Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes, training/commuting/touring tyres overlap with each other. The rubber is more hard-wearing with puncture protection, but with a weight penalty.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just to clarify the term "training tyre" - does it mean tyres that are maybe heavier, tougher, slower than the tyres speed merchants might put on for races?
If so, fine for me as though I sometimes do big distances I am not a racer, am a "general purpose" cyclist and value reliability and basic comfort over speed - and cheapness :smile:

edit I assume they can also be used in summer "training" or whatever.

The Zaffiro's are a little more robust, bit heavier and probably won't roll as fast. TBH the Zaffiro Pro on one of my road bikes were fine (Pro being folding) and they were only £12 each. I don't usually pick road tyres with any tread, but my plan is more back roads and lanes, and these were a good price. Don't really care if they only last a year.

The Zaffiro's are a little more robust, bit heavier and probably won't roll as fast. TBH the Zaffiro Pro on one of my road bikes were fine (Pro being folding) and they were only £12 each. I don't usually pick road tyres with any tread, but my plan is more back roads and lanes, and these were a good price. Don't really care if they only last a year.
a year?
Pretty sure I'm still running some tyres that are 15 years old. Only eventually replace them when punctures start to come regularly (but hopefully before the sidewalls blow).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
a year?
Pretty sure I'm still running some tyres that are 15 years old. Only eventually replace them when punctures start to come regularly (but hopefully before the sidewalls blow).

My Michelin Pro4's were new 5 years ago, stored in the dark - were un-rideable last summer when I decided to get back on the road bike. Cracked to pieces and perished.

beepbeep

''trainer tyre '' - I was under the impression that these tyres are for INDOOR trainers ( TACX / KICKR etc ) and not for road use.

I use Zaffiro ( red ) tyres on my tack smart trainer

Kbrook

Veteran
''trainer tyre '' - I was under the impression that these tyres are for INDOOR trainers ( TACX / KICKR etc ) and not for road use.

I use Zaffiro ( red ) tyres on my tack smart trainer
There’s a difference between a training tyre and a trainer tyre, the former is for normal use just not as light/fast/expensive, the latter is for your turbo trainer etc.

I have a turbo tyre. Hasn't lasted the winter. Maybe I put too much power down!!!!
It is cracking up and I can see the casing. I might have been better just using up my old stock of tyres.

I have a turbo tyre. Hasn't lasted the winter. Maybe I put too much power down!!!!
It is cracking up and I can see the casing. I might have been better just using up my old stock of tyres.
Blimey. How much turbo have you done ? I know my old Cateye turbo was pretty gentle on tyres.

300/400 miles or so. Max 30 miles, usually just 1.5 hours ish, very ish. Not doing all these power tests etc. No idea how to do them. Just following videos of road rides.
Decent Tacx turbo.
Tyre will see winter out, but might not see next winter in:rolleyes:

beepbeep

300/400 miles or so. Max 30 miles, usually just 1.5 hours ish, very ish. Not doing all these power tests etc. No idea how to do them. Just following videos of road rides.
Decent Tacx turbo.
Tyre will see winter out, but might not see next winter in:rolleyes:
check the settings on the turbo....too much pressure on the roller will cause a tyre to shred early
if its a tacx smart trainer .use the calibration app

Top Bottom