What have you bought for the bike today ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Aha! Do you mean you’ve recharged your bike battery, or have you splurged out on a new steed?

The splurging was already done
Topped up the battery.

Why do the chargers need to be so cumbersome. Would be a lot easier if the charger was smaller, built in. Then my range would only be limited by my ability to find a 13A socket.
Assume the wires might glow if we used mobile phone charging points. Or take a very long time. Municipal car charging points might be something else altogether.

Tenkaykev

Guru
The splurging was already done
Topped up the battery.

Why do the chargers need to be so cumbersome. Would be a lot easier if the charger was smaller, built in. Then my range would only be limited by my ability to find a 13A socket.
Assume the wires might glow if we used mobile phone charging points. Or take a very long time. Municipal car charging points might be something else altogether.

There's the trade off between power delivery and time. The power supply has to deliver a charge to the battery while monitoring the current flow, state of battery charge, temperature etc in order to protect the battery and the charger. Faster chargers deliver more current in the same time, but need heavier duty components so as not to overheat. If it was built in then you would be carrying the weight of the charger which would reduce the range. I just weighed the 2A charger on my Brompton, it comes in at 450g, the 4A Rapid charger weighs 770g ( there's only £15 difference in cost, having said that, a slower charge is a cooler charge and should help battery longevity )

CharleyFarley

Bought nothing, today, but my most recent purchase was five tubes of patch glue because the tubes that come in patch kits are always half-empty. Had to wait several weeks for them because of the supply chain from China but well worth it. I even got to use some a few days ago. My front tire on my fat bike was losing about 8 lb of pressure in a week. An outside inspection of the tire show nothing that might have pierced it but when I ran my fingers around the inside, I touched something very sharp but could hardly see it. It was an extremely tiny point off a sand burr that had gone into the tread (the tires are road tires). Anyway, the tube was full, and the glue a little more runny than usual, but dried quickly and has done a great job.

rivers

How far can I go?
A set of Sonder Spitfire flared drop bars for my gravel bike. The conversion from gentle off-road to full on off-road gravel machine continues.
Also ordered a new small chainring, the old one was worn and a 15 litre topeak backloader. My West Country Way kit set-up testing will commence shortly

Brava210

Über Member
I bought a new Mips Giro helmet.
It came with a free Crease....

20220525_134136.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Some cheap bar ends for the MTB as one on my mates has suggested we ride the South Downs Way on MTBs. I forgot how uncomfortable flat bars are, having not rode one for a good while.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I bought a new Mips Giro helmet.
It came with a free Crease....

View attachment 646212

That looks a bit like my Abus helmet after I’d slowly toppled sideways hitting my head against a wooden fence. In my defence, I was cycling home from the local brewery Taproom 🍺

8mph

Veteran
In preparation for my Trek 7300 fx build I bought:

Tektro mini v - brake set

Jagwire brake + gear cables

2 x Clarks triple compound brake pads

42mm Continental Travel Contact Tyres

DMR V6 pedals

Quite a big splurge but the bike itself was £5 and came with a few good parts. It's my first alloy frame build, hopefully I'll have a half decent gravel / tourer bike by the end.

Last edited:

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
In preparation for my Trek 7300 fx build I bought:

Tektro mini v - brake set

Jagwire brake + gear cables

2 x Clarks triple compound brake pads

42mm Continental Travel Contact Tyres

DMR V6 pedals

Quite a big splurge but the bike itself was £5 and came with a few good parts. It's my first alloy frame build, hopefully I'll have a half decent gravel / tourer bike by the end.

I know that feeling, my Holdsworth cost me £30 and I suspect I have spent £300 ish on it. However I do have a bike I love riding customised for me and all fixable by me is required.

I'm running 700c wheels on it for now, but have 26 to go back on it for the winter.

Top Bottom