Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ran a half marathon distance yesterday so decided today was a bike day. Got the full Lycra on and out on the Defy 3. Headed out on the route 76 farm roads behind Skinflats then past Letham and into Larbert and Stenhousemuir. I cut through Camelon cemetery and headed home on the newly surfaced paths along the river Carron with a quick look at the big horse's heids. Looks like I drew a Strava camel :okay:

https://www.strava.com/activities/357271229

View attachment 98214 View attachment 98215 View attachment 98216 View attachment 98217
You have to like those horses! Still waiting for the Kent one to be made,

Garry A

Calibrating.....
You have to like those horses! Still waiting for the Kent one to be made,

Have one of ours, we've got two and that's more than enough :laugh:

IDMark2

Dodgy Aerial
The sun was out but the temperature wasn't in on the summer vibe, the wind carried a fair chill in it today. Even so it was still shorts and short sleeves but arm warmers were ready for extended cloudy bits.
I'm lucky in that networks of lanes around me can be used with scarcely any sign of traffic, even luckier that the main busy holiday areas of Devon all lie to the West and on any of the coasts. I can potter away for hours, as I did today, just accompanied by the sounds of the countryside going on, a buzzards call, harvesters working in the fields. I was even free of the dreaded supermarket delivery vans imagining themselves to be some sort of desperately needed emergency service today. I took the heavier but more relaxed, tourer appointed Revolt and tried to resist making it go as fast as possible. My times up the climbs show me being successful at that.

61k, 831 meters of hills and a pleasant cake and banana eating spot by a bridge over the River Otter.:smile:
DSC00135.jpg

DSC00119.jpg
DSC00141.jpg DSC00121.jpg

SteveF

Did my local loop but only in reverse, it really shouldn't make much difference but the hills (I know they aren't exactly massive) do seem harder this way round!
Horndon loop - reversed.png

Interesting one, as I got near East Tilbury Station the road has islands in the middle. Am quite happy to sit to the left for the most part but will take "primary position" going past the islands. Was doing about 20kph and there were a couple of cars behind me, they were patient, but there again the islands were quite spaced out and I move to left when passed them to let people through.

Anyway, coming up to one of the islands I heard the gunning of a diesel engine (don't know why but knew it was a van), was a tad concerned as I knew there wasn't enough room for him to go past me (being in primary position and all that) only to see him shoot past on the other side of the island, there wasn't anything coming the other way but pretty foolhardy none the less! Am actually pretty happy that there were a few cars between the van and I, I doubt he would have tried to go past but I do wonder.

Captain Scarlet

Über Member
Well I've not been on the road bike for 6 weeks or so. Mainly to due to high temps/wind or rain combined with working till 6.30pm most days.

Anyway seeing as we're on holiday in Mallorca my brother in law and I decided to hire bikes and set off for the day. It was rather windy and the last 8 miles or so were straight into the wind. The saving grace was due to the heat and the fact I'm on holiday we had hired electrically assisted hybrids. A rather brilliant idea to allow us to see more than we otherwise might.

The left Can Picafort and our hotel and headed North along the cost roads to Alcudia and eventually onto Port de Pollenca. A beautiful part of the world and saw everything for lite surfers to beach goers and roadkill lol.

But it was mostly blue skies and getting hotter after our departure time of 9.30am.

After reaching Port de Pollenca we headed for the hairpin bend laden road up the mountain heading further north known as Serra de Tramuntana or Formentor assent to the 1st view point on route to Piedra. A stunning road with views to match, and some much nicer to have a little help up being on holiday.

After a few photos and a drink we headed back down the mountain and headed for a lunch stop in Pollenca. We found a nice hotel serving food in a central square along with a lovely ice cold lager . Not perfect fuel but did the job.

After lunch a bit more electric assist was used as we headed inland towards Sa Pobla through the hills. Finally stopping there for doughnuts and water and a top up of the sun cream and then heading towards Muro. Turning left just before we reached the centre took us back to Can Picafort.

In total 47.7 lovely miles in a moving time of 4hrs 14 mins. A nicely paced little tour which included some slower sections to look at the views, chat to other Brits on hired bikes and general traffic.

So here are a few pictures

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 56

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Home at an almost sensible time tonight, so out for a cheeky ride before tea.
Just time for a circuit round local roads, then a quick full speed run down Manston Lane into the countryside, before looping back round and up to home.
10.56 miles, 41 mins at an average speed of 15.4mph.
As I haven't been out on the bike since Sunday (combination of work and rubbish weather), I pushed a bit harder than usual and managed two PBs as well - not bad for a Thursday. :okay:

gavgav

Guru
After my longest ride of the year on the Legend of Gelert on Sunday (83miles) when I knew I had more in the tank as I rolled into the finish at Rhos-on-Sea Golf Club, and after a week of continuous emails and work tasks when I'm only supposed to work 1 day a week, I felt the need to get away from the computer. A stab at an imperial century was calling - my first since major spinal surgery in 2010 left me paralysed for a while, and 5 months off work.

So, looking at Thursday's f/c from Monday onwards, I'd contemplated a trip through @Rickshaw Phil territory, hoping I could get in and out un-noticed.

I'd also tweaked my Defy since Sunday, fitting a new XT Shadow rear mech and a left-over 11-34 cassette to give me more options on the hills. At 61 and 100kg (all muscle, honest! :whistle:), I need to look after the only pair of knees I have. Wiggle etc don't seem to sell new knees..... A quick 7 miles last night proved that all worked OK, so no excuse not to try for the century. After putting to bed all the work-issues and emails on Wednesday, I knew the century had to be on - if nothing else to work the knots out of my back muscles and forget about work.

After my usual pre big--ride muesli, yoghurt and honey breakfast, I hit the road at 0730, heading west (and into the wind) for Overton, Gobowen (where I spent 6 weeks flat on my back in the orthopaedic hospital's spinal injuries unit) and on south through the Shropshire lanes through Ryton and into Phil country and Shrewsbury. Much cooler than I expected from the BBC f/cast and didn't stop on NCR81 by the Severn for refueling, but headed on east now through Upton Magna and on to Wellington (for my first visit). Apologies if you live there, but next time I'll find an alternative route. Stopped for a very good soup and sandwich in Newport before heading back into the brisk NW wind to take the lumpy cycle route up through Market Drayton and Audlem, before launching out across the Cheshire Plain round the back of Wrenbury and home. 104 miles, 8hrs 07 moving, av 12.8. Would have been nice not to have dropped below 13mph average, but the brisk headwind and the hills between Newport and Audlem took their toll. Didn't help that once at Market Drayton I felt "home" (stupidly, with 27 miles to go) and forgot to keep eating. Realised the mistake 15 miles from home and guzzled my third flapjack, a handful of wine gums and finished the last of my SIS drink bottle. That did the trick and some 'go' returned.

The revised gearing proved to be just what the knee doctor would have ordered had I kept on trying to grind up the local hills, can easily sit and spin up anything I've seen today, and would expect to see locally. Some Shropshire audaxes beckon now I think.

Now, as that was only 23-odd miles short of a 200k, maybe I need to look to do that before putting the Defy to bed for the winter once our rural roads get clogged with cowsh!t and mud as the dark nights approach and the 'bent comes out to play again.

Shall not be late to bed tonight, and as the wife has bought new sheets, duvet cover and duvet for our new bed, that's a very enticing prospect!

Night night!
With you on the Wellington front!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have finally got round to upgrading my CAADX and went out on a little test ride this afternoon. It was nice and sunny so I felt like doing a longish ride, but I had arranged to meet just_fixed (the former 'bromptonfb') for an evening road ride, so I couldn't be out too long.

Ride #1: I chose to do a warmup along the Rochdale canal towpath in the sunshine ...

CAADX by bridge over Rochdale Canal.jpg

... then cross the A646 and climb up Duke Street/Eastwood Lane, and finally dash home on the road.

Now, Duke Street isn't really a street, and Eastwood Lane isn't much of a lane either, but Sat-Nav programmers perhaps can be forgiven for thinking that they are public roads. They are NOT! They are actually steep, rough farm tracks which are effectively a private road, but one which is classified as a public bridleway. Hence me heading up there on a cyclocross bike, and why the locals are not happy for people to drive up there. Especially in large vehicles!

So, you are told that right at the bottom, in no uncertain terms ...

Private road ahead.jpg

(The Long Causeway is the top road to Burnley from Hebden Bridge. It is a scenic alternative to the A646 in good weather, but this is not the right way to get up to it in a motor vehicle.)

And in case you didn't get that ...

Sat-Navs Burnley that way.jpg

... ignore your Sat-Nav and follow the A646 to Burnley (the road on the left of the photo).

No, honestly, your Sat-Nav is trying to get you into trouble ...

Warning - no Sat-Nav shortcut.jpg

.... but you follow it under the railway bridge and drive up Duke Street anyway.

I'll be blunt - if you ignore these warnings too, then ...

Too stupid to drive.jpg

YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO DRIVE! :laugh:

Anyway, enough of that! I was enjoying my new low gears. The bridleway gets steeper and steeper as it ascends towards Great Rock. It used to be a test of skill as well as fitness because the surface was very broken up and covered in boulders, potholes, cracks, gravel etc. but it got 'sanitised' a while back. The roughest parts were resurfaced in tarmac or concrete. Now it is really just a test of fitness.

I really appreciated my new 34/36 bottom gear - I don't think I would have got up there on the old 36/30 gear.

I made the mistake of stopping to take a photo for you lot ...

CAADX on steep bridleway looking towards Stoodley Pike.jpg

... and then struggled to get going again! As usual, the photo does not show just how steep the bridleway is.

When I emerged onto the road below Great Rock, I stopped and slumped over the handlebars, gasping for breath, much to the amusement of a driver who had stopped up there for a quick cigarette break!

Time was getting on so I rushed home for a quick bike change. My 7 mile test ride went well, and I look forward to doing longer ones soon.

Ride #2: Whizzed up the A646 to meet just_fixed near the outskirts of Burnley, then did a loop together back along the Rossendale valley and over the hill from Bacup back to Todmorden where we parted company. 26 miles covered in that ride.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
@Gravity Aided , Just seen your photos of your Raleigh Sport on your PB page, nice photos. Have you checked out the date stamp on your rear hub of that bike?

A short ride to the shops and bank today, 6.34 mile round trip, along the railway embankments again, but a slight detour back through East Hagbourne, Coscote and West Hagbourne..

View attachment 98218
A nice gentle ride on the Kingpin, it only comes out to play when the road are dry.

View attachment 98219
The old railway route.
View attachment 98220
Nice timber framed house in Coscote
View attachment 98221
The railway embankment in the distance.

View attachment 98222
There are several of those old Victorian bridges along the path built so the farmers could have access to the land. They must have cost a fortune.
View attachment 98223
Typical of the views around here, aren't I lucky.
View attachment 98224
Spot the butterflies

View attachment 98225
Actually, I was the one who told the restorer it was a 1973, and the bicycle shop. They thought it was from the 1950's. I took one look at it, and saw a Rampar device on the seat tube and the "new" typeface on "Sports " on the chainguard. Then we had a look at the SA hub, and I showed them where a date stamp was. I cannot say I knew this right off. I learned most of this on CC. The graphics I just remembered, and confirmed by a look up-http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_RS_1973.html

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member

View attachment 98295

... and then struggled to get going again! As usual, the photo does not show just how steep the bridleway is.

That's a new excuse for stopping for a rest.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks pretty steep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScotiaLass

Guru
What a ride!!
I went out with my two lads and the youngests' dad, with the plan of riding up the towpaths to the trails.
We did just that and had a blast around the shorter trail and then hit some natural trails on the way back to the towpaths.

18.5 miles in all, I was low on energy at one point but ate my fruit and kept going. I absolutely loved the down sections, and left the lads behind me, but they caught me up on the inclines!
Nevertheless it was a fantastic ride, even if my back is aching now (forgot to take my painkillers beforehand!)
It stayed dry with a little shower on the way home, but we were all still grinning, so it didn't matter!
Now showered, had lunch and guess what? I'm still grinning!

2015-07-31 12.55.05.png

Me - ready to rock and roll!

2015-07-31 12.56.37.png

Me and the boys at the end of the second run...

20150731_112917.png

Heading for some natural trails on the way home

2015-07-31 12.57.11.png

Happy me!

2015-07-31 12.57.38.png

The babies are getting big!

BSRU

A Human Being
An easy but quick(for me) 105km with 910m of going up today, what I would call a flat course with just one reasonable climb which I ride up after 95km.
My twelfth 100+km ride this year, only did five last year, the advantages of working part time:okay:.
Absolutely freezing when I left, only +7:cold: and it took a long while to warm up.
A bit hot in the last hour as I couldn't be bothered with stopping to change to more appropriate short sleeve top, paid for it later when going up the only climb:sweat::sweat:.

Rode past a group of riders who some seemed to be answering a call from nature(not in the picture:tongue:).
C0093(3a).jpg

At least it ended up warm and sunny:sun:.
C0093(5).jpg

Recovery started with some home made cake and cookies^_^.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

View attachment 98295

That's a new excuse for stopping for a rest.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha ha! :laugh:
Looks pretty steep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This photo was taken from the top of the bridleway where it meets the road below Great Rock. The red circle is round some buildings beside the A646 valley road, from which I had just climbed up. I think it gives a better impression of the elevation gained.

Steep Eastwood Lane bridleway down to Duke Street.jpg

Top Bottom