Media coverage of Prince Phillips passing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
That aside, there's been some good tails from the likes of Penelope Keith,
Oooh, I have a thing for Ms Keith.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I’ve met Bill Nighy (as this is in general chat, it was at a get-together of many many people in London to object to a particular government policy around membership of a large trading bloc). Very friendly. Fantastic shoes.

I've also met Bill Nighy. He was filming a scene on a ferry
I used to work on. His scene was boarding as a foot passenger in Calais. He walked aboard supporting two twelve bottle cases of wine with one hand much like a waiter carrying a tray.
Once cameras stopped I said to him, "you're a lot stronger than you look."

Last edited:

Tribansman

Veteran
Ridiculous, BBC one and two broadcasting a four hour Philip special, the exact same programme at the exact same time and it's being repeated until breakfast time tomorrow on both channels. That's complete overkill. Where's the balance, lots will want to watch it, lots won't.
I don't like being shovel fed stuff in this manner. BBC radio is the same. No other news on the world at one, same on pm and I'll bet the guests on any questions tonight are not the original panel. ITV have done the same. At least channel four still have normal schedule programmes with a few Philip specials thrown in.

Yes it's sad, he was a seemingly decent man but it's not going to affect me in any way other than the fawning media coverage wrecking my schedule.
It certainly deserves a lot of attention and broadcasting but this is ridiculous.
Agree with virtually all of this. What a bizarre, weird country we live in when the four main TV channels have wall to wall coverage of the death of a privileged man. An hour's documentary would be overkill, this is embarrassing.

I don't think it should be given any more attention than the death of any other person. How many people die as a result of inequality and a hundred other things that coverage shining a light could help us do something about? But no, we're fed this guff by the establishment to keep us in thrall to the elite and as if they're some special, virtuous breed.

Anyone outside of his family/friends who are upset or bothered about this (other than feeling a bit sorry for the queen and his family) are just plain weird.

I remember following Princess Diana's death that if you weren't dressed in widow's weeds and showing how upset you were 24/7 you were made to feel like some sort of pariah.

The fawning, sycophantic, insanely over the top coverage is nauseating, repulsive, vile. I'm not watching, listening or reading the news for at least a fortnight. And I've cancelled my TV licence.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The top 9 articles on the bbc news app are all about him too 🧐

Drago

Legendary Member
We get poverty and inequality all day, every day. That being the case I dont think we can begrudge the nation 12 hours of non stop discussion about a gent who was married to their monarch and who was generally fairly well thought of. It'll be back to wall to wall poverty, inequality, and vatious "isms" before you know it.

My only complaint is that it is fluff, no substance at all. There has been no news in 8 hours, so why the need to fill airtime up with waffle?

Venod

Eh up
I have just complained to the BBC about the coverage, the same programme is on BBC1, 2 and the news channel plus BBC4 programmes are suspended, I have asked what compensation is in place for lack of service provision (I am not holding my breath) seems they have been inundated with complaints.

I have just complained to the BBC about the coverage, the same programme is on BBC1, 2 and the news channel plus BBC4 programmes are suspended, I have asked what compensation is in place for lack of service provision (I am not hoding my breath) seems they have been inundated with complaints.

Well done. I think the DG's resignation is inevitable.

Top Bottom