Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
John G, Jules H, Pete M and me today. Off out around Suckley made a change for us. It's unusually lumpy for the Saturday crew but there were no complaints. The cafe at Witley Court https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/witley-court-and-gardens/ did us some early orders. We visited the church again to show Pete and were lucky to be allowed into the crypt. An amazing old clock was ticking away slowly down there. Our homeward route was fairly flat and standard. Nice wee social one today. 43 smiles

Dave 123

Legendary Member
A late afternoon ride down to Gamlingay. It was chilly out there too!

It’s definitely starting to look autumnal, ploughed fields, hips and haws...

3C87B6AE-C050-436B-AFA2-B74C512CB10E.jpeg
6D423570-D2E7-4D3F-A37A-E0A58BF06618.jpeg
479BD4F3-44E9-4214-BFD5-0993FF1653DF.jpeg
C986777C-7138-4A7B-B20A-1F8A0C67C1BE.jpeg
70055CCF-A3F9-455A-819C-CBBF06E5A2C3.jpeg
18F0DC9E-4123-4B9F-B949-C729D374B6D9.jpeg

25 cold miles

https://www.strava.com/activities/2688140372

Mike_P

Guru
Friday was one of the rare for me working at home days, purely coincidental they seem to occur when it would otherwise be a wet commute to work:becool: but broken up by treating the ebiked hybrid to some new handlebar grips through a lunchtime 6.91 mile trip to Halfords and back.

Distinct northerly today so the Defy was headed north on the A61 to avoid steep climbs into a headwind, but nevertheless the section north from South Stainley was a bit of a slog to Wormald Green where I turned off to Markington and then via How Hill to Fountain West Gate.

At some point either on the upper part of the climb up from the West Gate, which reaches 16.2% according to Strava, or thereafter the front tyre picked up a needle like bit of metal and the P fairy made a visit:angry: Not my fastest change of an inner tube but eventually back on two inflated tyres for the decent through Studley Deer Park, albeit the Deer were well hidden.

Then direct from Ripon to Knaresborough and up Beryl Burton and along Bilton Lane. 30.15 miles and 1738ft climbed.
0709 route.png
0709 elevation.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
A lovely sunny day so I put on shorts, but had to ride quite hard to start with to try and get warmed up. I stopped at Yarrowford where the Selkirkshire Yarnbombers have been active.

IMG_20190907_141553[1].jpg

I carried on up Yarrowdale then turned south to climb the Berrybush, where I stopped for a snack and a photo looking back the way.

IMG_20190907_150639[1].jpg

This valley is Altrieve Lake, the same 19th century ordnance survey misspelling responsible for the Lake of Menteith, supposedly Scotland's only lake. (The word in both cases should be laich, a low lying boggy place.)

Back down Ettrickdale the yarnbombers had also been active in Ettrickbridge. Where is the 'your bike in front of a knitted heron' thread?

IMG_20190907_154521[1].jpg

And this bench represents everything that happens in Ettrickbridge. There's a knitted bike, an angler, canoeist, the phone box, pub, bridge, etc etc.

IMG_20190907_154402[1].jpg

44.3 miles @ 16.0 mph, 701 metres ascent.

Katherine

Guru
PSX_20190907_204036.jpg

I cycled 28 miles from the west of Manchester, through Manchester
PSX_20190907_204214.jpg

onto the Ashton Canal
PSX_20190907_204127.jpg

PSX_20190907_204156.jpg

and up to Failsworth where I picked up the route to Glossop that the wonderful @nickyboy created for me. It was indeed the best route there. All to visit my son in their new house. (we have already visited a few times by car).
Due to unexpected problems in the week I had left it until last night to plan the first half of my route. So I relyed on Google. I will try other options in the future.
I faffed about this morning tracing the route out to plot the return journey, charging lights, making snacks and drinks etc etc, so I was very late leaving, then I took my time on the way, checking some of the turns, stopping for photos and 'to admire the view'! - half way up the hills obviously.

PSX_20190907_204100.jpg

I enjoyed the route along the canal but there were plenty of people about on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon. I think most of them were heading for the Manchester Derby - ladies - at The Ethiad. I don't think I would have liked being on the canal for the return journey later when I would have been a bit isolated. Luckily my son wonderfully offered to bring me home.
I really enjoyed the route that nickyboy plotted for me, seeing new countyside and towns. Thank you!

I spotted this mural when I passed the cycling park near the velodrome and stopped to watch the kids for a few minutes.

C R

Guru
View attachment 484036

I cycled 28 miles from the west of Manchester, through Manchester
View attachment 484043

onto the Ashton Canal
View attachment 484045

View attachment 484046

and up to Failsworth where I picked up the route to Glossop that the wonderful @nickyboy created for me. It was indeed the best route there. All to visit my son in their new house. (we have already visited a few times by car).
Due to unexpected problems in the week I had left it until last night to plan the first half of my route. So I relyed on Google. I will try other options in the future.
I faffed about this morning tracing the route out to plot the return journey, charging lights, making snacks and drinks etc etc, so I was very late leaving, then I took my time on the way, checking some of the turns, stopping for photos and 'to admire the view'! - half way up the hills obviously.

View attachment 484044

I enjoyed the route along the canal but there were plenty of people about on a beautiful sunny Saturday afternoon. I think most of them were heading for the Manchester Derby - ladies - at The Ethiad. I don't think I would have liked being on the canal for the return journey later when I would have been a bit isolated. Luckily my son wonderfully offered to bring me home.
I really enjoyed the route that nickyboy plotted for me, seeing new countyside and towns. Thank you!

I spotted this mural when I passed the cycling park near the velodrome and stopped to watch the kids for a few minutes.

Lived in Hollingworth for a short while. Lovely part of the country. Really miss it.

Katherine

Guru
Lovely photo! Well, all of them, but that one especially!
Thank you

Yesterdays plan went awry because Beautiful Daughter woke up too early.

The Plan was to get up early and take the randonneur bike our for a longish test having finally (I think) got the headset to behave.

Unfortunately for this plan, Beautiful Daughter went and woke up before I did*, and decided she wanted to come too, so a 'test ride on the Rando bike' became 'Tour with Beautiful Daughter on the Xtracycle'.

Such is life.

We tried to learn map reading. Notice all important chocolate.

2019_09_07_Siebenmühlental_Caitlin_01.JPG

We followed a route I've written about before, and stopped for a picnic in a village, next to this church.

2019_09_07_Siebenmühlental_Caitlin_02.JPG

And then because we were only half way around the planned loop and time was passing, we cut the loop short and headed back over the hills. Thank goodness for low MTB gearing.

There's a castle over there. Honest.

2019_09_07_Siebenmühlental_Caitlin_03.JPG

Looking the other way, we can see our village in the distance. Unfortunately there's a valley in the way so it wasn't all downhill from here. Beautiful Daughter getting a bit tired**.

2019_09_07_Siebenmühlental_Caitlin_05.JPG

I can take the Randonneur out another day. Perhaps when is stops pishing it down...

After getting back to our village and fuelling up on chocolate, I went out again and returned some panniers we'd borrowed from friends, then came back and discovered I'd cycled 65km, 50 of them with Beautiful Daughter on the back, which probably explains why my legs are aching this morning...

*Read: I overslept...
**UPDATE: Beautiful Daughter wishes to make it clear that she was not in any way "tired" or even "Snoozy", but was in fact looking at an interesting bug on the road. I apologise for this error on my part.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Screenshot_20190908-095734.png
IMG_20190908_083549.jpg
IMG_20190908_083535.jpg
IMG_20190908_081319.jpg
IMG_20190908_081232.jpg
IMG_20190908_074647.jpg
Got up early for a ride out.
Super morning, perfect cycling weather.

Got a new fro t door to fit today so making the most of the day.

Usual peterborough landscapes..
Got a bit lost in some fields with signs missing.. But followed the sun to escape,.. About 20 miles, mostly off road.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Saturdays ride to Heybridge Basin. 5 of us set of at 9am, nice easy ride with no problems apart from a bit of wind. The roads were really quiet most of the times. all motorist's behaved themselves. Lovely bit of brunch when we got there, the tide was out as usual, Nice and easy on the way back as the girls where struggling a bit, something about the wind.:laugh: We all went back to one of my locals for a beer and chats, lovely day with great company, the biggest ever ride for one of the guys, he was well happy. A really nice route,
https://www.strava.com/activities/2688392918

hey 1.JPG
hey 2.JPG
hey 3.JPG
hey 4.JPG

Top Bottom