Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
A late morning Boris approved bike ride today, again on the hybrid as the Defy needs a new gear cable and my spares all turned out to brake cables. Fitted the hybrid with a dual Garmin / GoPro support and my old GoPro unearthed as could not work out how to flip the image on the Lidl 4k, as the camera would be upside down, and whipped the speed sensor off the Defy.

North through Killinghall on the A61 where the number of cyclists appeared to notably exceed the passengers on the bus.

Took the Ripley by-pass for the first time since the Worlds Senior Mens time trail and again what a difference it was then, tents up and crowds partaking of drinks. Now just a forlorn tourist sign and far too many estate agents boards.

Turned off along the narrow lane to Nidd where for once the outline of the village church amongst the trees was readily evident to a camera.

Then pass Brearton to the B6165 and the northern end of Nidd where the entrance was nicely lined by daffodils.

It was now the Garmin finally shut down, it had spent the entire ride searching for satellites and in doing so had expired its battery. I know it was never good on clear blue sunny days for some odd reason but this was ridiculous. Looks like a Wahoo mount needed for the hybrid. Fortunately had got Starva recording on my mobile.

Back at Ripley largely followed the outbound route, was slightly concerned how quickly I was gaining on another cyclist on the climb away from Killinghall but any thoughts of trying to see if it was safe to pedal down the middle of the road were discarded as he turned off.
12.5 miles @ 12.3mph avg despite a mis-indexing Halfords 7 speed freewheel. Had it put on in an emergency need it for tomorrows commute last year and really needs replacing. Three lowest gears are fine but beyond that its game of chance. 677ft climbed

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What a superb spring day. I was a bit later than usual heading out today. No meet time with pals now. It's that time of year to resurrect some of the longer rides so I aimed at Acton Green. On the way up I met Martin S coming the other way. So we had a bit of a chat at distance. I think it's going to be like this for quite a while. Over the top at Acton Green it's a nice drop to Bishops Frome and the run to Burley Gate. Ocle Pychard is an interesting name. I crossed the two Hereford roads for Mordiford to cross the Wye then on downstream to cross again at Hoarwithy. Strangely the usual gaggle of swans were absent. It's a lovely run climbing away from the river to eventually top out on the Marcle ridge. Then it's a fairly standard run back made superb by plenty of wild daffodils still in bloom. 66 solo smiles

chriswoody

Legendary Member
My son was slowly going up the wall this afternoon bless him. Both kids have been dealing well with social isolation but it has been tough, so it was time for some forest bathing to decompress. We headed out next to the river towards a quiet section of forest that's criss-crossed with lots of tracks and my son led the way. Picking random tracks at will, criss-crossing this way and that and exploring. We had a great time in complete solitude just enjoying the peace and quiet before emerging next to the river and having a small snack on it's banks. Then we headed back to home, registering just over 12km's of blissful decompression.

gavgav

Guru
Headed out for an evening ride, after a real down day, yesterday, where I’d pretty much decided I wouldn’t ride until the restrictions were lifted, but a video chat with my boss today, where he said to me I should get out for my Mental Health’s sake, made me change my mind.

I avoided the Town as much as possible, by going straight out onto the A458 and then onto the, usually, quieter roads to Betton Abbots, Eaton Mascott, Berrington and Cound. Whilst there was virtually no traffic, I saw 10 cyclists in the first 3 miles and then on the narrowest lane, 10 runners!! All were meeting the rules, I.e maximum of 2’s but it made social distancing a little trickier than I thought it would be, on normally quiet lanes. Early dings of the bell, and I hung back until they’d moved to the side, before passing as wide as I could, meant we were just about ok.

Thankfully, after Cound, it widens out a bit, as I continued to Acton Burnell and then back along the, normally busy, but today only saw 1 car, road to Pitchford and Cantlop.

When getting back to Betton Abbots, a police van came from the Shrewsbury direction. He didn’t stop me to ask anything, though and so obviously wasn’t bothered at me being out, which made me feel a bit happier about it.

16.6 miles at 11.7mph avg. That’s going to be about my maximum distance for rides, until this is over.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
An enforced day off work - the boss phoned me yesterday and told me I was to work from home today as they'd instigated shift & roster changes in the light of the latest Goverment advice. No problem except as I've got no equipment for home working all I could do was be on call just in case. Therefore I couldn't go far from Felixstowe in the unlikely event I had to go in as an emergency so I just picked a local 20 mile loop of Levington, Nacton, Ipswich, Buckleshem & Falkenham and did it 3 times!
Screenshot_2020-03-25 Garmin Connect.png

oldwheels

Legendary Member
At long last got out for a run on the trike today. Took the car up to a small car park near Glengorm Castle on Mull and met no cars on the way out at 1000 and on the road which has a good surface passed one Glengorm car and one looking for parking to walk a nearby rough cycle track only suitable for mountain bikes. Chilly wind and the cattle herd had wandered down near the farm so no problems with them. They are peaceable highlanders but being so low down near them makes me nervous tho’ a bike is ok. Only did about 9 miles but this is my first trip out since Christmas so the hilly bits were a bit of a push. Going back home there were cars tucked into all sorts of strange places as people distanced themselves for exercise.

Old jon

Guru
A very bright one degree out there this morning, and the promise of warmer. Lets take the fixed out to play.

A neighbour was just returning from shopping as I was about to go, eight or ten feet apart we chatted for a bit. I was asked where I was going, or ‘did I just ride wherever?’ So I recited a list of places I intended to ride through, said farewell and went. Into the depths of Holbeck and realised the list was a ride I do every now and then. Just checked, January was the last time. So thought to ride it again. The first bit after escaping from Holbeck is through Hunslet and up to John o’ Gaunts, this being the start of a few different routes.

Turn left to head towards Woodlesford station and spin down the hill at the side of it. Left turn to cross the Aire and Calder Canal, and then the Aire itself before the first of two steps up into Swillington. The second of these usually has me breathing a bit hard, but seemed easier this morning. Reached the top, the road rises all the way through Swillington, and the day was so clear I could see the Hook Moor wind turbines high above Garforth’s roof lines. And after riding around the northern edge of Garforth, then passing Park House Farm, Hook Moor is next.

And on to the gates of Lotherton Hall. A left turn here, expecting a bit of a sideways shove from what had been a tailwind. Nope, a very calm morning, I might just have been pedalling well. A very short stop, drink only, I had forgotten owt else, and then ride through Aberford to Cattle Lane. Down a bit, fields both sides of the road now, then up a bit. Mostly level till the drop to cross Cock Beck and then up to Barwick. Did I mention all the riders? Singles and pairs just about all the way around, it was a bit unusual to see an empty stretch of road in front. Encouraging.

Scholes next, and I found that big bump on the bridge again. Must keep the eyes on the road. A bit of the A64 leads to Thorner Lane, and two more lanes to the A58. Where are the roads for the numbers in between? I dunno. Anyway, the quick twiddle down Boot Hill, pass the clock and downhill again to cross the river at the edge of town takes me to the street I live on. A smile for twenty nine sunny miles on quiet roads. Cannot ask for better.

A once familiar ride

26032020.jpg

Decided to add a north loop through Tavistock to see if I could top 10 miles today.
Just outside the PO and a VW Caddy slowly runs me down. Managed to not fall over, but rear wheel (,50 miles on it) out of true enough that I had to undo the V-brake to get it to turn. Paid me on the spot what I asked for a new wheel, and I trudged the 300m back home...
Total including walk home:0.73 miles, 1.9 mph avg, 21ft of up...
:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Top Bottom