Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
A lovely blue sky day albeit blowing a gale, but this did at least dry the roads out. This left today's main hazard, which was beechnuts and acorns.
I headed south west into the teeth of the wind then climbed up through Selkirk, sheltered by the buildings, then carried on climbing to today's summit. This was followed by over 10 miles of gradual downhill with a stiff tailwind. The low point is where the River Tweed is crossed, and I took a short off-road detour to take a picture of Mertoun Cauld. A cauld is a weir in the local vernacular.

There were salmon leaping, but none coincided with my attempts at a photo. Looking the other way towards Mertoun Bridge-

And speaking of bridges, the next stop has three for the price of one. And a roman ampitheatre in the foreground -

Today's map -

1570831881843.png

30 miles @ 15.5mph, 642m upwards.

gavgav

Guru
2 Months ago, you may remember that I broke my hand, playing cricket. After 2 long months of recovery and painful Physio, I finally felt able to try getting back on the bike today. I’ve missed it soooooo much!

Dug then bike out of the shed, pumped the tyres up and oiled the chain, then set off down to Meole Brace, where I was meeting Doug, the brother of @Rickshaw Phil. Phil was off on his century ride and so couldn’t join us.

It was a mild and surprisingly sunny morning, which was nice and we took a gentle pace through Porthill and down through The Quarry, which was heaving with runners who had just completed the Parkrun.

Our plan was to follow the river, through Castlefields, but upon reaching Greyfriars Bridge, we found the towpath gate shut, due to the river being so high and in flood.

So, we took a different route through Monkmoor, then along Sundorne Rd and along the old canal path to Uffington.
Out onto the road, there, to Upton Magna, where we stopped for our planned Hot Chocolate and cake, to break the ride up, at The Haughmond Village Cafe, which was very nice.

We had a good chat and then continued along the Pelham Rd, which was busier with traffic than I’ve ever seen it before, then out to Atcham and Chilton, which was muddy from where the River has been in the road, recently.

The main climbing of the ride followed and we paused at Betton, for a breather. Doug was feeling it, a bit, having not ridden much for the past couple of years.

The final stint was pleasant, along the quicker lanes and we parted ways at the junction for my house, with 17.2 miles on the clock for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed being back on the bike and best of all, the hand coped pretty well with the ride. Safety was fine, I could pull the brakes on and grip the handlebars ok, with just occasional aching and pain from rough surfaces.

Bring on more riding over the remainder of the year!

C R

Guru
2 Months ago, you may remember that I broke my hand, playing cricket. After 2 long months of recovery and painful Physio, I finally felt able to try getting back on the bike today. I’ve missed it soooooo much!

Dug then bike out of the shed, pumped the tyres up and oiled the chain, then set off down to Meole Brace, where I was meeting Doug, the brother of @Rickshaw Phil. Phil was off on his century ride and so couldn’t join us.

It was a mild and surprisingly sunny morning, which was nice and we took a gentle pace through Porthill and down through The Quarry, which was heaving with runners who had just completed the Parkrun.

Our plan was to follow the river, through Castlefields, but upon reaching Greyfriars Bridge, we found the towpath gate shut, due to the river being so high and in flood.

So, we took a different route through Monkmoor, then along Sundorne Rd and along the old canal path to Uffington.
Out onto the road, there, to Upton Magna, where we stopped for our planned Hot Chocolate and cake, to break the ride up, at The Haughmond Village Cafe, which was very nice.

View attachment 488750

View attachment 488751

We had a good chat and then continued along the Pelham Rd, which was busier with traffic than I’ve ever seen it before, then out to Atcham and Chilton, which was muddy from where the River has been in the road, recently.

The main climbing of the ride followed and we paused at Betton, for a breather. Doug was feeling it, a bit, having not ridden much for the past couple of years.

View attachment 488752

The final stint was pleasant, along the quicker lanes and we parted ways at the junction for my house, with 17.2 miles on the clock for me.

I thoroughly enjoyed being back on the bike and best of all, the hand coped pretty well with the ride. Safety was fine, I could pull the brakes on and grip the handlebars ok, with just occasional aching and pain from rough surfaces.

Welcome back.

Met up with a friend this morning for a leisurely spin around Charnwood. Nice and dry, not too much wind and not too cold.
Didn’t plan an exact route, did it largely on the fly but was conscious of a few stray VV squares that needed getting so I made sure today was the day in which to nab them. Met up with my mate around 11am and we set off through the familiar local lanes, nabbing the first square in the first couple of miles.
We pressed on into a housing estate in Loughborough to grab square number two and it was then on to Quorn, up and out the other side and a right turn around swithland reservoir for number 3.
Square grabs complete, we rolled into Swithland and did a little climbing up swithland road before cruising around Cropston Reservoir and into Anstey.
Climbing out of Anstey and into Newtown Linford where we stopped at a cafe on the outskirts of Bradgate Park.

Coffee and cake devoured, we had one more climb up sharpley hill and back to Beacon Hill crossroads, where my mate and I parted company. A little gentle climbing through Copt Oak, a nice drop and a flat mile to get home, 39 miles to the good.

(copied from MHCAM chatzone)

https://strava.app.link/RHMUavc9I0

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Tomorrow looks like being a complete wash out so out on the Tricross at lunchtime today. A lovely day and about 14 degrees in North Yorkshire.
Out from home to Cawood, through Wistow Lordship on the snakey little B roads, skirted the edge of Selby then headed back home.
A slight detour after Ulleskelf to take some pics of Kirkby Wharfe Church and the grounds of Grimston Park.
Just over 31 miles with a steady average of 15.3mph, great spin out.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out just after 8 this morning, without any real plan other than to see about getting another metric half in.

Up Coal Road, round the roadworks and onto Red Hall Lane, then the A58 and Whin Moor lane into Shadwell.
Up the hill to Slaid Hill lights and right, then left - seems that i was heading for Otley for the first time in over a year!

Over Harrogate Road and straight on for the climb to King Lane, then the ups and downs heading for Otley Road. With the forecast saying no rain at all today, you'll appreciate my surprise when I got caught in a shower climbing Arthington Lane. It soon passed and I was down the hill onto Otley Road.
Through Bramhope and then the lights on Pool Bank and the long descent into Otley, where it was raining again. Into the town and down across the river to Wharf Meadows park where I stopped for a nibble and a couple of pics by the weir:

More rain in the air and I didn't think my legs were up to climbing Farnley Hill today, so I retraced my route back over the river and through Otley the up the hill I'd enjoyed descending so much earlier. Nothing to do about it but choose a gear and pedal.
Through Bramhope and the reverse of my earlier route all the way to Slaid Hill, where needing miles, I added a loop via Tarn Lane to Scarcroft, then down to Shadwell before climbing to long hill up through the village and then onto Gateland Lane and back to the A58.
Onto Coal Road and still needing another mile or so, a long loop around before heading for home.

31.75 miles (51.09 km) in 2h 36m at an average of 12.2 mph with 1,640 ft climbed

Enjoyed some of that, but I remembered why I don't go to Otley very often, as for all it's charm there are simply too many motorised muppets on the way there and back. Seriously I must have been into double figures on close passes, with easily the same again in borderline ones. Don't get me wrong, most motorists played the game but that route and especially the A660 seems to have far more than it's fair share of idiots.
Lots of cyclists out though.

And to end, the map:

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Another lovely day here, sunny with a wee breeze :smile:
Decided to visit some woods I hadn’t been to before. Passed in the car but never investigated.
Got my google map and set off.
Even with the map I almost took a wrong road :eek: (as usual) :laugh:
Got there eventually, taking in some lovely views along the way.
Sun was bright so made sure I had the lights flashing and bright clothes. All drivers were courteous and patient though :okay:
The woods reminded me of my horse riding days and some of the time I thought I’d rather be on horseback or have a motor! :blush:
Soldiered on though, all good excercise :bicycle:
Met a nice couple walking their two dogs, also heard some kids and squeaking disc brakes but didn’t see anyone else. Lovely and peaceful and just a stones throw from the city.
I stopped at the monument that was erected to commemorate Price Albert’s visit to the area in September 1859. Some great views from there, (a bit high up though) :ohmy:
Had some fun and Selena got nice and muddy (like a proper MTB) :okay:
Freewheeled downhill towards the city then headed for home.
Another satisfying jaunt on a good day.
xx

13 rider

Guru

View attachment 488750

View attachment 488751

View attachment 488752

Glad to see back out and about , Hope the hand has healed

gavgav

Guru
Glad to see back out and about , Hope the hand has healed
Thanks. It’s getting there, some way to go yet, but progressing

Mike_P

Guru
Seemed a good day for the road bike until I looked it at lunchtime and realised it was in a serious need of a clean. Then remembered I needed to go to the storting office to collect a small parcel so a 6 mile trip for the ebiked hybrid. On the return braved a cycleway I had not used before and found it was well laid out and crossing roads were narrowed with a speed table at the point the cycleway crossed, if only they were all like that. Back home road bike washed then I noticed the chain had started rusting:sad:

Last edited:
Is it me or is it getting dark early? Lefy it a bit late tbh, so a short one out south of Chester not my usual route but no rain at least.
20191012_173544.jpg

Eccleston church, and some posh gates in front
20191012_173512.jpg

Nice victorian houses here, not been around for years but the place is proper Duke of Westminster estate (there never seems to be any shops?)
Back via Handbridge, Dee is in full flow thats for sure...

Chester weir i found out recently is Norman and Grade I listed.
18 miles and pretty much dark when i got in at 6.30pm....boo hoo:wacko:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm a bit late in posting last Sunday's ride 😄
Better late than never :blush:
I joined the British Cycling Breeze ride from Glasgow's Emirates sports centre to Strathclyde country park, a 22 mile route that somehow ended up in 36 miles for me by the time I got back home.
What a difference a big organization makes!
The Breeze group was had 8/9 riders, plus 3 ride leaders, while tomorrow on my Belles ride, 17 are signed up, only me and a back marker leading.
It was wet, very wet, a bit hilly, the mostly segregated route had many potholes: a new pedestrian/cycling bridge has been build to get to the park bypassing a busy road, but to get onto the bridge one needs to go through several unpaved back roads, then when you come off the bridge you must take a right turn mixing with the busy park traffic or ride a flooded pavement.
Excellent facilities ... not!
Some of us rode on to Hamilton's Chateleroux park, with hilarious results, here are the pictures :laugh:
Bypassing the flooded path between parks, we should have turned back ...

Scenic, but the river banks burst around the corner!

Made it across somehow:

A wee selfie in front of a murky river Clyde:

Chatelherault (Hamilton's park), there was an event on, climbing the hill then sliding down it:

On our way back, marveling at the crazy folks sliding down wet hills!

Strathclyde country park on a wet day, looks much nicer in summer:

Top Bottom