Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

13 rider

Guru
That climb was average 10% for just under 4/5ths of a mile. 416 feet of climbing
Max gradient 32.6% !! Simply nasty :evil:

C R

Guru
A combination of family commitments, bad weather and a cold meant I wasn't able to do any weekend rides since mid September. Finally today the stars alignment wax favourable and I managed a ride this morning.

I registered for the Tour of Worcester sportive that takes place next weekend, and wanted to try at least once going up Ankerdine hill before the actual event, and today was my only chance.

Out at my usual twenty to seven. Still completely dark, but not overly cold. Headed for the bridge between Diglis and Lower Wick, and then Powick and Collets Green for Bransford. The lanes were quiet, but had to be careful, as there were a few places with big puddles.

At Bransford I took the right for Alfrick, and by now there was starting to get lighter. This road is nice and quiet, but it is a succession of short ramps, which made it hard to get into a proper rhythm. I finally made it to the bottom of Ankerdine hill, and by now it was full daylight.

I took a break for a drink by the pedestrian bridge, and then headed for the hill. The climb is in all about a mile, with an average of 10%, but getting to 17% in places according to the road signs, much harder than anything I have attempted before. I took it easy from the beginning, and it does get very steep very quickly. I was soon in my lowest gear, and having to stand. After about half a mile I couldn't push any more, and had to take a rest. I carried on, and managed to get to the top, but with two additional stops. I think my average speed was of the order of 4mph, next time I will try to stop only twice.

After this there are still a couple of ramps before a swift descent into Martley, followed by another climb before another swift descent into Great Witley. By now the slight down hill towards the Severn was very welcome.

After Great Witley headed to the bridge at Holt Fleet, with a slight detour taking the quieter lanes to Shrawley, though this required yet another short climb to Holt Heath. The bridge over the Severn came quick, and stopped by the shop for another drink and a nut bar.

Once refreshed it was time to face the climb up to Ombersley, which was not as bad as I feared. Past Ombersley took the back lanes towards Fernhill Heath, then Claines and the cycle paths back to Diglis and home.

Just over 38 miles of a lot of up and down. It felt good being back on a long ride.

The map

Next week is my first sportive and my first go at a 50 mile ride. Watch this space for how it goes.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
After a dry day yesterday I knew today would be damp but decided to go out anyway. Now, don`t get me wrong, as much as I am not a great lover of rain whilst cycling I would sooner have the roads wet all over than damp with plenty of horrid mud, delivered by the farmers !
The light was`nt brilliant at 13:00 but could have been worse and decided on my Rattlesden and Felsham route and cut a bit off of it, that was a mistake as that is where I encounted the worst mud. The cool 14mph northerly wind did`nt help my spirits much but at least I was out on the bike.
I got close passed once (that`s enough) and decided that some motorists just don`t like cyclists. Why close pass when you can see ahead on the straight ? The other alternative is that they don`t know the width of their 4x4 or what ever it was, something big.
Getting back into Stowmarket I picked up the cycle path, which has become more dangerous than the road, let me explain. The cycle path runs alongside a footpath and you have pedestrians walking in the cycle lane, usually head down looking at their phones or pushing buggies or both. You also get people on bikes who can`t keep a straight line and who also may be looking at their phone. Also, after all the wet weather we have had, parts of the cycle lane have become slippery from the build up of damp / moss or whatever it is, at the points where you meet a road. Here you are more likely to come off and that is with slowing right down as well. It makes keeping to the road look a lot safer.
The ride was 23.2 miles at 17.2 mph average, I did`nt really enjoy it like yesterdays ride but got my yearly total to over 2900 miles. May be it will get drier again !

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I took advantage of good weather today , although I didn't have much time to spare, to do a 20kms ride. My highlight really was going up the Little Orme which is only 300 metres long but 8.6%. Those of you who do the Manchester-Llandudno ride will know it well, it is going up to the Welcome to Llandudno sign , on the road itself, not the cycle lane. My best time was 2'41 but today I smashed it : 2'20. A whole 20 seconds! I was quite pleased when I got home and would like to beat the 2 minutes barrier someday . I was on my Specialized Allez on 30-30 gearing. Maybe I will do it in the spring?

AndreaJ

Veteran
Yesterdays ride, having been busy with dog agility shows and training the last two weekends I made time for a longer ride on Sunday aiming for 50km. Despite the weather app lying to me and saying it wasn't raining and wasn't going to rain it was definitely raining when I left but it was still fairly mild. I started towards Northwood, Waterloo, Edstaston and onto the Whitchurch road heading for Wem where I turned to cross the railway line , past the cricket club and back onto lanes to Aston and Barkers Green coming back out the other side of Wem on the Shawbury road before turning back on to quiet lanes to Tilley, Nonely, Brandwood. Turned towards Myddle where I got caught up by 2 Audi's and a Porsche on a Sunday morning race although they did give me enough room as they flew past. Turned down the hill to Baschurch turning off at Marton back to Burlton where it stopped raining and even saw some sunshine and a rainbow, then headed towards Loppington but turned off to English Frankton at the first turn where I met another lady out on her bike so we had a chat for a couple of miles before I turned to Colemere, around the mere where I met some walkers on the nearly vertical canal bridge who very reluctantly gave me the bare minimum space they could to get up the bridge and past them and into Lyneal then back to Northwood past a pumpkin patch which looked very busy with people picking their own pumpkins and turned for home. Lots of mud and puddles about. 31.05 miles @ 15.1mph which according to fitbit is 49.72km which as I was aiming for 50km was a good guess but bothered me way more than it should as it was just short( and I had stopped the ride on both Fitbit and Strava so riding up the lane would have started a new ride rather than adding it up to 50) Lots of other cyclists out.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Milestone day today when my youngest was determined to have a bike ride with me along the guided busway. The plan was to ride and see how she did which in the end resulted in a ride just short of 12 miles along the guided busway and the NCN55 to Monton before the return leg along the Bridgewater Way and home. Not once did she say she was tired but just kept riding her little orange bike whilst i was on my trusty Boardman Fixie. She loved it and i hope she gets the bug even more,so proud of her considering her only riding involved playing out with her friends outside the house.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
My Mrs asked me if I could drop something off in Easterhouse this morning. 10 miles away , so it's a nice start to the morning .
Just about to leave when she said can you go to Drumchapel as well.
Totally opposite direction , so it was a bonus on a really nice morning.
A pleasant 36 miles, some on the road , the rest on the canal path
strava8182622783402256628.jpg

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
So, new mudguards fitted yesterday. Some faff was included but beaten in the end, except one minor bit of alignment I did not notice until just before the ride today. Adjusted in seconds, off I rode into a cool grey morning.
And quite a bit of traffic. I decided it was that time of year, pedalled through a bit of Holbeck to the towpath, no more traffic! Have to rejoin the roads though, cross the river and ride through Headingley all the way to Lawnswood, then a short distance further to the right turn to Adel. Pass the church, down the dip to the dam, up and on leaving all the houses behind. Still up to pass Golden Acre Park and for a change do not turn left for Bramhope but carry straight on to Arthington.

There was a ‘nasty expression’ car followed me all the way down that hill but after a couple of hundred yards I ignored it. This increased grin factor by a significant amount. At the bottom, the good old A659 is there to ride along to Pool. Turn right there, cross the River Wharfe and turn left towards Leathley then left again to cross Leathley Bridge and the River Washburn. Then start the climb to Farnley. From bridge to top, according to my garthing, is about 280 feet. This does not sound like a lot but my legs had a different opinion. The drop down the other side into Otley was fun though. Back across the Wharfe and wander through the town to the bottom of Leeds Road.
Climbing this, the sun had a brief visit and lit up Arthington Viaduct and its surroundings at just the right time for me to enjoy the sight. Little things do well. At the top I realised I had not eaten, stopped by the bus shelter there to rectify this matter then carried on. Into Bramhope, any thoughts of the right turn towards Cookridge were stopped by the diversion sign there. No through road says a lot, and also means the rest of the ride is on the A660. At least as far as Headingley and the detour through Kirkstall to cross the Aire and ride back to Leeds centre via the towpath. Again. A couple more miles from there and I am home after very nearly 32 miles. The smile said I should have ridden further, maybe next time.

I do like a map,

22102019.jpg

Top Bottom