Alternative road pedals or stick to spds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
Hello

I started out using mtb spd pedals on my road bike then a couple of years ago i bought proper road shoes and keo look pedals.

I have the keo pedals on my "best bike" and the spds on my winter hack.

Even after 2 years i find the road ones much harder to get in and out of, i dont know if its these peticular ones but i always seem to need to look down to clip in when moving away from junctions etc and flip the thing, its a bit annoying and feels dodgy in traffic.

The mtb double sided spds are much easier to get into and a bit easier to get out of

So im considering whether to ditch the road shoes completely and buy some newer mtb shoes (old ones are getting tatty) along with some more spd pedals for "best" bike.

The only downside as far as im aware is supposed power transfer through a softer sole, but im not a super fit racer looking for a couple of extra watts. I think the benefits of not having to clip clop around on cafe stops would be a plus point.

But before i buy mtb shoes are there any good reaons why i should stick to road pedals and shoes and if so which ones do you find the easiest to get in and out of ?

betty swollocks

large member
Unless you're after marginal gains (and the jury is out whether road shoes actually deliver this), go with shoes you can walk properly and run away effectively in.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you are not a super fit racer who is looking to gain a couple of watts here and there then there's no need not to use SPD's.
Some people like to say there's more of a bigger platform with road specific pedals and road shoes have stiffer soles. Well that is highly debatable. I never noticed any difference between road and SPD's. And of course, using one set of pedals on all your bikes is much less faff.

Globalti

Legendary Member
After 18 years on SPDs and then a couple of years on Keos and four years on SPD-SLs I can tell you this:

SPDs are perfect for easy clipping and the shoes for walking around but with a flimsy sole you can feel them pressing into your foot.

Keos are poor quality and fall apart too easily. Cleats also wear out fast and become lethal once the polymer pads have fallen off.

Shimano SPD-SL is far superior in quality and gives a better platform than SPDs, the pedals and shoes are about half the weight, pedals never seem to wear, cleats are wider and more stable and wear better. But they are still awkward for walking so better suited to people who just want to ride and seldom stop.

Drago

Legendary Member
Plenty of 2 bolt SPD shoes out there with nice, stiff soles. 2 bolt was originally aimed at the touring market and MTB's came later, so they're perfectly appropriate for you if you have a suitable shoe, and there are plenty of light, stiff 2 bolt shoes around. Like you, I had my 'best' road bike on Ultega SL's, but was never quite as comfortable with them, walking was a pain, and having to wear specific shoes for just the one bike was a pain, so the whole fleet went 2 bolt a couple of years ago. I've nothing against SL's at all, but as a non-competitive rider I found the cons outnumbered any pros...if indeed there were genuinely any pro's over 2 bolt.

Hello

I started out using mtb spd pedals on my road bike then a couple of years ago i bought proper road shoes and keo look pedals.

MTB pedals have their place ( on a MTB )

Keo Look pedals have the rep of being a bit flakey.

Even after 2 years i find the road ones much harder to get in and out of, i dont know if its these peticular ones but i always seem to need to look down to clip in when moving away from junctions etc and flip the thing, its a bit annoying and feels dodgy in traffic.

The slightly odd profile of those particular pedals can make it trickier than traditional SPD-SL type pedals.

The mtb double sided spds are much easier to get into and a bit easier to get out of

They are supposed to be.

So im considering whether to ditch the road shoes completely and buy some newer mtb shoes (old ones are getting tatty) along with some more spd pedals for "best" bike.

Whether that works or not, depends on the mileage / intensity / type of ride you do.

The only downside as far as im aware is supposed power transfer through a softer sole, but im not a super fit racer looking for a couple of extra watts. I think the benefits of not having to clip clop around on cafe stops would be a plus point.

The “power transfer” issue is a bit of marketeers rhetoric. The main issue is foot stability and maintainance of foot angle in relation to the leg, and whether the toe in / out angle can be maintained sufficiently in a MTB SPD, compared to a Road pedal ( not a massive concern if you’re not “smashing it”). If you want to stop the “clip clop” problem, buy some of these.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-cleat-covers/

But before i buy mtb shoes are there any good reaons why i should stick to road pedals and shoes and if so which ones do you find the easiest to get in and out of ?

There are lots of good reasons to stick to road shoes and SPD-SL pedals, not least because it’s easier to maintain a steadier and more efficient Cadence and power, which will ultimately affect how effective your post ride recovery will be, and from what you are recovering. If I were you, I’d look at getting a well fitting, light, stiff soled road shoe ( Carbon composite soles are best IME) get some Shimano type SPD cleats, and SPD-SL pedals, with cleat covers, and you’ll be good to go:okay:. It all depends on what type / intensity of riding you do of course, but anything more than a couple of miles at ( for argument’s sake) sub 100 Watts, and the road set up starts to make sense.

OP
OP
adamangler

adamangler

Veteran
Interesting thanks guys.

As I thought some will say no difference other will say big difference.

So I guess it's down to what I prefer.

Personally I don't feel any noticeable difference when riding, at least it's not something I think about. I suppose if i rode one after the other and conciously paid attention I would definitely feel the MTB shoe being softer. The only difference that stands out is the ease of getting in and out.

I could fit one of each and go for a ride with one road shoe and one MTB shoe that would be interesting lol

I suppose I could try some Shimano road pedals or get a stiffer road style 2 bolt shoe.

As for riding Im not a massive mile muncher.

Generally a 3-4 hour steady ish ride on a Sunday, sometimes that's a club ride or solo. Then a couple of shorter more intense or interval type rides during the week 1-2 hours each either outside or on the turbo. Maybe 100 miles a week on average.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've yet to see any technical evidence that "power transfer" is more efficient with either system. I have also yet to see any technical evidence that one system is more stable than another, or holds any part of the rider in a more or less medically favourable or technically efficient position than any other.

In the absence of such evidence, claims of this nature trotted out by glossy magazines and their readers must be treated with suspicion, and best disregarded when making ones own decision about an appropriate system for you.

As result, when you say that it comes down to "what I prefer" you are absolutely spot on.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've yet to see any technical evidence that "power transfer" is more efficient with either system. In the absence of such evidence, claims of this nature trotted out by glossy magazines must be treated with suspicion.
Indeed.

If the pedal is comfortable and you are clipped in securely the power transfer comes from you legs, nothing else. For a decent platform to support your foot, try these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NON...t=&hvlocphy=9045262&hvtargid=pla-441012817163

Globalti

Legendary Member
It doesn't matter how good or expensive the pedals and cleats, when you're sprinting up a short hill or racing a mate to the next lamp post your feet will move around in your shoes. It takes an expensive and stiff shoe to hold your foot securely and the tighter the shoe the better the fit needs to be. I bet lots of people wearing ill-fitting shoes over-tighten them and suffer foot pain and poor circulation.

As I thought some will say no difference other will say big difference.

Pretty much.

So I guess it's down to what I prefer.

Personally I don't feel any noticeable difference when riding, at least it's not something I think about. I suppose if i rode one after the other and conciously paid attention I would definitely feel the MTB shoe being softer. The only difference that stands out is the ease of getting in and out.

Yes, and you’ll notice the difference if you do more than one higher intensity ( for argument’s sake over 100 miles, at over 150 Watts average ) in quick succession, in the amount and type of recovery required.

I could fit one of each and go for a ride with one road shoe and one MTB shoe that would be interesting lol

I suppose I could try some Shimano road pedals or get a stiffer road style 2 bolt shoe.

Yes, that’s one way of showing the difference. If you get the road shoes set up properly, on a road ride, you should notice a difference in the way your legs feel after the ride, and how you recover.

It depends what your aims are, but you’ll be more limited in your scope for improvement, with 2 bolt SPDs / pedals, on a road bike.

Buy stiffer mtb shoes (like BG mtb sport) and you certainly won't notice a difference but even with cheaper mtb shoes you are probably unlikely to see a difference.
True, only if you really are only plodding along ( there’s nothing wrong with that ), but anyone who tells you there’s no difference, on even a moderate intensity / distance road ride, really hasn’t got much of a clue. The ‘acid test’ is the usual, if there really was no difference, Pro riders ( and even amateur racers ) wouldn’t bother with the more complex / expensive road shoe, SPD-SL ( or whichever road specific binding system they prefer). The simple fact is, they don’t use 2 bolt systems, and MTB type shoes, for all the reasons I outlined earlier.

Last edited:
True, only if you really are only plodding along ( there’s nothing wrong with that ), but anyone who tells you there’s no difference, on even a moderate intensity / distance road ride, really hasn’t got much of a clue.
I am wearing carbon soled spd-sl road shoes at the moment (sidi's) and have done for the last 6 years I cant say I noticed any significant improvement with them over my previous spd set up with stiff soled and light shoes and wider caged touring pedals and I've done a lot of distance and intensity with both.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I use 2-bolt 'MTB' style SPD's on all 6 of my bikes. I've got 3 or 4 pairs of shoes that cater for all eventualities, some much stiffer than others, but all comfortable and easy to walk in where needed. I've never tried SPD-SL so can't directly compare but I have no intention of swapping as I get on so well with what I have. On the road bikes I use single sided A-600 pedals which have a decent size platform combined with stiff soled Sidi shoes, I can't imagine SL's being worth the silly walk :tongue:

Top Bottom