What DIY equipment have you bought lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graham56

Guru
D5A8DE2D-DC19-463C-A3F7-8201D3220EA3.jpeg
47621DC5-8E3E-4A96-AA93-DBDADB3BC6E5.jpeg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Talking of plunge saws, the trade show I was doing last week had this guy doing the demonstrations. Very, very good at it and there were quite a few joiners bought his products.

View: https://youtu.be/-ssR59iPJYo

I've got the Festool equivalent and it's a fantastic bit of kit. The idea is the really clever thing, so although I think Festool thought it up, I dare say any lookey-likey one from a pukka brand would be good. Festool are nice though, and I see Mafell is even more buttock-clenchingly costly than Festool - which is really saying something !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My next project involves cutting a number of mortises with my trusty little router. I've been playing with templates recently, and looking online there's a number of ways to cut mortises and this appears to be the simplest...

View attachment 404990

...but the instructions stressed how important it is to line up the pin holes and the cutter perfectly, otherwise the mortise won't be centred. However, the base of my router has four screws holding the base-plate in place, two of which are already centred to the cutter... one pack of 150 m4 machine screws from the pound shop and two of these strap buttons that i had knocking about...

View attachment 404991

...which just happen to have 4mm holes, and I've got my self centering router guide without the need for any cutting, measuring, drilling or head scratching, for less than tuppence.

When I looked at that earlier in the week I couldn't figure out how pins that far apart could possibly centre on the stock, but I totally get it now. Saves the complexity of needing an adjustment. The expense of commercial jigs before you can actually do much is what put me off a router, but that is really quite clever

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
A metre length of M10 studding, and some 2.5mm thick M10 penny washers. The attempt to lift a 70kg cabinet into the loft using lifting slings with the electric hoist was ultimately successful, but pretty hairy. Plan B using rigid clamping rods will be attempted tomorrow.

How can it possibly fail...?.:hyper:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ryobi cordless impact wrench.

classic33

Leg End Member
A metre length of M10 studding, and some 2.5mm thick M10 penny washers. The attempt to lift a 70kg cabinet into the loft using lifting slings with the electric hoist was ultimately successful, but pretty hairy. Plan B using rigid clamping rods will be attempted tomorrow.

How can it possibly fail...?.:hyper:
The ones where they clamp under load are better.

bruce1530

Guru
Just bought one of these to finish off the sealant after re-furbishing our bathroom. In the past I've tried all the different methods ... wet finger, teaspoon, various commercial products but this is by far the easiest to use and gives an excellent finish. If you're embarking on a bathroom/kitchen refurb you need one of these!

View attachment 403054

The corner of a credit card also works pretty well....

Top Bottom