Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

footloose crow

Über Member
7 Jan. Reasons to be cheerful Part 1

1. The sun is out and melting the frost in places.

IMG_5444.jpg

2. Blue skies always make my heart sing.
3. The air is like champagne this morning. Full of ice crystals glittering in the light, cold, invigorating.
4. The lanes have dried up without rain for ten days. and there are significantly fewer iced up lines of slipperiness.
5. I didn't need to clean the bike at the end of the ride.
6. I didn't break anything.
7. There is much less traffic.
8. I didn't get any close passes.
9. I didn't fall down this hole.

IMG_5448.jpg

10. I found out my new bike is finally built and will be with me on Monday. The frame was stuck in a container at Felixstowe and after that there was a shortage of parts. The Shimano container was stuck somewhere too apparently.

Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 19.35.25.png

ianbarton

Veteran
I had to take my pickup truck to Market Drayton for its MOT test. There was a skittering of wet snow, but my local lane looked lear except for some patches in the middle of the road. I decided to put the bike in the back of the truck and cycle back home after I had dropped it off. There were a few flurries of very wet snow on the way there, but nothing to worry about. Once I had dropped the truck off I set off on the bike. I thought the route back through Norton in Hales and Audlem might be snowy because there is quite a lot of ground above 150 metres. The route via Longslow and Ightfield was lower and less likely to have icy/snowy roads.

Of course, I chose the stupid option and set off towards Norton in Hales. The road was OK until I got into Norton in Hales when it started to snow. The climb out was OK except for some compacted patches of slush where tractors had dragged snow from the side of the road. Things were going well until I encountered a hedge cutter on one of the steeper sections. I stopped and waited for him to pull into a layby. Setting off was a real comedy. I was on some wet compacted slush and when I tried to get going the rear wheel spun and I stayed stationary. I got going by sitting down hard on the saddle which restored enough traction to get moving. The long downhill section towards Audlem had some frozen slushy patches. I slowed right down, but avoided using the brakes once on the frozen slush. This strategy worked and I got back to the main road without falling off.

The final pull up Heywood Lane towards home went OK. Most of the sides of the road were clear with only a couple of short frozen compacted slushy bits. I got home feeling very cold, wet and covered in mud.
08-01-21-A-bike-ride-in-Market-Drayton-England.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Just an hours meandering around locally, revisiting the River Nene, all my old route is open across fields but very very muddy where water was stood.
Lots of bird life out there, quite a few people taking in the lovely sun. One guy ushered his dog to one side as I approached, I looked across and gave thanks....hang on...I know you . Turned out to be a contractor who was a regular at an old employer of mine. Nice chat for 5 mins them off again
A lovely relaxed way to spend an hour in the sun. Hosed bike down when I got home, filthy.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Another pootle to Levington and back. (I wear so many layers I feel like I'm puff pasty.)
You have to take your photo opportunities when you get them. I heard the sound of hooves, turned from taking a landscape, found the lady had no objection to her photo being taken, so I give to you: Suffolk in Winter: The Ship, a horse, a rider.

Levington Horse and rider.JPG

Mike_P

Guru
Not really a day for even the ebike:sad:

colly

Re member eR
A Saturday in the new Lockdown and I was out this aft. To be honest.............it seems just like any other Saturday.
The first Lockdown was a different kettle of fish. Roads, footpaths, even playing fields and parks looked like humanity had croaked en mass. This afternoon you really wouldn't know.
So local lanes and familiar lumps and bumps which I took steadily because although the main roads had been gritted there were still patches of slushy snow all over the place. It felt cold as well, the sort of damp cold which hangs about just over freezing.

Altogether it was 20.4 miles and about 1100 ft of up. Fixed wheel.

View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/61236899

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
23.5 miles around my local loop today , hard going all the way around as it was reading -1 c for most of the ride so i wasn't setting any records but at least i got out there
Gears were not indexing perfectly as i had changed from the turbo wheel and hadnt got the barrel adjuster spot on, stopped 3 times but it still isnt perfect as one gear seems not want to index right compared to all the others .

Top Bottom