Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The terms loose fit and windproof, together, sounds horrendous.
Actually quite useful in Spring/Autumn, allowing layering or not. I've a similar jacket from another make. Only the front is windproof.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Depends if you want to go fast or not. The most common cycling "uniform" I see locally comprises safety work boots and trousers and a hi-vis traffic jacket. The rider will usually be on a rigid MTB or hybrid mind you, not a lightweight road bike. Not exactly aerodynamic but at 10 or 12 mph it isn't really going to matter. I can recommend wearing breathable Goretex hi-vis overtrousers for venturing out in filthy wet weather. They are great at keeping your legs dry, and stop the biting cold wind going right through you.

bpsmith

Veteran
Actually quite useful in Spring/Autumn, allowing layering or not. I've a similar jacket from another make. Only the front is windproof.
Loose fit conjures up and image of a jacket flapping around in the wind, making life hard for the rider.

I tend to stick to a Jersey with a single layer underneath. The layer itself chosen for the temperature range I expect to experience. I find fitted outer layers have plenty of stretch in them for any thickness of base layers these days.

Personally though, I often ride as low as -2 degrees with just a Castelli Alpha Jersey and a single base layer. The Alpha is windproof on the front and most of the arms, with the rear being a breathable jersey fabric. Merino base layer being underneath. I honestly believe that having loose garments is not as effective as fitted ones which trap the air and keep you insulated better.

bpsmith

Veteran
Depends if you want to go fast or not. The most common cycling "uniform" I see locally comprises safety work boots and trousers and a hi-vis traffic jacket. The rider will usually be on a rigid MTB or hybrid mind you, not a lightweight road bike. Not exactly aerodynamic but at 10 or 12 mph it isn't really going to matter. I can recommend wearing breathable Goretex hi-vis overtrousers for venturing out in filthy wet weather. They are great at keeping your legs dry, and stop the biting cold wind going right through you.
As the post above, it's about keeping insulated as much as the speed element. Actually this is more important the slower you go, as you're not warming up as much as going hard at it.

The clothing you mention is fine with respect to fitting, as it appears that you don't care too much, but the posts were about specific cycling gear so the points made stand.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's not loose fit as in baggy & flapping, but gives just enough room underneath for anything from just a thin jersey when it's chilly to base layer, thin jersey and thermal jersey together when it gets really cold.

bpsmith

Veteran
It's not loose fit as in baggy & flapping, but gives just enough room underneath for anything from just a thin jersey when it's chilly to base layer, thin jersey and thermal jersey together when it gets really cold.
My race fit jerseys have enough give in them for any of those combinations. No need to start with loose fit.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Yeah. But maybe you wouldn’t feel the same if you had moobs and a beer gut.

There are laws that prevent some of us wearing ‘race fit jerseys’.

:stop:

Graham
Laws of physics...

bpsmith

Veteran
[QUOTE 5158438, member: 43827"]Then they may say race fit, but they are not race fit.[/QUOTE]
They’re certainly not loose fit I can tell you. ;)

Top Bottom