Bad manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
No it has not. The bod who made that claim refuses to say who he's referring to.
On the contrary, I think he puts it very clearly:

"Cultural norm. I use that thought when at work where you're walking tbrough the busy entrance to the factory..and the door will almost NEVER be held open by the preceding person, because they're 99% east european. Its not personal, they dont hold the door for their own kind, its just not part of their thought process."

'who' is clearly the east europeans he works with. And as he says, this isn't about rudeness; it's about 'cultural norms'.

Reactions: gbb
Eastern European doesn't mean Poles. East European is not a specific term. We don't know who he means and he refuses to say, but his main problem is extrapolating his limited personal experience and twisting the truth by claiming they behave like that BECAUSE they are eastern european. That's racist the same as saying people break the law BECAUSE they are black. Understand?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The only time not holding a door open is a problem is when you follow someone through a pair of double doors that swing back and out at you- the force to stop their momentum is enough to knock an elderly or infirm person completely off their feet and getting fingers trapped is a problem for children. Saw both happen in M+S in Newcastle, though most door entries now have outward opening automatic doors so it's not as much of an issue.

[Edit: It wasn't M+S, it was Fenwick's]

Last edited:

SD1

Eastern European doesn't mean Poles. East European is not a specific term. We don't know who he means and he refuses to say, but his main problem is extrapolating his limited personal experience and twisting the truth by claiming they behave like that BECAUSE they are eastern european. That's racist the same as saying people break the law BECAUSE they are black. Understand?
Which bod? Me or @gbb
" East European is not a specific term."
Why?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
SD1, I meant have you used a different CC identity with a different name on CC before you recently started contributing as 'SD1'? I appreciate you don't need to answer if you prefer not to and I wouldn't blame you! :smile:

I thought it was Eastern Europeans?​

So explain to me why you don't believe it is racist to slag off all eastern Europeans based on a few personal anecdotes. I expect you'll give a straight answer with no evasion.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We are over-polite in Britain; I really dislike hearing the over-effusive "Cheers fanksalot mate!" afer I hold a door for someone or do some minor thing. A simple "thanks" or a nod and smile of acknowledgement would suffice.

SD1

SD1, I meant have you used a different CC identity with a different name on CC before you recently started contributing as 'SD1'? I appreciate you don't need to answer if you prefer not to and I wouldn't blame you! :smile:
Thorn I am a big fan of Rolhoff. Though you never know? Also on? Can't remember.

SD1

So explain to me why you don't believe it is racist to slag off all eastern Europeans based on a few personal anecdotes. I expect you'll give a straight answer with no evasion.
I haven't slagged of Eastern Europeans...I don't think I did. Did I? And as a lot of people keep pointing out @gbb and a few others are talking about "cultural norms" which isn't really slagging them off.
Yet again it's xenophobia not racist. You are suggesting they are a different race that is racist.
I suspect the Queen would agree with me, although I haven't asked her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom