Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Out early again, gives the rest of the family time to get themselves awake, and means quiet roads. A usual loop around Staines, Wraysbury and Datchet before heading Eton, where there were many 'nobs' in fully dress, clearly some sort of event occurring. All flay so far so, elected to come home up and over Crimp Hill. Really slow effort, or so I thought, up this one, so really surprised to find I was a whole 1 min 10 secs faster than ever before..
Home by the time all the hair had been dried etc etc, and more work on the van.
Back on the commute tomorrow.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
7 out today including little me and Mrs 26. Steve E had examined the options and called Stourport. Julian H. and Sara P. lead us off towards Leigh Sinton with Peter M. and Peter T. tucking in behind. We took a fairly standard run through the lanes for Knightwick. I rode the main road section briskly. The only one I dragged along behind was Mrs 26. Some of the guys just can't sit on a wheel. We needed to pause at the tops of the small hills for Mrs 26 to stay in touch tho'. She's good on the flat on a steady wheel but hills are another matter.

Our route was our usual outward leg to the Mayfly but we turned away from that at Ockeridge and took to the steep sides of Woodbury Hill. Again pauses were required. Then a fast down with an immediate up before we could run along the valley below Abberley for Stourport. Cafe time by the canal allowed us to watch narrow boats negotiate the adjacent lock.

Some busy sections of one way system got us eventually into the sandy lanes. Sand abounded after all the rain we've had. We decided to take the high road after Lincomb which does drop us out at Holt Fleet just the same. Another climb away from the Severn in traffic lead us back into the quiet lanes for Ockeridge again and a standard run back by Bransford Bridge.

Lovely outing today. Mrs 26 survived quite well. I think this must be her longest and probably hardest ride so far this season. Just need to sort out some technique on the ups is what I'd expect an observant coach to say. Hubbies have to remain silent :ohmy:. 58 smiles on this one.

Last edited:
Today's effort. Up to Parson's Green from Southampton, then back again ( but I had to call it off at my mum's place)

https://www.strava.com/activities/613304941

image.jpeg

Hampton Court

image.jpeg

The beast.

image.jpeg

Half way beers:thumbsup:.

Just over 150 miles, I'm knackered.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Time for my metric century of the month. I'd hoped to do an Imperial one today but after a wet week of commuting "only" felt like doing the metric this time. The forecast suggested a northerly wind easing through the day so it seemed sensible to head south with the best of the tailwind and hopefully have it not too hard to ride against on the way home. That meant Ludlow was the best destination, which is where I headed.

My 8am start became 8.45 before I was on the road and scooting along quite nicely on the Raleigh (it always feels so lovely to ride after using the knockabout bike for a bit:wub:).

Heading through Condover, Pitchford and Acton Burnell I then climbed up Folly Bank and over to Cardington, Wall, and over Wenlock Edge to Westhope before turning down Hope Dale and on through Onibury and Bromfield to Ludlow. The ride was going well but the weather wasn't the best as I'd run into drizzle around Leebotwood which stayed with me most of the way to Bromfield. It was quite cold with it on the downhills as well.

At Ludlow I met up with my sibllings who had a stall at the Ludlow Fringe Market. They'd made a few sales when I got there but had a disappointing day overall as the town was quieter than usual.

Heading on again I left town over the rebuilt Burway Bridge before taking a right then a left and heading on the road to Peaton. This road is great being fairly wide, relatively flat and with not much traffic. It's how I imagine riding would have been in the '50s.^_^ About 7 miles from Ludlow I stopped in a gateway and had my lunch, during which time only 3 cars passed (must be a busy day ;))

Moving on again I decided to explore a little. Last time I rode this way I was able to chat with another rider for a while who recommended a pub; the Tally Ho, so I decided to go and find out where it is. Looks like a nice place - I didn't stop this time but will make a point of doing so soon.

Leaving the village was up an unexpectedly steep climb but rewarded by a good view back down the valley. In nearby Tugford there were a couple of riders studying an OS map. As I approached one called out "Do you know if there a pub round here?". Funny you should ask that...........:laugh:

Next up was the return climb over Wenlock Edge. I took the road past Wilderhope and over to Longville which seemed a lot easier than last time I rode it (although that was in winter and I was on the knockabout bike at the time).

Heading home the most direct way would have got me the metric century but I was quite enjoying the ride and feeling unexpectedly fresh so on reaching Acton Burnell for the second time I headed towards Longnor again then took the lane to Great Ryton and up to Condover for a sprint finish to home.

66.6 miles done at 13.4 mph average which I'm fairly happy with given that the trip was far from flat.

DSC0003560.jpg

Caer Caradoc looking moody in the drizzly weather.

DSC0003564.jpg

About to take the turning for Halford by the Arts College at Westhope.

DSC0003568.jpg

Onibury Church.

DSC0003570.jpg

The road to the beach. The soil is very sandy in parts of Shropshire and an awful lot has ended up on the road after the recent storms.

DSC0003572.jpg

Passing ballast train.

DSC0003573.jpg

Thatched cottage at Bromfield.

DSC0003578.jpg

Dinham, Ludlow.

DSC0003586.jpg

Lunch stop.

DSC0003587.jpg

The Tally Ho at Bouldon.

DSC0003590.jpg

Passing these poppies a second time towards the end of the ride I had to stop for a photo.

Out early again, gives the rest of the family time to get themselves awake, and means quiet roads. A usual loop around Staines, Wraysbury and Datchet before heading Eton, where there were many 'nobs' in fully dress, clearly some sort of event occurring. All flay so far so, elected to come home up and over Crimp Hill. Really slow effort, or so I thought, up this one, so really surprised to find I was a whole 1 min 10 secs faster than ever before..
Home by the time all the hair had been dried etc etc, and more work on the van.
Back on the commute tomorrow.
Probably going to Royal Ascot - we saw lots of silly hats on the train to and from London yesterday

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Up and out for just after 5 am this morning to make sure i was back in bed for 8.30 am just in case a fathers day breakfast in bed was planned .

Intention was a short test ride on the new Simoncini then back home to swap over bikes , all was going well so stayed on the Simo and covered 24.5 miles around the sleepy villages of Sywell ,Ecton .Cogenhoe up the hill to Wishton and along past the fishing lakes to Grendon then along hardwater and up to the rugby club before a quick descent into Wilby followed by a brief climb up towards Mears Ashby and home .

Breakfast is due at 9am so i have just been told .

Old jon

Guru
Another cool morning, but not for long. Wind direction had changed by quite a bit, and a little stronger for added fun.

Jack Lane, Marshall Street and Water Lane delivered me to Great George Street for the ride all the way to Cinder Bridge through an almost deserted Hunslet. Chugged up to John O’ Gaunts, through Woodlesford and turn left to cross both canal and river before climbing into and through Swillington. Going up Garforth Cliff I actually passed someone, a few miles further on at the Boot and Shoe he returned the compliment, just before I turned off for Sherburn. At the lights in the village I turned left for Barkston Ash and on its borders on I resisted the right turn towards Church Fenton, that might have pushed my ride over forty miles . . .

I did, however, turn left shortly after this onto the road to Saxton, a very pretty little village. Having turned right on entering the village, the road out is rather steep, or maybe my legs were tired. Turn left at the top, some distance further on is the Crooked Billet pub, and for the first time in a field behind the pub I saw what looked very like an archery competition taking place. Not a spectator sport, for me, but there was a time I thought of taking it up.

The rest of the ride today is so familiar I reckon there is a groove in the tarmac but I still enjoy the riding of it. Lotherton Gates, Aberford, Barwick in Elmet, Scholes and a surprisingly busy A 64.

Thorner Lane and the other two and my fix of a swift run down Boot Hill. All the view westwards was dark and gloomy but it has missed Leeds so far. Thirty six point four interesting miles, and just 99.9 miles on the new tyres. Good day.
And the map. Still fascinated I am.

20062016.jpg

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Out for a Sunday pootle and another metric half-century accidentally achieved. :smile:
I went out west of Ipswich and re-acquainted myself with some glorious countryside. I paused for a snack beneath an oak tree on the green at Holton-St-Mary and found time for a selfie.
Under a spreadin oak tree 001.JPG

I then meandered through Hadleigh and towards Whatfield - there were dozens of cyclists about, all seemingly have a great time.

This out near Raydon :-

Out and about on a June Sunday 001.JPG

Surlydave

Über Member
Best day for some time in these parts, so jumped on bike for a quick spin out to 11's stop with Suffolk
Ctc. Our leader chose a great route as usual with about a dozen of us ending up at Hatcheston village hall
for a well deserved coffee and cakes. I turned for home, which included a loop out to the east of Ipswich
to put in a few extra training miles, leaving the others to carry on to Dunwich for lunch.

https://www.strava.com/activities/613970551

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Today I retraced a route I did back in October last year, circumnavigating Bradford (really the best way to see it), through Shipley, out to Ilkley then doubling back and riding over the moors between Burley in Wharfedale and Bingley. From there it was over some lumpy stuff through Cottingley, Allerton and so on, back home. Seemed more of a slog today than eight months ago. Ho hum. Perhaps it really is true that the older you get the better you were... :smile:

What was lovely was being allowed a free pass on Fathers' Day. Youngest son was up same time as me and bestowed his card and gift before I left. Oldest son was still in his pit then, but had crawled out by the time I got home and forked over his card and gift while I tried not to look jelly-legged and half ready to collapse. Apparently it's takeout pizza for tea and I'm paying. If anyone can tell me how that works, I'd be much obliged. Perhaps that free pass isn't free after all... :rolleyes:

50 miles all told, with 3,858 ft of ascending and an average speed of 15mph. Grand.

https://www.strava.com/activities/614138873/

:okay:

Local club were doing a 25 mile TT today and I fancied a longer harder ride.
So I booked on the Sigmasport chnning from their shop in Hampton Wick

Last time I went on one, I mistakenly went on group 2. Stuck with group 3 today

Cycled over to Hampton wick first, flat route about 11 miles, takes about 40 minutes.
Met my friend Marcin there, he is however faster so no in the same greoup.

The route was a crib of the outer parts of the rideLondon 100.
Early part of the route pretty flat, over Hampton Court Bridge, through Weybridge, Byfleet , Ripley, and on to Newlands Corner

On the flat part of the route almost slow, except, when - being at the back, sometimes had to catch up after a junction
Then a leg down to Holmbury St Mary - including a gentler hill - so that we could do the 'normal' climb of Leith Hill.
I seemed to get a second wind at this point and passed a number of the riders on the way up

It's quite familiar and holds no terrors for me
In fact did a PB today 10 mins and 20 seconds

Then across to Box Hill, legs a bit achey by now

Then worked a way back to the shop via Headley Common, Epsom, Chessington and Kingston.

Rode home a little slower than the outward journey - there was a slight headwind, my excuse.

And in my inimitable way managed to lose a little bit on Garmin - about 3,5 miles

So total is 83.7 miles @ 15.9 mph with 2871 feet climbed
So a very satisfactory speed

https://www.strava.com/activities/614099602/

About 15 in our group

Today I retraced a route I did back in October last year, circumnavigating Bradford (really the best way to see it), through Shipley, out to Ilkley then doubling back and riding over the moors between Burley in Wharfedale and Bingley. From there it was over some lumpy stuff through Cottingley, Allerton and so on, back home. Seemed more of a slog today than eight months ago. Ho hum. Perhaps it really is true that the older you get the better you were... :smile:

What was lovely was being allowed a free pass on Fathers' Day. Youngest son was up same time as me and bestowed his card and gift before I left. Oldest son was still in his pit then, but had crawled out by the time I got home and forked over his card and gift while I tried not to look jelly-legged and half ready to collapse. Apparently it's takeout pizza for tea and I'm paying. If anyone can tell me how that works, I'd be much obliged. Perhaps that free pass isn't free after all... :rolleyes:

50 miles all told, with 3,858 ft of ascending and an average speed of 15mph. Grand.

https://www.strava.com/activities/614138873/

:okay:
That's some good climbing @Berk on a Bike

Top Bottom