Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been watching the forecast with interest for the last few days and today seemed like the optimum day for this month's challenge ride.

I used the Raleigh and headed for what will likely be my last ride to Lake Vyrnwy until next spring, getting out on the road shortly after seven. I decided to head out via Condover, Lea Cross, Westbury, Melverley, Measbrook and Llynclys then onto my usual route up the Tanat Valley the over the hills via Cwm Hirnant to Llanwddyn and Llyn Efyrnwy.

Setting out it was a few minutes before sunrise so lights were wanted but it wasn't dark enough to need them to see by. The start of the ride went swimmingly and I was setting a reasonable (but not very fast) pace. The weather has been settled the last few days so any mud on the roads was dry and the wind was light, useful as it was against me for the trip out.

Around Maesbrook it seemed to get a bit chilly so a second fleece went on, then at my food stop at Llynclys it started to drizzle (the forecast last night said a 10% chance of precipitation up to 9am so I could live with that). As I proceeded up the Tanat Valley the drizzle got heavier, then turned to rain (not so happy with that forecast now :dry:). At Llangedwyn I pulled over to put on waterproofs in the bus shelter. Since this hadn't been in the forcast I didn't know whether I'd have it the whole way to Vyrnwy or if it would clear. I seriously considered abandoning the ride and settling for a metric century today but in the end decided to risk it and carry on

The rain was persistant as I passed Pentrefelin and Llanrhaeadr-Ym-Mochnant but fortunately I rode out of it at Pedair-Ffordd. At Pen-y-Bont Fawr it had cleared enough for me to be confident the waterproofs could go away again and I headed for the hills, letting a tanker driver go ahead - a decision I later regretted as he was slow enough to hold me up and then he had a standoff on a narrow bit with an Audi driver who didn't seem to know their car had a reverse gear.:rolleyes:

Having got over the hills I got to the lake, had a bite to eat and proceeded round for my first lap. I got on well but could feel the legs after the hills. There were quite a few people out cycling and enjoying the autumn colours which are better up here than at home.

The Old Barn cafe has closed for the winter so I ended up at Artisans for a coffee. I went to lock the bike up and realised that I remembered having seen the keys on my bedside table:rolleyes:. Fortunately nobody seemed inclined to rob me of the bike today, which is just as well.

The second lap of the lake followed and I got on better than on the first once I'd got into a rythm. I paused for lunch before leaving the lake shore then tackled the hills for the second time today and carried on climbing on the alternative route back to Pen-y-Bont Fawr. Something nice is that I now get a phone signal in the town. On all of my previous rides had nothing after Llynclys, meaning about 60 miles of riding with no means of keeping family updated on progress.

Heading back down the valley I got on well for the most part but with hardly any wind now it wasn't quite as fun as it would have been with a good tailwind. The road was quite busy with articulated lorries - all very courteous and I gave each a wave of appreciation.:smile:

After another pause for what was left of my food at Llynclys I headed for Maesbrook again and onto the quieter lanes. I decided to retrace my steps from this morning even though I'd originally intended to take the more direct way. I was slow up the hill at Prince's Oak and not exactly quick for the rest of this section as I'd got over 100 miles in the legs by now and the roads undulate a bit.

On the way out this morning I'd passed a lad near Edge who was cycling to school. It surprised me to pass him again on the way back - what are the chances of being there at the right time?:laugh:

With the extra stops on the outward trip and having extended the ride a bit it was going dark by the time I got back to Lea Cross. I think that apart from a few short test rides this is the first proper night riding I've done on the Raleigh since getting the B&M lights. A stop was needed for adjustment as one was aimed too high but apart from that it was great. (Not a huge surprise really as I also used them for commuting on the knockabout bike)

I headed over Lyth Hill rather than the flatter way home as that would have meant two crossings of the A49 which was busy, then went the long way round the village just to round things up.

115.2 miles today at 14mph average. Happy with that.

DSC0005342.jpg

Near Melverley. A bit of early mist around the Breidden.

DSC0005343.jpg

My friend from the last time I was here is still hanging round.

DSC0005346.jpg

Getting wet again at Llangedwyn

DSC0005354.jpg

Arrived at Llyn Efyrnwy. Photo taken for me by a kind passing cyclist.

DSC0005360.jpg

Attempt at an arty shot at the far end of the lake.

DSC0005370.jpg

Some good autumn colour up here.

DSC0005373.jpg

DSC0005376.jpg

DSC0005379.jpg

On the alternative route back to Pen-y-Bont Fawr.

DSC0005380.jpg

Nearly home. Up on Lyth Hill.

OK, yesterday's ride, but still...

Back on the bike after a hiatus caused (mainly) by the Supreme Cat Show. Nothing special, just an 8 mile utility bimble to Littleport and back via the Common and Black Bank to drop off mum's prescription.

They're still doing works on Black Bank - the road is closed to traffic except for access - but it is passable by bike. Some of the nasty dips have been evened out, but other repairs are not so good, as they're like trying to ride across a washboard.

Was good to get out though, and saw the most fabby sunset. Temps did dip after, so was glad of the winter jacket and fleecy tights.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Although not signed up for the CC Metric Century or the Half Century challenges, I have managed to get one 100K and one 50 miler in most months and, having today off work I set out to get the 100K for this month in early. Although the weather forecast was for light or no wind, there was a noticable breeze and I may have had an off day as it felt hard going for the whole ride.

Similar to the ride a couple of weeks ago, the route was a fairly direct ride (for me) out to Stowmarket via Levington, Nacton, Ipswich, Sproughton, Bramford
Bramford Cemetary.JPG

and Needham Market before turning for home via Creeting St. Peter, Earl Stonham, Pettaugh, Helmingham, Ashbocking, Witnesham, Westerfield, Ipswich (again) and the normal last 10 miles from there.
Thursday.jpg

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Figured I'd get the metric century challenge ride in early since you never know how the weather is going to be at this time of year, and work commitments are going to make it difficult to get in anywhere else.
A chilly start, and pea soup fog for the first 2 hours so lights front and rear even though it was 9:30 in the morning. Struggled a bit to get going, but once into Windsor Great Park after 8 miles it seemed to get a bit easier. The plan today was to get the lumpy bit around WGP, Ascot etc out the way first, then have a steady paced ride on the relatively flat roads down to Kingston Bridge, Bushy Park and home. Got held up at 2 or 3 sets of temporary lights going through Walton/Hersham and Molesey. Unusually for me I rode through the middle of Molesey, simply because there were 2 Explorer squares that I'd ridden all the way round but never through!
Reaching Hampton Court it soon became apparent my plans to get to Kingston were a non-starter as the police had closed the road. Traffic through Bushy Park was pretty much stationary right through to Teddington, not an issue on the bike of course:smile:
Straight run home, stopping to use the facilities at Walton Bridge, after which it was warm enough to ditch the gilet and full finger gloves.
A very nice 64.4 miles. And a foggy photo to finish
3 Nov 2017 Foggy WGP.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Okay, a quick one mile ride up the road and another back to get something from Sainsburys this evening may cause some debate about whether it's worthy to report on here, but it was another cyclist I saw coming the other way that I think requires a note: a young man, dressed in black clothes, wearing a black hat, no lights ... with his hands in his pockets. :whistle:

pjd57

Veteran
Okay, a quick one mile ride up the road and another back to get something from Sainsburys this evening may cause some debate about whether it's worthy to report on here, but it was another cyclist I saw coming the other way that I think requires a note: a young man, dressed in black clothes, wearing a black hat, no lights ... with his hands in his pockets. :whistle:
That wasn't a cyclist , it was a #### on a bike.

Just one of my usual loops at teatime; Littleport - Golds Hill - Hundred Foot - Pymoor - O Furlong

Felt like really hard work after not having had much time on the bike of late and took me longer than usual. But it was good to be out, saw a lovely sunset, moonrise (the moon was red!) and I do so like riding at dusk. Also saw my first lot of swans of the autumn / winter heading west towards Welney. Think they were whoopers, but couldn't say for sure as the light was fading by then.

Had a couple of hairy near misses on the A1101 heading towards Golds Hill, especially some twonk in a Golf GTi who only gave me about 6 inches grace at well over the speed limit. :angry:

14 tough and chilly miles. The temperature dipped markedly after the sun went down. Extra layer on next time...

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A nice little ride this morning. We are in Devon for my sister in laws wedding. Jo has some flower arranging to do so I set off from my father in laws caravan park up the Plym valley. I’ve had a cold all week and I’m hoping to sweat it out. I’ve certainly sweated but still feel a bit grim!
The first bird I saw was a kingfisher, soon followed by a great spotted woodpecker.

9C70DBAF-9B05-4282-A63A-66FA53B407F9.jpeg
48EBB86E-8E3B-45F4-A1FF-653628AAB647.jpeg
AC2AA8A5-40E2-44F4-AB2E-3B01BDFA61A4.jpeg
976E307E-8405-4BC1-940F-42C4CB366015.jpeg
7A0DA509-C050-494B-8B1F-0EC130E8C288.jpeg
DDC38344-AF36-45F9-9685-7DD4CCEF13DA.jpeg
01F6D1B5-CF19-47EE-92CC-3446941786C4.jpeg
2989593C-56D1-47E6-B278-4E48B36B925B.jpeg

14 miles of fun. I suppose I need a shower now!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1260322440

Old jon

Guru
Well, I went for a ride. On the fixed, but the start was delayed. You know we all have almost subconscious things we do? One of many that I have is to check free axial movement of wheel rims, before I sit on the bike. Anyway, the back wheel had more play than I recalled, so it was time to take up the slack. The bike has done just over a thousand miles, so I thought to actually look at the bearings while I was about the job. The wheel had to come out anyway and on this bike that means spanners and an allen key and swearing and mucky hands ‘cos you take the gloves off and forget to replace them. And then you see the bearings, resplendent with a pessimum ( thank you Phil Irving ) of lubrication. So I added grease and faffed a bit until I had half a mill of play at the rim and stuck it all back together. And pedalled off.

Without much of a route in mind, or much of a mind at all, the bike found its own way through Holbeck and when it seemed to be heading for Crown Point Bridge I decided Cinder Bridge was the better option, so rode through Hunslet and up to John o’ Gaunts. Really, I was not wanting too much climbing and the hill up from Hunslet was quite an effort. Dropped to the Oulton roundabout and turned right there to make my way through Saturday morning Rothwell. The decision had been made to have a short ride, just to make sure everything still worked. The bike was fine, the body less so. Anyway, follow the road past Carlton and towards Robin Hood, as the video shows, it was hard pedalling.

Thorpe is next, and then a bit more suburb riding, Middleton and the welcome downhill to the Tommy Wass. Why that way? There were some roadworks at the Halfway House and I, plus some car drivers, could not see a way to turn right there. I likely need to clean my glasses. So, down ( again ) Dewsbury Road and home after 14.4 miles. Oooh, one tenth of a gross. Do schoolchildren still have to do that stuff, I wonder? Dunno, but I enjoyed the ride.
A chance to see a map of slow progress

04112017.jpg

13 rider

Guru
If you go for a ride it no use having spare tubes and tools in case of a puncture if you leave your pump at home :cursing:. Set of this morning at 1030 after the rain had stopped out to Market Bosworth then across the A5 into Atherstone and on to some new roads around Ansley Common to Nuneaton for some veloviewer squares then back over the A5 . Fenny Drayton .Sutton Cheney and Cadeby . Where I felt the rear wheel feel a bit squishy .Pulled over at a convient bus shelter just about to set about taking the wheel off when I realised my pump is in my pannier on the commuting bike in the shed at home :banghead:. Only a slow puncture 9 miles from home can I make it . Gingerly set off soon figured if I stood up and took the pressure of the wheel it might last . Riding 3 miles out of the saddle is hard work it soon became clear I wouldn't make it so had to call for the rescue squad . 30 minutes later bikes in the back of Nephews car and on the way home . Cutting the ride short at 40 miles so missed my target of a 50 mile ride :sad: but enough for a metric half :smile: so not all bad and a few veloviewer squares .I must remember my pump ! Next time

Top Bottom