Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
A tale of two bus shelters. My usual 41k loop through Norton in Hales, Market Drayton, Moreton Say and Ightfield. The bus shelter in Norton in Hales is a war memorial. Sadly, there are no buses nowadays. I usually stop in the children's playground in Ightfield, but there was a very stern note saying it was closed, so I sat in the bus shelter instead.
IMG_20200325_094451.jpg
IMG_20200325_094513.jpg
IMG_20200325_111014.jpg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The Fragrant Mrs P and I did another 2 X Birds 1 x Stone thing, to get something we could not get yesterday, a smidge under a 20 mile loop and apart from TFMP's minimal interaction with one person in a shop we had no contact with anyone what so ever. The only photos I took are with my Go-Pro whilst in motion, didn't want to hang about. Lovely weather, a little headwind on the way out, no dick heads in cars.

Mike_P

Guru
Another late morning Boris approved bike ride – same initial route as yesterdays and the hybrid now equipped with a working Garmin after resetting it so at least I can see how fast slow I am going. Turned west to Hampsthwaite where a local resident obviously aware of cyclists habits informed me from a distance that a village shop (actually the café but I presume its now a shop or takeaway) had made some freshly baked walnut cakes. Skipped on it due to my food allergy and headed onto the climb towards Clapham Green, where just as the road kicked up more

a change of gear saw me grind to a halt as the chain overshot but on turning the pedals by hand it promptly jumped back onto the cogs. So a brief walk to the lesser slope beyond and continued to find a mass of daffodils, bench, Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty sign and a direction sign with more arms than most.

Turned left then right and stopped to play with the rear derailleurs limit screws. An elderly couple on ebikes passed by and once I set off we seemed to have a game of wide passing cat and mouse–with the continuing climb they eventually won.Headed around Menwith Hill and across the A59 to turn east onto Penny Pot and the big mistake I had made hit me as there would be no really fast ride to up the average mph as their was a definite headwind which the nearest wind turbine at Knabbs Ridge windfarm all too clearly displayed.

Decided to avoid the country park and instead headed north down the long decent and then up the shorter northerly climb of the Oaker Banks to pick up the outbound route. Suspect on a lighter bike the northerly climb can properly be accomplished simply from the speed gained on the down grade but on the heavy hybrid the speed fell away seemingly quicker than applying the brakes.

15.98 miles @ 11.2mph avg with 982ft climbed

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Used my hour-and-a-bit exercise furlough a little later in the day today, heading out to Saul Marina and back by a slight variation on my usual route. Yesterday's exercise was a gentle stroll down to the banks of the Severn with Mrs Donger. We both agreed we'd never seen so many people out walking, even on bank holidays and summer weekends. Everyone has been behaving well though, keeping their distance as instructed. It was nice to head out at a quieter time of day though. Returning via the A38 has been a good move both times I've ridden since the lockdown, as I've not encountered a soul on that four mile stretch.

Today has been a good day for wildlife spotting, with a beautiful woodpecker visiting our fatball hanger in the garden, and an industrious little water vole spotted in a water-filled ditch in Saul on this evening's bike ride. A very pleasant 16 miler on my number two bike while I wait for my new pedals to arrive in the post for number one bike.
Stay safe everyone. Donger

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Another prescription ride. Some of the people I’ve delivered to are younger and fitter than me, but the pharmacy are flat out.... I’m doing it for them.
After the deliveries I went on an extended ride. I rode the reverse route to Darkie Hill. Going down was bloody steep, but at the bottom it was straight into 14% that didn’t really let up. Back via Membland and Bridgend.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3220688308

Attachments

• B9F39A82-6D32-405A-AA22-ACD284AA6F6D.jpeg
    B9F39A82-6D32-405A-AA22-ACD284AA6F6D.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 2

Gunk

Guru
My son and I rode into Oxford today and took the road bikes, first time I’ve ridden the BMC since I bought it in back in November, gelled with it instantly mainly because the 51cms frame fits me perfectly. The potholes on the Botley road ruined part of the ride but the ride along the tow path to the small park made up for it.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another pleasant evening dose of approved exercise, round the short Acton Burnell route again but the opposite way round for variety.

There were fewer people out and about as I started off this time, which could have been because it was a little chillier this evening but it might be that they are starting to feel more wary of going out.

Departing the village, the roads were noticably quieter despite me being out a little earlier than last time, but they weren't completely empty. On the way to Condover something flashed as I approached a van parked in a layby...... have I just had my picture taken and why?:scratch: I doubt it would have been a good picture from inside the cab as the flash would reflect off the windsceen. Ho, hum.

The rest of the ride was pretty straightforward. The afterglow of the sunset looked fabulous and gave a nice light that faded away into dusk as I went round the loop. There was one other cyclist at Pitchford then only a handful of cars and a crop sprayer on the way through Acton Burnell. From Longnor to Condover I had the road completely to myself and then only two vehicles passed between Condover and the A49 which could hardly be called busy itself. Nearing home there were very few people still out walking. I got back just in time to take part in the applause for the NHS which I'm pleased to say was taken up with enthusiasm round the village.

17.1 miles at 14 mph average.

Something I completely forgot to mention last time was the gears - the indexing on the RH lever had been intermittently not latching on the downshifts over the previous few rides and when I investigated it disappointingly appears to be a sealed unit. Since the only option seemed to be a new one I thought I couldn't lose anything by trying to dribble a bit of oil through the only gap I could see. Surprisingly it seems to have worked - it now clicks into every gear properly and the lever action is light and accurate like new. Pleased with that.^_^

Afterglow of the sunset from just outside Condover.

A snap at the crossroads near Longnor. I wonder if I have enough reflectives on the bike?:whistle:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Another prescription ride. Some of the people I’ve delivered to are younger and fitter than me, but the pharmacy are flat out.... I’m doing it for them.
After the deliveries I went on an extended ride. I rode the reverse route to Darkie Hill. Going down was bloody steep, but at the bottom it was straight into 14% that didn’t really let up. Back via Membland and Bridgend.
View attachment 510689

View attachment 510690

https://www.strava.com/activities/3220688308
How’d you go about getting the prescription delivery gig? Is that voluntary?

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
The weather spirits are being kind to us at the moment here in Cumbria and I took advantage of this bounty yesterday afternoon. Starting out in Penrith, I headed for Skelton via Newton Rigg and Unthank, passing a few more cyclists than usual on a weekday, not to mention walkers (hmm, maybe three dogs who all want to go in different directions at once is a few dogs too many🙃) and even a Hare as I climbed out of Greystoke towards Whitbarrow before turning left towards the A66 and left again towards Motherby. Lots of lambs in the fields, not all of whom were practising social distancing. The famous Herdwicks usually lamb a bit later-probably won't be seeing any Herdwick lambs for a little while. I observed some more interesting pedestrian behaviour on my way through the lanes back to Penrith via Flusco, Newbiggin and Hoghouse Hill-the woman standing in the middle of the road near Newbiggin listening to music on her phone was a particular highlight:wacko:. At least WCF Pet & Equestrian store in Penrith (an essential service in this part of the world) is still open, so all those lacking leads for their dogs can go and buy some! Lots of Daffodils out at the moment and not just the flowers either...

Top Bottom