Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavgav

Guru
I have had a cold over the last few days nothing serious . But yesterday's commute was hard work into the headwind so up this morning not sure weather to ride or not . Couple of coffees and some paracetamol and I feel OK so let's ride . Just set off no planned route but thoughts off a 50 km . Headed towards the Wreake valley ,Anstey ,Cropston into Rothley .Had to stop at the lights at the crossriads which has a slight uphill start . Lights changed pedel and a metallic crunch suddenly no resistance think the chains come off looks down and there's no chain :ohmy: pushed the bike to the side off the road and there lying in the road is my chain with my awesome power :training: I had snapped it .So I'm 5 miles from home with a bike with no chain :cursing: .So out with the chain tool the first time it's been used in anger. Managed to remove the broken links but struggled put it back together but managed :smile:. So do I carry on or bail . Decided on the cautious approached and retraced my route back taking it steady raining in my power :training:. Caught a rider coming into Cropston and got chatting . He was 70 years old and still goes track racing at Derby velodrome :notworthy: He's enter the masters ( over 70s ) British Champs.Made a nice couple of miles of riding . Took steady up the last hill . Managed 10.6 miles in the bag . A trip to lbs calling this afternoon and some bike fetling call for
A like for attempting a ride after your cold, but not for your unwanted problems!

gavgav

Guru
My first ride of 2017 and my initial entry in the half century a month challenge. A mild but gloomy morning as I set off along the cycle paths to Shelton. Not done much riding over the past month, due to the Christmas period and going down with Manflu, so the legs felt very lethargic to start with, but soon loosened up.

Out onto the road to Montford Bridge and then along the wet lanes to Shrawardine and then, for the first time in an anti clockwise direction, I continued towards Felton Butler and Kinton. It's amazing how different scenery looks in the opposite direction and I spotted a pen full of large satellite dishes, that I've never seen before!

There were lovely views towards the Berwyn mountain range, as I pressed on to Knockin Heath, including one lane that was an absolute mud bath thanks to the farm vehicles, which mean the bike turned into a muddy mess!

Dropped down into Dovaston and Kinnerley, before turning down to Argoed and Cross Lanes. I was starting to feel my continuing knee niggle by now, which was annoying, but it didn't get too bad as I passed through Melverley and Pentre. There were loads of fallen trees along this route, a remnant of mini tornado's which caused a lot of damage back in the Autumn across parts of Shropshire and Wales.

I completed the loop around the army base at Nesscliffe and re-traced my steps through Shrawardine to Montford Bridge. As I pulled out onto the main road I said hello to a chap in a Paramount kit and he drew along side me and we chatted for a few minutes about where we'd been and both of us were unsure about the upcoming hill due to not having been out much recently! He was clearly a quicker rider than me and so he attacked the hill and I wound my way up it, but must have done ok as I set my fastest Strava time up it so far ^_^

I had a very close pass from a prat in a white van, who then pulled into the petrol station at Four Crosses. I resisted the temptation to give him what for and continued back home.

32.4 miles at 11.6mph avg.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
My first ride of 2017 and my initial entry in the half century a month challenge. A mild but gloomy morning as I set off along the cycle paths to Shelton. Not done much riding over the past month, due to the Christmas period and going down with Manflu, so the legs felt very lethargic to start with, but soon loosened up.

Out onto the road to Montford Bridge and then along the wet lanes to Shrawardine and then, for the first time in an anti clockwise direction, I continued towards Felton Butler and Kinton. It's amazing how different scenery looks in the opposite direction and I spotted a pen full of large satellite dishes, that I've never seen before!

There were lovely views towards the Berwyn mountain range, as I pressed on to Knockin Heath, including one lane that was an absolute mud bath thanks to the farm vehicles, which mean the bike turned into a muddy mess!

Dropped down into Dovaston and Kinnerley, before turning down to Argoed and Cross Lanes. I was starting to feel my continuing knee niggle by now, which was annoying, but it didn't get too bad as I passed through Melverley and Pentre. There were loads of fallen trees along this route, a remnant of mini tornado's which caused a lot of damage back in the Autumn across parts of Shropshire and Wales.

I completed the loop around the army base at Nesscliffe and re-traced my steps through Shrawardine to Montford Bridge. As I pulled out onto the main road I said hello to a chap in a Paramount kit and he drew along side me and we chatted for a few minutes about where we'd been and both of us were unsure about the upcoming hill due to not having been out much recently! He was clearly a quicker rider than me and so he attacked the hill and I wound my way up it, but must have done ok as I set my fastest Strava time up it so far ^_^

I had a very close pass from a prat in a white van, who then pulled into the petrol station at Four Crosses. I resisted the temptation to give him what for and continued back home.

32.4 miles at 11.6mph avg.

I too resist the temptation when I see they're bigger than me!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The weather has been a bit icy this week so combining the ice tyres and the cold that I still have, the commuting this week has been tough. Anyway the weather forecast for today was warm (for January!), very little wind and a bit of fog first thing, also our lass was going to Oxford to see her dad, so perfect time to get the 2017 Imperial century challenge started even though I am knackered.

Up at 05:45, cup of tea, couple of slices of toast and I'm ready to go for just before 06:30.

Weather forecast was bang on, was mild, virtually no wind and foggy. Only thing they got wrong was the fog didn't want to lift, in fact I rode nearly 60 miles before it finally lifted.

Had a couple of very thick patches whilst it was still dark and the fast descent out of Gaulby towards Illston I was on the brakes pretty much all the way down.

Circa 25 miles first pitstop for a call of nature and I noticed that the battery on the gps was running down quite quickly and the front light dropped to less than 70% (colour coded light on the back) - experience tells me that I'd have roughly 3 hours of life left which if the fog didn't lift could be a problem. GPS wasn't an issue as I carry a Goal Zero power pack and once it got light I turned the front light off until I hit traffic and/or a pretty dense patch of fog.

60 ish miles second call of nature pit stop and plug the GPS into the battery pack, fog finally lifted and I am confident that battery wise I am now fine.

Roads were very very wet and having no mudguards the bike got filthy and I got wet and filthy so I was undecided as to whether I should do a cafe stop.

91 miles I'm coming up to Nice Pies, the cafe stop, I'd decided to go straight on do another 5 miles or so and spin round and come back to the cafe, this way I would get a double metric. However as I change gear the gear cable snaps (must be something in the Leicestershire air today @13 rider ), bugger the extra distance I'm having a cup of tea.

Walk into the cafe, order a brew and slice of cake. I decided I shouldn't sit as I don't want to get the chairs wet and dirty. Owner notices and offers me a bin liner for the chair :laugh: but I'm happy to stand, I said to him I didn't think he would let me in, but he was fine.

Set off to head home, 21 miles stuck in the little ring at the back was hard work. Luckily the route from the cafe to home is virtually all down hill or flat. struggled up the incline (can't really call it a hill) on Big Lane towards Seagrave but apart from that I was fine.

Got home, gave the bike a quick clean and biked to the LBS, had a brew there whilst they fixed it :becool:and had a chat to the owners sister (Debs) who I hadn't seen for ages.

Also had a chat to a young lad who was in there with his dad, kid must have been 7 or 8. He had heard me talking to Debs about the miles I do and he was grilling me on furthest distances and the like, he was well chuffed when I pointed out to him how many miles he does going to and from school, we worked out that he had cumulated nearly 2,000 miles on his scooter just going to school and back.

By the time I had finally got home I had done 114 miles, bike is cleaned, loads of dirty cycling gear in the washing basket for our lass when she gets home :whistle:

Saw very few cyclists out which surprised me as once the fog had gone it was pretty perfect conditions for cycling - apart from the filthy roads

https://www.strava.com/activities/824186326

13 rider

Guru
The weather has been a bit icy this week so combining the ice tyres and the cold that I still have, the commuting this week has been tough. Anyway the weather forecast for today was warm (for January!), very little wind and a bit of fog first thing, also our lass was going to Oxford to see her dad, so perfect time to get the 2017 Imperial century challenge started even though I am knackered.

Up at 05:45, cup of tea, couple of slices of toast and I'm ready to go for just before 06:30.

Weather forecast was bang on, was mild, virtually no wind and foggy. Only thing they got wrong was the fog didn't want to lift, in fact I rode nearly 60 miles before it finally lifted.

Had a couple of very thick patches whilst it was still dark and the fast descent out of Gaulby towards Illston I was on the brakes pretty much all the way down.

Circa 25 miles first pitstop for a call of nature and I noticed that the battery on the gps was running down quite quickly and the front light dropped to less than 70% (colour coded light on the back) - experience tells me that I'd have roughly 3 hours of life left which if the fog didn't lift could be a problem. GPS wasn't an issue as I carry a Goal Zero power pack and once it got light I turned the front light off until I hit traffic and/or a pretty dense patch of fog.

60 ish miles second call of nature pit stop and plug the GPS into the battery pack, fog finally lifted and I am confident that battery wise I am now fine.

Roads were very very wet and having no mudguards the bike got filthy and I got wet and filthy so I was undecided as to whether I should do a cafe stop.

91 miles I'm coming up to Nice Pies, the cafe stop, I'd decided to go straight on do another 5 miles or so and spin round and come back to the cafe, this way I would get a double metric. However as I change gear the gear cable snaps (must be something in the Leicestershire air today @13 rider ), bugger the extra distance I'm having a cup of tea.

Walk into the cafe, order a brew and slice of cake. I decided I shouldn't sit as I don't want to get the chairs wet and dirty. Owner notices and offers me a bin liner for the chair :laugh: but I'm happy to stand, I said to him I didn't think he would let me in, but he was fine.

Set off to head home, 21 miles stuck in the little ring at the back was hard work. Luckily the route from the cafe to home is virtually all down hill or flat. struggled up the incline (can't really call it a hill) on Big Lane towards Seagrave but apart from that I was fine.

Got home, gave the bike a quick clean and biked to the LBS, had a brew there whilst they fixed it :becool:and had a chat to the owners sister (Debs) who I hadn't seen for ages.

Also had a chat to a young lad who was in there with his dad, kid must have been 7 or 8. He had heard me talking to Debs about the miles I do and he was grilling me on furthest distances and the like, he was well chuffed when I pointed out to him how many miles he does going to and from school, we worked out that he had cumulated nearly 2,000 miles on his scooter just going to school and back.

By the time I had finally got home I had done 114 miles, bike is cleaned, loads of dirty cycling gear in the washing basket for our lass when she gets home :whistle:

Saw very few cyclists out which surprised me as once the fog had gone it was pretty perfect conditions for cycling - apart from the filthy roads

https://www.strava.com/activities/824186326
Not and place for a mechanical just outside a nice cafe mine was outside a pub :whistle:. Must be bike breaking weather. My Hybrid may get a ride tomorrow . I got a halfords voucher for Xmas so went to the store but they had to order it in but saved a bit as they priced matched their website :okay:

Osprey

Guru
A misty day but no frost or wind so I'll take that. Keen to get my Metric century challenge ride in for January, I chose a coastal route to avoid hills, a bit lightweight I know but a step up in miles over the half century is enough for now. A nice run down the north Gower, through the Clyne valley to emerge on Swansea bay then followed the coast through Baglan, Aberafan bay, Margam Kenfig and Porthcawl before retracing my steps. 71 miles on a ride that had potential for good views but not today. Still, enjoyed and looking forward to the next ride.

upload_2017-1-7_17-5-56.png

Mrs M

Guru
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG
Not my ride today :ohmy: but a wee write up and some pics on my recent rides in Tenerife.
Hired a nice BMC mountain bike for 6 days from Bike Point in El Medano, (used them before and nice folk with good bikes) :smile: Original plan was a motorised fattie :hyper: but it cost more than the car hire for a fortnight and was a bit heavy to lug up 2 floors (didn't want to leave it in the underground garage in case it got nicked) :sad: so went for the MTB
Anyway the MTB was fun and I toddled all over the place on it.
Went cross country to another town and stopped for lunch (table for one). Visited the Marina and saw the boats being repaired and the "Yellow submarine" going out to play. There was a wee Segway peloton on the go and I joined on the back :ph34r:
Watched the golfers trying to hit the ball onto the green, over the cliffs at Amarilla. The buggy paths on the golf courses were good to ride on, gave way to golfers :okay:
Enjoyed some great trails with fabulous scenery, then down to the pebble beach and admired the views there :sun:
Travelled along the coast and stopped at a wee beach "shack", had a very nice toastie and a naughty cold beer :cheers:
A few hairy moments but managed to stay upright!
Toddled homeward and met a wee lizard with " sucker feet" put my finger beside him to show how tiny he was.
Enjoyed cycling in Tenerife but prefer Lanzarote as flatter terrain and their fat bikes are cheaper :whistle:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out this morning for my first ride since last weekend and while getting ready I thought "I'll just check the bike over" - glad I did as the front tyre was decidedly soft.
So out with the track pump and it was down to 45psi - a bit of pumping soon had it back to 110psi and after a good check I could see no signs of anything amiss, so quickly added a bit of air to the rear tyre (down to 90psi) and carried on with getting ready and have some brekkie.

Finally ready to go and with the tyre(s) appearing to hold pressure I decided to go out anyway.

A familiar route today, which the bike could probably do on it's own, but I like it and it's about as easy as a metric half gets from home - and that was the aim of the day.
Local roads first, where I was treated to a pair of excellent drivers who both patiently hung back until it was safe to pass then gave me loads of room, all within the first mile or so. Don't worry, it didn't last...:rolleyes:
Up the hill to Scholes, huffing and puffing again, then the climb and steady descent into Barwick and right at the New Inn on to Long Lane and the descent, climb, then lovely descent and climb back into Garforth.
Quick pause here for a drink and to check the tyres (both fine) and then on up the A642, climbing out of Garforth and up and over J46 of the M1 and on towards Aberford. Passed a guy on a tourer with panniers front and rear, quick hello but this ain't a road to be riding two abreast on. Down the hill and straight on under the A1(M) and past Hook Moor Wind Farm and Lotherton Hall, disturbing a huge Red Kite in the road eating a bit of road kill.
Then down the long hill to the Crooked Billet and shortly after the sharp hill up into Saxton and the gentle roll down onto Main Street.
On from there to Barkston Ash, through the village and onto the long straight mile to Church Fenton, where despite everyone else managing to pass me sensibly, WVM got within a foot of my elbow...:cursing:
As is often the way, he then pulled up outside a house in the distance and reversed on to the drive. I resisted the temptation to have a word as I passed :dry:
Up and over the bridge at Church Fenton and then on through the village and eventually onto Brackenhill Lane along the southern perimeter of the airfield.
Although it had been grey with the odd mist patch all morning, there was a proper bit of fog along here, maybe unsurprising given how flat it is.
I do like this road and eventually I reached the East Coast Mainline, running parralell for a few hundred yards before climbing up and over the bridge and descending into Ryther.
Left here and I was soon back over the railway line and heading for Ozendyke and then Ulleskelf, again with the odd bit of mistiness.
Left again and down past the airfield entrance, completing the loop and then back the way I'd come to Barkston Ash then Saxton.
In the village it was another left and past the cricket club, before stopping at Linda's Bench for some well deserved Haribo Tangfastic and a photo or two:
IMG_20170107_104942245_004.jpg
IMG_20170107_105338388_004.jpg

Back in the saddle and still feeling surprisingly chipper, it was the lumpy route down to Copley lane and on to Lotherton Hall again.
Turned right towards Aberford, enjoying the downhill under the A1(M) and into the village, then Main Street and the familiar route onto Cattle Lane for the rollercoaster to Cock Beck and the inevitable climb from there up to Barwick - setting my 2nd fastest time ever over this route - and I've no idea how that happened as it didn't feel particularly fast and I was on the wrong bike for such speediness... :laugh:
Anyhow, the climb to Scholes, then the descent down Leeds Road and local roads to home.

33.6 miles (54.07km) in 2h 23m at a much more respectable 14.1mph with 1,322ft climbed and a balmy average temperature of 4.9°C

All good - much, much better than last weekends efforts so the indoor cycling during the week must be helping and I've got my metric half in for the month, which means that the challenge is now on. :okay:
Plus there were lots more cyclists out today which is always good to see and the front tyre is still fully inflated - although I'll keep an eye on it...

And finally, a map:
07012017.JPG

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My second attempt at the opening challenge ride of the year. The first was a complete non starter after a bout of insomnia meant I finally fell asleep 45 minutes before my alarm was due to go off. Today though was no problem and I was up and on the road at about ten to seven.

Conditions were great for the time of year: mild, clear, hardly any wind and the only way it could have been better is if the roads had been dry. My route was a variation of my regular loop round North Shropshire: Out to Condover initially then looping round to the west and north through Pontesbury, Minsterley, Westbury and Melverley and onwards to Oswestry, Gobowen and Ellesmere. South through Wem, Shawbury, Roden and Cressage before ending up at Cardington and turning north again through Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Condover again and finally towards home.

Heading out, the main roads were quiet but there were a few vehicles down the lanes which was unexpected. Being out at this time it was of course dark to start with until after I'd passed Minsterley. At Melverley I disturbed two buzzards that were feasting on some roadkill - one flew off into a tree while the other flew alongside me for a short distance until it was sure I was going away.

Before Maesbrook I decided to try out an alternative route I'd looked at on the map which avoids much of the main road through Maesbury. This goes down some nice quiet lanes but was quite muddy and the hedges have recently been trimmed so there were cuttings everywhere. The Marathons coped with it though.

I had a food stop by the hill fort at Oswestry as usual, then continued. On the approach to Gobowen I joined the road just behind a rider on a much sportier bike than mine and was pleased to find myself keeping up (must be a tailwind ;)). In the town I took a shorter route than he did so ended up ahead.

The lanes to Ellesmere were as muddy as ever and I knew that the way to Lyneal would likely have a couple of floods as well so I took the B road from Welshampton on my way to Wem. I caught another rider on this stretch and would have overtaken but my next turning came up too soon.

Elevenses stop by the roadside near Waterloo where a passing rider stopped to check if I was okay.:okay: Thanks to the extra miles racked up by my earlier detour the Metric Century was passed in Shawbury rather than Roden. I took another alternative route through Walcot and Eaton Constantine which avoided having to go past my workplace.

Having miles in hand I was able to shorten the route at Cressage which gave a nice change of scene and cut down on the climbing a little bit. The rest of the route was my normal way skirting close to Harley, Hughley and Longville before reaching Cardington. I was tired by now so wasn't quick but was finding the hills seemed easier than they usually would be at this point. I enjoyed the fast descent of Folly Bank and the easier riding the other side on the way home (apart from crossing Lyth Hill that is)

102.7 miles for the day at a quite reasonable 13 mph average. The bike will want a good wash tomorrow. Edit to add: Total time including stops was almost exactly 9 hours. Quite pleased with that.

DSC0004216.jpg

A couple of miles in. It ain't half dark out here.

DSC0004218.jpg

Before dawn on a Saturday but the creamery at Minsterley is still hard at work to produce desserts for you.

DSC0004220.jpg

Misty near Maesbrook.

DSC0004223.jpg

Oswestry.

DSC0004224.jpg

Misty at Ellesmere too.

DSC0004229.jpg

Elevenses stop. The photo doesn't convey how horrendously mucky the knockabout bike has got.

DSC0004232.jpg

Near Uppington you come round a corner to find this vista of The Wrekin.

DSC0004234.jpg

Lunch stop at Cressage. The river looks strange with a layer of mist sitting on it.

DSC0004239.jpg

Cardington. The phone box which I had to use to call for rescue a couple of years ago is due to be decomissioned soon.:sad: (And I still don't get a mobile signal in the village:headshake:)

DSC0004241.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill on the last leg home. On the left of pic it looks like someone has just started their Zafira.:whistle:

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The Saturday crew assembled. Mark L and me in the Green and Pete M, Margaret P-R and John G in Upton. I was hoping that Steve E would decide on our route but in the event he couldn't make it. So they all looked at me. I grabbed at the nearest straw (aka the first idea that came into my head). Newent? It was agreed. Oh dear I'd have to engage brain nav now.

At least the first section is well known to us all out through the Castlemorton lanes and on to Pendock. My brain indicated a left turn to take us to Gadfield Elm and Hethelpit Cross. Good stuff I'd figured it out so on around by Okle Clifford and we were there. We arrived and were served quite quickly but then folks began to turn up for lunch. We'd just got in ahead of the rush!

Our route back had some discussion in order to get the Upton crowd back but also allow John a different route back to Worcester. So it was a fairly standard run back by Oxenhall and Norman's Land to Dymock. Then the lanes to Bromsberrow where the route decision was taken to go by the Castlemorton Lanes again. We said our byes at Welland Stone to the Upton bound two and then continued by Hanley Swan to the Guarlford road where I looped around the triangles with John peeling off on the first. Mark had misunderstood I think and headed straight up the Guarlford road.

TBH I don't remember seeing much of the countryside on this one. There was just so much chat going on that I think we were all focussed into the group rather than looking outward. No worries it was a super outing in super company. 53 smiles today.

Mrs M

Guru
Flat!!! I must have been in the wrong location

You can just about make out Femes in the picture, left hand valley which is 5.5 miles away and climbs to over 400 meters
View attachment 156527

View attachment 156528

View from the top
View attachment 156529

View attachment 156530

Another route was up to Timanfaya National Park, a tough climb up but the 50 mph crosswind on the road back down made for a scary descend at speeds topping 47mph... Not fun
View attachment 156531
Mostly flat :whistle:
:laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Maybe I can start contributing to this thread again since I was told how to post pics without having to endure PhotoBucket!

Met my cycling buddy at 10am for the ferry at Gourock taking us over to Dunoon. Weather was a bit "dreich" and not as pleasant as promised by the BBC, so no surprises there :rolleyes:.

2210155.jpg

We are both retired members of Strathclyde's finest law enforcers, and on the ferry across to Dunoon, we bumped into another guy who we both worked with about 25 years ago, who was heading over to visit his son and family. Small world.

We set off to do a loop which neither of us has done before, despite it being quite close to home. It follows the shoreline around he Holy Loch, then Loch Long, before cutting across a fairly steep climb over the hill to Loch Eck, and the road back to Dunoon. Strava link.
After the fast descent, I noticed I had my first puncture for a while. The first use was made of the compressed air inflator which I bought last summer. I am very impressed with it. New tube fitted and tyre inflated, back on the road within about 5 minutes.

Puncture.jpg

Going down the loch side the hills were reflecting off the calm water, so we waited for a break in the trees to get a photo opportunity. This coincided with a house on the opposite side of the road, and while we were taking photos there was a knock on the window of the house. It was only the same ex colleague we had met on the ferry!

Loch Eck ride.jpg

From there it was another 7 or 8 miles back to the ferry, and the Scotch mist had come down, so it was a bit damp! Quite a good ride out for early January in Scotland, though :smile:.

https://www.relive.cc/view/824192045

115 Km's today, up to Chichester and back. It was so foggy up at the top of Portsdown hill early on, I had to slow to a crawl, because I could barely see my hand in front of my face. Mind you that didn't stop the idiot in the gun metal grey Saab, with no lights on at all, pulling straight out in front of me, despite the fact I was lit up like a Christmas tree, and the idiot in the old red Renault Espace who got so close his wing mirror hit my elbow, who then ( unfortunately for him ) stopped at the red light in front, got all mouthy with me, opened his door into me ( on purpose ) but failed to notice the marked police car stopped behind him. It didn't end well for him. He really shouldn't be such a douche bag with three bald tyres, and one rear light cluster out. Other than that, it was fun.

Mike_P

Guru
Knee op successful and Christmas/New Year cold vanquished so for the first time since Oct 2015 the bike exited the rear yard for a 'gentle' 16 mile ride
jan720217.jpg

observing where the pot holes/lumps and ruts were, and I was surprised to find I was not the slowest, nor next to slowest, on Strava since New Year up the climb either side of 12 mile point.
The other change I came across was that the local country park seemed to have employed a security guard to stop cyclists using it - "Patch" was however quickly persuaded to let me pass.
dog.jpg

I had on a pair of Polaris gloves bought in their sale - fine until I took one off and discovered the lining moved all over the place such that I could not get it back on properly - ended up with both gloves only part on. The other annoyance was my Garmin giving very slow speed readings and switching off. It eventually dawned on me I had fitted this morning the speed sensor to the pedal and the candance sensor to the axle:blush: having taken them off while the bike was not being used.

Last edited:
Top Bottom