Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
That's a really sweet thing to do @colly :hugs:
I know....I'm a fecking saint me :angel::angel::angel:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
A nice autumn morning commute, 6.7 miles with an average of 16.8 mph.
I extended my afternoon commute out towards York, high river levels and lots of flooded fields then a road closed Flood sign at Rhyther, it would have been quite a detour to turn around, i could see the white lines so carried on, my feet were soon submerged in freezing water! Anyway got to the other side unscathed and cycled the last four or five miles with sodden feet. Just over 29 miles with an average of 14.3 mph.

Last edited:

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Did something today I haven't done for seven years; went on a club run. Just felt like having some company for a change so went down to Heighington to see if the Wednesday old gits ride was still going on. Very pleased to see it was and also very pleased to see the same old faces turning up. Just six of them but I knew them all and received a very gratifying welcome. Only 'one lap Bob' was missing, apparently busy in Manchester getting ready for the World Master's Track Championship.

The old gits are all now between 67 - 82. They've all raced and a couple of them are still racing so they took the Mick mercilessly out of my Audax bike with it's saddlebag and mudguards. They were all on carbon racing bikes with nary a mudguard between them.

As usual, there was a long discussion about where to go, complicated by one old git having forgotten his shoes and wanting to go home then meet us somewhere on route. Eventually we set off south through Walworth and Piercebridge to get into the lanes around Aldborough St. John. There was a blustery wind and heavy rain was forecast in the hills so we were sticking to the flat roads.

At Melsonby we noticed that the house where the post mistress was murdered is up for sale, wondering whether potential buyers would be made aware of this. A left turn there put the wind at our backs until Barton truck stop (World Heritage Site) where we swung south to Scorton. Just beyond the village are some tiny lanes that took us over to Streatlam where we got back onto some wider but still quiet roads up to Pepper Arden. It was here that the shoeless old git (now suitably shod) found us.

He was just in time for the cafe stop at Dalton Gates where we had a right good catch up. Serendipitously, the only shower of the day lashed the windows while we were inside.

Back out onto wet roads then, now heading north to Croft, Hurworth and Neasham where we tackled the only climb of the day. We regrouped at the top and rode into Middleton St. George together but I decided to split and go back to Heighington from there, leaving them to take the Aislaby road.

The ride back to Heighington was a bit of a slog into a lively headwind and I arrived back at the car having done exactly 50 miles.

1570637367329.png

Enjoyed it so much that I may even stump up my club subs and rejoin so that I can do a few more rides with the old gits.

pjd57

Veteran
Dodged showers all day, so anything else was a bonus.
Quick morning run to dentist then a visit to the mechanic , some leftovers from last week's bump.
Afternoon , down the canal to Bowling and back with a stop for a family visit in Clydebank.
26 miles, 25 of them dry

The_Weekend_Report_Guy

Pablo's Cycling Tours
My ride today?

Well since I was off from work I went back to my training program, today I had to do 3x4 climbing repeat series and complete the rest of the hour and a half ride at a moderate/slow pace.

Nothing special or amazing about it, training with a goal and following a program never is in my opinion. Why Do I do it? Simple, want to be faster up 2 o 3 local climbs where we compete with the local guys to see who is faster.

Would like to see what I am preparing for? Hold on.. I look it up:

Repetidor de Mijas, 5 km at 10%

And the other one would be:

Hotel of Tolox, 7 km at a liying 5%

And it I carry enough form and feel well enough:

Refujio del Juanar, 5 km at 5%

I will try to take at least a minute from each climb...

And this is why I do the not fun specific training.

:bicycle:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Jules H, Rich B and Neil Mac at the meet today. We took the standard run to Acton Green and the descent to Bishop's Frome. Rich and Neil parted here for their visit to the Hop Pocket. Jules and I climbed to Hegdon Hill where the views were good if a tad misty. Just the drop off to England's Gate and the cafe at the golf club. While we were there a heavy shower went through. Nice timing.
We took the steep little climb over to Marden and on to Withington. Today we headed by Larport to skirt the end of the Marcles. The wind was helping through Yarkhill and on to Bosbury. I opted to return over the Wyche Cutting whiles Jules aimed to go around the northern end of the Malverns. As I rode to the bottom of the climb Ruth and Pete M came the other way so I stopped for a brief chat. Tired legs dragged me over the Wyche. Enough today. 62 smiles and 4.1kfeet of up.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
A bit of a 'bread & butter' tandem ride for us today.

Set off in a very blustery wind to drop down through Chester le Street market place and then up to North Lodge where we got onto the C2C path. As usual we turned west into the wind and made our way slowly up to Annfield Plain, getting some shelter from the wind where the path runs through the old railway cuttings.

20191010_102344[1].jpg

Mrs. jg putting the finishing touches to one of her works at Pelton.

From Annfield Plain we took to the roads through Maiden Law, Burnhope and Holmeside. We hit 37mph heading down from Daisy Hill before Mrs. jg asked for the brakes but as we slalomed through Waldridge village I noticed we were still a touch over the speed limit. Whoops.

Felt a few drops of rain as we turned into our street so got the tandem straight into the garage having done 22 miles.

It started out so well...

Beautiful Daughter had a friend around yesterday. Beautiful Daughter is a source of great joy and delight in our lives, but other people's children are an entirely different matter. Besides, I'd dismantled one of the pedals on the Wayfarer and rebuilt it to stop it clicking so it needed a 'test ride'. Possibly not the best excuse, but it was that or be surrounded by high pitched voices for a couple of hours, and after several days of mucky weather, there was actually some blue sky visible. Only small amounts, but still, there wasn't too much rain, and not too cold, a bit windy.

I planned to follow a regular route; a sort of long rectangle around the city airport, and I stopped at the edge of the village to watch a few planes landing, and to make sure that on the long exposed stretch I'd be riding with a tailwind before I committed to a direction. The bike was riding nocely (and never mind that the back mudguard is still held on with cable ties), weather holding, and all was well with the world.

After the woods came a small town and then the first headwinds on the other side of the valley. This slowed progress, but of cause it meant that I'd have the wind behind me for the fifteen kilometres on the other side of the airport, so all was good, and the weather was dry.

Of course I should have realised this was a trap, as I left the main town on the other side of the valley for the long exposed section, and naturally almost exactly half way around the route an with the runway between me and our nice dry apartment, the rain began. Nothing too bad, just enough to let you know that it is there and could get a bit more serious if it felt like it, but not enough to make the roads wet and muddy...

Oh.

I'd forgotten that although our side of the valley is given over to arable and dairy farming but the other side is used for growing salads, vegetables and vast amounts of cabbage; I'd also forgotten that it's picking season so the farmers are driving their tractors around the fields with enthusiasm and bringing large amounts of 'field' onto the roadway.

There is a road under there, honest.

I knew that up ahead was a 'diversion' and this was going to be more of the same, if not worse, because there was a construction site there, and the agricultural roads flooded and carried several thousand tonnes of field run off with them, covering the road.

So after half an hour of mincing along trying not to slip over on the mud, I took a shortcut into the valley, fortunately along a descent on a road that isn't heavily used -which it has to be said did clean out my mudguards pretty well- and climbed the evil hill to our village.

Such is life.

On the other hand, the pedal emitted not a single click, so I'm not too annoyed by the afternoons riding, even though ten minutes after I'd got back, finished washing the bike in the drizzle and pushed in into the garage, the sun came out.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Another blue sky morning. How long can this continue? Not that I am complaining, this sort of thing makes it very easy to decide to go for a ride, the only question being where. Just go.
By the time I had reached Water Lane a route had bethunked, so the towpath at Office Lock was again used as the first stage of travelling across the river and up out of the valley to Lawnswood. Church Lane is the first set of lights after crossing the Ring Road, turn right there. Across Adel dam, not seen any signs locally but it is apparently an RSPB site, and turn left for a bit more upwards to pass Golden Acre Park. Down Kings Road to Bramhope and the A660, turn right. This stretch allowed the wind, no, breeze really, to be felt. Reaching the traffic lights for the turn down Pool Bank was good, and so was the descent. And then ride up the valley to Otley, with the breeze making the ride that bit slower.
Stopped by the maypole, needed the rest. A bite to eat, and a slurp and I am ready to continue. A look up the valley showed some black an ‘orrible clouds being blown this way. The intention had been to ride through Weston and Askwith to Denton Bridge. I am a wimp. A couple of left turns takes me to Gay Lane, which provides a wonderful view of the first rise in the road up the Chevin. It also bends left by the laundry onto the Leeds Road and that is the way I rode, as the rain started and the sunshine went out. The breeze was helping though. Back to the Dyneley Arms, straight on to Bramhope and the decision to turn right by the church.

This leads eventually to the water tower at Cookridge, other places as well of course. Today, before that tower the road passes a couple of ventilation shafts, a railway tunnel is below, and also the right turn that leads back to Otley. Pass the water tower though, and the downhill starts and today the rain becomes heavier. No matter, Headingley next and the right turn back to the river valley. Cross the river to the canal and a very quiet towpath ride back to Office Lock. There were some lunchtime joggers out, and a couple of other riders, the rain seems to have that effect. Leave Office Lock behind and wander through a bit of Hunslet to find Dewsbury Road and the final few streets to home. Thirty miles and the smile was anticipating being warm and dry again. Good ride as well.

Wheeltracks

10102019.jpg

Not exactly on topic, a friend sent me this

Touring Requisites.jpg

Mrs M

Guru
Day off work today so went for a 4 hour toddle.
16 degrees and a slight breeze, best day this week! :okay:
Most folks seemed to be in a good mood :smile: (especially the dog owners)
Stopped at the park for a coffee and met the lovely soft and fluffy Yogi, 9 month old Newfoundland (giant bear), my hand just disappeared into his thick fur! He was adorable, very obedient and posed for his pic to be taken.
Also met Leo, the retired greyhound. A stunning, very gentle boy :wub:
After my doggy fix I headed off intending to try out some trails but my head was in the clouds :wacko: and went way past by miles :blush: Met a lovely, friendly wee cat who was out exploring, she popped out of the long grass to say hello :smile: lots of cyclists too :okay:
Didn’t mind I’d missed my intended destination as today’s ride was very enjoyable and relaxing with lots of happy creatures about ^_^

Just out 'pottering' today, & taking a few various photographs

I was riding towards Castleford, along Whitwood Common Lane (A655). & came across this 'wheel-eater' outside the Rising Sun Inn
It's just before the traffic-lights, that form the junction with Whitwood Lane

View attachment 488032

I didn't hit it, just stood the bike in for a size comparison, during a traffic-free moment
I have no doubt, it would have had seriously consequences

Thankfully, for riders, it's too far out for a reasonably ridden bike
View attachment 488033

Reported, as soon as I got home, via https://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

It's practically at the end of the railings, in line with the 'sandwich board'
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1673346

I'll have a ride out that way, in the morning, to see if it's repaired

Top Bottom