Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Todays ride with the girls, 10 and 8, along the cut between Rotherham and Sheffield .... Cold Wind ......

JPBoothy

Veteran
View attachment 511185

This morning little potter
:eek: I thought the Guillotine had been banned! You must live in a high crime area or, is it like a big Mouse Trap for catching Graffiti Artists!

AndreaJ

Veteran
Still sunny here but much colder with the wind than it was in the week, I had been riding to work in shorts and short sleeves but had to resort to winter wear today. Set off to Northwood, got half a mile up the lane and noticed that I had forgotten my water bottle so turned round to get it and tried again. Into the wind to Whixall where there are signs by Dobsons Bridge asking people to avoid using the tow path, onto Fenns Bank, Alkington, Hollinswood, Coton, Abbeygreen, Waterloo, Edstaston, Poolhead, Foxholes,Ryebank, Creamore, Horton and back home. Saw a few other cyclists, walkers with and without dogs, 2 runners and a horse rider all easily passed with the required distance, less traffic than usual though. 21.97 miles in the cold wind.
9AADA69F-813D-4444-80B9-36D76109E6A0.jpeg

Picture from Fenns Bank.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Wow. I was overtaken today by two vans, a farm pickup towing a trailer and five cars. In 33 miles. :eek:

Having spent the week finishing the summer bikes winter rebuild I was hoping to take it out today, but this morning's trip for the sunday paper was on roads that resembled the Bonneville salt flats so rather than risk the prestine chain and sprockets I took the winter bike out again.

Closer to home the road was almost choked with walkers and BSOs but beyond that everything was deserted. It was only 4C when I set out so I only made one stop, trying (and failing) to get a shot of the distant Cheviot which has a very thin sprinkling of snow on it.

Today's map -

1585519332836.png

32.8 miles @ 13.8mph, 633m up.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Those infamous cold winds that are said to be rising in the North (the North remembers...) were definitely blowing today:cold:, in and around Cumbria. Also some of the local peds clearly haven't been eating enough fish...:whistle: Anyway I still had an enjoyable afternoon's ride from Penrith past the currently closed Cross Keys pub (sob!), dodging assorted peds before crossing over the River Eamont : woohoo, somebody remembered to put one of their dogs on a lead. Well done that man!:okay:
While wending my way through the lanes towards Great Strickland, I thought maybe I should have put on an extra baselayer-but as Johnny English would say "the mind must be master of the body". Anyway the climb out of the village towards the A6 always warms you up a bit, then there's a nice scenic stretch through Lowther Park towards the Lyevennet Valley and Askham. A valley...hmm that means a climb to get out of it. Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no river wide enough:music:!
After Askham...another climb! You're rewarded with some superb views though, especially while descending towards Pooley Bridge and Ullswater. No large Cappucinos at Granny D's today though, as it's currently shut. I'll have saved hundreds of pounds before too long though, especially with not going to the pub as well. But where will I find a blonde with 3 dragons?...
Then it was a nice easy few miles towards Stainton, with a couple more easy climbs which are avoidable, but then you have to get your kicks on the A66. No-me neither so I enjoyed some more easy miles through the lanes to meet the Greystoke Road and back into Penrith. I even escaped the infamous Penrith Pong today. Winner:okay:!

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I went and got the bike from the shed, I was seduced by the sunshine...

Down the hill to Bridgend, beautiful reflections

on through Noss and up the back lane to Worswell.

My fingers were freezing cold, I’d underdressed. The young heifers in the field had seen a skip lorry come by, so they were all near the fence looking. They gave me a good old once over

on up to Battisborough, I decided to go back home.
I was nearly in tears as my hands came back to life. Horrible.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3233892948

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I wasn’t in the mood today, just not feeling it but I found myself putting on the MTB gear dragging the Superfly out of the shed and heading off towards The Ridgway, no plan I thought I’d do about 8 miles and knock it on the head, it’s grey and cold but at least the wind had stopped.

After about 3 miles I saw a grassy bridle way I’d never been down before, so I checked it out and discovered it came out the other side of Rowstock, and across the usually busy main road another bridle way, I continued onwards and saw some pigs. I eventually found the main road again, just though I’d follow the wheels and if I saw a footpath or track or byway I’d take it.

So in the end broadly not straying too far that’s what I did and discovered some new tracks I hadn’t ridden before.

In the end I enjoyed the ride, and took some photos which I wasn’t planning to do.

13.57 miles
0 interactions with people.

tree fella’s

New tracks

A wooden owl

I short bit of Wooded single track that was fun I did it twice.

I’ve no idea why I took this photo.

A map.

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
"I've no idea why I took this photo"-you Sir, are deconstructing the paradigms of contemporary photography and I look forward to seeing your solo show at Tate Modern:okay:.

Old jon

Guru
Cool and grey out there this morning, but dry also. No excuses, go for a ride. Now!

Take the fixed for a ride around Holbeck, along Water Lane I remembered a route another rider, thank you @colly , had posted, so thought to try that. Water Lane was once a continuous road that finished almost at Leeds Bridge, these days ride around the back of Asda and behind the Red Lion is the stump of Water Lane. Cross Bridge End onto Dock Lane and eventually reach Crown Point Road and an approach to what was once Tatie Dock. Now called the Armouries . . .

Stick by the riverside, the path down this way has been cleared, widened and surfaced since the last time I rode along it. Four years ago or thereabouts. The Aire and Calder Navigation splits off from the river after a bit, a couple of bridges to traverse, one of which is fairly new. Further on the path crosses the river again, above the weir. Is this Knostrop Lock? Maybe. Thwaite’s Mill next, an occasional destination in my much younger days when they still made putty there. First working waterwheel I had seen, fascinating it was. A bit further on there is the awkward road bridge. It has to be crossed and the north side provides a flight of steps to do this. It does not make it easy though.

River to the left, canal to the right, path as before. Lots of duck around, easy riding. There is a large road bridge to ride under, then peaceful stuff again. Fishpond Lock, cross the canal, Woodlesford Lock next, I pass this often on the road and at a distance. Stay on the towpath, Lemonroyd Lock, the marina here is bigger than memory tells me. Just below here there is a choice, I turned left and rode to Mickletown and a munch stop. Decision time, return on the road. Less peaceful, more effort needed and that might help the circulation, a bit cold out there. Usually ridden in the other direction, the A639 is a quiet road this morning, with a headwind. After leaving Mickletown, on the far side of the road are wide open spaces for the most part, until Oulton is reached and the road climbs, for the only time this journey, to John o’ Gaunts.

From the top of there, what goes up, must descend. There’s a bit of a view over Leeds though the riding is complicated enough with lights and sliproads and roundabouts to negotiate, modern times. A left turn to reach Hunslet Parish Church, fenced off and not used as anything now, then a few more streets reaches the one I live on. Only eighteen miles, but a less than usual ride for me, certainly enough to smile about.

Different

30032020.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A quick run around my Acton Burnell loop this time after the pronouncements of the weekend that we should only be out for about an hour. The fact it is still cold and windy was another incentive to not be out too long.

I knew I had a good tailwind when the speed wound up to 26 mph on leaving the village. 21 would be good going on a normal day on the knockabout bike. I kept a decent speed up through Condover until starting the climb to Cantlop where I had a crosswind instead. After Cantlop I picked up the tailwind again which helped things along and seeing 15 while on the long gentle climb to Acton Burnell was very nice.

Eventually at Longnor I had to turn back into the wind which slowed things down, however doing the ride in this direction means that it's slightly downhill most of the way back to Condover so although I was slower I wasn't slow per se.

17.1 miles at 14.2 mph average. There was more traffic about than I've seen on the last few rides but still not quite as busy as normal. Just four other cyclists and I'd estimate about 25 people walking.

I didn't stop for photos this time.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Ran out of eggs today so elected to try the local corner shop. I always try to get my eggs from them anyway since they're locally-sourced and I like to support the place if I can as they've already had to down-size after Waitrose opened up 300yd down the road. Additional apocalypse-specific reasons being that they've had stock in the past when the supermarket hasn't and I figured there was less chance of any contageon dealing with one person than floating around a whole supermarket full of them.

Upon arrival the sight of stacked boxes of eggs taunted me from behind the window of the closed shop. According to their website they should be open so I'm wondering if maybe they're shut because they're self-isolating :sad:

Next I tried a farm shop up the road I'd found on google, however many closed gates and signage that offered absolutely zero encouragement to continue down the farm tracks led me to the conclusion that maybe the shop didn't, in fact exist. Dafuq am I going to have for breakfast tomorrow? :sad:

Disheartened I wondered on aimlessly and found myself heading towards a local nature park. By this time spots of rain had begun falling to complement the bitterly cold north-easterly wind, but the sky suggested they probably wouldn't hang around long so I carried on; slightly enthused by the fact that at least the rain smelled springy - even if the rest of the weather still smacked decidedly of winter.

The bike's off-road credentials are infinitely improved since the hateful solid tyres were replaced with a pair of semi-slicks thanks the the generosity of @figbat (via a convoluted path of new tyres that refused to stay on the rims).

I think the addition of this 47mm wide rubber qualifies this badboy for full-on MTB bike status now; added to its slack head angle, single chainring, distinct lack of rim brakes and "dropper" seatpost ;)

Maybe I don't need that new gravel bike after all!

Image059.jpg

Maybe 20 minutes was spent "shredding the trails"; grinning like a child at the low-budget rollercoaster ride provided by the undulating, hard-packed mud path, before I made my way back into town.

St. Giles was dead save for the odd van or bus; very bizarre for a Monday lunchtime!

Please excuse the quality of the images; being courtesy of my immortal 13yr-old potato phone..

Image061.jpg

After this shot was taken I took a somewhat convoluted route back home to muse on tomorrow's limited breakfast choices.. perhaps I'll try the corner shop again in the morning.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I also saw a stoat or weasil (not sure which) crossing the road at a fair rate of knots..

Last edited:
Top Bottom