Bad manners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

It's not my opinion. Saying that people behave badly because they come from a certain area is racist. It's a sweeping generalisation. If you disagree explain why.
Whose opinion is it? As he said, in there culture they don't hold the doors open for people. Like you I consider that rude!
Xenophobia how many times do I have to tell you that? They are the same race as us.

in there culture they don't hold the doors open for people.

You have no idea what you are talking about. What culture? The culture of Eastern Europe? And it's "their".

You're posting nonsense.

SD1

You have no idea what you are talking about. What culture? The culture of Eastern Europe? And it's "their".

You're posting nonsense.
Whoa your grammatical errors far exceed mine. Are you suggesting they don't have a different culture to us? My observation do not suggest that all cultures are homogeneous, does yours?
I will be glad when you go back to school?
PS we were talking about Poles remember?

ayceejay

Guru
Is this rude or what. We have the electric meter on the outside here and the reader has a gadget so he can read the meter without getting out of his car, I have never seen him before but today he was standing in the neighbours drive pointing this camera like thing at our house. I didn't know he was the meter reader so I went out and asked WTF?

stephec

Legendary Member
Is this rude or what. We have the electric meter on the outside here and the reader has a gadget so he can read the meter without getting out of his car, I have never seen him before but today he was standing in the neighbours drive pointing this camera like thing at our house. I didn't know he was the meter reader so I went out and asked WTF?

Nothing wrong with that, I'd have done the same.

SD1

Soon we will all have Smart Meters, well 2020. They won't even have to come to your house to read it. In fact we will be able to see what we are using with a hand held device. I will probably end up not turning anything on! Might get a bit smelly after while!
How about you lot?

It's depressing that some of your colleagues may think your pig ignorance normal for Brits.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I can't see that there's anything racist about saying that certain peoples/races/nations behave in certain ways, even if those ways are ways that certain other peoples/races/nations might, other things being equal, consider rude. Not least because as often as not, other things are not equal.

The door-holding is a good example. It's been suggested that Poles walk through doors and don't hold them for anyone following. This suggestion has been interpreted as effectively saying 'Poles are rude'. And, further, as racist. I find this baffling.

My sister told me that when she first went to live in Denmark, she was surprised to find that people entering, say, a department store, will not - as most Brits would - glance back and, if necessary, hold the door for someone following. They just walk through and let go, and that's that. She never for a moment suggested - or felt - that that meant Danes were rude. Just that they do that particular thing in a different way to the way we do it. And once you get used to it, she said, it's not a problem. You just take on board the fact that people won't hold doors for you, and behave accordingly yourself.

I really can't see anything racist in that. Or even rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom