Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
I have to replace a set of damaged Zonda’s. How do these compare please?

Same wheels. I’d consider Cero AR24s though at £189. Tubeless ready, 1,462 grams, 2year warranty. I got mine with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless fully fitted for £280. Very happy with them so far (only a week to be fair).

bpsmith

Veteran
Well, i've used Fulcrum Racing 7's for a number of years and they are entry level wheels apparently. This is two tiers up so i'd imagine of much better quality and weight.
I have a set of 7’s on the bike at present, but not used them since the bike got damaged. Been keeping a keen eye out for replacements, but might change my mind if the 7’s are ok.

bpsmith

Veteran
My understanding is that they're the same - one's focused on Campag and the other Shimano.

Same wheels. I’d consider Cero AR24s though at £189. Tubeless ready, 1,462 grams, 2year warranty. I got mine with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless fully fitted for £280. Very happy with them so far (only a week to be fair).

I knew that they were the same company, but wasn’t sure where the equate to between the brands. Cheers for confirming everyone.

If they’re equal to Zonda’s then I will stay with my original choice as prefer the design and spoke pattern.

I keep getting enticed by a set of Shamal Mille with the dark braking surface. Supposed to be amazing, but worth the extra spend? That’s a tough one, although they will look good wearing the Corsa G+’s that I got with latex tubes for £61.99 a pair earlier. Was only looking for 1 new S-Works Turbo, but they were a steal. :smile:

Will check out those Cero’s too.

Mike_P

Guru
Thanks for this tincaman. I ordered them in black. My normal size, with the odd exception, is 42. I took the hints and went a size up to 43 and they fit fine. Nice stiff sole. Haven't tried on the bike yet but am sure they will be fine. Perfect shoe for town wandering and pubbing I think. A bargain. Thanks.
I went for 46s instead of 45s (actually should be 44.5] and feel just right. How do you get the SPD cover off?

With a lot of rude words !!
Use a strong table knife as the cover is well stuck on.
size wise i got normal 47 and they are cosy but ok
I think the normal thing is to use a stanley or craft knife.

It's good that it is well stuck on, or more than that actually part of the sole, in case you want to use them without cleats, as i will. The alternative is the trashy sort of system used by aldi on some of their shoes, where a hole peels off the bottom of your shoes in use. So top marks to spesh.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I went for 46s instead of 45s (actually should be 44.5] and feel just right. How do you get the SPD cover off?
A flat headed screwdriver will do it, force it between the cover and sole and it’ll lever off.

Used mine on the bike yesterday on a nippy london day. With lidl's woolly socks all cosy, despite the mesh in the construction at the top. Better made than my spesh racy mtb shoes which stupidly have mesh on a flex point, so they nafurally split. Great to pedal in and walk in, toying with the idea of getting a second pair.

At this rate i'll need no normal clothes and can go everwhere in "bike" gear.

400bhp

Guru
Used mine on the bike yesterday on a nippy london day. With lidl's woolly socks all cosy, despite the mesh in the construction at the top. Better made than my spesh racy mtb shoes which stupidly have mesh on a flex point, so they nafurally split. Great to pedal in and walk in, toying with the idea of getting a second pair.

At this rate i'll need no normal clothes and can go everwhere in "bike" gear.
I collected my pair today. Yet to wear them in anger but they fit well (ordered in my normal size) and look well put together.
I’m intending to use them for bike like potters and to eventually replace a 7 year old pair of commuting laced up pair.

Not attempted to remove the spd cover yet but is it actually a separate bit of rubber that could be prized out or does it actually have to be cut out?

I note that the shoe design is of an older model, not that I’m bothered in any way, but interested where this stock has come from given they have a wide selection of sizes.

Not attempted to remove the spd cover yet but is it actually a separate bit of rubber that could be prized out or does it actually have to be cut out?

Don't know to be honest as I don't intend to fit cleats to these shoes.

I hope it has to be cut - I think that is a better system with shoes like this

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I collected my pair today. Yet to wear them in anger but they fit well (ordered in my normal size) and look well put together.
I’m intending to use them for bike like potters and to eventually replace a 7 year old pair of commuting laced up pair.

I note that the shoe design is of an older model, not that I’m bothered in any way, but interested where this stock has come from given they have a wide selection of sizes.
Prize it off with a flat headed screwdriver, I've done this so many times for customers when I worked at Specialized and to my first pair of SPD shoes (Spesh Tahoe).

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
I had to cut round it with a DIY knife - one did lift at its heel end but the other seemed to be stuck fast. Once cut round I found they came off best by pushing a non sharp knife under from the toe end. NB Shimano Cleats £7.19 from Halfords with British Cycling Discount

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
NB Shimano Cleats £7.19 from Halfords with British Cycling Discount

Does anyone actually buy spd cleats? I find that the cleats outlast the pedals, so often have spare cleats, which in the past I've posted out to other forum members & sure I've seen other folk do the same :okay: I know I have at least one pair of cleats in my 'spares' if anyone does need some

Top Bottom