Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
2 rides today. Technically commuting, I guess.
First ride was 2.98 miles down the Marriotts and Norwich Cycle paths, into work for a First Aid at Work course. That was quite fun. After that, I thought that I would take the long way home, with no particular route in mind, I rode off down St Saviours Lane in Norwich and got onto the riverside path and slowly rode along there, over the bridge and kept going to the King Street Bridge and just kept going.
I didn't fancy going home really. Hubster said that he felt unwell and I just couldn't face mucking out the bathroom again (daily thing now) so I headed off to Whittlingham and then up past the whatever it is plant there, and then turned left - away from the city - and went to Kirby Bedon, then on to Poringland. Stoke Holy Cross next and then Caistor St Edmund, where the roman town of Venta Icenorum was.
IMG_0055%20800x598.jpg
and
IMG_0056%20598x800.jpg
Couple of quick views of it for you. You used to be able to run about in the middle but it's full of livestock at the mo. I did a lot of filming there in my days of being a historical extra.
Back on the road and heading towards Norwich (missed a turning) so turned off for Trowse and then followed the ring road cycle paths to Lakenham and then home via the Cattlemarket, the cycle path by Eaton Golf Course and then Bluebell. My back was aching a little after crawling about on the floor, administering CPR to armless & legless dummy doll things.

Hubster still abed when I got in so here I am, logging my ride with a nice cuppa.

D

Deleted member 23692

I arose at 4:00am with every intention of getting out early for a decent ride on my road bike, which I've been ignoring this year in favour of my MTB and Hybrid. Shortly after my hearty breakfast I got struck down with a sever case of 'farting around' which lasted close on 12 hours meaning my bike tyre didn't touch tarmac till 16:00 this afternoon.

Anyhoo eventually manged 31 non-stop miles in the windy sunshine.

4933509.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Today was June's imperial century a month challenge. With one of my usual partners @rb58 . And what a glorious day it was too. Not a cloud in the sky at 5.30am this morning... No clouds.. but about 40 of these things..

070615 Balloons.jpg

070615 balloons 3.jpg

Anyway.. an early start meant meeting Ross at the Dartford Crossing at 7.30am to get the free cycle transport over to Essex.. We were off to Tiptree. To the Tiptree Jam Factory for Brekkie.

070615 Tiptree.jpg

And what a fine brekkie it is too... beans in a Ramekin... you know that's a seriously good brekkie..:okay:

070615 Brekkie.jpg

There was a cheeky headwind on the way out which built up a nice appetite.. our brekkies didn't even touch the sides. Going home was going to be much easier..with a lovely tailwind at times giving us a helping hand. We got lost a little bit.. but no matter, each cycle ride is an adventure right?

Miles and miles and miles of country lane riding with a few fast B and A roads thrown in for good measure meant we were back in the outskirts of London in no time at all. The hot weather meant a couple of stops to get some more fluids and munchies. I take Ross to all the best places. You really can't beat an Esso Garage in Dagenham betwixt a graveyard and a flyover.
070615 Ross.jpg

From Dagenham, it was a blast through crappy London traffic and crappy London drivers to the Woolwich ferry to take us back over the Thames to Sarf East Landahn and back home.

070615 Ferry.jpg

070615 Ferry 2.jpg

So 125 miles on the clock. I used sunscreen, Ross said he didn't need any when on the bike but now wishes he did.
Home and something to wet the old whistle to get some fluids back in the body...:cheers:
20150607_161520.jpg

Century # 15 for 2015 and my 150 Century over all. Am very chuffed with that.
070615 map.jpg

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
Headed out to Martina Franca to start with. There's quite a big hill on the way (about 1km long and gets steeper the closer you get to the top) and I think I'm getting better at it. I wish I could say the same about the approach to the town which seems tougher each time.

Then on to Locorotondo. Love the countryside around there. It's all vineyards and wheat rather than olives. Turns out that the town has a picturesque side and I found a great bar to stop in for a coffee. The views extended the whole south side of the Val d'Itria.

The road to Cisternino is a great ride, and almost deserted since the new road has been opened. Had trouble getting out of Cisternino due to the towns roads being closed due to a go cart race. Some old fellas hoiked my bike over a wall while I clambered through an ambulance. I got 20 questions about the bike, but they let me go in the end.

Next the road took me to Ostuni where every dad seemed to be out cycling with his kids. Literally hundreds of kids all over the place. If there was a route I think the organisers were keeping it to themselves. Stopped for coffee and got given a plate of polpeti. They were quite salty and by this point it was quite warm, so my last leg got cut short as dehydration had set in.

67km, 700-odd metres of climbing, 21kph average.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I arose at 4:00am with every intention of getting out early for a decent ride on my road bike, which I've been ignoring this year in favour of my MTB and Hybrid. Shortly after my hearty breakfast I got struck down with a sever case of 'farting around' which lasted close on 12 hours meaning my bike tyre didn't touch tarmac till 16:00 this afternoon.

Anyhoo eventually manged 31 non-stop miles in the windy sunshine.

4933509.png

I know that sentiment so well only i call it faffing and i have heard it called furtling. Anyhow it can last as you say for hours and then before you know it it's too late to do what you started to do in the first place.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
A quick hour n a bit, 21 miles at 16mph average, felt pretty good.
The tour of Cambridge started off about 1/4 mile from my house, 8.30am and there were hundreds of cars, most carrying bikes, queuing to get into the Peterborough showground, the starting point. My route was intermittently blocked by the race route but got through those points...never did see any of the riders or race itself.
Its coming....my fitness. Im surprised to find myself able to maintain reasonable speed on the flat, the inclines do me though, they slow me right down.
Got some stomach to get rid of :blush:..must keep going.
Is anyone like me...i set out steady, no rushing around today...just a steady one, then a couple miles later, youre haring along :thumbsup:^_^. Just cant do It any other way.

jhawk

Veteran
Went out for that birthday ride!

Birthday Ride.JPG

A little 12.4 miler. Right along the coast. Absolutely breathtaking. You know, sometimes I give this part of the province a hard time for not having any prospective future, but by God, it's beautiful in the summer.

Here are a series of pictures from the ride.
DSC_0024.JPG

The road leading to the coast.

DSC_0025.JPG

The rest stop and the view! (Prince Edward Island is across the river).

DSC_0026.JPG

I was riding the Acadian Coastal Route - a 750 kilometre stretch which goes down the coast, and passes through myriad towns along the way, which are affiliated with the Acadian culture.
DSC_0031.JPG

Through the spokes...
DSC_0038.JPG

I spotted this little fellow on the side of the road!
DSC_0039.JPG

Gained a year in age, but not in maturity, evidently. ;) :giggle:(I didn't spray around it, just noticed it as I was riding).

Not a bad birthday ride overall!

Attachments

• DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 35

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@gbb yes i find the same

my ride today started well intended a 25 miler but things didnt feel right in the legs department around the 11 mile mark so took decision to head homeward and do some fettling instead so ended up doing 15 mile ride and 2.5 mile test ride after the fettling .

Then this afternoon whilst cleaning the bike i noticed a thick layer of brake dust all over the bike , it seems the fr caliper was dragging no wonder the legs felt strange

Mike_P

Guru
Another 15 mile late this afternoon with a sufficently strong wind to ensure all the local wind turbines were moving, usually a number are stationary. At the 10.3 mile mark came one of the local nastys, a 560m long climb with a peak gradient of 11.7% despite its 6% overall gradient. The next climb over 1.2km is rated at 5% and the contrast was quite marked with an average speed 49% faster being achieved.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Today I rode out to Holmfirth and up the recently monikered Cote de Holmfirth (or Greenfield Road if you're not a Francophile) then down into Meltham, up the other side and over to Blackmoorfoot Reservoir.

A view over the Holme Valley
DSC_0330.jpg

A lumpy bit in the distance. Probably one of them Pennines.
DSC_0332.jpg

Blackmoorfoot Reservoir! Some cows!
DSC_0333.jpg

40.8 miles with 2,108 ft of climbing. :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/320207894

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
16 miles this day, between storms.
Trail%20Flooding_edited-1_zpsriwdn5ab.jpg
We had some heavy rains and thunderstorms this morning, with more forecast for the afternoon. I figured I had about two hours, after walking dogs and fettling Austro Daimler brakes, so off I went on the Specialized Sirrus. Some of the trail was flooded, but I went on, as it was not very deep.
Rails%20to%20Trails_edited-1_zpsddhbkw37.jpg
I passed this old railroad(Illinois Central) signal, here from before the trail, when this was a railroad, with a spur that served the General Electric Plant. Both plant and railroad are gone.
Approaching%20Storm_edited-1_zpsiaeeegze.jpg
Weather again started to approach as I made my way through the countryside toward home. Right on schedule, on both counts.
Storm%20and%20Barn_edited-1_zps6dpjhtvm.jpg
Not a moment too soon. I had time to let dogs out and get all things squared away before the next line of storms hit. They are still going on, as of this writing.
Edit: We received 2.4 inches of rain, between morning and evening storms.

Last edited:

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't think I've ever been to JingJiang, is it nice? I remember quite a few years ago going to Nantong from Shanghai and having to take the ferry across the Yangtze....which probably dates me a bit.

As well as not having access to a decent bike when I'm in China I would be very nervous of the standard of driving. How do you find it?

JingJiang is a relatively small town by Chinese standard but I find it OK and it's easy to get into the countryside for a ride. Taking a ferry across the Yangtze was a while ago now as there are several bridges at fairly regular intervals covering most of the lower river areas although there are still some ferries running at Jiangyin and Nantong. It's now possible to get from Nantong or JingJiang to go directly to Pudong Airport without going through Shanghai and it takes just a little over two hours when the traffic is fairly light in the early morning. The less said about the driving the better and the number of cars on the road now is staggering.

Top Bottom