What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Garmin cadence and speed sensor for my 13yo's race bike
2 sets of Swisstop brake pads
A new track chainwhip
and an 8 speed chain to hit the £100 at Chain Reaction before a 10% BC discount.

I bought a pair of Planet X winter overshoes on sale at £10. They are Velcro rather than zip so should last a while. Fingers crossed for some warm feet! :okay:
I found them great for a while then for some reason the toe kept on lifting off (maybe it was the shape of my feet/shoes :-/ )

As to what I bought for the bike today, I don't know if it counts as bought for the bike but I've just bought my club membership. I do hope they let me back in, they have done for the last 6 years but BC makes out you are buying a new club membership and not renewing :laugh:

the stupid one

Über Member
Damn you, Planet X, and your evil mailing list.

Clicked the link to have a look (just a look - very definitely!) at the titanium bikes, then foolishly followed a pop-up to the sale, then thought about my last ride . . . and ordered gloves and a cap and more gloves, another pair of gloves (my son has started nicking them) a chain brush, and a couple of wall hangers.

Paid. Realised I'd forgotten something very expensive which I need to pay for and that I have no income currently. D'oh.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Damn you, Planet X, and your evil mailing list.

Clicked the link to have a look (just a look - very definitely!) at the titanium bikes, then foolishly followed a pop-up to the sale, then thought about my last ride . . . and ordered gloves and a cap and more gloves, another pair of gloves (my son has started nicking them) a chain brush, and a couple of wall hangers.

Paid. Realised I'd forgotten something very expensive which I need to pay for and that I have no income currently. D'oh.
Oh dear, an all to familiar scenario leading to very funny feeling in pit of stomach :sad:

bpsmith

Veteran
Ultegra 6800 11-25 11 speed cassette at Merlins Cycles. Already cheap at £39.99, but a further £5.99 discount applied at checkout, plus I had another £5 discount from the excellent loyalty scheme when I spent £50. Winner!

Heigue'r

Veteran
Ultegra 6800 11-25 11 speed cassette at Merlins Cycles. Already cheap at £39.99, but a further £5.99 discount applied at checkout, plus I had another £5 discount from the excellent loyalty scheme when I spent £50. Winner!

11-25 6800 ultegra cassette
Kmc x11 chain

Nice 1 @bpsmith ,have been meaning to treat the bike to some new bits.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Will do. They fitted perfectly straightaway.

Bag - https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-City-Pannier-Bag_70711.htm
Rack - https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tortec-Transalp-Disc-Rear-Pannier-Rack_36833.htm

I was worried when I ordered the rack about the size as it said it was for 26” wheels and I have 27.5”, but there’s lots of clearance above the wheel. The rack doesn’t come with any reflectors or lights. There is a space for screwing either of these on though.

The Giant City bag is a little fiddly to attach and detach, but I like that to be honest as it’d take a thief an extra minute to take off the bag from the rack which could make all the difference in stopping the blighter. There are 8 Velcro straps. The material appears to be a laminated fabric for water resistance / waterproofing (proof is in the pudding). The opening flaps are the length of the bag from top to bottom (seal with Velcro), and the length of material between the two saddle bags forms a handle so you can carry it around with you. Each saddle bag has one corner shortened to stop your heels catching when peddling. There is a small reflective strip sewn into each bag end for safety where you can also clip some cheap Iights on. I also think the piping is reflective too. And lastly, there are plastic inserts for the bottom of each bag to help hold the shape.

I’ll report back after a road test.

I also got £5 discount for spending over £30 using the code TZESU5OFF.

Had my first ride out today with the new pannier rack and bag, so I’m reporting back as promised.

After a 12-mile ride, the rack is solid and still bolted tightly to the frame, no loosening at all.

The bags performed well. They were completely filthy by the time I returned home, but cleaned up nicely due to the laminate on the material. The recessed corners stopped the heels of my feet catching on the bags. The long bag lids helped keep everything inside dry. The Velcro straps held true throughout including over some very bumpy ground keeping the pannier bags firmly in place on the rack.

All in all, I’m very pleased with both rack and bags. A great buy and very easy to fit.

Top Bottom