Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This mornings ride was eventful!
Last time I fell off was in York around 2003.
So, its my birthday, and I fell off.
No harm done, wrist hurts a bit though, so heres the culprit...

Somewhere between Shocklach and Bangor-on-Dee, Conti 32c's hit their limit and thorn bush awaited to collect me.
Stopped off at St. Ediths Norman church, no pic as half my photos won't load (whats going on today?)
Down to Bangor, lovely weather and a pleasure to be out once I had removed remainder of said thorns from shorts!

Awful lot of cyclists out and about I will do this patch a bit more I think, some stunning countryside on the Dee borders.

31.6 miles in total. Being treated to lunch in a bit, so i will say ta ta and enjoy the rides :okay:

Gunk

Guru
Put the bikes on the roof and did the Phoenix trail with my son today, nice easy flat off road route between Thame and Princess Risborough.

grabbed a sandwich and played some football in the park. A nice morning.

Old jon

Guru
There were patches of blue sky around this morning, just enough to enthuse me a lot. And then the music laptop decided it had to update its operating system. Linux, and it took half an hour. Thirty whole minutes of frustrated waiting. And then I could, and did, ride away on the fixed.

I have not ridden along the towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool canal for ohh, about ten days. So ride away from the Leeds end but only as far as Viaduct Road. Down that and start the long grind up to cross the Ring Road at Lawnswood. This is not steep, but it nags on for about three miles. The relief when passing the crest is amazing. And then I turned right, crossed Adel Dam and rode up the eastern side of Golden Acre Park.

Then descent is the way. Kings Road to Bramhope. The road works there seem to have improved things a bit, finishing touches yet to happen. Along to the Dyneley Arms and spin madly down Pool Bank, this is all familiar of course. Finding different routes, nah, maybe the occasional lane here and there. So, a not unusual banana at the maypoles in Otley, followed by the climb up Leeds Road. I am a bit quicker up this than I used to be but still was passed three times before the Dyneley was in sight again.

At the bottom of the drop past the Puritan chapel I briefly considered turning right to ride across Bramhope Moor. Just did not fancy that sharp rise past the church. Difficult enough with gears, wimp that I am. So carry on along the A660 until the Lawnswood roundabout is reached again, and turn right there, wanting a couple more miles on the trip. Left at the next roundabout to reach the Hawksworth Road and eventually Abbey Road. Turn left and pretty soon right, I am going to cross the railway line at the station and ride on back to the towpath again.

All the way to the Leeds end of the canal. Busier than earlier, of course, but much better than traffic. A slightly extended trip through Hunslet, roadworks, and the last leg home. Thirty two and a half miles, just over 1500 feet. And a grin.

And just a map . . .

06092020.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been offline for over a week so some catching up to do:

Last Sunday: I'd replaced the bottom bracket on the Raleigh (after 8 years almost to the day and nearly 12,000 miles) so a test ride was called for. I headed out on one of my longer regular routes: Condover, Cross Houses, Upton Magna, Walcot, Cressage, Acton Burnell, Longnor and back. The new bottom bracket was nice and smooth as you'd expect and the fitting had gone so easily I wondered what I'd done wrong :unsure: - I discovered that near Berrington when the chain over-shifted as I'd forgotten to readjust the front derailleur.

The rest of the ride went very well and without incident which was nice. I passed a few cyclists out and about but not very many of the more casual riders. I said hi to one guy and realised when he responded that he looked and sounded like Worzel Gummidge in cycling kit.:laugh:

34.4 miles on this one at 15.9 mph.

Bank Holiday Monday: As @gavgav already wrote up his report for this I can't really add a lot to it. I was pleased to fulfil the brief I was given for planning the ride (Gav said he'd like to do just over 40 miles), although we did wing it a bit in a couple of places. By the time I got back my mileage for the trip was 45.6.

On the old bridge at Atcham.

At our elevenses stop.

Crossing the A5. Covid or not, the trek home from the coast was as slow as ever.

Off to write up something a little more recent now....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
After a pootle yesterday with Mrs F on my best road bike (that I've not ridden for 5 years), I took it out for a 19 miler this morning. Christ All Mighty it's flipping fast. Having spent most of my riding on the MTB and away from roads since my back got broken badly by a stupid driver, I've stayed away. I was on quiet roads in North Wales though, not subburbs of South and East Manchester. It was 20 minutes quicker over the same circuit. Did feel like my arms were chopped off as the bars are about half the width of the MTB. I also feel as I've been on a stretching rack.

The bike is 30 years old, but it's so smooth - can't beat old Dura Ace 7400 on a steel frame.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yesterday's ride:

Time for another ride to add towards the Lunacy Challenge. With six to do and four months remaining I need to get a move on so made the most of a dry day. After looking at the wind forecast, the route I chose to ride was mostly the same as my last challenge ride but with a couple of small variations. I set out on the Raleigh into a cool morning and headed for Condover to start with, then carried on south to Gonsall where I turned towards Stapleton (and an easier crossing of the A49), Exford's Green, Plealey, Pontesbury, Minsterley and Westbury. The wind hadn't picked up too much yet so it was fairly easy to ride into at this stage. There were quite a few cyclists out and I got overtaken a few times by quicker riders. I thought it boded well for seeing lots of people out later.

At Westbury I felt that the saddle position still wasn't quite there so on the section through Halfway House, Prince's Oak, Crew Green and Melverley there were a few stops for tweaks, though none of them was really satisfactory and I ended up with it almost back to where it started. I had my first snack stop just after Melverley then carried on towards Maesbrook, taking the back roads through Morton and Ball then joining the busier road into Oswestry. I got into town fine but found more than the usual share of bad driving through the centre. It made me quite glad to get onto the quieter road past the ancient hill fort.

Reaching Gobowen I got held up by the level crossing (a goods train rather than the usual DMU) and found the temporary lights on the other side of town are still there but at least the timing seems to have been properly adjusted now. I expected the NCN route to Ellesmere to be muddy and it was but I have seen it much worse than that. As before, I skirted round the edge of Ellesmere and headed out towards Coptiviney and Welshampton. I wasn't as swift using the Raleigh as I was on the Dawes (although working against the headwind earlier wouldn't have helped) so my elevenses stop was taken on this section rather than a few miles down the road. The road outside Stocks Farm turned out to be a lot less mucky than I'd feared and on the flatter roads from Welshampton I was able to make much more of what was now a tailwind.

With that wind behind me I was getting some good cruising speeds up but got baulked at Northwood by more temporary traffic lights. Coming up behind a car already at the lights I waited... and waited....then a van came up behind and after waiting a moment, overtook with the driver calling out that the lights weren't working. I relayed this to the driver in front and we agreed to risk going through. Sure enough, the lights the other end were stuck on red too with traffic queueing.

After that it was nice to be blown along the flat roads through Dobson's Bridge and Whixall with a few mph more than I'd usually manage consistently showing on the clock. I saw a recumbent trike on joining the B5476 and the good run continued to Prees where the hill out of town slowed things down a lot as it usually does. On the way to Ightfield a creak started to irritate me. I thought initially it was coming from the handlebar area but couldn't seem to pin it down when I stopped to check. The extra miles at the start of the ride meant the metric century was passed before Ightfield this time and the wind continued to help after Calverhall on my way to Longslow, including a nice bit of descent where I got over 31mph.^_^

I took my lunch break in a sheltered gateway at Longslow. Although the day was quite warm, the wind was cold so I was glad not to be standing around exposed to it. While here I investigated to see if the seatpost might be the source of the creak - while doing so I accidentally dropped the seat and had to set up the height again.:blush: It did fix the creak though and I got on better with the riding position afterwards. Contrary to my expectations I'd only seen a handful of cyclists after the rush early on in the ride - Market Drayton bucked the trend with about a dozen passing me during my lunch break and plenty in the town itself. I had enough miles in hand to take a shortcut here but decided not to so completed the loop round the town centre and away past the golf club.

The forecast had showed the wind shifting through the day to become more of a north-north-westerly, which would have carried on helping. Unfortunately it didn't seem to do that so I had a cross wind or a headwind on the way through Stoke-on-Tern, Ollerton, Eaton-upon-Tern and Ellerdine Heath. I started to flag around here and did toy with the idea of heading through High Ercall and seeing if I would be allowed through the bridge closure. It would have been a pain having to come back uphill then into the wind if I wasn't allowed though so I stuck with the diversion through Poynton Green and Roden. I could afford to cut the corner and avoid Withington so I did that - this lane was nice and quiet apart from a group of cyclists but a bit more of a climb than I remember.

The wind seemed to be in my face most of the way from Upton Magna and was particularly bad on the way in to Condover where one gust almost stopped me in my tracks. A small consolation was that it was a crosswind on the run up to the A49 so I could at least finish with a bit of speed on this stretch.

Not as quick as I did it on the Galaxy last time and harder work towards the end than I'd hoped but another century completed without the legs cramping up. The saddle was comfortable up to about 80 miles and bearable after that (unlike some of the rides earlier in the year).

105.51 miles at 13.9 mph average. Total time including stops was approx 9 hours 30 minutes. That'll do.:okay:

Photos were just grabbed as and when I stopped so apologies for views you may have seen before:

Near Stapleton early on. It looks lovely but there is a bit of an autumn chill in the air.

Crossing the Severn back into England at Crew Green.

The view of the Briedden from my first snack stop.

Drink stop just after Oswestry with the ancient hill fort in the background.

Old railway bridge just after Ellesmere makes a good point for an elevenses stop.

Calverhall (went slightly out of my way for this one as my turning is about 100 yards behind the camera)

Market Drayton.

The elephant grass crop keeps coming back and flourishing at Sutton.

Nice to see customers back in the garden at the Mytton and Mermaid in Atcham.

View from my last snack stop on the way back to Condover.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Not had time to add rotes since we got the e-assist tandem... 85 miles on it so far!

1st ride out to Whitley Bay for a bacon butty and the first proper coffee since lockdown! 36 miles on the NCR 10 to the coast and back/// might have already posted this but can't remember!

Today's ride, our first with "The Tandem Club NE" group- started at Matfen we rode down the Ryals then up to Chollerton- Wark for a coffee/ sandwich stop at the Grey Bull- then up to Birtley, over the moor to Ingoe, then back down to Matfen. 36.3 miles and over 2800ft of up! No time for photos but there was a group one in the rain on the bridge at Wark, which I might be able to add later! Tired now but got back to Matfen with over half the battery and 52 miles of assist left!

[Edit: Helen sent me the attached photo of us looking a bit damp!]

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3a90.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3a90.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
A rapid turnaround needed to get back for the first junior football match post lockdown and maximum hills to prepare for a possible Fred Whitton attempt under planning in a couple of weeks.

So, first up the cobbles of Swiss Hill, then Macclesfield Forest for the brutal climb of Charity Lane. Legs now done for, struggle up the the Cat & Fiddle the steep way and on over Axe Edge. Kestrels a-plenty on the moors this year up here.

Now, a new road to me, the back way signposted Brandside parallel to the main Axe Edge Road. Turns out it's steep...

Onwards through Flash, and have to overtake a frustratingly slow Sunday driver on the descent. I have in mind to climb a small gated road I've not been up for ages, but am delayed at the turn off by the first puncture on the new bike. Happily the offending sharp is easily found, though the tyre is *very* unwilling to be refitted, something the vendor warned me of, apparently "tubeless ready" rims make for tight to refit tyres.

The gated road is tough and rough...

but I do love these wild places.

Last climb is up to the old Hanging Gate pub, then a rapid descent to Macc is followed by a soaking on the way home, the weather otherwise being excellent and much better than forecast.

70k, 1400m climbing and most enervating.

Oh, and youngest scored one in a 4-0 win too ^_^

KingswayRider

Über Member
Decided to recce the club ride I can't make next week...before this weeks club ride.
6.30am start & a ride out through Longney & Epney, down to Frampton & then Cambridge, with a little detour off the A38 down a quiet lane. A brief spell on the A38 again to turn off to Gossington, then through to Berkeley. A dash across the A38 & towards Upper Wick, before turning towards Stinchcombe. Up & through to reach the cafe stop at Dursley (obviously closed), then down a little lane to run into Cam. Head down to get through to Frocester, Eastington & Whitminster & back into Kingsway. All big ring & 2hrs 17mins to cover the 39 miles at a steady 17mph. @Donger & @Dark46 - hope you're both out next week.
The club ride started with a run out to Upton St Leonards, before the climbing started. Up Nuthill, then up to Cranham & Buckholt Wood. Majority of climbing done, we made our way across the hilltop on some nice little lanes in the sunshine before some steep ups & downs around Oakridge into Chalford (descents were narrow, twisty, covered in gravel & pothole ridden). A long wait to be served at the Felt Cafe, then plod back to Kingsway. Finished up with 80 miles & 1272m ascent.

AndreaJ

Veteran
It was unexpectedly warm this morning and a route was needed which would hopefully avoid getting caught up in the Ellesmere triathlon, I had noticed a few signs last week warning of delays but couldn’t quite work out where they would be going so headed out in the opposite direction. Started off up towards The Moatshed then turned down towards Whixall, Waterloo through Edstaston to the Whitchurch road and into Wem, carried on through Wem to Tilley, Nonely, Myddle down Lower Road to Merrington past the woods to Old Woods, Eyton and into Baschurch past the schools. Took the lane to Stanwardine, Bagley, Lee past Whitemere where there were lots of people sailing today, up to Colemere taking a different route to Lyneal, Northwood where the traffic lights were actually working today and back home. Lovely warm day and hardly any wind, lots of cyclists out including quite a few children. 35.8miles @15.8mph and first challenge ride done for September.
Picture of the woods between Merrington and Old Woods.
1F2784A2-EDD8-458A-A239-83E91150351F.jpeg

C R

Guru
Yesterday's ride

I finally took the plunge and got myself spd pedals and shoes. I practiced a bit in our street, and didn't feel particularly insecure about unclipping, so I went out with the new system. As I didn't know if I would get on with the system I got cheap single sided pedals and shoes from decathlon. The shoes are very comfortable, but the pedal bearings were too tight, so had to adjust them.

Out at 6:30, with the temperature now considerably cooler than the last few weeks, so wearing full autumn garb.

Headed out through Kempsey, and feeling comfortable with the spds, not a lot of difference with the clips, but I noticed I was finding it easier to spin, which helps my right knee. The road was quiet, and I got to the Kerswell Green turn without seeing any cars.

Nothing much to remark going through Kerswell Green or Kinnersley, other than the short hill before Kinnersley felt easier than before, but that's probably just my imagination.

Next was Earls Croome, and then through Upton heading for Longdon. There were a couple of runners and one or two cyclists out, but looks like most sensible people were still in bed, leaving the road to us lunatics.

My legs were feeling a bit heavy, probably still coming to terms with the 300+ miles of last month, so I was taking it a bit easier, and the spds were definitely helping with spinning a gear lower than I would normally use. So I got to the Mythe bridge needing a bit of a rest, and stopped for a nut bar, a drink and a couple of photos
IMG_20200906_074454028_HDR.jpg

Once rested the next destination is Tewkesbury, which is just about waking up, but I turn left for Bredon without actually entering the town. There are now a few more cyclists, but they are all going the other way, maybe they know something I don't.

After Bredon starts the gradual ramp to Overbury, which I take leasurely, and then the quick descent to Beckford, where I take another rest, before heading for the last bit of up for the day, through Ashton Under Hill and up to Kersoe, followed by a swift(ish) descent through Elmley Castle and onto Pershore.

Final stop by the old bridge, and then a slow trundle up Holloway, Wadborough and home.

Happy with the spds, very comfortable shoes, but the pedals will probably need changing soonish for something a bit better quality.

The map
IMG_20200907_113744.jpg

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday's ride

I finally took the plunge and got myself spd pedals and shoes. I practiced a bit in our street, and didn't feel particularly insecure about unclipping, so I went out with the new system. As I didn't know if I would get on with the system I got cheap single sided pedals and shoes from decathlon. The shoes are very comfortable, but the pedal bearings were too tight, so had to adjust them.

Out at 6:30, with the temperature now considerably cooler than the last few weeks, so wearing full autumn garb.

Headed out through Kempsey, and feeling comfortable with the spds, not a lot of difference with the clips, but I noticed I was finding it easier to spin, which helps my right knee. The road was quiet, and I got to the Kerswell Green turn without seeing any cars.

Nothing much to remark going through Kerswell Green or Kinnersley, other than the short hill before Kinnersley felt easier than before, but that's probably just my imagination.

Next was Earls Croome, and then through Upton heading for Longdon. There were a couple of runners and one or two cyclists out, but looks like most sensible people were still in bed, leaving the road to us lunatics.

My legs were feeling a bit heavy, probably still coming to terms with the 300+ miles of last month, so I was taking it a bit easier, and the spds were definitely helping with spinning a gear lower than I would normally use. So I got to the Mythe bridge needing a bit of a rest, and stopped for a nut bar, a drink and a couple of photos
View attachment 545910

Once rested the next destination is Tewkesbury, which is just about waking up, but I turn left for Bredon without actually entering the town. There are now a few more cyclists, but they are all going the other way, maybe they know something I don't.

After Bredon starts the gradual ramp to Overbury, which I take leasurely, and then the quick descent to Beckford, where I take another rest, before heading for the last bit of up for the day, through Ashton Under Hill and up to Kersoe, followed by a swift(ish) descent through Elmley Castle and onto Pershore.

Final stop by the old bridge, and then a slow trundle up Holloway, Wadborough and home.

Happy with the spds, very comfortable shoes, but the pedals will probably need changing soonish for something a bit better quality.

The map
View attachment 545917
At our house, we all use Shimano M520 SPD pedals. Never had an issue and we love them (except my wife who refuses to try clipless).

Top Bottom