Things that some people do which I don't like and intend to bang on about until Hell freezes over.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
In Heat, Al Pacino's character is called Vincent Hanna, and the character shares this name with an Irish political commentator. It explains why when you search on Google for Vincent Hanna you get this:

upload_2015-1-8_13-12-20.png

U

User169

Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd agree with you there. LA Takedown is basically his blueprint for Heat, which I reckon is superior. There can't be many directors who have remade their own films.

I think I prefer LA Takedown for the more stylized look and the fuzzier plot. All this gets tightened up in Heat, but a three hour Pacino/De Niro shoutathon isn't really my thing.

I'm sure there are more director remakes (I guess largely furrin language films remade for Hollywood), but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is the Vanishing which was given a completely different (easier on the audience) ending in the Hollywood version.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
I think I prefer LA Takedown for the more stylized look and the fuzzier plot. All this gets tightened up in Heat, but a three hour Pacino/De Niro shoutathon isn't really my thing.

I'm sure there are more director remakes (I guess largely furrin language films remade for Hollywood), but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is the Vanishing which was given a completely different (easier on the audience) ending in the Hollywood version.

Fair shout on the look of LA Takedown. I still think it's a good film, but prefer Heat. Have you seen Robbery Homicide Division? It's the series Mann wanted to originally make.

You're not wrong on the johnny foreigner remakes. Pang Bros. turned Bangkok Dangerous into an English disaster and Takashi Shimizu did the same with Ju:On. I found a few others which I've not seen, but unsurprisingly it's not that common a practise.

U

User169

Fair shout on the look of LA Takedown. I still think it's a good film, but prefer Heat. Have you seen Robbery Homicide Division? It's the series Mann wanted to originally make.

You're not wrong on the johnny foreigner remakes. Pang Bros. turned Bangkok Dangerous into an English disaster and Takashi Shimizu did the same with Ju:On. I found a few others which I've not seen, but unsurprisingly it's not that common a practise.

For some reason, I didn't think Mann ever made the series! Will certainly have to hunt that out.

OP
OP
AndyRM

AndyRM

XOXO
For some reason, I didn't think Mann ever made the series! Will certainly have to hunt that out.

For some reason, a guy called Barry Schindel is credited as the creator, but Mann was executive producer and it's got his style and direction all over it.

Good luck finding it, I chanced across it on TV a couple of years ago. It's very good and could have gone on to great things, but Sizemore got busted for drugs and the game was up.

Tim Hall

Nobbers.

Top Bottom