Charlie Alliston case - fixie rider accused of causing pedestrian death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Working in the insurance industry @srw knows as an irrefutable fact that young males are a high risk category of car driver. It is no comment on individuals
bullcrap. seems actual experiences of road users do not tally with the crap insurance companies come out with.

No, I think they are pretty well done.

"The trial continues on Friday, when prosecution and defence barristers will give their closing speeches, before the judge, Wendy Joseph QC, sums up the case. She told jurors they would retire to consider their verdicts on Monday."
Hmm, no reports I can find on line about what happened yesterday. I guess not unreasonably been eclipsed by what happened in Barcelona.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes. Actual claims experience has a strong influence over pricing for that sort of insurance.

Not necessarily in my company - we avoid young drivers precisely because they are high-risk, so we don't have the stats. Even if we did they'd be proprietary. You'll simply have to accept that this is a subject I know quite a lot about - young drivers are a danger both to their passengers and to other road users, so give rise to lots of expensive claims and so get hit with very high premiums. If they were safe in the same way as (say) their 40-something parents then there would be a race to provide insurance to them cheaply.
Was chatting to a mate's daughter last evening, just got her A levels, off to Bournemouth Uni next month, ma and pa provided a clio for upper VIth duties, two accidents, premiums now 175 notes a month. No car for uni. :sad:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
bullcrap. seems actual experiences of road users do not tally with the crap insurance companies come out with.
Are you suggesting that the insurance claims from actual road users don't relate to actual experiences. Is it just possible that the collated data from tens of thousands of incidents might show trends that are at odds with your individual experience?

Declaring an interest... I work for an insurance company.

Are you suggesting that the insurance claims from actual road users don't relate to actual experiences. Is it just possible that the collated data from tens of thousands of incidents might show trends that are at odds with your individual experience?

Declaring an interest... I work for an insurance company.
Ah, in before I got around to hitting post on my sarcasm.

"Yup, I'll take your anecdotes ahead of carefully collated statistics assembled by professionals whose business depends on it's accuracy."

Edit: Most drivers are men over 30, so they are going to cause the majority of accidents. That doesn't mean they are the worst drivers.

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 12.25.20.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hmm, no reports I can find on line about what happened yesterday. I guess not unreasonably been eclipsed by what happened in Barcelona.

Closing speeches - particularly the prosecutor's - are inevitably similar to what's gone before.

If the media outlet has done daily reports, there will be nothing new so they tend not to do speeches and summing up unless it's a very high profile case.

There might be something Monday, not least because a day has been missed and some outlets will want to keep the pot simmering, if not boiling.

There may, of course, be verdicts.

The case is listed to start at 9.30am, which is pre-dawn in court terms, so it looks like the judge wants to have a good run at it on Monday morning.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Closing speeches - particularly the prosecutor's - are inevitably similar to what's gone before.

If the media outlet has done daily reports, there will be nothing new so they tend not to do speeches and summing up unless it's a very high profile case.

There might be something Monday, not least because a day has been missed and some outlets will want to keep the pot simmering, if not boiling.

There may, of course, be verdicts.

The case is listed to start at 9.30am, which is pre-dawn in court terms, so it looks like the judge wants to have a good run at it on Monday morning.
Love the "pre dawn in court time" comment.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4924349, member: 1314"]

Fair enough. In which case I'll still keep an eye our for the list of road users I mentioned earlier when cycling (or walking) instead of focussing on 'kids' driving cars.

There must be stats somewhere which show who are the most dangerous users of road space in terms of endangering other road users apart from themselves.
[/QUOTE]
The only stats available cover actual harm not (mere) endangerment. Maybe that's the thing. Young males kill and maim like no other group whereas, possibly, older drivers just scare the bejaysus out of cyclists?

Reactions: srw
[QUOTE 4924349, member: 1314"]Fair enough. In which case I'll still keep an eye our for the list of road users I mentioned earlier when cycling (or walking) instead of focussing on 'kids' driving cars.[/QUOTE]
Hate to be pedantic (OK - no I don't :tongue:), but still ... you don't think it would be good idea to keep an eye out for ALL road users?

Top Bottom