Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
Nice gentle 15 miles this morning on a newly finished Ridley Crossbow sorted a few little things en route, still some to do. Ride's nice

WP_20150906_001.jpg
WP_20150906_003.jpg
WP_20150906_006.jpg

Tin Pot

Guru
Climbed 474m

Crikey it was nippy out there!

Rode in the beautiful sunshine, watching the sheep having their breakfast, and the morning dew evaporate.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
September has come round so it's time for a new Century Challenge ride.

This time I wanted to do something a bit special before the dark mornings and evenings draw in too much so had a look at a route I'd intended to do earlier in the summer. The idea was to go to Lake Vyrnwy, then over the hills to Bala, northwards to Corwen then to Llangollen and onto the canal towpath to Chirk and finally back through Oswestry to Shrewsbury. I'd be riding to places I'd never cycled to before and all being well would have an new personal best mileage at the end.

Setting out yesterday morning it was into damp and drizzly weather (not for the first time this year) with a northerly wind which I was riding against for the first bit. The ride out through the lanes to Knockin went smoothly then there was the busier road to Llynclys and up the lush, green Tanat Valley.

The first big climb of the day is from Penybontfawr over to Llanwddyn through some fabulous wild-looking scenery. A short gentle climb then brings the dam holding back Llyn Efyrnwy into view. To be sure of getting the mileage I wanted from this ride I did an anti-clockwise lap of the lake first and had a break for a hot chocolate at the cafe before riding to the far end of the lake again and onto new ground. I was taking the road to Bala via Cwm Hirnant (confusingly, I'd already ridden through a valley called Cwm Hirnant earlier on :wacko:) This involved a long and fairly steep climb and being 55 miles into the ride I had to resort to dropping into my very lowest gear and just winding my way up. I'm glad I didn't take the other possible route which comes out part way up the Bwlch Y Groes climb.:ohmy: The scenery was well worth the effort though - it looked epic and I was disappointed that my photos don't capture the true majesty of it.

The descent into Bala is a pretty long one. I didn't detour into the town itself but got a glimpse at the lake and had my lunch at the Bala Lake Railway station, where my timing was good and I was able to see a train come in.

The legs were definitely stiffening up now so I had to take it a bit carefully on the road to Corwen which is undulating. I started to suffer from occasional cramp on this section too which isn't something I normally get (afterwards sometimes, but not while riding). I made it though and took to the roads on the northern side of the valley (to avoid the A5) heading for Llangollen.

I'd not gone far before taking a bit of an unintended detour. Climbing up a hill and cursing whoever built this road, I realised that it seemed to be taking me away from the valley with no sign of swinging round to the right as I was expecting. Checking the map I'd managed to turn off not one but two junctions too early. Oops!:blush: The correct road was much easier going.

There were some issues with traffic on these narrow lanes - there's no room for two cars to pass each other for quite a way and not many passing places.

I was flagging quite a bit by the time I got to Llangollen so was glad to stop, have a bite to eat and a short rest.

Moving on again I was heading for the canal towpath. I could have joined it at Llangollen or in Trevor but decided to follow the A539 for a short way then take the lanes through the valley and join the canal at Froncysyllte.

The towpath avoids using some major trunk roads but you pay for this with an awful tarmac surface for a couple of miles and a very tricky narrow bit through a tunnel (very glad I had my lights with me). The rest of the path is fine gravel which is much better quality for riding.

I passed the 100 mile mark before reaching Weston Rhyn, had another bite to eat at Oswestry then tacked the final push for home. That northerly wind was behind me now and from Oswestry it's slightly down hill for about five miles so despite being very tired now I was able to enjoy a good run of 20mph+ cruising. Around here I was unsure about getting the mileage I was aiming for so added in an extra bit through Maesbrook (and another bit round Argoed when in my tired state I missed a junction).

Making it to Great Ness it was only ten miles left to home but I could hardly turn the pedals and was feeling quite saddle sore. The jelly babies had been opened so these and stubbornness carried me through very slowly to the end.

A lot of firsts for new places visited but most importantly a new personal best for distance of 131.2 miles :wahhey:giving me my first metric double century. It took 12 hours and 45 minutes including stops with a moving average of 12.4 mph.:heat:

I need a different saddle or a recumbent bike if I'm going to try and better this.:blink:

DSC0002709.jpg

Damp in Penybontfawr. I love how not just the scenery but the architecture changes when crossing the border.

DSC0002710.jpg

Taken at Cwmwr. Made me smile

DSC0002716.jpg

At Vyrnwy. I've already done a lap of the lake, had my hot chocolate and am about to set off to unexplored territory.

DSC0002723.jpg

Entering my third county of the day. There will be five in all.

DSC0002724.jpg

Magnificent scenery!

DSC0002741.jpg

A slight distraction at my lunch stop. Maid Marian is prepared for her next trip.

DSC0002755.jpg

More gentle, but still fabulous scenery as I follow the River Dee to Llangollen.

DSC0002760.jpg

Crossing over the River Dee for the last time this trip with a glimpse of Thomas Telford's Pontcysyllte Aquaduct as the backdrop.

DSC0002765.jpg

Froncysylle is a much prettier place viewed from the canal than it appears when rushing through on the A5

DSC0002768.jpg

One from Oswestry that didn't quite work but I'll include anyway: On the left we have Sweeney Todd's barbers, on the right the Little Pie Shop. Yes it's for real and no the businesses aren't connected (or so they claim :whistle:) Here's an article (with a better photo) about it in the local paper: http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2015/07/29/oswestry-businesses-make-it-a-short-back-and-pies/

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well today's ride should have happened two weeks ago but the weather was down to its normal summer standards.

Our longest ride to date was 62 miles earlier in the year. So today Mrs T and I set off to do our first imperial century ^_^

So today after 9 hours 40 minutes, 8 hours 12 minutes moving at 12.7 mph average. View attachment 102733
Quite cold in the morning, with our numb feet wishing we had worn over shoes.
Two very knackered cyclists tonight.

Derek
:bravo: Well done!

SteveF

I've decided I don't like hills, the combination of me (old and overweight) and my hybrid (bit heavy) makes them, well hard!

On holiday in the Peak District and decided to take the bike, did a run out from Buxton to Monsal Head and back thankfully some of the route was on the Monsal Trail, which only has a slight incline..

Buxton-Monsal Head.png

The view from the Monsal Trail near Cresswell:
WP_20150906_09_08_36_Pro.jpg

Crossing the river just before the climb up to Monsal Head:
WP_20150906_09_13_57_Pro.jpg

And the view from Monsal Head back down to the bottom of the valley, bottom of the climb up!:
WP_20150906_09_22_27_Pro.jpg

Couple of stats for the ride:
Distance: 33.6km (not exactly massive)
Elevation Gain: 543m
Max Speed: 59.2kph (fastest I've been on a cycle and believe me I was bleeding the speed off with the brakes!)

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Heavy night last night. Lovely Wife & I drank way too much whilst playing 'Name that Tune' in drunken state and didn't get to bed untill 3am. Ended up getting up again at 5am and cooking bacon sandwiches that we ate outside in the dark - head felt a bit fuzzy but it was lovely! We live in middle of nowhere and it was pitch black and v.romantic. :smooch:

Went back to bed and got up again at 7.30am feeling like a bag of nails but happy that we are growing old disgracefully. :laugh:

Forced myself onto bike later in the morning and did this:

22.32 miles / av' speed 13.67 mph / ascent 1414' / max grade 11.1%.

We were supposed to be going for a long low-level walk this pm but have now decided that a couple of miles around fields will be just fine.

All in all a lovely ride on a lovely day in a lovely part of the world. V.happy.

RWGPS plot of Huffing/Puffing Ups and Whizzing Downs:

060915.jpg

midlife

Guru
Which part of Cumbria Mr Spokeydokey?

Shaun

Today was a ride With a difference as, for the first time, I went on a group run. During my regular pootles around the Kentish lanes, I often see groups of riders from Thanet R.C. who usually whip by me,casually talking about this and that, at obscene speeds!
You lot say," go out with a group, increase your speed" so I did!
As with all good things, I nearly messed it up before I started.! I had an 8 mile ride to the meeting point and I had done 4 of those when I remembered that I hadn't fitted netbook bag

Continuation due to ineptitude!
What I didn't fit was my tool bag so, round I went, retrieved said bag and off again. This time I had to ride like a proper cyclist!! Arrived ok ,met a few people, was told that this morning's run was the "hilly" one and off we went.
If you cycle where I live, there are not too many places that are new but I did find new ways to get there! Coped pretty well with the flat bits but, whilst I has no problems with the climbs, was slower than most of the others! One chap, Andy, was particularly friendly and welcoming but he must have thought that I was an un-communicative sod and he was holding a normal conversation as I was wheezing up the hill out of Bridge!!
All ended up at the Adelaide Cafe at Worth,( @Hill Wimp country), cup of tea and a bun, then various routes home.
I did 65 miles and thoroughly enjoyed it. I shall go again!!

Buck

Guru
Was supposed to be going out with my friend but higher powers held him back with domestic chores ;) so I went out solo.

The day was as good as it was forecast - lovely and sunny but with a bit of a breeze which was quite a bit stronger on the tops.

This was my first ride out with my shorter stem (110mm to 80mm) and everything felt good.

I did one of my usual loops but then fancied going a bit further as it was such a lovely day so did a quick 6 mile extra loop.

Just over 21 miles
https://www.strava.com/activities/386081390

PS I need to remember to stop to take photos!

jayonabike