What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

With my new wheels arriving soon, yesterday I bought a cassette removal tool, chain whip and a chain breaker. I test rode another bike a few weeks ago and it made me realise how underpowered my current brakes are, so while I was at Decathlon I picked up a pair of brake pads. Now, I had only had a few hours sleep, and it didn’t occur to me until I was on the way home I bought a pair of brake pads, as in, one pair....for two wheels.. good one, so I’ll have to go and get another set of brake pads at some point. I also looked to get some kind of chain degreaser but they had nothing in stock :sad:

MntnMan62

Über Member
I picked up a Specialized Phenom Expert saddle for my mountain bike. I already have one on my road bike and love it. It's rated highly for road and mountain so I see no reason not to have the same saddle on both bikes. Now the two most imortant connections to the bike will be the same for both my bikes. Phenom Expert saddle on both and Time ATAC Alium clipless pedals on both. Now it's time for a new pair of shoes. Got sized for a pair of Specialized Recon 1.0 shoes. Now I just have to find someone with my size in stock in black.

razabbs

Well,the new wheels arrived from Hunts. They look great, and they're light AF, but jesus christ am I having issues.

All went swimmingly moving the cassette over and re-indexing gears. It was difficult to get the tyres(Michelin pro Endurance 4's) on to the wheels initially so I used a tyre lever as a bit of help. Turns out in both cases I'd pinched the inner tube when I did this and had to replace both inner tubes. Nice one!

So, on to inner tube 3, I managed to do the same, so I was like right, ok, no tyre levers. (this is 3 hours in to it, now)

At some point in the day I'd noticed my (almost brand new) track pump from decathlon isn't registering any pressure until about 30 psi, then it was registering ok, so i assumed it was working fine once above 30psi.

4th and 5th inner tubes we're at now. I've got a blister on my thumb from struggling so much to get the tyres on to the wheels, I'm pissed off already, I just want it done so I can actually ride them before winter.

So we go again, no tyre levers, get the tyres on and tentatively pump them up. Success! They're holding air!

So, on to the bike we go, and start pumping up. Nothing until about 30 psi on the pump, then it registers ok. Right, shall i go 90 psi? Nah i normally go 100 on my others, so we'll go 100. 100 on each, lovely. Put the cap on the rear *BANG* and an unmistakable rush of air. fark off.

I don't know exactly what happened, but it sounds as if the valve gave way.

Now i'm beyond pissed off, just completely fed up. I'm venting to a friend about how I cannot be farked, fed up etc. *BANG*, Another unmistakable rush of air. The front had decided it didn't want air in it either.

Cheers, Nice one.

5 inner tubes punctured so far and I still don't have a set of usable wheels. I wanted to see what had happened in the front but I can't even get the tyre off now so this shoot will wait until another day. Probably farking April when the weather picks up.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A Lusso Leggero thermal jacket, Northwave winter boots for the SPD equipped bikes and some Five Tens for use with the MTB & flatbar bikes

This, to get the Revell crank bolts off...

razabbs

My rant from yesterday

Today I've ordered some puncture repair kits and new inner tubes, think I know the issue; hopefully all the inner tubes I went through can be repaired, at least.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was a couple of days ago, and it hasn't arrived yet, but THIS left SPD pedal! My £5 offer was accepted. (My old pedal's bearings feel so knackered that I am sure the races will be damaged too. I was going to try to service the pedal but cut myself trying to get inside and promptly gave up! :laugh:)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was a couple of days ago, and it hasn't arrived yet, but THIS left SPD pedal! My £5 offer was accepted. (My old pedal's bearings feel so knackered that I am sure the races will be damaged too. I was going to try to service the pedal but cut myself trying to get inside and promptly gave up! :laugh:)
The pedal arrived today, a day earlier than expected. The surfaces are scratched but that was as explained and shown on the ebay listing. The bearings feel really good and I'm sure that the SPD mechanism itself will be fine - I've never had a problem over the past 20 years on 4 or 5 sets of SPD pedals. £5 well spent!

I have since managed to get the old pedal apart so I may try to sort that out after all. If I do fix the old pedal, I'll have to look out for a used RH pedal to match the one that I have just bought! :laugh: I will be needing another 1 or 2 pairs of SPD pedals for my next couple of bike projects.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Got a couple of SS base layers from decathlon via post as i dont have a full weeks worth and the ones i have are starting to show their age being grey rather than white

Top Bottom