Yearly Targets for 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do people count mile on trainers as miles ridden?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog

I do for my total mileage as I consider the form and fitness work integral. And I wouldn’t be as motivated to do the indoor training. That’s part of the carrot to me anyway.

For the Mile Eaters Challenge I’m doing with Audax UK, they will only consider your outdoor mileage for the pot.

It’s up to you at the end of the day when all is said and done. Know what I mean? Yeah!

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
For a second then i thought you meant walking for miles in training shoes.:smile: Yes turbo trainer/exercise/static bike miles count as far as i'm concerned. My average speed on my exercise bike is way below my 'proper bike' speed,so to me it's harder cycling indoors than outdoors. Probably because as soon as you stop pedaling your miles stop being clocked up. You can't enjoy a clocking up the miles downhill experience on them like you can on a real bike. I probably only do about 300 to 400 miles of indoor cycling a year (hey wait a minute,that's a fair amount!:scratch:) but i still write those miles down in my exercise/cycling diaries.

TigerT

Veteran
Set myself a target of 1500km’s (previous highest was 1400 about 5 years ago). Also wanted to be able to do a 100km ride again.

So far have exceeded expectations by some way mainly thanks to training once a week with a Personal Trainer and a change of diet.

Currently up to 3070km’s including 12 metric 100’s and 1 imperial 100.

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine was 2500. I hit 3100 about 10 days ago. Was hoping to crack on towards 4000 but I've done something to my back and I can't ride :sad:
Not sure how many more I'll manage this year as I also have a 3 week holiday. Still 600 more than last year.

That's all on road none of those pretend trainer or gym miles :whistle:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Didn't have a mileage target at the start of the year, but currently around 7500 miles, so would be nice to hit 10k again.
Set myself another couple of challenges though, 50km a day for 50 consecutive days, which I completed earlier this year & then to tackle 50 climbs, but I've been struggling to get to do 50, due to various reasons, reckon I might just get over 30 of the climbs done by the end of the year, so I'll carry that challenge forward into next year to complete it, just means I've to keep a good level of fitness through winter again :blush:

fatjel

Veteran
Have done 1600 km which is surprisingly high cos it feels like I gave up cycling
Mostly CCs 50k a month challenge has kept me going

10000 less than last year tho

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Definitely not. I'm not sure about e-bike miles either - do you reduce them depending on the level of assistance used?
Why definitely not i ask? You're doing the same pedaling,doing the same sweating (If not more as you're inside in the warm usually:heat::sweat:) and getting your heart rate up (ok maybe not to the same high rate as 'proper cycling') As for e-bikes i'd say yes the miles count, but perhaps half them or knock off a third of the actual amount when you total up. :smile:

si_c

Guru
I count indoor miles towards my personal objectives in terms of training and fitness building, but I wouldn't count them for the purposes of comparison with others. Strava includes them in the total - which is why I use MyCyclingLog to track miles properly.

As a side note, I've just looked at my rides for the year, and I've only done 5 rides over 50miles. Which is pretty pathetic really given I had such lofty ambitions for the year!!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I also don't have a mileage target as such. The main specific target is at least two imperial centuries in each calendar month - qualifying rides under the terms of the ICAM challenge - and barring illness or injury I'll do that.

I've noticed I'm approching 100 centuries since starting to record via GPS (February 2016) and if I get a move on I could do it in under 1000 days. That would be neat, but just at the moment I don't feel I can give quite enough priority and I might have to settle for under 3 years.

The quality of rides (I'm not attempting to define that) has been good this year, but they get inexorably slower.

nickAKA

Über Member
Didn't set a distance target as such but I wanted to 'conquer' all my local climbs this year. I've done them all bar 2, I'm doing one of them next weekend which will leave one particulary steep effort with some nasty, narrow, twisty bits to go. Need to do it before the roads get icy but it's the only one I'm truly dreading... keep telling myself it's all in the mind...
Did my first couple of centuries which was a milestone passed, lots of zwift miles in my total so can't properly claim those but going from maybe 1000 miles last year to practically 3000 this year is a big improvement.
For the first time I actually felt like a genuine cyclist rather than a POB last weekend, held my own in a group ride and actually overtook someone going up a long climb I used to detest... I'm calling this progress!

Top Bottom