Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
100 miles for me today with @400bhp , comprising of a ride over from Cheshire to Sheffield via Castleton, Hope and Hathersage. Lunch at the cafe at Endcliffe Park in Sheffield, where apparently I took a photo of @dan_bo s mate "Wavey Davey Gravey" !:eek: Excellent lunch consisting of a cheesburger, chips, a salad and an ice cold coke. No guilt on a long ride. :blush:
media?size=l.jpg

Then back via the 5 mile climb out of Sheffield to Stoney Ridge then a fast descent into Hathersage, cutting across to the Snake, stopping for a quick drink at the Snake Pass Inn. :cheers: Then down through Glossop and Marple. Arrived back in Wilmslow and decided that it would be rude not to stick an extra 14 miles on the ride to complete the imperial 100 so grabbed a bannana and a fresh drink and went for a quick loop locally to finish the job.
A cracking ride with near perfect weather. :sun:Average 18 mph plus so not too slow for a hilly 100. :smile: and back in time for the London road race. Can't be bad. :biggrin:
I shared a flat with that farker for three years.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's another new month (where is this year going?) so I went out to get my August Imperial Century in.

With the forecast showing a southerly wind strengthening through the day it made sense to head south first and have a bit of assistance when I turned north again so I had my usual earlyish start and headed out to do the reverse of the Ludlow route from last time.

It was a bit damp and overcast out but the light wind made it easy going to start with. I headed over Lyth Hill to Condover then through Pitchford to Acton Burnell as going this way adds about 4 miles compared to going more directly. Next was the climb up Folly Bank and over to Cardington before descending into Wall and taking the lanes to climb over Wenlock Edge.

Wenlock Edge is generally steeper to climb from the north so I took it easy in a low gear to try and keep the legs as fresh as possible then rewarded myself at the top with my second breakfast.:hungry:

Seifton Batch followed then I was on my way to Ludlow which was as quiet as you'd expect for a sunday morning. There is a market on though which aready had a few people browsing.

Next up was my third serious climb of the day through the Mortimer Forest. From this side the climb is longer but less steep (with the exception of the first bit out of Ludlow) and I was able to catch and pass another rider. I decided not to take the direct route to Leintwardine but to explore the lanes through Elton and Leinthall Starkes (pretty little villages).

Turning north I could feel the wind helping me along, which was just as well as I went for another exploration to Clungunford and found it's quite a lumpy bit of road to get there (9mph up the hill and 30 mph down the other side :hyper:)

A gateway with a view did for an elevenses stop and then it was onwards to Purslow, Kempton, Lydbury North and Bishop's Castle. The road to Montgomery was fantastic going in this directiion and the bike seemed to just fly along. I may have been doing this route all wrong previously, although it's not that often we get a southerly wind here.

I had a lunch stop in Montgomery then enjoyed a fast (for me) ride up the valley to Westbury, Halfway House and Melverley. The wind assistance had to end eventually and it did when turning east after Melverley. I was feeling it in the legs as well by this point so was getting a bit slow on the climbs.

I could have just headed straight home after Great Ness (would have been marginal hitting the 100 miles) but despite being tired wanted to get a good mileage in so I did a loop round the north of Shrewsbury viaYeaton, Walford Heath, Hadnall, Astley and Upton Magna. I was struggling a bit at this point, especially as I was riding into a strong headwind as I turned towards the south, but breaking open the jelly babies around the 95 mile mark helped and I'd perked up a bit by Upton Magna.

The final section was on very familiar roads as it's one of my regular commuting routes. I cut the corner to avoid going into Condover again and had the directly wind behind me for the last couple of miles which made this bit surprisingly swift.

A great ride with a little bit of wildlife en-route (a hare and a red kite). I may not be moving about much later on.

114.2 miles at 13.6 mph average. A new second longest ride and possibly my quickest century to date (I'll have to check what I managed previously).

DSC0002595.jpg

Crossing Lyth Hill at the start of the ride.

DSC0002597.jpg

Looking back towards Cardington and whats visible of the Stretton Hills, which look very moody this morning.

DSC0002598.jpg

One of the farms after Wall

DSC0002601.jpg

Ludlow

DSC0002606.jpg

"Clunton and Clunbury,
Clungunford and Clun,
Are the quiestest places,
Under the sun"

So says A.E. Housman. The photo is the well known Rocke Cottage tea rooms just outside Clungunford.

DSC0002608.jpg

Bishop's Castle

DSC0002612.jpg

No problem with my lunch stop at Montgomery this time.:okay:

DSC0002616.jpg

Much later in the ride: looking at the Wrekin from Haughmond Hill.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Today's ride was with the boy wonder and my brother Keith.

We rolled out of Hardwick and made our way through sleepy Cambridge, off through Cherry Hinton past the folk festival, someone playing pipes outside a sea of tents..... Bet they were popular!
Oh to Balsham were Thomas first went to school
image.jpg

And on through West Wratting where we once lived. We rolled into Suffolk, this place blows me away with it's pretty villages and the roads are so quiet..... But not flat. The other 2 were moaning about my route choice!
We eventually found ourselves in Hawstead and our destination
image.jpg

We made our return on a similar route until Fulbourn, then we went south of Cambridge.
The last 30 miles were tough for the boy, but we had a fantastic day, silly sun tans and all!

image.jpg

image.jpg

102 miles for the day.

https://www.strava.com/activities/359699913

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Just a nice little leg stretcher this afternoon after a day in Abington Park for lunch, a wander around the museum and a few hours in the play area with the Grandchildren. Once we'd loaded the car up with a weekendsworth of stuff, there was only room for the Mrs so the rest of us walked the half mile
When we got home, we discovered more stuff, (medicine, a feeding bottle and some clothes), so I said I'd pop it over on the bike.
15 miles later, riding via Sywell, Overstone, Holcot and Moulton village, I returned home :whistle:

DSC_1789.JPG

Well, I really had to take full advantage a lovely day like today!

15 miles in lovely weather, with a bit of a breeze to ride into on the open field roads from Holcot to Moulton.

https://www.strava.com/activities/359693335

:smile:

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's another new month (where is this year going?) so I went out to get my August Imperial Century in.

With the forecast showing a southerly wind strengthening through the day it made sense to head south first and have a bit of assistance when I turned north again so I had my usual earlyish start and headed out to do the reverse of the Ludlow route from last time.

It was a bit damp and overcast out but the light wind made it easy going to start with. I headed over Lyth Hill to Condover then through Pitchford to Acton Burnell as going this way adds about 4 miles compared to going more directly. Next was the climb up Folly Bank and over to Cardington before descending into Wall and taking the lanes to climb over Wenlock Edge.

Wenlock Edge is generally steeper to climb from the north so I took it easy in a low gear to try and keep the legs as fresh as possible then rewarded myself at the top with my second breakfast.:hungry:

Seifton Batch followed then I was on my way to Ludlow which was as quiet as you'd expect for a sunday morning. There is a market on though which aready had a few people browsing.

Next up was my third serious climb of the day through the Mortimer Forest. From this side the climb is longer but less steep (with the exception of the first bit out of Ludlow) and I was able to catch and pass another rider. I decided not to take the direct route to Leintwardine but to explore the lanes through Elton and Leinthall Starkes (pretty little villages).

Turning north I could feel the wind helping me along, which was just as well as I went for another exploration to Clungunford and found it's quite a lumpy bit of road to get there (9mph up the hill and 30 mph down the other side :hyper:)

A gateway with a view did for an elevenses stop and then it was onwards to Purslow, Kempton, Lydbury North and Bishop's Castle. The road to Montgomery was fantastic going in this directiion and the bike seemed to just fly along. I may have been doing this route all wrong previously, although it's not that often we get a southerly wind here.

I had a lunch stop in Montgomery then enjoyed a fast (for me) ride up the valley to Westburyn Halfway House and Melverley. The wind assistance had to end eventually and it did when turning east after Melverley. I was feeling it in the legs as well by this point so was getting a bit slow on the climbs.

I could have just headed straight home after Great Ness but despite being tired wanted to get a good mileage in si I did a loop round the north of Shrewsbury viaYeaton, Walford Heath, Hadnall, Astley and Upton Magna. I was struggling a bit at this point, especially as I was riding into a strong headwind as I turned towards the south, but breaking open the jelly babies around the 95 mile mark helped and I'd perked up a bit by Upton Magna.

The final section was on very familiar roads as it's one of my regular commuting routes. I cut the corner to avoid going into Condover again and had the wind behind me for the last couple of miles which made this bit surprisingly swift.

A great ride with a little bit of wildlife en-route (a hare and a red kite). I may not be moving about much later on.

114.2 miles at 13.6 mph average. A new second longest ride and possibly my quickest century to date (I'll have to check what I managed previously).

View attachment 98627
Crossing Lyth Hill at the start of the ride.

View attachment 98628
Looking back towards Cardington and whats visible of the Stretton Hills, which look very moody this morning.

View attachment 98629
One of the farms after Wall

View attachment 98630
Ludlow

View attachment 98631
"Clunton and Clunbury,
Clungunford and Clun,
Are the quiestest places,
Under the sun"

So says A.E. Housman. The photo is the well known Rocke Cottage tea rooms just outside Clungunford.

View attachment 98632
Bishop's Castle

View attachment 98633
No problem with my lunch stop at Montgomery this time.:okay:

View attachment 98635
Much later in the ride: looking at the Wrekin from Haughmond Hill.

Love your post's @Rickshaw Phil reminds me of the lovely holliday i just had..fantastic area

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
10.2 miles this day, in the heat. Very nice weather.
89F
32C,
Winds SSW 16,G23,
63%relative humidity
A very nice ride on my commuter bicycle, so it doesn't get lonely.
Cooling off this week, but I may only commute a couple of days,
Using the car a bit this week.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Well what a lovely weekend! Finally managed to top an imperial ton on my trike yesterday which I am very pleased with. I was accompanied by 3 very patient friends on their upwrongs.
I had tried to warn them that 100 miles for me on my recumbent - meant they would be on the saddle for a very long time! We took a circular route across Norfolk to Cromer for fish and chips on the sea front (but I didn't fancy them so had a cereal bar!) Then we followed the coastal road through Sheringham, Blakeney, Wells etc. through to Hunstanton, where we stopped for a very welcome ice cream, before taking the main road back to King's Lynn. 106 miles with a not very rapid 12.1 mph average. Not particularly impressive but not too shabby for an overweight, middle aged geezer with asthma, a gammy knee and two wrecked shoulders! ☺

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-01-22-30-33.png
    Screenshot_2015-08-01-22-30-33.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

BSRU

A Human Being
A good 68km ride with 770m of going up.
Warm and breezy but a bit wet for the first third of the ride, in fact I got totally soaked:laugh:, worried my Roubaix might melt in the downpour:tongue:.
Probably looked like a "crazy guy on a bike" to some passing motorists, dressed in summer gear(short sleeve top) and enjoying the rain:wacko:.
Eventually the rain stopped, both me and the road started to dry out, for the last third of the ride the sun actually made an appearance:sun:.
C0035(1).jpg

Now finishing of the last of the home made cakes and washing them down with hot mugs of tea:okay:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yesterday was the last day of my holiday. I had planned to meet up with my parents at Pickering station and have a ride on the North York Moors Railway.

That's 18 miles away, we want to catch one of the early trains. It's mostly downhill and I don't have to ride tommorrow.....

HAMMER TIME :biggrin:

Light breakfast and set off at 9am, should take me a little over an hour I reckon, and off I rode into the drizzle and mist that you get when 1500ft up on the moors. There's a bit of an uphill drag before plunging down to Rosedale. Then a little climb up before more descending, then a nasty steep climb of the sort that my legs had really had enough of the last few days. Walked to the top, just as a sunday club peloton rode down it :blush:. "hi"... "morning"... "not far to the top mate"... doh!

Anyway, that was the last of the super-steep, a little more of the climb and it was 4 miles downhill (ish) to Pickering, arriving with 40mins to spare to catch our train. This was lucky, as it was this one. What a fantastic thing :hyper:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOOWENCbF3Y

I haven't posted up many of my rides recently because they have pretty much all been the same and there hasn't been much to say about them and today was going to be the same until I came across this sign. It is the first time I have cycled this road in that direction, usually I approach from the other direction.

IMG_3805.JPG

Anyhow as I flew past it, it tickled me, so I turned around and came back to take a photo of it for you.

Otherwise except for foresters in Delamere Forest really cutting back trees from the road and letting loads of light in (and also threatening 15 min delays if you get them at the wrong time which luckily I didn't)
and me loosing my Garmin and having to go back for it not much happened other than me breaking the 13kph mark for this route. The garmin, mount and elastics, rubbers and all decided to leave their home and examine the very rough tarmac and holes in a more close up and personal manner. Luckily the roads I ride are all quiet so after it had leapt off the bike I was able to stop and recover the garmin quite quickly, but it did take me a while to locate the rubbers that anchor it to the bike but sadly one piece was not found. Still I have the important bit even if it is not rather more 'customised' with its scratches and gouges than before.

https://www.strava.com/activities/360283689 (21 miles or thereabouts I think) perhaps it is actually easier in this direction? I have no idea but it seemed easier today.

Katherine

Guru
I haven't posted up many of my rides recently because they have pretty much all been the same and there hasn't been much to say about them and today was going to be the same until I came across this sign. It is the first time I have cycled this road in that direction, usually I approach from the other direction.

View attachment 98764
Anyhow as I flew past it, it tickled me, so I turned around and came back to take a photo of it for you.

Otherwise except for foresters in Delamere Forest really cutting back trees from the road and letting loads of light in (and also threatening 15 min delays if you get them at the wrong time which luckily I didn't)
and me loosing my Garmin and having to go back for it not much happened other than me breaking the 13kph mark for this route. The garmin, mount and elastics, rubbers and all decided to leave their home and examine the very rough tarmac and holes in a more close up and personal manner. Luckily the roads I ride are all quiet so after it had leapt off the bike I was able to stop and recover the garmin quite quickly, but it did take me a while to locate the rubbers that anchor it to the bike but sadly one piece was not found. Still I have the important bit even if it is not rather more 'customised' with its scratches and gouges than before.

https://www.strava.com/activities/360283689 (21 miles or thereabouts I think) perhaps it is actually easier in this direction? I have no idea but it seemed easier today.

I Iike how reversing the direction of a regular route is almost a completely different ride.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Out today with the intention of exploring some back roads in Fife but the farm road to the bridge was being resurfaced.

Farm road
IMG_20150803_143904199.jpg

After a stretch on some unfamiliar roads I ended up doing the route I did last time out. Missed a junction to get into Stenhousemuir and had to backtrack, dunno how I missed it as there's a big castle at the crossroads.

Castle.
IMG_20150803_152746355_HDR.jpg

Nice day out, I will ignore the episode with the dummy that practically stopped his bike in the middle of the road nearly causing a smash (couldn't work his gears).

https://www.strava.com/activities/360334434

Top Bottom