Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Quickie tonight. Weather was not so good today, windy but dry. I had a ton of stuff to do indoors so couldn't get out. However, I rode off to my new Slimming World group tonight in Trimley St Martin. Dry and windy on the way there, not so windy and pouring with rain on the way back. There took me 18 mins back took me 14 mins. Very slow Home to Sausage shop tonight 16:50, which was attrocious. Must be because it was closed. No motivation to get there, see.

Boringly, I have 9 miles to go to hit my November target. I've just tagged them on to December's target as there is no way I am going out in that lot, thank you very much. Total ride was 31 minutes and 50 seconds for 7.74 miles of riding. All cycling kit in the wash as I got soaked over less than 4 miles, it waited for me to get to the road, then ronked it down.

Got home, ready for my nice chicken chilli with rice. All warming and lovely. 'where is it' says I to Hubster. He is all 'oh sorry, I didn't think you meant it when you asked me to took tea' :banghead: Seriously considering Ebaying him.

In case anyone is interested:
There;https://www.strava.com/activities/442188449
Back; https://www.strava.com/activities/442189425

Last edited:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
Just one of my regular weekday rides today with the only significance being that it meant I have ridden at least once a week every week for the last 12 months. ^_^

It was mild & dry but a bit breezy as I set off to the flatter south side of the New Forest, heading through Colbury, past Beaulieu & through St Leonards & Norleywood before turning back for the return leg via Lyndhurst & Ashurst for home for a pleasant 32 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/442512399

001.JPG

The waves on Hatchetts Pond give an idea of just how breezy it was.

004.JPG

Quiet roads apart from the ponies!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just the commute today but my first ride since last thursday so I appreciated getting out on the bike. The ride in was pretty routine with a long wait to get out into traffic on the main road then cruising along quite nicely with a good tailwind once I got onto the lanes and all the drivers I met on the way were polite and friendly.:okay:

The road from Atcham to Upton Magna was busier than normal as people find alternative routes to avoid the section by my work which is closed at the moment. I've no idea how long the closure is due to last but it was quite nice riding that last bit with almost no traffic on - the only overtake was from my boss who says I was really motoring.^_^

On the way back the wind had dropped so it was a very pleasant ride in the gathering darkness with a wonderful afterglow silhouetting the hills against the horizon and the odd bat flitting round overhead.

The only thing that spoiled it was when I found one of the lanes I used this morning has had the hedges trimmed during the day.:angry: A pox on people who flail hedges and leave the cuttings everywhere - I hope their tractor tyres puncture.:evil:

Fortunately my puncture resistant tyres did their job and I didn't suffer a deflation on the way home. I've pulled about half a dozen thorns out of both tyres this evening without hearing the dreaded hiss so I may have just got away with it

Another 20 miles to add to the tally.

DSC0003006.jpg

On the way to work, a pause to look at the rising river level at Atcham.

DSC0003007.jpg

From the old bridge - the garden is disappearing underwater at the Mytton and Mermaid.

13 rider

Guru
Most roads round here are so heavily ridden that even with major help from the wind, it is a struggle to break even into top 10
Same here really normally of most segments Im in the hundreds . But there are always some obscure segments to be found that not many ride . The segment we are taking about is a deadend with bollards at the end .that you can ride a bike through but not many do . Try ride on some different side road any you might stumble on a new segment .

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After a midnight finish at w*rk and getting up at 07:30 this morning, Mrs Pete had booked me for helping Spring Clean (?) the lounge... Pulling all the furniture out and hoovering behind it (we did this in the summer.. it's getting a bit regular now!) Anyway, a mate had until 13:00 to ride, so I managed to get parole by 10 ish and set of to drink a cuppa at his place before heading up the Brampton Valley and through the Kelmarsh and Oxendon tunnels to the Waterloo Cafe for a slice of cake..

I've grabbed a vid of the ride through the tunnels before, but only a hand-held phone one. This time I took my Virb.

It was quite mucky out after the rain we've been having, but my mudguards did a cracking job of keeping me clean, with only my legs getting some mud splashing up them through the claggier bits. I didn't even have to wash my jacket or shorts!! Bob, by the time we finished, however, looked like someone had thrown buckets of mudballs at him :giggle:

DSC_2865.JPG

I'm afraid my new helmet clashes a bit with their coffee cups :laugh:

Heading back southwards, we had a headwind to cope with. A lot of the track is quite exposed, so we bore the brunt of it.

DSC_2873.JPG

This chap was lurking in the undergrowth near the exit to the Kelmarsh Tunnel. I did wave, but he just stared stony-faced at me!!

Once we'd passed the old railway station at Chapel Brampton and got back to the Windhover Pub, we went our different ways. Him to go shopping with his Mrs., me to pop round to see a mate, in Duston, to drink more tea and chat for a while about stuff.
I left there at about 15:00 ish and had the luxury of a tailwind for most of the way home round the south side of the town and along the Nene and Washlands bike paths.

Back home on 48 miles just as it was getting dark. By the time I'd washed the bike down and lubed it up, it was quite dark.

https://www.strava.com/activities/442534891

:smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
https://www.strava.com/activities/442792017

Home to hozzy again. I like this route. I might try going right up the A1214 one night and then coming through Bealings and Rushmere St Andrew on Thursday, it'll add another mile. Weather permitting of course.
I really like my new light.
Average of 14mph so pleased with that. 1:08:18 for 16.03 miles tonight.

Took the car over to Walton for a new clutch (will be a hole in the pocket)
From there took the long way back, making it up as I went along

Went down first via Esher to Oxshott then to Stoke d'Abernon, passing the Yehudi Menuhin School
Then through Fetcham and Great Bookham, temporarily getting a bit confused as to direction, then through Effingham, this may have been a mistake as I reached the A3. So took the poorish cycle patch of towards Ripley and Pyrford (nice area), and back though Addlestone and Chertsey

It was more than I meant to do and wind was more manageable today

34.9 miles @ 16.2 mph 1385 feet climbed

Included a few poorly done intervals as well!!

https://www.strava.com/activities/443015628

Old jon

Guru
I failed my bike geography yesterday. Or maybe bike topography. I shall explain.

Since I have got back on a bike again it has been difficult to see what is going on behind me. Stiff neck, I guess. I have seen quite a few folk using a mirror, pics on here and on bikes on the road. On Monday's ride I had a couple of glances behind that were not reassuring enough, so its 'lets buy a mirror' time.

IMG_1110.jpg

Note to self, engage brain before parting with brass. The first one I saw fitted in the bar end, and I have used them on motorbikes with no problems. The steering on this is so much lighter, I did wonder about possible bad effects from hanging yet another gadget on the bars. I will find out tomorrow.

The more or less standard 29.5 mile round trip today, 'cos I guessed I would be struggling with the mirror. Jack Lane, Marshall Street, Water Lane ( beck about full ) Great Wilson Street and straight on to Cinder Bridge, Oulton roundabout via John O' Gaunts, then Swillington, Garforth, Lotherton Hall, where the picture was taken, Aberford, Barwick, Scholes, Thorner, Skeltons and Red Hall Lanes and a consolation whizzzzzz down Boot Hill. Rather breezy otherwise kind weather.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Yesterday a bit of a ride, first along some of the Trans Pennine Trail, which was quite muddy, some stretches were flooded over all the trail. Then skirted round Lymm and Knutsford. Several stretches of road were flooded, meaning I gingerly rode through them hoping there wasn't a big pot hole there.
Saw this very nice BMW 30CSi parked up, looked a typical 70's sports car.
20151201_123545.jpg

20151201_123559.jpg

The clouds threatened on the way back but it didn't actually rain, this photo doesn't do justice to the sight of the sun bursting through at one point
20151201_131815.jpg

I then spent an hour and a half when home cleaning my bike. Cleaner bikes are faster, fact.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Checking my records, I realised the other day that my last 6 (and 8 of my last 9) rides had all been Sunday morning club rides. I guess I've been avoiding going out in this wintry weather and the dark days, so I thought it was about time to make myself do an afternoon, midweek ride ... whatever the weather. Ended up thoroughly enjoying it. Rode about 9 miles South, into the wind, then zig-zagged my way back, picking up occasional tailwinds in amongst the gusty sidewinds. 28.9 miles in just a tad over 2 hours today, needing to put my lights on a few minutes before getting home. Was glad to have my re-chargeable front light fully charged, because my rubbish battery light was dead ... after only a couple of hours' use over the last 3 or 4 weeks. Looks like the cold weather just doesn't suit it. Learning point: This time of year, always check your lights before you set off.
Take care everyone. Cheers,
Donger.

Top Bottom