Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
1B6C6232-F53D-4261-9A2D-22024DCBE210.jpeg
B17BE9A2-0125-424A-843D-F0FDE82FDD53.jpeg
ABB86A64-527F-4DA8-8934-7EA2D5826900.jpeg

Really mild after work so hopped on the Tricross for an extended home commute, the first half of the ride I was flying then the killer headwind, ouch, a sufferfest for the last 10 miles.
28.1 miles with an average of 14.2 mph, hard work!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Some new faces this evening for the GV outing. Quite a big group assembled at LittleDean. 25 or more. The pace was fast on the way out. Tail wind will do that. At the turn the pace dropped briefly then picked as the finish got closer. The ride took me on some new tarmac so the climb from Newnham was a new one. By that stage the youngsters had gone. 33 smiles

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Another good day in Dieppe. A nice gentle ride today as one of the girls had a knee problem. The weather was really warm. Not to much sunshine in the morning. But ended the afternoon in the sun. First time riding no hands on a road bike. Was a fun day on the bike.
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/qP3zomnD7W
IMG_20190530_181356_777.jpg
IMG-20190530-WA0033.jpeg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Another good morning! One of those where there is no rain and a gentle breeze, accurately made to enthuse this bike rider to go out and . . . ride a bike.

Grey clouds, the odd bit of visible blue. But still aware of a low level of fitness, so yet again take the bike with the gears. Less than a mile from home I realised I had dressed a bit too warmly, not something that happens often here and I reckoned the zip could control ventilation, rather than an immediate return home. And the first bit of the ride is Office Lock to Viaduct Road, three little slopes to deal with and forget about the gradients after that. Until I reached them, that is. Arrival in Headingley was well warm, head for Lawnswood, just like a lift, going up. Right by the school four fit folk passed me. Just across the Ring Road one of four fit folk had a puncture. It was so good to stop, make sure they had the stuff they needed, thirty seconds of chat and off I went, rested.

Church lane is roughly parallel to the A 660 here, and a bit along the road I turned right, then left onto Church Lane and rode past that church. And across Adel Dam, or maybe in sight of, check an online map sometime. Climb away from there, the road levels out a bit, turn left and the road does that rising again. Oh dear! Along here is an almost secret entrance and car park to Golden Acre Park, then the turn to Bramhope. But today my intention was to ride down ( the easy way ) Black Hill Road, so straight on in anticipation of a few dropping curves. It almost happened that way, there was a bit too much farmyard on the road for me to be happy about the sort of speed I usually manage down here. Always next time. Very neatly at the bottom of the hill the A659 gives a choice of left or right. I chose the first and rode along in the direction of Otley.

As the video shows, Arthington is a spread out village. Used to have a railway station of its own, on the Leeds Harrogate line. Difficult to imagine the station was ever busy though. Going into Pool from this direction is a twisty length of road with some surprisingly good sight lines, even with the late spring foliage in the way. Enough to be confident waving the odd car past. Turn right, through Pool and then left, the maypole in Otley is the next stop, to eat and drink. And rest. Because the next bit is out of Otley on the Leeds Road, a couple of miles of steadily rising tarmac. This time of year there are some good views northward, not as many as after the leaves have fallen but enough to entertain me while I slowly made my way up this. The last two bends at the top are always good to see, you know there is a rest soon. Red light at the Dyneley Arms, still has the advert in the window for someone to run the place. Had a few drinks there in the past but it seems unlikely that I will in the future.

From here I took the lazy way back, straight along the A 660. Diversions are there to be ridden, including hilly bits. Save them for another ride. Through Bramhope, I wonder what is being built just before the roundabout? Might have to read a sign. A fairly brisk ride past the other side of Golden Acre Park, slower past the hotel and into Lawnswood but speeding up down the newly resurfaced stretch into Headingley. Where the right turn to Kirkstall took me back to the towpath, and someone else’s puncture. A knobbly tyred bike with Schrader valves. The rider did not carry a pump, I do but it only fits Presta valves so yet again I could only commiserate. And ride on, dodging joggers and leadless dogs, back to the end of Water Lane and the relative sanity of the final few roads to home. I should have ridden around the block, 29.9 miles and more than 1300 feet vertically. Well worth a smile!

Odd shapes the roads make . . .

30052019.jpg

Con

Über Member
First time out with the wife on her road bike I was a bit worried that she'd struggle on hills with her 39/25 lowest gear but she coped really well only using it on the steepest ones she really did well. I reckon it was years of riding her heavy bso round has built her legs up a lot more than I thought. It was me struggling to keep up with her with my pansy triple. . . . . I'm off to bury my head for a bit a can't stand the gloating.

Back out on the Trek MTB today. Also, nice bright red Spesh mitts! First destination, the Eastgate Brasserie by the river, to deliver another pair of Spesh mitts to my son, who works there. Then out on the A386 north to Pitts Cleeve, turn up under the old railway bridge, and join NCN27/270 through town. Stopped at the canal for a pic or two...
DSC00321.JPG

Also some cuteness...
DSC00320.JPG

Then on along 27, through Grenofen Tunnel, failed to get up the ramp at Leg O'Mutton without walking, and on to the top of the slope down to Clearbrook as a turnaround point.
DSC00322.JPG

Uneventful overall, lots of cyclists about, from kiddies to bunches of gung-ho roadies. Actually quite cool for most of the ride, but by the end, warm and sunny.
20.4 miles, 9.25mph avg, 1497ft of upness.
Brings my year to date to 110 miles, all bar 28 this month.

pawl

Legendary Member
First time out with the wife on her road bike I was a bit worried that she'd struggle on hills with her 39/25 lowest gear but she coped really well only using it on the steepest ones she really did well. I reckon it was years of riding her heavy bso round has built her legs up a lot more than I thought. It was me struggling to keep up with her with my pansy triple. . . . . I'm off to bury my head for a bit a can't stand the gloating.

Time for an E Bike methinks

pawl

Legendary Member
Time to get off my fat lazy ass more like. . . . . E bike!!!! How very dare you

Gat one of those motors you can conceal in your bottom bracket,no will know.I won’t tell,promise.
Just put the cheque in the post.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Up at 5am and out of the door for 6am. Arm warmers and woolly gloves in the back pocket, it's a little bit chilly and I did think about stopping and putting them on, but decided against it.

14 miles gentle ride out to Market Bosworth to meet @13 rider. I get to the meet and he is already there, so set straight off. Head off and immediately take a wrong turn, good start to the day :laugh: but quickly back on track. Took the easy way through Orton on the Hill and headed towards Lichfield.

Over the A38 and onto the A5127 towards a double roundabout serving the A5 and the M6, wasn't looking forward to this but we got through it with no hassle, wouldn't want to be anywhere near it at a rush hour though.

First diversion of the day back towards the A5 to grab a veloviewer square.

Head north and go through Lichfield, the bypass was a steady climb but okay traffic wise, out of Lichfield and immediately onto proper countryside back lanes.

It got lumpy at this point, for the next ten miles or so we were either heading up or down, mostly up, next to no flat whatsoever

We eventually started to descend and I made a right hash of things. I got to close to @13 rider and decided rather than braking I'd go by. I went way too fast and nearly came a cropper on the next bend, it gave me a right fright :cry: but I stayed upright and managed not to hit @13 rider

Before long we were in Curborough for the cafe stop to meet @Lilliburlero. He was already there, so a nice catch up over sausage sandwiches and coffee and we were off again

10 or so miles back on familiar roads and @Lilliburlero peels off to head home.

A bit of drafting behind a tractor gave us a brief rest before he pulled over to let us and a car by. We then spot another cyclist up ahead so we gave chase, took us a while to catch him as we went up and down the lumpy bits between Snarestone and Market Bosworth but we did ^_^

Thankfully he turned off just after we overtook him, I was a bit knackered. :rolleyes:

Back into Market Bosworth, then Desford and @13 rider turns to head home. I had one more climb to do, going through Kirby Muxloe up to the A47. Stopped at my favourite corner shop. The people who run it are so friendly. Ice cream and a can of coke later and I'm ready for the final push.

Ended up on just over 106 miles, @13 rider also completing his ton (103 miles for him) That's half way through the imperial challenge for 2019.

Weather was perfect, very slight breeze but not too hot

https://www.strava.com/activities/2414315133

13 rider

Guru
It's Saturday ,1st of the month and the sun is shining :sun:must be time for an imperial ton for the monthly challenge . @Supersuperleeds had plotted the route for some more veloviewer squares around Lichfield . Out the door at 0600 a tad chilly but shorts and short sleeves but arm warmers to start with . A slightly extend ride to the meeting point (14m instead of 11.5m) of Market Bosworth . Just removing my arm warmers as @Supersuperleeds rolled in just the 2 of us today so soon on our way . Within 200 yards we both followed our normal route and head units bleeped away off route :banghead:. A quick detour and we're back on the plotted route . Familar roads heading out towards Lichfield we did go down the steep descent of Orton on the hill which was fun ^_^. Finally after 30 miles were into new square territory. We had to negotiate a big traffic island near the A5 ,M6 toll but being early it wasn't too bad .Got to the edge of Lichfield we went left 45 mins were later were back in Lichfield having done a loop . The terrain after leaving Lichfield the terrain became very rolling . But we were on some lovely quiet single track Lanes which made descending interesting . Made the cafe with 66 miles done to find @Lilliburlero waiting for us we were early but he was earlier :laugh:. A nice stop chatting and catching up so 3 of us now heading back . @Lilliburlero did 14 miles with us before turning for home . For most of those miles @Supersuperleeds was in the front cracking on not sure what they put in his coffee . Me and @Lilliburlero did get a nice tow though :rolleyes:. 25 miles to go now back to Bosworth . On the rolling road from Newton Burgoland to Bosworth we decided to chase down a rider in the distance as you do after 80 miles :laugh:. He proved a bit harder to catch than we thought but we caught him just before he turned off which we were glad of because we would have to have kept up the effort :whistle:. Back to Market Bosworth and had enough miles to take the short route home ,Newbold Vernon ,Desford just before Ratby we parted company .I noticed I was just on target for a sub 6 hour ton so the next 2 miles I pressed on literally as the odometer went into 3 figures the clock clicked to 6 hrs good timing :becool: .Slowed for the last 3 miles so 103 miles in total in 6hrs 14min in near perfect conditions in great company really enjoyed it . An month ticked off in the challenge thread .

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Up at 5am and out of the door for 6am. Arm warmers and woolly gloves in the back pocket, it's a little bit chilly and I did think about stopping and putting them on, but decided against it.

14 miles gentle ride out to Market Bosworth to meet @13 rider. I get to the meet and he is already there, so set straight off. Head off and immediately take a wrong turn, good start to the day :laugh: but quickly back on track. Took the easy way through Orton on the Hill and headed towards Lichfield.

Over the A38 and onto the A5127 towards a double roundabout serving the A5 and the M6, wasn't looking forward to this but we got through it with no hassle, wouldn't want to be anywhere near it at a rush hour though.

First diversion of the day back towards the A5 to grab a veloviewer square.

Head north and go through Lichfield, the bypass was a steady climb but okay traffic wise, out of Lichfield and immediately onto proper countryside back lanes.

It got lumpy at this point, for the next ten miles or so we were either heading up or down, mostly up, next to no flat whatsoever

We eventually started to descend and I made a right hash of things. I got to close to @13 rider and decided rather than braking I'd go by. I went way too fast and nearly came a cropper on the next bend, it gave me a right fright :cry: but I stayed upright and managed not to hit @13 rider

Before long we were in Curborough for the cafe stop to meet @Lilliburlero. He was already there, so a nice catch up over sausage sandwiches and coffee and we were off again

10 or so miles back on familiar roads and @Lilliburlero peels off to head home.

A bit of drafting behind a tractor gave us a brief rest before he pulled over to let us and a car by. We then spot another cyclist up ahead so we gave chase, took us a while to catch him as we went up and down the lumpy bits between Snarestone and Market Bosworth but we did ^_^

Thankfully he turned off just after we overtook him, I was a bit knackered. :rolleyes:

Back into Market Bosworth, then Desford and @13 rider turns to head home. I had one more climb to do, going through Kirby Muxloe up to the A47. Stopped at my favourite corner shop. The people who run it are so friendly. Ice cream and a can of coke later and I'm ready for the final push.

Ended up on just over 106 miles, @13 rider also completing his ton (103 miles for him) That's half way through the imperial challenge for 2019.

Weather was perfect, very slight breeze but not too hot

https://www.strava.com/activities/2414315133
You beat me to it :laugh:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Summer chest infection. What gives with those? Old enough and ugly enough to know that either a club run, 100km or 200km Audax was best scrapped this weekend.

Instead I had a roll of scaffold netting to take down to the school to keep the cats out the sandpit, so I did that. But the best thing was I went there on my tourer (Surly DT) I have spent months on my Audax bike, so this was a real treat for me. Is it possible to get such joy from such a cracking bike?

Deep love pervades. With just 13km on the clock. Just goes to show it doesn’t take massive rides to get decent quality ride time.

A85E991D-53E5-419B-93DF-0C471CC92EFA.jpeg

TigerT

Veteran
It’s a sunny and hot weekend here in Zürich. I hadn’t planned to go out today, but I’d just fitted different pedals to the commuting bike, it was sitting right next to the door, and I fancied an Ice Cream.

Sometimes the unplanned rides are the best ones. I headed out towards the airport and then on towards Bassersdorf. From there, I decided just to explore and ended up heading over to Effretikon.

This was a good place for an Ice Cream break! Lemon and Lime Cornetto today :-)

From here, I joined the route of one of my Sunday rides down through Wangen and back through Bassersdorf. I took a bit of a diversion at the airport heading around the perimeter for a while before cutting across to the back roads home.

46kms at an extremely leisurely pace today.

C2F44A69-7E6D-49CF-8F9F-C415F5DF1107.jpeg
The reward for the extra ride!
FE3FBD36-837A-4053-B8D4-95BD1A8CF914.jpeg
The map

Top Bottom