Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
Well that was a bit interesting!

The weather was much better than forecast, with lovely sunshine and a light breeze from the West, so nipped out for a shortish ride this morning.

Heavy overnight rain meant that I knew the lanes would be full of water and so I remembered to don the waterproof overshoes for a change.

Took the cycle lanes up to Harlescott and then out to Uffington, passing the pub that I enjoyed a couple of pints at with @Rickshaw Phil last night, before the climb up to Upton Magna and East Haughmond, where the LBS group from Stan Jones' cruised past me on the climb, with friendly hello's though :okay:

I then had the nice downhill mile to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, before taking the very flooded minor road back up to the bottom end of Upton Magna. Managed to free wheel through the floods and avoid wet feet this time :smile:

Just after leaving Upton Magna I was caught and passed by a chap who, on the bridge over the A5, was looking at the view instead of the road and weaved into the middle of the road just as an Audi tried to pass him. Very close to being collected on the bonnet of the Audi :wacko:

From Berwick Wharf I took the rat run to Atcham and then crossed the bridge over the flooded River Severn, before climbing up and over the lumpy section to the A458 and then began the climb up the other side.

About half way up the climb I shifted down into 1st gear and there was a clang and then the realisation I was now back in 9th gear in mid range?:eek: Tried shifting the gears and it all felt wrong and nothing was shifting, so I stopped and looked down to find the gear cable had snapped at the junction with the shifter :eek::cursing::cursing:

I was about 3 miles from home and walked up the remainder of the hill, before trying to call @Rickshaw Phil 's brother to come and rescue me with his bike rack. Phil was out on a ride himself. Tried a few times and there was no answer and so I had 2 choices, walk the 3 miles or limp along in the single gear I was stuck in. Took the latter decision and it was ok other than a couple of climbs that almost necessitated walking and having to start off in the queue of traffic at the roadworks in 9th mid range!

To finish things it rained for the last few hundred metres of the ride and whilst I was putting the bike in the shed :stop:

21.1 miles at over 12 mph avg until the last 3 miles of limping along!

The offending cable
image.jpeg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Anywhere in particular?

Anywhere round your neck of the woods particularly if you're riding round Chertsey, Egham, Staines, VW.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just a touch over 20 miles today with Mrs Dave on the tandem. I've had a chest infection and virus for a couple of weeks so it was wonderful to be out again, even in to a stiff headwind for the first half of the ride.
We saw a flock of 50+ lapwing stood in a field and flocks of Fieldfares.

On the return leg we got a fair old turn of speed up in a few places.

I'm so glad I'm feeling human again!

https://www.strava.com/activities/481764049

Archeress

Veteran
Ive been neglecting this thread for reasons I'm not sure of, so I've been speed reading three months worth of posts. YRT thread is easily the best on the whole forum, lots of folks writing about their rides , no rows no bickering, just cycling.

If I may ask a favour of @cosmicbike and @Stonechat because they ride round my old manor, any chance of some photos if its not too much of a fag?
That explains the many likes that appeared in my alerts from yourself :wahhey:

Hugs
Archeress x

Archeress

Veteran

The weather was much better than forecast, with lovely sunshine and a light breeze from the West, so nipped out for a shortish ride this morning.

Heavy overnight rain meant that I knew the lanes would be full of water and so I remembered to don the waterproof overshoes for a change.

Took the cycle lanes up to Harlescott and then out to Uffington, passing the pub that I enjoyed a couple of pints at with @Rickshaw Phil last night, before the climb up to Upton Magna and East Haughmond, where the LBS group from Stan Jones' cruised past me on the climb, with friendly hello's though :okay:

I then had the nice downhill mile to Somerwood and Rodington Heath, before taking the very flooded minor road back up to the bottom end of Upton Magna. Managed to free wheel through the floods and avoid wet feet this time :smile:

Just after leaving Upton Magna I was caught and passed by a chap who, on the bridge over the A5, was looking at the view instead of the road and weaved into the middle of the road just as an Audi tried to pass him. Very close to being collected on the bonnet of the Audi :wacko:

From Berwick Wharf I took the rat run to Atcham and then crossed the bridge over the flooded River Severn, before climbing up and over the lumpy section to the A458 and then began the climb up the other side.

About half way up the climb I shifted down into 1st gear and there was a clang and then the realisation I was now back in 9th gear in mid range?:eek: Tried shifting the gears and it all felt wrong and nothing was shifting, so I stopped and looked down to find the gear cable had snapped at the junction with the shifter :eek::cursing::cursing:

I was about 3 miles from home and walked up the remainder of the hill, before trying to call @Rickshaw Phil 's brother to come and rescue me with his bike rack. Phil was out on a ride himself. Tried a few times and there was no answer and so I had 2 choices, walk the 3 miles or limp along in the single gear I was stuck in. Took the latter decision and it was ok other than a couple of climbs that almost necessitated walking and having to start off in the queue of traffic at the roadworks in 9th mid range!

To finish things it rained for the last few hundred metres of the ride and whilst I was putting the bike in the shed :stop:

The offending cable
View attachment 117381
Bad luck, have a hug
Archeress x

Archeress

Veteran
Woke up and found a nice shiney sunny day here in Brizzle so persuaded my fiance to get out for a shortish ride. From Bradley Stoke we headed out towards Winterbourne, using Church Rd, before then heading through Hambrook and a stop at the Pirate Bay Golf Cafe. Found that someone had opened a new cycle shop there, which will be useful as it is only a mile from loonie-versity. My fiance took a fancy to some nice leather handlebar grips for his hybrid and the shop owner fitted them right there. From Pirate Bay we headed past the loonie-versity and then back towards Bradley Stoke heading through all the Stokes Parks. 10.6 miles done with just over 500ft of climbing. My fiance felt he could have done more so I think it was a successful outing.

Don't think I'll be getting out tomorrow, got studies to attend to and the weather is supposed to be a bit wet, so 179miles for the month (yes I know it's not that much compared to quite a lot of people on here, but it is for me!).

Strava is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/481779606

Hugs
Archeress x

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Good turn out today. 5 including Mrs 26 and me. Mayfly was the call and we had lovely blue skies and sunshine to counteract the wind and the low temperatures. Rich is still quite slow on the ups but no worries. We chopped off the Suckley loop to compensate but added in the Lulsley one instead. Last night's downpour was particularly noticeable on the drop to Lulsley where mud and water obscured what's left of the tarmac. No trouble tho' and the view of the ancient black and white farmhouse and the bank of snowdrops down there was worth it.

We took to the lumpy run over to Martley and then the dodge to avoid the main road. That wind kicked in a bit on the run down to the cafe so yours truly provided a wheel for Rich. Mrs 26 seemed quite happy shadowing Pete. The usual confusion and lack of apparent organisation greeted us at the Mayfly but we mostly ended up with the refreshments we wanted. Doesn't time fly when chatting in the cafe?

Our route back would involve a bit of headwind but it turned out to be not as bad as I feared. Rich was coping quite well as was Mrs 26. All good. Soon as you like we were parting at Madresfield and vowing for another get together soon. Can't beat it - a pleasant social ride out with pals.

Ive been neglecting this thread for reasons I'm not sure of, so I've been speed reading three months worth of posts. YRT thread is easily the best on the whole forum, lots of folks writing about their rides , no rows no bickering, just cycling.

If I may ask a favour of @cosmicbike and @Stonechat because they ride round my old manor, any chance of some photos if its not too much of a fag?
Yes I don't bother stopping much for photos but can easily take, where were you based and which were your regular rides?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

The offending cable
View attachment 117381
Shame about the breakage. That'll be why the shifting had gone out of adjustment. Well done getting it back stuck in that gear.:okay:

Goonerobes

Its okay to be white
With hopefully, Thursdays chain problems behind me I plotted a bit of a mix & match ride today, spending the first half local in the forest just in case before heading into the Test Valley for a while once I was satisfied that I wouldn't have a long walk home!

Heading out into the chilly north-westerly breeze, the day got off to a bad start when I spotted the New Forest Bastards Hunt meeting up at a Lyndhurst hostelry for their weekly savagery (guess who's going to be getting a crap review on Trip Adviser later :evil:). With the pleasantries out of the way I carried on up the Bolderwood climb to the open moors, where my intended tailwind turned out to be a horrid crosswind for the next 3 or miles until the tree lined roads at Nomansland.

Now confident with my chain, I headed through Landford & across the A36 onto the wet country lanes of the Test Valley, taking in Whiteparish before negotiating Dean Hill. The climb itself is fairly painless, albeit on a rickety potholed lane, but the descent is a 12% gradient leading down to a nasty sharp left turn so it was brakes on half way down to ensure rider safety before finally picking up a tailwind & some flat road down to West Dean & a quick lunch stop.

The return leg was a fairly straight forward affair, criss-crossing streams & the river as I made my way through Lockerley, Mottisfont & Shootash before heading back into the forest for home & a chilly but pleasant enough 54 mile round trip.

https://www.strava.com/activities/481798373

001.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Only two short rides today: out on Patsy #3 The Hybrid to my occasional part-time job and back, and into town and back (via The Fat Cat pub) on the same bike to pick up the pair of Lake Winter boots from my LBS I'd ordered a couple of weeks ago. Should be able to give them a try tomorrow and I'll let you know how they shape up (the weather forecast suggests they'll be tested. :smile:).

grumpyoldwoman

We got the train to Bristol,pottered round the Harbourside,out to the SS Great Britain,up,round back along the other sde of the harbour,then along the Bristol to Bath cycle path but got defeated by the knife edged very cold wind! New bike is fantastic,didn't realise how much difference this one would make compared to my Raleigh! Can't see myself using that one again!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's almost the end of the month and I hadn't done my ride for the metric century challenge yet so today looked like my best chance.

Following my aborted ride earlier in the month I still wanted to get to Ludlow so that was the target for today. Setting out was the same route as last time as far as Folly Bank but I took the direct route to Cardington this time.

From there I dropped down the hill to Wall under Heywood and headed along the lanes and over Wenlock Edge to Westhope. One of the things that prompted me to do the metric rather than imperial challenge this year is that there is too much pressure to just get the miles in with the imperial challenge. Doing a shorter ride I felt able to explore a bit so turned off at Westhope and headed via Lower Dinchope and Norton to Onibury. This was a good choice as a short way along this road I became aware of a large bird flying alongside me which turned out to be a Red Kite lazily riding the breeze:hyper:. I stopped to look and there was a second one circling a short distance away. My attempt to get a photo didn't really work as the phone decided to play up :dry: so by the time I did get a pic you couldn't tell what bird it was.

I have ridden this road before but in the opposite direction and against a strong wind so I hadn't really appreciated how nice this little valley is. I shall have to come this way again in the summer.

At Onibury the road I used is pretty flat and follows the railway line for a mile or so. Didn't see any trains today though.:sad:

I passed the Ludlow Food Centre then took to the bridleway through the Oakly Park estate and into Ludlow itself where I had a short break and prepared for the next leg. It was while leaving the town I got the text from Gav telling me about his mishap. A little job for me to do there.

Out of the town now I spotted another rider ahead which stirred the competitive spirit and I gave chase. It took a little while to reel him in but I did eventually. We ended up chatting for the next three or four miles until our routes split and I headed for my second climb of the day over Wenlock Edge, this time on the road past Wilderhope Manor and down into Longville (the reverse of the way I came on my December century),

I was flagging a bit on this climb and the cold wind was picking up quite a bit by now. Good when it was behind me but I knew I'd be riding against it later on.

I added a detour towards Harley to make sure of the mileage but turning at the edge of the village the wind was now in my face and didn't I know it. Some of the gusts felt like I'd jammed the brakes on and there were sections where I was having to pedal hard to make just 8mph downhill :wacko:.

I made it home but it's finished up as one of the hardest metric centuries I've done and I was quite glad I wasn't aiming for the imperial ton today.:heat:

67.35 miles at a relatively pedestrian 11.5 mph average. I might do a flatter route for the next one if it's still this windy.

DSC0003141.jpg

Before sunrise at Condover. Bert Butler the butcher is already open and has a few customers.

DSC0003144.jpg

Pitchford Hall. A pretty building but has been on the "at risk" register for historic buildings for the last few years.

DSC0003148.jpg

I've made it to Cardington without incident today.:wahhey:

DSC0003152.jpg

At Onibury. I had to do a double take - the old post office/village store is now a pub. Might be worth investigating.

DSC0003153.jpg

No trains at the moment. Our resident rail enthusiasts may be interested that the Shrewsbury - Ludlow main line still uses GWR style lower quadrant signals.

DSC0003154.jpg

Anyone have an Islabike for their children? This is where final assembly was done.

DSC0003160.jpg

Ludlow town square.

DSC0003165.jpg

Much later in the ride now - oh look, a ford. Not sure about riding this after what happened last time - I used the bridge.

DSC0003167.jpg

The last five miles were brutal against the wind and the weather has yet more tricks to play - I only got another mile before that shower hit. :rain:

Last edited:
Top Bottom