What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
New tyre should arrive today to replace the one I buggered last weekend. I managed 110k on it yesterday across Hants’ and Wilts’ finest surface-dressed without incident after trying to cover the exposed casing with some rubber solution, but it’s not going to last forever.

I had to hunt around a bit to find a matching replacement because I’m not a monster.

Tom B

Guru
Lashed out today and bought 2mtrs of gear outer.

Should last me a decade.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A 52T chainring as a spare plus a front carbon wheel (bought that a few days ago when on holiday). Oh, and a frame plus parts, which I picked up earlier today:

Viner_Mitus.jpg

That'll morph into my summer commuter / winter road bike over the next few weeks with a parts swap from the Dawes Giro Zwift bike I rapidly put together in November. That didn't have brakes, which this has. No rush as I'm getting thrown out of my work from May-September due to a re-fit so I'll get it done when I've sorted out a bit of space. My Raleigh SP Race has gone onto the smart turbo instead for Zwift until I can sort out a replacement for the damaged fork it currently has.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
£26 on a pair of Vittoria Rubino Pros in 28 width for my wife's Giant Alight. She wants to go a bit faster on it... replacing the Wiggle lifeline 32s should make a bit of a difference.

Thursday 20th

2 x new sets of brake-pads, for my work-bike
There's a distinct lack of friction from the front set, & a horrendous squealing, the rear are fine
(Shimano JC04 in front, 'Discobrake' in the rear
I've tried cleaning them; brake-cleaner, IPA (alcohol wipes), boiling water, lightly sanding the pads
All to no avail, so replacement fronts, & a spare pair, for whichever end needs them first ordered
https://www.discobrakes.com/index.php?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=1042&tb=001

(2 sets are far cheaper than a single Shimano set)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A pair of 'front' panniers from @Vantage. (I will be using them as rear panniers.) Strictly speaking, I bought them a week ago but RM took a week to deliver them!

I did an extended test ride to Aldi with the left pannier on my singlespeed bike. I found it incredibly easy to clip onto the bike's skinny rack and it felt very secure there. There was no heel strike while riding. The pannier was slightly rattly with my D-lock inside when I set off because I had pumped up my tyres yesterday and they were a bit too firm. Letting 5-10 psi out mid-ride made a big difference. It was good not having to mess about strapping the lock to the rack.

I bought a moderate amount of shopping, guessing how much would fit into the pannier. As you can see below, I got it spot on! The turned out to be the maximum amount of weight (including the heavy lock) that I would want hanging off one side of the bike. If I want more shopping than that I will take both panniers and split the load

Will the shopping fit the pannier?
Pannier worth of shopping.jpg

Exactly right!
Carradry pannier full of shopping.jpg

Quickly and securely reattached to the bike
Loaded pannier plus lock on singlespeed bike.jpg

The one improvement that I can make on that will be to attach the lock to the side of the pannier rather than the top. It is a heavy lock so it would be better to lower its effect on the loaded bike's centre of gravity.

It was nice not having a bag on my back while riding. I think that I will buy another of those racks for my Devon bike and buy a 3rd pannier to leave down there.

Thanks, @Vantage! :okay:

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
A pair of 'front' panniers from @Vantage. (I will be using them as rear panniers.) Strictly speaking, I bought them a week ago but RM took a week to deliver them!

I did an extended test ride to Aldi with the left pannier on my singlespeed bike. I found it incredibly easy to clip onto the bike's skinny rack and it felt very secure there. There was no heel strike while riding. The pannier was slightly rattly with my D-lock inside when I set off because I had pumped up my tyres yesterday and they were a bit too firm. Letting 5-10 psi out mid-ride made a big difference. It was good not having to mess about strapping the lock to the rack.

I bought a moderate amount of shopping, guessing how much would fit into the pannier. As you can see below, I got it spot on! The turned out to be the maximum amount of weight (including the heavy lock) that I would want hanging off one side of the bike. If I want more shopping than that I will take both panniers and split the load

Will the shopping fit the pannier?
View attachment 686250

Exactly right!
View attachment 686249

Quickly and securely reattached to the bike
View attachment 686248

The one improvement that I can make on that will be to attach the lock to the side of the pannier rather than the top. It is a heavy lock so it would be better to lower its effect on the loaded bike's centre of gravity.

It was nice not having a bag on my back while riding. I think that I will buy another of those racks for my Devon bike and buy a 3rd pannier to leave down there.

Thanks, @Vantage! :okay:
@ColinJ you do realise there are other Aldi shoppers thinking who is that sad man photographing his shopping and bike bag .^_^

ColinJ

@ColinJ you do realise there are other Aldi shoppers thinking who is that sad man photographing his shopping and bike bag .^_^
Out of the corner of my eye, I did actually spot a young woman nudge her pal as they passed me doing so! :blush:

I just thought it might be helpful for anybody trying to decide what size panniers to buy. I nearly bought some much bigger ones. They would have been way too big for my purposes (shopping trips and carrying tools/spares/'fuel'/extra cycle clothing on rides).

I know that feeling: it's a bit strange at first not having a backpack; I kept thinking I'd forgotten it.

On that subject, is the "3rd pannier to leave in Devon" a logistical plan, or a way of accepting that you'll forget a bag somewhere so you may as well plan for it?

ColinJ

I know that feeling: it's a bit strange at first not having a backpack; I kept thinking I'd forgotten it.
Yes, I did feel that a couple of times yesterday. I normally have this on my back on every ride...

New cycling backpack.jpg

On that subject, is the "3rd pannier to leave in Devon" a logistical plan, or a way of accepting that you'll forget a bag somewhere so you may as well plan for it?
It is because I normally cart that backpack down there and back every trip. It is quite small, but I also carry a fully loaded 35 L rucksack so it is a nuisance having another bag to carry, and I worry that I will leave it at a station or on a train. For the same reason, I don't want to cart one of my new panniers back and forth.

I am having 4 holidays in Devon a year now so I am building up a stock of things which I leave down there between visits. I have a dedicated Devon bike, which is really handy. I will eventually have so much stuff down there that I can travel with just a smaller rucksack for my laptop, tablet, and a few other bits and pieces.

Top Bottom