Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Inset day here at Chez HC. Feeling rough from an insomnia dogged night. My Vobster Lobster Claw helped a bit:

IMG_0882.PNG

A lovely 16 mile ride for me at tea time - a new loop for me using some roads I haven't used before because I needed to plan a ride that took me past the vet to arrange prescription for the girls' flea treatment.

So it was up through Downham Common and California to join the B1411 heading towards Ely and up the climb to Orwell Pit Farm. Then it's the drop down to the leisure village, cross over the A10 and up the hill the other side, along Egremont Street and into Newnham Street. There I ducked into the vet surgery, and sorted that out.

Did a 180 degree turn, back down Newnham Street and then a right turn onto the Lynn Road. A bit tricky along there negotiating the commuter o'clock traffic, but once past the Beet Club and out of Ely proper and heading towards Chettisham, the traffic vanishes, the road opens out and it's a real pleasure to ride the bends and undulations. The road out of Chettisham had me whizzing down the hill, hands on the drops, spinning my biggest gear and wearing a manic grin on my face. :biggrin:

But what goes down must haul one's arse back up the other side, and the climb into Littleport is a tough one. But the legs were playing ball today and managed to ride up it well within myself this time. Now I was on unfamiliar roads as I spun through Littleport along Station Road, past the station proper and onto Hale Fen. At the end, I took a left turn and joined the A10 at Sandhill for the home stretch. From there it's all the way down Black Bank and back along the Common.

Wound up a couple of sprints in the last mile as I still had a bit left in the tank. Move over Cav... NOT! :laugh:

Saw six cyclists out and about including three commuters, two friendly chaps on roadies and one chap on a loaded up tourer. And best of all, the sun came out to play! :sun:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Up on the Lleyn Peninsula for a wee while. Today's weather was misty and cloudy with a noticeable wind blowing. In order to just get a feel for the layout here Mrs 26 and I took to some Sustrans routes. So up to Mynytho and NE to Rhyd-Y-Clafty to cross the peninsula to Tudweiliog. Not long after the signs confused us so we missed out on the SW run just above the coast. Our error took us to Sarn Mellteyrn where Mrs 26 noticed the pub for future reference. We then rode SW to Aberdaron where a lovely lady with a super Welsh accent took our refreshment orders and served beautifully not long after. We then retraced briefly but found the lane for Rhiw which took us to a 20% descent and misty views of Hell's Mouth. We then jinked by Llangian and back to complete a pleasant outing in poor conditions. I would have enjoyed this ride more if I had some energy available. I struggled. Mrs 26 was fine. 32 smiles

Dark46

Veteran
I have been out today for the first ride on the Orro for a while so I only did 7.99miles and hopefully will be back out on her tomorrow. Just easing myself back into it and not doing too much too soon. Still getting used to the new brake blocks and new wheels and tyres.
DSC_0287.JPG

Just went out into the countryside with @Frazzle and really enjoyed being out briefly and looking forward to the next ride.

Bit late with this but a couple of rides on Saturday.

Basically in and out commutes but took the XLS and had a few of off-road deviations from the usual commute,bit busy on the Cam path on the way back.

To spills on the way back;first caused by a low flying Pigeon(missed me but enough of a distraction to cause an off) and then a lack of off road talent ending in a patch of nettles(roadies huh:whistle::laugh:)

No injuries(apart from nettle rash and a slight calf strain) and no bike damage.

Swans on the Cam;

IMG_0970.JPG

Coffee (and some fresh bread) at Stir in Cambridge;

IMG_0972.JPG

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Why does it feel like every ride is my first ride in ages? Oh yes, because every ride IS my first ride in ages. In this case the first ride since the Market Bosworth ride. Quite a warm evening which is what prompted me to head out. 21 miles at 16mph.

Luckily I didn't go on how long I was out. Some people and a dog moving what looked like around 200 sheep between fields via my route held me up for a while. 200 frightened sheep as it turned out! I had to sprint the last few miles to try and spin sheep cr@p off my tyres.

What the hell is wrong with people? At least 5 instances of fly tipping. Hunt them down I say. Perhaps it will give fox hunters and hounds something to do!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Highlight of today's ride was finding out that the 1/4 mile of stationary traffic was due to 14'5" of lorry being guided under THIS bridge.

I had planed to head out to Stowmarket and the lanes around the Creetings, but fine drizzle and a few things to do around the house meant that I didn't get out until early afternoon and so restricted the ride to a trip out to Coddenham and back with various diversions taking to total didtance over 50 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1168179072

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
After our excursion along the far North coast and the Kyle of Tongue, we've now arrived on familiar ground on the shores on Loch Duich in the Lochalsh District of NW Scotland. Maddening midge bites from my earlier ride now receding and horrible driving rain suddenly stopping, I was free to go out for a late afternoon ride around the loch. This involved the busy A87 main road through Inverinate and over a causeway across the end of Loch Duich, and then one of my favourite roads anywhere ... along the western shore of the loch from Shiel Bridge, through Ratagan and on past Letterfearn to a little viewpoint in the trees with glorious views across to Eilean Donan Castle. I've done this ride half a dozen times now, and although the A87 seems to be getting busier (and faster), the shoreline road is always quiet and never fails to lift my spirits. 20.8 stunning miles, there and back. I'll let the pictures do the talking:
DSCF4735.JPG
DSCF4738.JPG
DSCF4739.JPG
DSCF4742.JPG

In this shot, the cottage we stay at is the middle one on the opposite shoreline. (I sat in the bay window watching a pod of porpoises herding fish around the loch earlier today):
DSCF4743.JPG
DSCF4744.JPG
DSCF4747.JPG
DSCF4751.JPG
DSCF4752.JPG
DSCF4753.JPG

Tomorrow the Missus has given me a pass to go off for a longer ride. I was going to do a loop around onto Skye via the ferry and back via the bridge, but if it is at all wet, I think that would be a bit daft. I have the stopping distance of an oil tanker at the best of times, and with wet rims on those big hills I could end up flying further than Eddie the Eagle ever managed to. Don't much fancy doing this part of the A87 again, either, so I'm off out in the car to ride some of my favourite parts of the middle of the Isle of Skye instead ... whatever the weather. Can't wait. Cheers, Donger.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Oh wow @Donger - the green eyed monster is peeking out from its dark corner here, that looks like just the most amazing ride... :wub: Lucky, lucky you :thumbsup:
Thanks @Reynard. Hope I don't actually make anyone jealous, though ... In the spirit of this thread, I'm sharing a bit of acquired local knowledge so others can follow in my tyre tracks. Over the years I've done several rides that only ever occurred to me after reading this thread, and I find it a constant source of inspiration. This one is one of my more regular rides, and along a hidden little shoreline single-track road that you might never know was there unless someone shared it here. Definitely worth stopping the car and offloading the bikes for an hour if you are ever on your way to Skye or the far North West coast of Scotland. It is along the West shore of Loch Duich, and goes right along the shoreline for approx 3 or 4 miles up to a dead end. (At Shiel Bridge, follow the direction signs for the Skye ferry and then turn right for Rattagan and Letterfearn instead of continuing up the Mam Rattagan Pass). Best ridden in the late afternoon sunshine that shows off the opposite shore beautifully. The surface isn't brilliant, but then nobody would want to race along this one, with all the fantastic views. I had to edit out several more really nice pictures.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got my September challenge ride in yesterday.

When planning it a South Shropshire ride looked like being best for the forecast wind direction but closer to the day I just didn't fancy the route and the forecast changed so that I'd be riding against the wind for all but the last 20 miles. Having a rethink I had an idea to link up sections of a couple of routes I've already done this year and try to make it into something a bit special.

I was out on the road just after 7 and immediately had my first stop to pick up a few essential items (crisps and jelly babies :whistle:) from the shop, then I headed over Lyth Hill and south through Acton Burnell and over the climb to Cardington (getting the big climb of the day out of the way early on) then turning north again through Hughley and via a "scenic" route to Cressage.

There is a reason for the scenic route. I had a specific mileage in mind today and I knew it was going to be quite near to the mark so I was taking the slightly longer way wherever I had the alternative.

From Cressage I carried on to Wroxeter (saw a roadkill buzzard on the way :sad:), Upton Forge, Upton Magna, Withington, Rodington Heath and High Ercall. Round here I had a couple of minor navigational issues; firstly getting to a junction I've been through a few times before and not being able to remember if it was straight on or turn right. Then confidently taking a left in Heath Lanes and only realising after half a mile that "I don't remember that village hall being there". Fortunately that one was easily rectified as the turning by the hall took me back in the direction I wanted.:okay:

Eaton upon Tern, Ollerton, and Stoke on Tern followed, then I took an alternative way through Rosehill to Old Colehurst Manor, which I thought was longer but looking at the map again now, might not have been.

An elevenses stop was taken in a field of elephant grass then it was on again into Market Drayton where I found some really courteous drivers while negotiating the place and finding the right road to get out of town. My route here was "scenic" again as it went through Longford, Longslow then on to Calverhall using the route the Tour of Britain took when they visited a few years back.

Ightfield brought a change of direction as I turned southwest and into the wind to Prees. No holdup at the level crossing this time and I was able to press on along the lanes through Wixall to Northwood (had my lunch stop in a gateway near here), Welshampton, Coptiveney and Ellesmere.

Usually I'd go out of my way to have a stop by The Mere but today I just wanted to get on so as to be back at a reasonable time. I mostly followed the sustrans route to Gobowen apart from a small detour of my own which I'd forgotten is quite uphill going in this direction.

Gobowen to Oswestry is a bit lumpy so another pause to eat and drink was welcome. At this point I knew I was short of the mileage I wanted and realise now that the last time I went through Market Drayton I couldn't find the junction I wanted and ended up riding round the one-way system. Of course I didn't do that today, which skewed the mileage I was calculating by.

I therefore needed to add distance wherever I could on the way home. I turned off the main road at Maesbury and went via Morton, coming back out onto my route close to Maesbrook (passed the 100 mile mark here), then having passed through Melverley, Halfway House and Westbury, headed for Minsterley and Pontesbury rather than the more direct way. A little extra was added going through Longden and finally I headed for Condover again which I judged should give me the remaining couple of miles I needed.

There was a queue for the roadworks on the A49 and it was nice to finish off the ride by filtering past them all and feeling a little smug.:whistle:

125.79 miles for the day at 13.7 mph average, easily qualifying for the Imperial Century Challenge this month but also bagging me my second metric double century.:hyper:

DSC0005037.jpg

Overcast looking from Lyth Hill. Somebody seems to have stolen the Wrekin.

DSC0005038.jpg

About to start the Folly Bank climb in the drizzle. The damp roads and lots of farm activity means the Raleigh got covered in sticky mud (well, mostly mud). I had an issue with the back mudguard clogging up later in the ride.

DSC0005040.jpg

Someone is keeping an eye on me.

DSC0005042.jpg

Hughley, from almost exactly the same spot Powell and Pressburger filmed a scene for their adaptation of Gone to Earth

DSC0005047.jpg
Moving on a bit; St. Peter's at Stoke on Tern.

DSC0005048.jpg

Elevenses stop. The elephant grass is doing well near Market Drayton.

DSC0005049.jpg

Prees.

DSC0005050.jpg

Very narrow lane en-route to Gobowen. Glad I didn't meet any other vehicles here.

DSC0005052.jpg

The Brieddens from just south of Melverley.

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Did quite a few rides I haven't updated here, but a week ago was down in London to do 3 of the '100 climbs' and on one got some nice photos...for the record White Downs was closed halfway up so will need another visit! Another rider commented on Strava that they skipped past the barrier and it was fine...D'oh. Also did a nice ride into London looking for a new 11 speed jockey wheel. (BTW York's Hill and Toy's Hill are both evil).

Photo 25-08-2017, 15 34 12.jpg

Photo 26-08-2017, 12 33 08.jpg

Photo 26-08-2017, 14 45 24.jpg

Photo 26-08-2017, 14 47 41.jpg

Photo 26-08-2017, 15 09 03.jpg

Photo 26-08-2017, 15 34 00.jpg

Photo 26-08-2017, 15 46 54.jpg

Photo 26-08-2017, 15 51 52.jpg

https://www.strava.com/activities/1153311328

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Yesterday went out with a work mate, the plan being to show him 5 of the loveliest miles I have found in north Manchester - the trail through Drinkwater Park, Waterdale, Hurst Wood and Outwood Country Park, exclusively via canal paths and cyclelanes.

Photo 04-09-2017, 16 59 38.jpg

Photo 04-09-2017, 12 41 28.jpg

To get there from South Manchester was trickier than planned as the canal path was shut at Exchange Quay so needed a little more navigation to get us back on track, whereupon more canal blockages were found near the Camponile.

Eventually getting to Radcliffe, the route to Bolton was easy bar one point where a wrong turning took us down a massive hill, and I realised we should have gone over the cycle bridge waaaaaaaay above our heads. So either we climbed the big hill, or we took the easy stairwell. Turns out the easy stairwell was greasy, slippery cobblestones. Joe in his trainers made much shorter work than I could in my cycling shoes!

Photo 04-09-2017, 14 43 23.jpg

The foot / cycle bridge was very high, there was another one a half mile later.

Photo 04-09-2017, 14 45 16.jpg

After cyling thru south Bolton we hit a park and the last 16 miles were all trails and canal paths. In fact the whole route had probably a sum total of 3 miles of on road shared with traffic and most of that was unplanned with the diversions we took, the other 35 miles of canals / park trails / dedicated cycle lane.

Passed by this nice little place on the loop back.

Photo 04-09-2017, 15 50 59.jpg

38.7 miles, was a great ride, and once I work out a better way of traversing Salford Quays will be doing again sometime.

Photo 04-09-2017, 16 29 03.png

https://www.strava.com/activities/1167989742

Last edited:
Top Bottom