Aldi winter cycling gear..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Nearest store to me (Rutherglen) looked like someone had chucked a grenade in the cycling gear. Sadly they had none of the winter jackets left and I had to make a huge effort not to make a consolation purchase.

GC

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Me neither :sad: Just been for a ride, and turned back after ½mile as I'd already stopped 3 times to pull thing back up over my arse. My pair seem to have medium legs (great fit) with an XL waist band fitted. Oddly the last pair I got from Aldi got binned for being to baggy in the leg, and tight round the waist

Looks like some home tailoring is gonna be needed

I was in Aldi today buying the winter jacket.. in front was a bloke retuning the pants for the same reason as you.

The jacket, in my opinion, is crap. I completely overheated in it with just a t-shirt beneath on a 15 min ride home from my folks. Not enough reflectives, not enough pockets and no vents... or thumb loops.
The gloves... ok but which fool decided the reflectives need to go 'there'

HovR

Über Member
The jacket, in my opinion, is crap. I completely overheated in it with just a t-shirt beneath on a 15 min ride home from my folks. Not enough reflectives, not enough pockets and no vents... or thumb loops.

Not sure what it's like where you are, but BBC is claiming the temp was 17 degrees around here today - Not exactly winter weather, it may explain the overheating.

400bhp

Guru
I was in Aldi today buying the winter jacket.. in front was a bloke retuning the pants for the same reason as you.

The gloves... ok but which fool decided the reflectives need to go 'there'

If you're talking about the winter jacket then it's not cold enough to wear it yet. It's meant for temps in single figures.

Teuchter

Über Member
Went in at the end of my ride home to see about a winter jacket but didn't get one in the end. Looked too thick to me, I'll stick with my current one. Got the wee lights to keep in the pannier as an emergency spare set and overshoes though.

There was loads of everything except velcro shoes left in the Erskine store at 6.30 tonight.

Matt1705

Über Member
Just got back from my trip to aldi, I'm impressed how much they had left considering some of the replies on here.
I got the winter top, padded trousers, waterproof trousers, gloves, jacket, socks and toolkit. Can't wait for my first ride in my new stuff lol

Also can't repeat what the wife said when I tried on the padded trousers, first time I've worn tight Lycra :becool:

Edit: only thing I couldn't get that I wanted was the waterproof jacket :sad:

GentlyBenevolent

Got home and inspected the haul:
Dayglo jersey - fits well, the zippy pocket (zip along the top of the pocket, across your back) at the back seems easy enough to use, and it's bright!
Red jersey - Nice features like a flap to cover the zip / protect your neck when done right up. The pocket zips up the sides, which means I can mount a fibre-flare light across the small of my back. Thumb holes in the cuffs are too small, and there's too much fabric in the forearms - the cut is all wrong, but not enough to flap. A quick ride out in this and it was comfy, warm, but not overly so. The tail of the jersey stayed in place just fine.
Reflective strips+LEDs - Tiny lights, and they're quite dim. Some of them look a little brighter than others, as though a couple of the bands got turned on in transit, but none of them are massively bright. However, as there are unlit roads around me these will still be useful for cycling or walking anywhere at night. Better than nothing, especially at the price.
Winter gloves - fit is ok around the wrist and palm, but the set I have seem to be the witch fitting, as they're an inch too long in each of the fingers. However, they'll do for now.

Also got a set of the waterproof trousers, and the bike stand, but haven't unpacked those yet. All in all, nothing's perfect, but I'm happy with it and won't be taking it back.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
got a blue xl winter jacket, wanted red but had all gone by 9am.
waterproof trousers xl
gloves xl
overshoes, 10-11
and lights. all for about £40. forgot about mirror voucher!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Nearest store to me (Rutherglen) looked like someone had chucked a grenade in the cycling gear. Sadly they had none of the winter jackets left and I had to make a huge effort not to make a consolation purchase.

GC
Rutherglen's Aldi still had stuff from the summer cycling event last week (brake pads and cycle computers). I could not go today, might make it tomorrow, don't really need anything but that never stopped me buying before :biggrin:
GC, me thinks we live near each other: watch out :cycle:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
got there just before 8am, expecting a mad rush, but there was only two other chaps waiting too. Got the trousers and overshoes. Went for a ride with new trousers on and beat my strava record. Jumped from 121st to 50th on a 2kms segment at 33.2km/h. These trousers must be good, they make you go faster!!

OP
OP
potsy

potsy

Rambler
Just rode in wearing my winter jacket, 10c at the minute and probably a tad too warm for it, should be perfect for the ride home :cold:

Top Bottom