Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Given a vague deadline; 'you need to be back sometime between 11 & 2 but I'm not sure exactly when yet', I needed a route where I could get home within half an hour of Mrs. jg summoning me. Lots of noodling then.

The Leamside TT course is a good start and after one lap I started adding on some extra bits. It looked like it was raining across the valley so I stayed over on the East side until I'd finally exhausted all variants of the TT course.

Skittered down to Cocken Bridge on skoggy roads to cross the Wear and begin the climb to Nettlesworth. It was here I was easily passed by a rider who was all Pinarello, Rapha, Kask and Sidi. I'm obviously not spending enough on my kit as I couldn't hold his wheel. :tongue:

The lanes around Holmside and Craghead were quite peaceful until I was caught by someone on a right hooligan bike. He'd obviously seen me late cos I could hear him banging down through the gears with the engine backfiring and the chip & seal topping grating under his wheels. He shot off left as I went right at the junction leaving me in a silence that was deafening.

Mmmmm....... that chip & seal is nasty stuff and I had to take it steady on the bends crossing Waldridge Fell to arrive home having covered 38 miles.

upload_2019-7-28_11-43-30.png

13 rider

Guru
Today was my forum ride from Market Bosworth .The plan was to be out early for some extra miles then 50km and ride home . Woke to persistent rain so the early miles was canned .Then people starting bailing for which I don't blame them . Not sure if everyone wasn't coming I decided to ride to the start just to get a ride in and take it from there . It starts to properly rain as I push the bike out the door the Defy getting a weekend outing as it has mudguards on . 11 wet miles later I'm at the start point and strangely I'm the only one daft enough to turn up . Desicion time do I turn round ride straight home or extend and complete a metric half century . Odviously I take the daft option and head away from from a mile later the rain starts to slow and I begin to enjoy it . A loop through Shenton and Upton back to Market Bosworth and I'm finally heading home . Into Desford 6 miles from home and it's starts to rain really heavily by the time I get home I'm properly drenched .35 wet miles done thankfully it's still warm enough to make it bearable . Just saw one other cyclist out today so I'm not the only nutter

galaxy

Veteran
Given a vague deadline; 'you need to be back sometime between 11 & 2 but I'm not sure exactly when yet', I needed a route where I could get home within half an hour of Mrs. jg summoning me. Lots of noodling then.

The Leamside TT course is a good start and after one lap I started adding on some extra bits. It looked like it was raining across the valley so I stayed over on the East side until I'd finally exhausted all variants of the TT course.

Skittered down to Cocken Bridge on skoggy roads to cross the Wear and begin the climb to Nettlesworth. It was here I was easily passed by a rider who was all Pinarello, Rapha, Kask and Sidi. I'm obviously not spending enough on my kit as I couldn't hold his wheel. :tongue:

The lanes around Holmside and Craghead were quite peaceful until I was caught by someone on a right hooligan bike. He'd obviously seen me late cos I could hear him banging down through the gears with the engine backfiring and the chip & seal topping grating under his wheels. He shot off left as I went right at the junction leaving me in a silence that was deafening.

Mmmmm....... that chip & seal is nasty stuff and I had to take it steady on the bends crossing Waldridge Fell to arrive home having covered 38 miles.

View attachment 477365
I Used to live in Shiney Row, so all old Stomping ground for me.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Yesterday's Ride: This is my FIRST ride video so please leave comments and subscribe for more. I look forward to doing a few more.

“A Forest Faunication” is a 205km DIY Audax from Somerset, along the Colliers Way, through Longleat, into Warminster and Salisbury through the Cranborne Chase AONB and on into The New Forest to Brockenhurst, returning along a similar route. (This is an “Out and Back” randonnée)

View: https://youtu.be/6TWI6QY9pF4

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Friday's Ride
To my Daughter's

Good ride through the Teme valley to Tenbury Wells and on to Ludlow for lunch. Some lanes after Ludlow which were new to me although I have climbed to Wilderhope Manor before. My route skirted around Shrewsbury by Upton Magna. Nice welcome from Daughter and Ted the mad dog. 73 smiles

Today's Ride
Return from Daughter's

I was on the edge of a band of rain at my daughter's. The radar showed a gap so I headed off onto roads (eventually) that hadn't had rain. These north Shropshire lanes are pleasantly rolling. Wenlock Edge breaks this with a bit of a climb. I diverted to visit Wilderhope Manor to reacquaint myself with an old haunt then dropped off to wander through more pleasant lanes to Ludlow where lunch was taken. Then across the corner to Tenbury Wells and the run along the Teme Valley. Martley marked the end of hills and it wasn't long till I was home again. 75 smiles

32 miles with Gina today. Was looking for a good spin today after the mountain climb yesterday. Looking for at least a 16 MPH average but ran into a buddy who jumped in with us and wanted to chat. The dude just rides his bike mile after mile. Used to race but now just rides for peace of mind. So we ended up chatting. Lost our average but I guess numbers aren't always that important. So it made it a bit easy on Gina sitting in a two man side by side draft ha ha!

Cool at the beach but hot at the finish of the ride which is inland and warm. Only hit 93 degrees high today.

Last 50 yards or so.

bike1.JPG

Sitting in the shade after I finished packing the bikes. I think this was one of Gina's elementary school tricks, sitting back to back holding up one another ha ha!

bike2.JPG

Gina on the ride.

bike3.JPG

Stop anywhere in the heat and she will find a sliver of shade.

DSCN0944.JPG

After the ride, she slipped off her cycling shoes, forger the ratchet system. When she's hot, they are slip off shoes ha ha! Then she sat in the shade watching me pack and burn in the sun! :sun:

DSCN0961.JPG

In the truck, looking a little warm waiting for me to start it!

DSCN0970.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday's Ride: This is my FIRST ride video so please leave comments and subscribe for more. I look forward to doing a few more.

“A Forest Faunication” is a 205km DIY Audax from Somerset, along the Colliers Way, through Longleat, into Warminster and Salisbury through the Cranborne Chase AONB and on into The New Forest to Brockenhurst, returning along a similar route. (This is an “Out and Back” randonnée)

View: https://youtu.be/6TWI6QY9pF4

Nice video! A little constructive criticism. I myself like to see a little more than the handlebars in a ride scene. Of course the cockpit makes a great shot many times but I really like the shots that look up the road ahead a bit more. Just my thoughts, I like to see more of the other riders vs the handlebars. Just my opinion though.

I like the full view of the other riders as so.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Nice video! A little constructive criticism. I myself like to see a little more than the handlebars in a ride scene. Of course the cockpit makes a great shot many times but I really like the shots that look up the road ahead a bit more. Just my thoughts, I like to see more of the other riders vs the handlebars. Just my opinion though.

I like the full view of the other riders as so.

Much appreciated @MrBeanz . Thank you. I used a chest mount mainly, but I can get more on a bar mount I guess. It can also mount elsewhere on the bike. It’s also about confidence. Being a classical introvert I’m not going to go about shoving the camera in people’s space or have a running commentary. On group rides I’ll have more of other riders too. There were only two of us on Saturday.

Thanks for the wisdom.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yesterday's ride: The longest club ride of the year so far (47 miles for me) took us South East from Gloucester for coffee and cakes at the Blue Zucchini Café in Tetbury. We could never quite get a handle on which direction the wind was blowing, and some headwinds and a big climb up the Cotswold escarpment at Selsley made the outward leg pretty tough. As we got past the high point and headed straight towards Tetbury, the wind direction shifted and turned into a helpful tailwind. Coupled with a very slightly downhill gradient and decent road surfaces, this could have made cycling much easier. Could have. We had different ideas, though, and every one of us chose to put the hammer down and see just how fast we could go. For 3 or 4 miles at one point I varied between 25 and 31mph. Exhilarating it may have been, but this meant that I'd been on my limit for two thirds of the time by the time we arrived in Tetbury.

A word of warning. The Blue Zucchini, whilst very cycle friendly, does not accept cash on a Sunday. On a group ride this always catches someone out! A nice stop anyway. Home via Avening, Nailsworth and Stroud was marred by a double puncture for one of our number when riding into Nailsworth and failing to avoid a pothole. The roads in Stroud District are reverting to their usual appalling state again. I doubt if Neil Armstrong saw as many craters 50 years ago. By the time I got home I was too tired to post my ride, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Decent sunny weather, but surprisingly few other cyclists about.

Cheers, Donger.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Been gradually working up my fitness as I lose weight on this diet and going out more on the Tricross rather than the e-bike. One thing I'd been considering was doing the Kincardine Bridge - Forth Road Bridge loop again as my brother in law did it with his mates recently - they're all pretty fit and go off on cycling holidays together. So off I headed on an overcast day, using the car to take me to a start point near the Kincardine Bridge. Google Maps kept trying to take me on a strange route but I decided to stick to what I knew until it told me to go on the I76 cycle route at Bo'ness - and I'm glad I did! This is a path that hugs the shoreline of the Forth on the south side with the water only a few feet away. Sometimes tarmac, more often forest track, I was glad of the 38c cyclocross tyres I had on, although at 80psi they're a bit sticky on tarmac. Out of nowhere, I found a pretty impressive castle I'd never seen before - Blackness Castle.

20190728_101934.jpg

This was where I hit one of those etiquette things. I found myself following a woman rider going roughly the same pace as me. I could have passed her with a bit of effort but was aware I had a long way to go so I sat back about 30m and kept pace. However, I started to think I was making her uncomfortable, judging by her repeated glances back. She stopped at a gate for a drink and I got past but when I took a wrong turn I found myself behind her again. Once more I felt she was uncomfortable and I wondered if she was worried about me so I decided to put the effort in and passed her again, keeping the pace up until I established a fair gap but it knocked the wind out of me for a while. Was it all in my mind or do women worry about strange men following them on country trails?

It was as I left the castle behind that the heavens opened. I put on my waterproof Decathlon pac-a-mac thing for the first time and discovered it was as waterproof as a tea bag. Not only that, it seemed to keep me cold and it was quite a slog after that across the bridge and round past Rosyth (I noticed the diesels were running on the second carrier, Prince of Wales. Not long until her sea trials start I'd imagine). The rain didn't ease until Culross, by which time I was soaked and caked with mud - must fit mudguards.

I finally made it back to the car and wished I'd brought a towel to protect the seats, oh well.

snip.JPG

snip1.JPG

Quite happy with that considering so much was on forest trails and the weather was awful. Better still, despite my brother in law sticking to tarmac, I was a bit faster than him!

Best bit of all was checking the scales this morning and discovering I've now lost 20lbs - yay !

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Three Rides.

Yesterday: A ride out on the Trek Madone to meet the Fragrant MrsP for breakfast again in Wallingford, just a smidge over 17 miles.

9D4C88EA-2FD3-4DC9-B732-39971634633A.jpeg

Later we went to the farm shop down the road where there was a fete, for a burger and a hotdog.

2 miles I took the Kingpin this time.

Today: I rode the Whyte Coniston hybrid to Abingdon for some items of utility, I went along the road, the direct route where no less than three twats in cars failed in their mission to wipe me out. The return journey I came a long the mostly quiet cycle route 5 via Sutton Courtney, the Cooling Towers and Didcot. Just over 20 miles.

FEA43A10-050F-4E76-B65E-533DEB228ECE.jpeg

This is a little peaceful oasis in the middle of a very unattractive trading estate.

D12BC388-F321-4727-9FAA-C23979641EC5.jpeg

Not sure if this a church, but it’s an interesting looking building.

CD6D9361-92A2-4A1C-B268-FF955A8C223D.jpeg

Abingdon town hall.

1294DC00-298B-422A-AE01-2F770FFD8D47.jpeg

Earl Grey tea and croissant. I’m multi cultural me.

11651846-C66B-4491-B7D2-E2B4D262884F.jpeg

Colourful hanging baskets alongside the river Thames.

3E8BC3EE-175A-4F29-833E-CAE58683D954.jpeg

Alms House at the Abbey.

1044CE98-CE73-4BF7-9364-1BE4D1687564.jpeg

The remaining three cooling towers at Didcot, supposed to be coming down this year.

A90C99D0-5BE8-41C5-B9D4-20C9C58EF3B2.jpeg

There’s two blokes on a cherry picker (black circle) looked like they are drilling holes for explosives.

CA37E11E-7995-4175-BFDF-A385A4FD676A.jpeg

Old jon

Guru
I had forgotten just how long rain soaked shoes take to dry. I have also forgotten how long it is since I bought a newspaper to scrunch up and stuff into rain soaked shoes, to accelerate the drying process. Well, at least it is warm out there.

Vaguely aiming towards Wetherby for this morning’s jaunt, plenty of time to think about route details as I ride the geared bike through the abandoned corner of Holbeck and across the river ( Aire ) and up the hill to the clock at Oakwood. After this there is more pondering time while riding up the A 58 to cross the Ring Road. Turn left at the pub onto Whin Moor Lane and ride to Shadwell while enjoying the breeze cooling me down. Left onto Main Street and all the way to Slaid Hill and the right turn which leads towards Wike and East Keswick. The final drag out of the latter was difficult this morning, then comes the easier bit to the A 659 and the right turn to Collingham. There is a lot of downhill this way, but turn left before the A 58 and cross another river, the Wharfe, on Linton Bridge. Much praise to @Heltor Chasca for his Audax video he recently posted, very well produced indeed.

The road is in Wetherby very soon, ride through the centre and recross the river, heading back to the A 58. Climb a bit, the road goes to Collingham but I turned left onto Wattle Syke which, oddly enough, is another piece of the A 659. All the way around the busy roundabout at the end, turn onto West Woods Road. The woods the name refers to are on the right, about halfway along to the next village, Bramham.

Turn right, away from the village, and pedal towards Thorner, some of this is surprisingly uphill. Surprising because it looks flat but my legs tell me otherwise. Thorner arrives at last, straight through the village and he who has been moaning about uphill now has Sandhills to deal with. Oddly not as difficult as it could have been, for which I was truly grateful. Skeltons Lane crosses Coal Road before reaching the A 58, this road is used often. Turn left and really whizz down the hill I had pondered up earlier. Ride back past that clock and almost into Leeds’ centre before travelling back over Crown Point Bridge. Not far now to complete thirty four and a bit miles since the last time I saw my front door. Big grin for that, a really enjoyable ride.

Magic map . . .

29072019.jpg

Been full of cold since Thursday evening and have felt really ghastly over the weekend, but felt a desperate need to get out on a bike, even if it was just for a little while.

So a very gentle seven mile round trip to Oxlode in the company of Wiggy #1, the Rouen, was called for. Out and back via Dunkirk, O Furlong and Pymoor, with a stop in Pymoor to sit on a bench in the sun for a bit and watch the world go by.

Was lovely to be out on a warm and sunny if slightly blustery afternoon, but am now feeling the effort somewhat.

Off work this week so made up for the crappy week-end by getting out in the sun for a blat on the Helium.

Out to Isleham via Prickwillow and then Freckenham and Worlington.Turned off to Red Lodge,then Kennett and Moulton;then via the gallops to Newmarket and out past the racecourse before turning off the A1303 to Swaffham Bulbeck.Then Burwell,Fordham and Soham and home via the A142.

Good 31.9kmh average and no incidents with traffic even on the A roads; only down point being the HRM coming loose and causing a spike before dropping out, stopped and put back on and all fine again,might need a new strap.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2572921252

Top Bottom