Brian is a careful descender, but better safe than sorry, eh! Years ago my pal Bill got distracted by the scenery down there, veered off the road, got launched over his handlebars and headbutted a dry stone wall! Yesterday, I spotted the exact place that he did it. He was really lucky not to have maimed or killed himself. I'll Streetview it for you ... HERE!

The road continues down through Gisburn Forest, crosses the causeway at Stocks Reservoir, and then climbs back up for a while before a nice long descent to the village of Holden, where we turned right and began the last leg of our ride, all but one hill now behind us.

As we proceeded along the road between Holden and Grindleton we increasingly picked up a headwind, but not enough to worry us. What was more worrying was the fact that road was surprisingly busy, and that a few of the drivers were MGPTC (Must Get Past The Cyclists) d*ckheads! You know the type - slow-moving traffic 50 yards ahead of the cyclists, oncoming traffic, drivers accelerate hard to get by, then veer in to avoid head on collisions, almost side-swiping the cyclists off the road, and then slam brakes on to avoid rear-ending the vehicle in front. The cyclists then catch up and are held up by the cars! :wacko::cursing:

Once we had passed through Grindleton, most of the traffic went straight on towards Chatburn and Clitheroe. I made the mistake of going that way last year. This time we turned right and took the quiet route through West Bradford, Waddington and Bashall Town, before returning by the same road through Mitton that we had come out on in the morning.

I don't remember riding up the little hill from Whalley to the car park at Spring Wood, which probably confirms my improving fitness. I am usually grovelling by the time I get there at the end of my forum rides, and grovelling sticks in the mind! :laugh:

We spotted something a bit disturbing in the car park - new Pay and Display signs. That car park has always been free, so Brian was a bit concerned that he might have got a parking fine. It turns out that the machine is not connected up yet so we were ok. Just a warning though - remember to buy a ticket if you park there once the scheme comes into force! (Charges are (initially, at least!) only going to be £1 for the day, so nowt to worry about. Revenue to go towards maintenance costs for the visitor centre, car park, and grounds.)

I enjoyed my day out with Brian. It is just a pity that more of you couldn't make it!

Oh, my distance for the day including to and from lifts was 110 km (69 miles).

**** I am doing a 200 km forum ride in Cheshire on Sat, 27th June. The idea is that it will be 'audax-style'. If any of you have ever fancied doing a longer ride, this might be one for you. SEE THIS THREAD.

Phew, I've finally managed to log on to CC after a hectic day of family commitments and work catch up.
A great report, Colin and you have captured every detail perfectly. I immensely enjoyed the ride, the café stop and your company too. It was an absolutely stunning route and the pictures illustrate how remote and quiet the roads were apart from the brief bit near the end when we encountered a few idiots in their 'tin boxes'.
Yesterday only went to further confirm how much effort and planning you put into developing your forum rides and it is really appreciated.
Looking forward to the Cheshire ride at the end of June. I'm not very familiar with that part of the north west and will follow with interest as the suggestions come in regarding the best starting/parking point.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10 miles my ride this day, expedition tourer testing. The Schwinn Impact won the coveted drop-bar award, got to be made into the touring bike for 26" as it ticked all the boxes, having good characteristics for the conversion, which occurred after two or three hours of fettling. Had a nice ride on my usual circuit. A cold day for it, and overcast. The wind was not overblown today, at least, and it was a pleasant ride. 55F winds NE 16 mph. I saw a small mammal, an otter, muskrat, or beaver, swimming in Seven-Mile Creek.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yesterday only went to further confirm how much effort and planning you put into developing your forum rides and it is really appreciated.

Top work from @ColinJ

No Through Roads that are through roads are not something you will find on internet mapping sites.

There's no substitute for local knowledge and a cyclist who can be bothered to have a proper scope about.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Top work from @ColinJ

No Through Roads that are through roads are not something you will find on internet mapping sites.

There's no substitute for local knowledge and a cyclist who can be bothered to have a proper scope about.
On the road between Wray and Keasden we came to a Road Closed sign with a diversion. It would have involved a significant change of route to go that way so we pressed on, knowing that it is usually*** possible to get through by bicycle.

Sure enough, the problem eventually turned out to be roadworks only a couple of metres in length. There was a trench cut across the road, but it did not even go all the way across. We had no difficulty getting by.

*** I told Brian of one notable exception to that rule which I experienced when I was riding to the start of an audax event. I had planned to use a small lane from Milnrow which eventually came out near event HQ in Rochdale and which would save me riding down some busy A-roads which I would be riding along shortly on the event itself.

Road Closed!

Not for Intrepid Cycling Man, it wasn't! I continued past the huge sign. And then the even bigger sign. I even did some extreme cyclocross to get my bike up over a 4 ft diameter concrete pipe laid across the road.

And then I came to an 8 ft high fence across the road!

Beyond it lay a vast area of devastation with heavy earth-moving plant in operation. I found out later that they were building a new junction for the M62, a new A-road to link to it, and lots of new business premises.

Ok ... ROAD CLOSED! :okay:

Top Bottom