Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
10 mile ride on the ebike to Morrisons and back late morning in a futile attempt to get an item I did not pack, but paid for, last time I was there either supplied or refunded. Outbound via the full length of Bilton Lane was PR less while the return via the full length of the old railway from Starbeck and then the suburban only section of Bilton Lane which did produce a PR or two despite getting held up by parked cars and lockdown traffic.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Well I finally got to Bittaford to ride on the southern edge of Dartmoor.... after half a mile it was thick fog!

The marker stone is 7 miles away, so it was through the gloomy, barren moor without a view.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4301314760

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Mrs 26 and I arranged to meet a friend. All with Lockdown 2 rules in mind. So naturally we turned it into a bike ride. Bright sunny windless day was a good start. We stopped at Hillend and sat on the logs there. The view was good but haze limited our range. Onward we rounded the southern end of the Hills at Bromsberrow for a short pause at the ford at Clencher's Mill. Then a proper stop at Eastnor Church for an apple munch. Thence to Colwall and our meet up. All too soon it was time to part so just the climb up and over the Wyche cutting to complete a pleasant outing. 31 smiles

chriswoody

Legendary Member
My son had a meeting today with a friend who lives in a small village on the edge of our town, so we set off together on our bikes. 4 Kilometres across fields and gravel tracks to my sons friend.

With my son dropped off, I turned off onto a gravel road that cuts between the fields and woods to bring me out onto the country lanes that I normally use to access the large section of forest to the North of us. The woods are teeming with foragers at the moment, looking for the plentiful mushrooms that are growing on the forest floor and one day I will get round to learning the difference between the species.

The sun is low in the cloudless sky bathing the wood in light, most of the trees are now leafless but the bark of the birch trees glows silver and the few leaves around are vibrant yellow and gold. The ground under my tires is mostly dry and dusty and as we go further North it becomes ever more sandy.

I hit one particular soft patch of sand at speed and the bike goes sideways until I can bring it back under control, all good harmless fun. As I get into Wildech, I turn around and catch a track heading South, after a short while it turns into a fun patch of singletrack winding it's way between the trees and providing lots of fun and challenge.

The forest here is overlooked by lots of different hunters chairs, set up to watch over path intersections and clearings, at one point I come across a mobile stool built up onto an old trailer.

Then a few kilometres further on I come across a small group of hunters, with their rifles slung across their backs it's a little intimidating to see. For the next couple of kilometres I see more of them and wave a cheery hello to each. After finally leaving the forest and down a quiet lane I see a temporary sign telling me that the area is closed because of a hunt! so typical of these guys, they put up signs in some areas, but not others and sods law, the way I had come was unsigned and straight into the middle of them I'd ridden. Mind you not one of them had thought to say anything.

After the hunters, it was a short ride in a small copse that brought me back out onto the quiet roads above town and then before long I was home. In total, a couple of hours of relaxing riding in beautiful Autumn weather with just over 40km covered.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's been a week or two since my last confession...

Last Sunday I was left feeling miserably ambivolent as my ex went home, leaving me on my own in the house. Eventually I took the distractionary opportunity to clean the CdF and do some other work on it. Five hours later I'd "finished"; following mixed results and too much of a Cure soundtrack I was still miserable so set out on a defiant night ride in the high winds.

I got in a bit of off-road down Chiswell lane which proved to be more muddy than I'd anticipated - offering a few scares on the slicks and promptly covering the bike in sh*t again :rolleyes: After this I found myself on more urban routes and as the urge to expend a lot of energy ramped up set a few Strava PBs with the wind behind me. As usual I got back feeling a lot more level following an especially visceral, envigorating and highish-output 21 miles with only the high winds for a soundtrack, punctuated by occasional moment of calm.

During the week I've been doing a bit of work for a mate on the other side of town; meaning a 5ish mile commute each way on the Raleigh - which has been pleasant thanks to the dry weather throughout; if cold; especially on the way home.

Today I was supposed to get a load of stuff done before driving back to the homestead to do some other jobs, however I felt miserable as sin upon waking, so after getting most of the jobs done elected to sack off the return until tomorrow and go out on the CdF instead.

It was a beautiful, sunny, temperate day and I stuck to the roads as I think many tracks are now well beyond the capability of the slick Contis. The ride didn't start well with various knobheads getting in my way; one coming close to knocking me off then acting as if he'd somehow done me a favour by eventually giving way to me when I had priority..

I headed east through town, climbing to Elsfield with a PB time thanks to my pent up, angsty energy. Continuing to climb I ended up doing a bit of a loop; getting out as far east as Worminghall. I saw plenty of other cyclists that were probably 60-70% friendly; a good mix of ages, genders and bikes with the steel massive well represened by a guy coming the other way on a Surly of some description and an older chap on some vintage purple thing who blew me into the weeds :laugh:

By the end of the loop I'd had enough due to dwindling energy and the temperature falling rapidly as the sun sank. Against my better judgement I stopped at the Iffley Rd. chippy for dinner where the staff were as sound as always - the guy who served me complementing my bike and asking a lot of questions so I guess he's a fellow cyclist too :smile:

Once finally back, showered and fed as usual I felt so much better than I had before I'd left and as usual can't overstate the value cycling has had in dragging my mental health up from the pitiful depths its been plumbing recently. I know a lot of people are stuggling currently so I hope you're finding similar solace in your rides too :smile:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Only had time for a shorter ride today which was a shame because it was a lovely sunny autumn morning with no wind and dry roads, obviously tomorrow and Monday when I do have more time the forecast is for rain. Started out to Loppington through the village towards Burlton but turning off to English Frankton then on to Colemere, past the thatched cottages round Colemere itself to Lyneal, Welshampton, Breadon Heath, Bettisfield ,Northwood and a detour past Browns of Wem to get home. Lots of cyclists, walkers and dog walkers out enjoying the sunshine. 20 miles @15mph.
5284C975-5BD1-44A8-A5BA-360F54F5A460.jpeg

10D87AEC-7D5B-4D26-A082-061E2548EE45.jpeg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I was planning to have the weekend off the bike to give my legs a break, but the lure of sunshine and light winds was too much to ignore. Initially I was just going to do a variant of a regular loop out to Westerfield and back, but this changed with a diversion out to Grundisburgh and Tuddenham St Martin and then extended out to Claydon where I spotted @JhnBssll doing yet more work on his extension. After that it was the run home via Bramford, Sproughton, Ipswich & Bucklesham for a large mug of coffee & a hot shower.
Screenshot_2020-11-07 Lockdown 2 - The first 50 Ride Strava.png
Screenshot_2020-11-07 Lockdown 2 - The first 50 Ride Strava(1).png

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Another lovely day to get out on the bike. Decided to head to Tatton Park and on to Manchester Airport on the Boardman fixie. Loaded the Carradice saddle bag with brew stuff and snacks and off I went. Bridgewater Way was very busy so got off at the Trafford Centre and headed towards Irlam locks, Carrington, Dunham Park and then Tatton which was again busy on the main routes through the park. Had my first brew and the rode through Knutsford and Mobberly to the Southside of the airport. Paths around the airport were still very muddy after all the rain so some of my ride turned into a slippy walk 😁
Another brew sat watching the odd airliner depart and then back on the road home. The safest route was the Bridgewater Way from Brooklands near Sale but I should have known that would be a big mistake with it being even busier on the return leg. Noticed more idiots out by that time including cyclists racing in between families and the usual dog walkers reeling out their critters on extended leads !
cracking ride in perfect weather with 52 miles under my belt

Mike_P

Guru
What is this sun thing?

Yesterday their was a faint glimmer for a brief moment through the clouds and today is foggy so the yesterdays cleaned Defy, with its rear mech well soaked with GT85 as I could not find anything wrong despite its reluctance to change in the week, stayed tucked up in its shed. Also cobbled up yesterday a new sports cam mount from existing bits including the bolt of the broken part with its head cut off to act as the necessary threaded rod between the parts :okay:

Meanwhile its companion, the ebike, set forth this morning, factory fitted lights aglow on another Sainsburys shopping trip. This time pretty direct, although the fog ruled against even more direct up the A61 Ripon Road hill. It did go up it on Friday on a work related outing which probably broke all records (for an ebike that is) but I will never know as I forgot to start the Wahoo before dropping it into my ruck sack for safety:sad:

A lot of generally well behaved dogs and their owners to avoid today and for once no bike chasing dog encountered.

Strange knocking noise on the return turned out to be a lock mount having loosened resulting in the lock hitting the seat stay. 9.42 foggy miles.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I’d arranged to meet up with Paul, for a ride over to Baschurch, late morning, which yesterday had seemed like it would be perfect timing for the rain to have gone through...........

Woke to find it raining and a new forecast suggesting it wouldn’t be gone until 3pm.....That would be too late, as we wanted to be back to watch football, this afternoon, with Paul being a Wolves season ticket holder.......

So we ummed and ahhed and decided to revise plans and aim to see what it was like at 12:30 and just do an hour loop around Town, instead. It had dried up, bar a few spots of drizzle, by then and so I headed up to his house, at Radbrook and we set off for a very leisurely chatting ride.

We went down to the Quarry and rode through an extremely busy park, with everyone out walking and cycling, which is about all you can do again now. The towpath was back open, after the river had been on it early in the week and again it was busy all along there, to the weir.

We continued through Castlefields and then the inner ring road, where it had started to rain heavier again and got us properly wet before we parted ways at Meole Brace and headed back to our homes.

We both said that in normal times, we would have cried off the ride, but felt it important to get out and away from the four walls, even for an hour and was good to catch up news.

Arrived home with 9.9 miles on the clock and out of the house for dead on 1 hour. Just had a text from Paul, to say he’s arrived home with a flat rear tyre! There were some hedge cuttings about, along the towpath and so I imagine he’s picked up a thorn from there!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Having been keeping a close eye on the forecasts for a while I'd settled on which day to do my next challenge ride when Lockdown 2: Electric Boogaloo got announced, starting on the very day I was intending to go out.:dry:

Call me selfish if you wish, but at this stage of the year I wasn't willing to concede defeat, nor to wait in hope so a new plan was needed. I came up with a route that stayed in my local area (within a 12 mile radius of home seemed fair) and avoided the larger towns and any border crossings. That sorted I headed out for my usual early start yesterday morning, using the knockabout bike this time.

It was misty and cold at the start with barely a breath of wind and a faint smell of fresh tarmac drifting around from the nearby stone quarry. I set off into the pre-dawn, finding that the A49 was very quiet but not empty. I headed through Condover towards Wheathall and Berriewood before swinging back towards Condover to head around very familiar roads to Kingstreet, Berrington, Cross Houses, Cound, Harnage, Cound Moor and Acton Burnell. There was some traffic about and the odd person walking or running but otherwise pretty quiet. The sun sneaked up without me noticing until it was well above the horizon due to it being obscured by the mist and cloud. Views of the countryside were similarly obscured.

Reaching Acton Burnell I turned south heading for the Folly Bank climb and Cardington. A pause for my second breakfast was taken en route at the Longnor crossroads where I was surprised at how many vehicles passed in the short time I was stopped, including the first cyclists I'd seen this morning. Only the cyclists were headed in my direction at this point though (and they were much faster than me) so I had the lanes mostly to myself into a foggy Cardington. No photo stops here this time but I carried on towards Longville. Rounding a corner by Church Preen School I was confronted by a herd of cattle being driven towards me. Just as well I was turning off for Hughley at this junction anyway.

I started to struggle a bit on the way towards Harley which made me worried about completing the route but found if I went down a gear and took it a bit easier it was managable, then on the next climb out of Cressage towards Eaton Constantine I started off feeling very sluggish but the legs started feeling better as the climb went on. I did even start to catch a couple of riders ahead ^_^.... until they looked back, saw me and put on a fresh spurt. There were lots of cyclists about on this bit of road, most seemingly heading to ride around the Wrekin which I was turning away from now; to Uppington and via Bluebell Lane (not as pretty as it sounds) to Walcot before turning off to Withington. It took a couple of tries here to find a sufficiently isolated gateway to have another snack stop and open the flask of coffee.

Refreshed I pressed on to Rodington Heath and a little detour to see how the repairs at Ercall Mill Bridge were going - they are finished and the bridge is open again which is good to know for next time I head that way. I turned away from the bridge for Roden and apart from a pair of cyclists ahead and a couple of cars heading in the opposite direction, enjoyed an almost empty road until I turned off towards Poynton Green. I followed the marked cycle route for a bit to Bings Heath and Eburywood then turned for Astley, Hadnall, Plex, and Harmer Hill which was all very pleasant uneventful riding. At Harmer Hill I was flagging again a bit so wasn't looking forward to the climb I knew was coming at Myddle. Pulling into a junction with the intention of having a look at the map I was greeted by a couple of farmers (with the broadest Shropshire accents that I've heard in a while) who asked if I knew where I was going. Their advice "You don't want to go that way (to Myddle), we've just cut the hedge, you'll get a puncture" persuaded me to try a lane I haven't ridden before and I tried going left towards Merrington, which turns out to be a nicer way of approacing that village than the way I usually go.

Old Woods, Walford Heath and Yeaton followed and I took a break for lunch in another suitable gateway before carrying on towards Baschurch then onto the road to Great Ness and Pentre. When planning this route I didn't really know if the distance would be sufficient, but around the Pentre area I started to realise that I'd actually underestimated how far it was by quite a way. By the time I'd done the loop around Kinnerley, Argoed, Melverley and the Royal Hill it looked certain that I could afford to head back a much shorter way than I'd originally had in mind, which was very welcome news for my tired legs. I returned to Little Ness and took an alternative way to Grafton and Yeaton. Another snack stop was taken between Old Woods and Merrington then I retraced my steps to Harmer Hill, Plex, Hadnall, and Astley. Finding the A53 nice and quiet I cut the corner to Bings Heath and rejoined the lanes to Roden, then at Rodington Heath I took a right then a left onto Drury Lane, which I've never ridden before, as I cut the corner to Upton Magna.

The sun had set somewhere around Rodington and by the time I got to Atcham it was getting properly dark. On the run through Cross Houses, Berrington and back to Condover it seems not everyone remembers to dip their lights when the oncoming traffic is only a cyclist.:angry: The legs had felt better than expected on the last few climbs but I couldn't claim to be any kind of speed-demon on the flat by this point.

107.9 miles at the end of the day with a 12.2 mph moving average. 10 hours 35 minutes with all the stops included. Social distancing was easily achieved as so much of it was on quiet lanes and all done within the 12 mile radius I'd set myself.^_^

The sun breaks through the mist and cloud at Berrington.

Ready for Remembrance Sunday at Acton Burnell.

Climbing into the cloud at the top of Folly Bank.

Jumping on, the sun has made an appearance in the middle of the ride. Taken near Plex.

A pause at Yeaton.

On my way round towards Melverley.

Signs of recent flooding near Cae Howell.

Sad to see no customers at The Royal Hill once again.

I didn't see the A5 as quiet as this during the last lockdown.:ohmy:

Passing through Yeaton again on the return leg as the sunshine makes a last bid to break through.

13 rider

Guru
First weekend of the month would normally be an imperial century time but having worked yesterday awoke this morning lacking any motivation for 6.5 hrs in the saddle so canned that idea . After much faffing I'm out the door at 10.15 headed out to the village of Upton which is 15 miles from home so which ever way I go always cracks up 50km . Headed out through Newtown Linford and up the drag of Markfield lane to Markfield which then rewards me with a nice descent to Botcheston . A bit of rolling terrain to Barlestone . Arrive here at 10.57 so stopped at the war memorial for the 2 minutes silence there was a reasonable crowd just up the road at the church all socially distance observing an outside service and quite a few people came out off there house for the 2 minutes The silence seemed even more important this year . Back on the bike ,Carlton ,Market Bosworth ,Shenton said hello to a couple on a tandem travelling in the other direction . and finally reached Upton so turned for home . Sutton Cheney ,Cadeby and Market Bosworth were the couple on the tandem past me again obviously doing the same loop around Bosworth to me but the other way . Newtown Unthank ,Desford ,Ratby and home 37.4 miles in the bag at 16.3 mph with 2100ft of upness . Considering my lack of motivation I really enjoyed the ride but it was a grey day

Top Bottom