Veloviewer geek thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
errr, what do you wanna know? Cycling history? Geek/work history?

I'm guessing you'll want to show a percentile graph rather than the position graph on your signature?

I guessed you were at Uni.

Yeah, percentile probably. Just get the damn thing working first.

sent you an email. worked fine for me in IE9 on Win7. All your rides are uploaded. Maybe time to update your software ;-)?

No, no and no. Bad web developer. Your poor coding is no excuse to tell someone to upgrade. IE 8 still has good market share, so I'd advise fixing your code. That said Strava doesn't work on the LNBs of Camino.

Ben Lowe

No, no and no. Bad web developer. Your poor coding is no excuse to tell someone to upgrade. IE 8 still has good market share, so I'd advise fixing your code. That said Strava doesn't work on the LNBs of Camino.
haha, it was a joke by the way! But just so you know, I'm not really a web developer, this is the first website I've built since about 2002. At the moment I'm playing the percentages with my prioritisations and putting my limited time into fixes and features for the majority rather than trying to cater for minorities (3% of users of veloviewer are on IE8). However I do promise check it out if I can set up a test environment at some point. That code is only a couple of weeks old and I'm afraid these things take time!

Ben Lowe

Hi Ben, can't get the sig working on bikeradar, as img has been disabled. Is there a way around this to get the sig working on there?
Hi Dave, I can't see a signature option on BikeRadar where you could have this kind of thing. Where in the "user control panel" would you expect to be able to add it?

Ben Lowe

I guessed you were at Uni.

Yeah, percentile probably. Just get the damn thing working first.
(I see you got the damn thing working!)
I wish, was at Sheffield Hallam Uni the 1st year it was a Uni (which should date me fairly well).
Building VeloViewer was really just a means to an end for me: getting me up-to-speed with cross-platform (although mainly phone/tablet device) html based development. Trying out things I haven't done before (like Henrik's suggestion above for "closest segments to where I am now" and the dynamic signature image) are likely to leapfrog less interesting fixes/features. If other people find what I've done useful then that's a bonus!

Ben Lowe

Great with the new site. Notice that several non existing segments pop up on the discover new segments button.

What about adding functionality to sort segment list ordered by distance to current GPS location. To find to closest segments to hunt for KOMs.
Hi Henrik! Check out the known issues page about the "non existing segments". Is that what you mean or do you mean the message at the end of the discover new segments process says segments have been added when none then appear?
Liking that nearest to current location ordering idea. Should work on modern desktop browsers too.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
(I see you got the damn thing working!)
I wish, was at Sheffield Hallam Uni the 1st year it was a Uni (which should date me fairly well).
Building VeloViewer was really just a means to an end for me: getting me up-to-speed with cross-platform (although mainly phone/tablet device) html based development. Trying out things I haven't done before (like Henrik's suggestion above for "closest segments to where I am now" and the dynamic signature image) are likely to leapfrog less interesting fixes/features. If other people find what I've done useful then that's a bonus!

I was in the year above you.1st year Sheffield City Poly 2nd year Sheffield Hallam Uni. Mind you most of it is a drunken blur. Lol

haha, it was a joke by the way! But just so you know, I'm not really a web developer, this is the first website I've built since about 2002. At the moment I'm playing the percentages with my prioritisations and putting my limited time into fixes and features for the majority rather than trying to cater for minorities (3% of users of veloviewer are on IE8). However I do promise check it out if I can set up a test environment at some point. That code is only a couple of weeks old and I'm afraid these things take time!

PM me on here if you have anything you're scratching your head on. I'm happy to lend you a little of my time.

DaveL

Hi Dave, I can't see a signature option on BikeRadar where you could have this kind of thing. Where in the "user control panel" would you expect to be able to add it?

You can apply a signature, but only in text form, as img is switched off ( I don't think you can turn it on ) There is a BB code option, but again because it has img in it, it doesn't work.

It was just a thought

Dave

Ben Lowe

A few more options on the signature image now so you can choose between a 1, 2 or 3 line image and choose which data you want to display. I'll add more options in the coming weeks. Takes up a bit less space now (if you want/need it too). Just visit your signature tab on the site and you should work it out easy enough.
Ben

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I'm just dropping a huge thank you to you Ben.

Stats are fabulous things. Stats shoe horned into understandable, and attractive graphs make me reach for the baby oil and tissues.

Good job sir.

Lyrical

fen x

It really depends on your target audience. There's very few reasons why you're still using IE8. Even Google Apps is dropping support for XP/IE8.

I'm sure Ben will be able to tell if IE8 support is worthwhile after some extended time with Google Analytics ;P (3%? I'd say most likely not worth building it to be perfect, maybe just looking "ok")

But calling him a bad developer because he hasn't built in IE8 support is just lol.

@Ben, sweet job so far.

It really depends on your target audience. There's very few reasons why you're still using IE8. Even Google Apps is dropping support for XP/IE8.

I'm sure Ben will be able to tell if IE8 support is worthwhile after some extended time with Google Analytics ;P (3%? I'd say most likely not worth building it to be perfect, maybe just looking "ok")

But calling him a bad developer because he hasn't built in IE8 support is just lol.

@Ben, sweet job so far.

You probably missed the humour in that. I said "bad web developer" too, you'll anger most developers by suggesting they're the same breed.

And the Google Analytics value is always forcibly lowered by the lack of support of a browser. Current percentages: http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201209-201209-bar

Top Bottom