Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yes, indeed. Well done Mr D!

Were you on the new or old bike?

Cheers
Derek
My "trusty" old bike. (Didn't feel sensible doing a 100km this soon on a new one I wasn't used to). You weren't the only one making the wrong decisions yesterday!

13 rider

Guru
3 busy days riding for me Day off work on Friday so target was to complete the metric century challenge 68.5 miles in bitterly cold conditions . Home to Derby and back gathering a few veloviewer squares . Yesterday was time for the Imperial century challenge 113 miles circular route Home to Atherstone then round the bottom of Leicester to Nice Pies for cake to celebrate . Lovely ride in the company of @Supersuperleeds ,@tallliman and @Lilliburlero . Not as cold as Friday but a bit damp and miserable .Today target was to get an official ride in for the half century challenge . Fully wrapped up again only to find it was warmer than expected so a bit :sweat: as I overheated a tad . Headed out to Hinckley and Nuneaton to gather more veloviewer squares and return . Managed to get a Imperial half in 50.06 miles so only just . Legs feeling it a bit now 230 miles in 3 days but 3 challenges completed so a nice productive weekend .

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well, after a bout of Christmas shopping in Cambridge, followed by a snooze for 10 minutes on the sofa I rolled the Spa out of the garage at about 3.30.
The saddle was replaced a couple of weeks ago after the original broke, so this was to be the longest ride so far on it.

Coming along my road a blackbird landed on a gatepost. It had a white head and wing panel (the bird, not the post)

I was just going to keep it simple and do a Gransdens loop. I headed over the A428 toward Bourn
IMG_5349.JPG

The light was starting to fade on a dull winter day.

Between Longstowe and Great Gransden a group of 4 riders came the other way, it looked like Cambridge CTC.

On my way into Toft I could see the bottom, orange 5th of the super moon slowly get swallowed by the cloud, the orange stain remaining a good while.

Up the hill to home
IMG_5350.JPG

It's a local sport for the kids to scrub the W out on the sign, I see nothing wrong with that kind of sophisticated humour!

20 mild miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1300776173

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Almost ideal cycling weather given the time of year (and what we had last weekend / earlier in the week) - a bit chilly but dry and only a light wind. A bit of sunshine wouldn't have gone amiss, but you can't have everything can you? :laugh:

So, today was the perfect chance to get my qualifying ride in for the Half Century Challenge and complete it for a second year.

Wrapped up well and a first ride out for my new £8 Amazon cycling gloves. A quick warm up on local roads then out onto Leeds Road, over Cock Beck and the climb up to Scholes, taking it steady today past the Coronation Tree, up the hill over the 'orrible stripes and then the long descent into Barwick. From about a quarter mile away I could see temporary traffic lights on green, which obviously changed to red just as I got to them :dry: so I took a sneaky left onto Carrfield Road and looped through the back streets, popping back out onto Main Street by the Maypole and powering down the hill past the church only to find more temporary traffic lights...this was to be a recurring theme today :rolleyes:
Anyhow, the long gradual descent down to cross Cock Beck again and then the lumpiness of Cattle Lane to Aberford, where a right then a left saw me climbing the hill towards Lotherton Gates which today was blathered in mud thanks to some kind farmer. Left at the Gates and straight on past the farm (more mud) before the long steady drop down to the Crooked Billet pub. I had a lovely clear view across the lower Vale of York and could see the snow on the Wolds in the far distance as they rose up beyond York, which made me glad I wouldn't be going that far today.
After the pub the road starts to rise again, past the battlefield site and then it's into Towton, a short shuffle along the A162 and right onto the aptly names Raw Lane for the steady drop into Ulleskelf. Over the railway bridge and through the village back onto Busk Lane and past Leeds East Airport where there were more temporary traffic lights and a load more mud on the road from the building site opposite.
Into the fringes of Church Fenton and left onto Brackenhill Lane to complete the Airfield Loop. I didn't see another soul from there all the way to the railway bridge just before Ryther and once in the village itself I stopped for a Snickers and a couple of photos:
20171203_141000-ANIMATION.gif
20171203_141419-ANIMATION.gif

A very cheery peloton of cycling ninjas (all in black) passed while I was stopped, then it was back on the bike and on over the railway bridge and through Ozendyke where a couple of kestrels(?) were swooping about at head height along and around the road - what a fantastic sight- and then to Ulleskelf (again), back down past the airport (traffic lights and mud again) and into Church Fenton where it was through the village where they were busy hanging the Christmas lights from the lampposts (makes a change from chasing strangers with pitchforks I suppose :laugh: ), over another railway bridge and along the long straight to Barkston Ash. Through there and back onto the A162, before taking the long way round to Saxton on Saxton Lane rather than Headwell Lane. From there it was a route the bike could probably do on it's own past the cricket club and up past Linda's Bench which sadly looks to have ben vandalised since I last passed this way. Under the crackling high tension wires, with a sizeable but sociable peloton heading the other way (Knottingley Velo?), before the drop down onto Copley Lane for the run back to Lotherton Gates, getting my first close pass of the day from a Volvo driver who just had to get past unsighted on the S-bends, through the mud by the farm and after a wiggle on the B1217, dropping down under the A1(M) and into Aberford.
Through the village and back onto Cattle Lane, the drop down to Cock Beck and the climb into Barwick, getting checked at those lights again, through the back streets to avoid the other set of lights and the climb up the hill before dropping down the hill over the rumble strips into Scholes. I'd had a remarkably unremarkable ride with regard to close passes up to that point, but I got two more dropping down the hill (one by an Audi with all the windows down that absolutely stank of weed), then past the Coronation Tree where another Audi driver pulled out from the kerb fully across the road in front of me to back onto his driveway :dry:
Anyway, from there it's just a drop down to Cock Beck for the final time, a climb up the other side and then local roads up to home.

34.70 miles (55.84km) in 2h 27m at an acceptable average of 14.1mph with 1,364ft climbed and an almost tropical average temperature of 5.5°C

Great to get my qualifying ride in for the 2017 Half Century Challenge and close that off for the year, and a couple of muppets aside a really enjoyable ride - you know, one that just feels right.
The £8 Amazon gloves were absolutely spot on - they kept my hands toasty warm but not sweaty, they are a virtually perfect fit and the touchscreen bits work perfectly meaning I don't need to wrestle them off mid-ride to use my phone (unlike some considerably more expensive ones I could mention...). They're now my #1 gloves, at least until it gets warm enough to use mitts again.

Quite a few other riders out today too, including a couple whose path crossed with mine three or four times.

And to end, a map:
03122017.JPG

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Metric challenge a month completed today with a harder than it should have been 64 miles out towards Maidenhead and the surrounding area. Largely new roads for me, and grabbed a surprising 21 Explorer squares for my efforts. Glad I started doing the squares thing as I've covered ground I wouldn't otherwise even think of doing.

MiK1138

Veteran
Short ride to
20171203_150245.jpg
the Transport museum to see this bad boy

Mrs M

Guru
Snatched victory from the jaws of defeat today, in managing to complete my third successive Metric Century a Month Challenge despite a mechanical.

To say the day didn't start well would be an understatement. I was running a bit late (due to my cat ralphing up all over the living room carpet), and somehow managed to leave the house without my audax route sheet for the first time ever. I didn't discover this until it was too late. After @Banjo had to drop out the other day due to illness, we were to be a 3 man peloton today ... @jembullo, Rich W from my cycling club and me. I made it to the start just in time, only to find it was cold, wet and raining. Jem had a problem with his Garmin, which was worrying as I would have to follow him today, in the absence of my "flatnav" , but we were soon on our way again, looking forward to the "Once More Unto Agincourt" audax from Tewkesbury to Monmouth and back. That didn't last long. No sooner had we turned left over the Mythe Bridge than I lost the use of my front derailleur. :banghead:The 3 of us pulled over in a muddy gateway and all had a go at it. The best bodge job we could manage was to get it so it would change up through the gears, but not back down again. Reckon the spring had stopped working.

After wasting 15 minutes or more, I baled on my mates so they could get the 68 mile ride done in daylight. I would have loved to do that one, as it used a cycle path from Symonds Yat to Monmouth that I never knew even existed. But with only the use of the middle chain ring, I knew I would only hold them up, so we said our goodbyes and I turned around to trudge back to Tewkesbury in defeat.

Then my stubborn streak kicked in, and I thought "sod that!" I hadn't kept a run of 35 successive months with a metric ton going, only to chuck it all away with my tail between my legs. So I turned left instead, and headed off into the flatlands of Worcestershire, planning originally to stay within 10 or 15 miles of Tewkesbury as I didn't have a map and in case of breakdown. Ended up doing a circuitous route, zig-zagging and loop-the-looping around Worcestershire, sometimes on quiet little lanes and sometimes on A roads. Several places were visited twice, and it was too convoluted a route to list. Suffice to say it took in Tewkesbury, Upton on Severn, Malvern Wells, Great Malvern, Powick (on the outskirts of Worcester) and Pershore. All the while I was making mental calculations of distances, which I judged to perfection, finishing back in Tewkesbury on 62.25 miles (100.2km).:bicycle:

Nearly all of that was done in the middle chain ring. The only real climb was from near Malvern Wells to Great Malvern, and I wouldn't have needed the granny ring for that anyway. The rest of the time I was spinning madly in middle gear, trying to get above 13 or 14 mph. Occasionally I changed up into the big ring, but not too often, as every time I hit a slope I had to then dismount and push in the derailleur manually while turning the pedal and lifting the rear wheel off the ground ... rather awkward.

Finished in 6 hours 10 mins (including the faffing about at the beginning), at 15:10, so never needed my front light on solid beam. Rich and Jem finished their ride about 40 minutes later, and seem to have enjoyed it. I am more than a little jealous, but relieved not to have to try to find an alternative date to get my challenge ride completed. All over for another year now. Thanks again for the help, Jem and Rich. Get well soon, Banjo.

Cheers, Donger.
Well done :smile:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Things have warmed up a bit. I didn't need full winter kit. But time was a tad short so I took to the old standby Strensham loop. Plenty of riders were out and about. Not many, it seems, take to the lanes. Well the bulk of those I saw were on my crossings of the larger roads. Great to see so many out and about for sure. I rode steadily and just enjoyed the ambiance. Lovely to get this one in. 35 smiles

delb0y

Legendary Member
My "trusty" old bike.

Yep, they know don't they? They carry us thousands of hard miles, up steep hills, against gales and into blizzards. They take us through rain storms and they negotiate those tough old, rough old, roads. They bounce through potholes and erosions, over cracks and crevasses. They do all we ask of them and they look after us very well, carry us everywhere we ask, up mountains, across valleys and vales, through fords and forests, cruising down the slow roads and racing along the fast . And then... when it's time...When a newer, shinier, younger model comes along. Maybe a little slimmer around the waist with a few more curves and a slicker touch to the operation. When that happens, well they know, don't they? Can't blame them for the occasional petulance, the solitary tear, the sad kiss farewell, and thanks for the good-times.

bruce1530

Guru
Strange sort of ride today...

I needed to get a 50k to complete the metric-50-a-month challenge. Dry morning, breezy. We’d had a family night out last night, and I'd left my car at a hotel a few miles away- so my plan was to head up the coast for a bit, then turn back, finishing off at the hotel. Stick the bike in the car and home.

The first few miles along the coast, heading north. The breeze was in my face, and it felt stronger and colder than I’d expected. Past the hotel, and on towards Largs.

It’s about 21k from my house to Largs, so I generally have to go through the town, on for another km or so then turn if I want to get a “50”. Today I’d have to go a bit further, since I was finishing at the hotel. Went on to the edge of Skelmorlie. It felt a bit of a slog. Maybe it was the breeze, maybe a beer too many last night...

Turned and headed home. Slightly easier, since wind was behind me. That section of the road is treacherous - the A78 along the coast from Largs to Skelmorlie. Quite twisty and relatively narrow, with a vicious-looking metal fence for most of the way separating you from the drop down to the sea. Not one for the rush hour, but today - a sunday morning - it was OK.

Back through Largs. Bike felt “heavy” - not going to break any records today!

As I approached the hotel where I’d left the car, I realised I’d miscalculated. My trip would have been 46km, so need to go past the hotel for a couple of K, then turn back to complete the 50k challenge. And it was at the far end of that final loop that I got the puncture!

Couldn’t believe it. First puncture of the year, and it was when i was about 5 minutes from the end of the challenge!

It was a slow rear puncture - I’m guessing the wheel had been getting soft for the last few miles, which is why it was feeling heavy. Anyway - I got away with sticking some air in it and heading back to the car, totalling 50.2k!

Arrived at the car. Opened the boot to fold down the back seats - only to remember that the boot was full of christmas presents....

So a game of “dirty bike and nicely-wrapped-parcel Tetris” ensued.... but 50k challenge completed!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got my final qualifying ride for the 2017 Imperial Century Challenge in today.

Based on the expected wind direction, heading for a loop round the north of the county seemed like the best option (and is also flatter than what I had in mind originally) so I was up and ready early, and on the road with the knockabout bike just before 7am heading to Condover, Exfords Green, Pontesbury, Westbury, Melverley and Oswestry.

Obviously at this time of year lights were wanted at the start. The roads were quiet and I got on fairly well despite riding against the wind at the start (checking later on, the wind speed was less than the forecast had suggested - no complaints from me about that:okay:) I was little surprised about how many other cyclists I met on the way. Nice to see them out at this time of year.

On the way to Oswestry it had stuck me that the wind direction was also different to the forecast (westerly rather than northerly). This helped as I was turning east through Gobowen so had it helping for a while. The section from Gobowen through Ellesmere to Welshampton was incredibly muddy and the bike is plastered with it and so was I up to the knees. Goodness knows what it would have been like if I didn't have mudguards.:blink: I had a bit of moment at one of the junctions when the driver who had stopped to give way interpreted me sticking my arm out to indicate my right turn as permission to go first :wacko:. It was close but we missed each other.

At Welshampton I noticed the wind had shifted again nearer to the forecast direction. Good timing as it helped me along to Northwood but was a slightly annoying crosswind from there until Ightfield. I got held up at the level crossing again at Prees but only about 3 minutes wait this time.

From Ightfield I headed through Calverhall, Longslow, Longford and into Market Drayton. I had the wind helping again for a long stretch which made for some very pleasant and quick cruising speeds. I was however starting to feel the legs a bit by now, having passed the metric century, and found the hills round Market Drayton a little bit of an effort.

A lunch break was taken on the edge of the field of elephant grass at the hamlet of Sutton. Another cyclist stopped to check if I was alright which was good.

Onwards again and the wind was still mostly helping, although not in the ideal direction for me now. I started to feel cold after Stoke-on-Tern so a stop was needed for an extra fleece. I also found myself wanting more regular stops to drink.

I carried on through Eaton-upon-Tern, Ellerdine, High Ercall, Roden, Rodington Heath and Walcot. On Bluebell Lane I found myself completely running out of energy but lunch wasn't sitting well so I really didn't want to eat. However I did force down some crisps and a cake and it did help perk me up for the next bit through Eaton Constantine to Cressage where the legs started to protest and I was incredibly slow to Cound Moor and Acton Burnell.

I was riding against the wind again now but fortunately it died down so I really only had to struggle with the hills on the way to Condover. The last bit was alright apart from a twit who thought that overtaking me up to the give way line at the A49 junction was a good idea. He backed off when I glared at him. Must be something about the look of a rider who has done well over 100 miles already and wants to get home.:laugh:

107.12 miles at 12.9mph average (better than I thought it would be). 9 hours 50 minutes with all the stops included and challenge completed for the year.:wahhey:

DSC0005493.jpg

At Pontesbury early on. A few Christmas lights on despite the early hour.

DSC0005498.jpg

Good news at Maesbury. It's possible some might remember a previous photo of the old school all boarded up and derelict. When last here my heart sank as I saw it had been sold and assumed it was going to be pulled down for yet another housing development, but no. It's been refurbished and is going to reopen as a nursery. Great to see an old building getting resued.:okay:

DSC0005500.jpg

Oswestry town centre.

DSC0005502.jpg

Jumping on a bit, the Llangollen Canal at Hampton Bank.

DSC0005504.jpg

More interesting local names at Whixall.

DSC0005506.jpg

Prees.

DSC0005511.jpg

Market Drayton

DSC0005513.jpg

In the elephant grass at Sutton. As you see the bike has picked up a bit of mud. It looks cleaner in the photo than in real life.:eek:

DSC0005514.jpg

Onto home ground now with a view of The Wrekin.

DSC0005516.jpg

Less than 10 miles from home now and looking across the new playing fields to Concord College at Acton Burnell.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Got my final qualifying ride for the 2017 Imperial Century Challenge in today.

Based on the expected wind direction, heading for a loop round the north of the county seemed like the best option (and is also flatter than what I had in mind originally) so I was up and ready early, and on the road with the knockabout bike just before 7am heading to Condover, Exfords Green, Pontesbury, Westbury, Melverley and Oswestry.

Obviously at this time of year lights were wanted at the start. The roads were quiet and I got on fairly well despite riding against the wind at the start (checking later on, the wind speed was less than the forecast had suggested - no complaints from me about that:okay:) I was little surprised about how many other cyclists I met on the way. Nice to see them out at this time of year.

On the way to Oswestry it had stuck me that the wind direction was also different to the forecast (westerly rather than northerly). This helped as I was turning east through Gobowen so had it helping for a while. The section from Gobowen through Ellesmere to Welshampton was incredibly muddy and the bike is plastered with it and so was I up to the knees. Goodness knows what it would have been like if I didn't have mudguards.:blink: I had a bit of moment at one of the junctions when the driver who had stopped to give way interpreted me sticking my arm out to indicate my right turn as permission to go first :wacko:. It was close but we missed each other.

At Welshampton I noticed the wind had shifted again nearer to the forecast direction. Good timing as it helped me along to Northwood but was a slightly annoying crosswind from there until Ightfield. I got held up at the level crossing again at Prees but only about 3 minutes wait this time.

From Ightfield I headed through Claverhall, Longslow, Longford and into Market Drayton. I had the wind helping again for a long stretch which made for some very pleasant and quick cruising speeds. I was however starting to feel the legs a bit by now, having passed the metric century, and found the hills round Market Drayton a little bit of an effort.

A lunch break was taken on the edge of the field of elephant grass at the hamlet of Sutton. Another cyclist stopped to check if I was alright which was good.

Onwards again and the wind was still mostly helping, although not in the ideal direction for me now. I started to feel cold after Stoke-on-Tern so a stop was needed for an extra fleece. I also found myself wanting more regular stops to drink.

I carried on through Eaton-upon-Tern, Ellerdine, High Ercall, Roden, Rodington Heath and Walcot. On Bluebell Lane I found myself completely running out of energy but lunch wasn't sitting well so I really didn't want to eat. However I did force down some crisps and a cake and it did help perk me up for the next bit through Eaton Constantine to Cressage where the legs started to protest and I was incredibly slow to Cound Moor and Acton Burnell.

I was riding against the wind again now but fortunately it died down so I really only had to struggle with the hills on the way to Condover. The last bit was alright apart from a twit who thought that overtaking me up to the give way line at the A49 junction was a good idea. He backed off when I glared at him. Must be something about the look of a rider who has done well over 100 miles already and wants to get home.:laugh:

107.12 miles at 12.9mph average (better than I thought it would be). 9 hours 50 minutes with all the stops included and challenge completed for the year.:wahhey:

View attachment 385907
At Pontesbury early on. A few Christmas lights on despite the early hour.

View attachment 385908
Good news at Maesbury. It's possible some might remember a previous photo of the old school all boarded up and derelict. When last here my heart sank as I saw it had been sold and assumed it was going to be pulled down for yet another housing development, but no. It's been refurbished and is going to reopen as a nursery. Great to see an old building getting resued.:okay:

View attachment 385909
Oswestry town centre.

View attachment 385910
Jumping on a bit, the Llangollen Canal at Hampton Bank.

View attachment 385911
More interesting local names at Whixall.

View attachment 385912
Prees.

View attachment 385913
Market Drayton

View attachment 385914
In the elephant grass at Sutton. As you see the bike has picked up a bit of mud. It looks cleaner in the photo than in real life.:eek:

View attachment 385915
Onto home ground now with a view of The Wrekin.

View attachment 385916
Less than 10 miles from home now and looking across the new playing fields to Concord College at Acton Burnell.
Well done, 100 miles every month is no mean feat

Top Bottom