Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shropshire65LW

what a lovely day , took my time enjoying the day , if it wasnt for a Customer coming to collect something from me . i may have kept going, guess we wont have many more like this, we can hope ,

Attachments

• Sept13.4.jpeg
    Sept13.4.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 4
  • sept13.2.jpeg
    sept13.2.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Sept13.3.jpeg
    Sept13.3.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 119428944_1120388631691028_6956560583363197975_n.jpg
    119428944_1120388631691028_6956560583363197975_n.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 4

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Back to Knowsley for the second of three track sessions with my son's team plus a stack of guest riders / 2021 team members: https://www.strava.com/activities/4054899749

This is one of the few times I went past my son ^_^

119040236_345079436686427_4197191347392216336_n.jpg

No other photos as almost all were under 18.

Old jon

Guru
A warm and bright start to the day, the weather that is. Things seemed to be slow and awkward this morning, took about three hours to leave the house. Still, no problem. Took the geared bike, the Bob Jackson it had better be now, I had decided to ride to Harrogate in a fairly erratic manner.

Leaving Leeds, same old same old, Oakwood and Slaid Hill. Quite a breeze helping me on my way, Wike Ridge Lane was quickly ridden, even the climb out of East Keswick seemed faster than the usual crawl. Linton next and bad navigation. Reached the T junction and turned left, brain in neutral. Half a mile on I realised this was not the road I had intended to use. Pedalling closer to Sicklinghall every minute. Instead of Spofforth.

Then I trusted to memory. At the bottom of the village is a right turn onto Stockeld Lane. Or there was. So I kept going and yes the lane was there. After the first few hundred yards there was a gate with a walkway round it. Uphill gravel surfaced riding is what I bought the Spa for. Anyway, one more gate and a couple of cattle grids later I am on the road to Spofforth at last. It was busy. All the way to Harrogate it was busy. Never mind, family visit accomplished, time to ride home.

Knaresborough first, lets ride along the riverside road. And it was crowded, as guessed. The centre would have been as bad, I told myself, and uphill too. Reach the Wetherby Road, turn right, next is Little Ribston. A series of bends bordered by nice houses. North and Kirk Deighton and then Wetherby. The A58 felt like a good choice of road, and reaching Bardsey I changed my mind. Up Rigton Bank, by that was steep today. But it takes me to the top of the world road, AKA Milner Lane, and the ride through Thorner, again!! and the climb of Sandhills.

That is almost it, just wheee!!! down Boot Hill and the last five miles pass under thetyres speedily indeed. Front door in sight, grin on mug, and 52 miles says the garthing. With upness reaching over 3000 feet too! Not surprised I am tired.

No video yet, maybe next week. Still the map and stuff though . . .

13092020.jpg

1309elev.jpg

All above sea level, and it felt like it was!

AndreaJ

Veteran
Another sunny morning but a bit windy, started off towards Whixall where they are having a scarecrow competition with lots of scarecrows in gardens, farms and even climbing up the outside of one house. Carried on through to Alkington with a short wait to cross the canal over the swing bridge while a boat passed, back to Hollinswood, Coton, Abbeygreen, Waterloo, Edstaston, Ryebank through Horton to the Ellesmere Road to Loppington where the wind was much stronger. I decided to go to Brown Heath, English Frankton, Pikes End then through the woods to Lyneal, Welshampton, Hampton Bank, Northwood and home. Lots of people out and about today and not much traffic. 26.5 miles @15.8mph.
27BF13E1-D854-4B0D-A0FA-068E9224603F.jpeg

One of the scarecrow entries.

C R

Guru
An afternoon ride for a change today. A bit breezy, but quite warm setting off. I was planning to go to Broadway via Beckford, but was a bit distracted, and missed the turn at Pirton, so decided I would just repeat the same route as last week, to Tewkesbury via Upton and Longdon, and then back via Bredon, Beckford and Elmley Castle.

The wind was side and ahead on the way out, and a bit of hard work on the way to Longdon, but once I turned to Tewkesbury I had the wind side and tail all the way, so not complaining.

There was quite a queue at the traffic lights for the Mythe bridge, maybe half a mile, which was annoying, as I just had to sit on it, and lost me maybe half an hour. Still, the roads were mostly clear after that, and made it back in under three hours. No photos today, just the map.

IMG_20200913_211825.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Two rides today - firstly a morning 11 mile bottle bank & shopping trip into and around Felixstowe, then home to do a few domestic chores.

Then, with a couple of spare hours in the afternoon I was finally able to test ot the Ventus with its new carbon seatpost. The route was a variation of my Westerfield loop - Falkenhm, Kirton, Newbourne, Martlesham, Rushmere, Westerfield, Ipswich & Bucklesham. A couple of stops were required to raise the post as it kept slipping down, despite having used carbon assembly paste & a decent torque level on the clamp. This from the most picturesque of the stops...
Walk Farm Gate.jpg

A very enjoyable outing in the warm sunshine despite a bit of a breeze, with this 37 miles taking me over 7000 for the year so far.

Today's was another informal Cc ride to destination Nice Pie . Planned route was 30 miles as I wanted to complete a metric century I was out the door early for some extra miles . Did my normal route out to St Bernards Abbey but coming down Swanimote rd I went left at the crossroads on to Warren lane which I had never riden before and it was lovely a nice quite gem . Rejoined my normal route at Belton heading back down Charley rd was my first feel of the wind stronger than I thought . Got to the meeting point at Quorn just on time I could see @Supersuperleeds talking to @tallliman who wasn't in cycling gear . A quick chat and he confirmed he wasn't feeling great so wouldn't be joining us but had come to see us off . We were soon joined by @Noodle Legs so after a quick catch up the 3 of us set off . Off through Barrow ,Prestwold ,Wymeswold chatting away and we worked out the last time the 3 of us rode together was coming back from the UCI world champs in Harrogate a year ago . Up the climb of Narrow lane and onto Nice pie . Coffee and sausage or bacon sandwichs were consumed as we're leaving bumped into a mate just heading into the cafe so another quick catch up and were on are way to face the headwind home . Up the Wreake valley where we did a couple of deadend roads so @Noodle Legs could grab a couple of velo viewer squares as he's a bit behind the rest of us . Into Rothley at the crossroads we all headed different ways . All 3 of us completed a metric century 75 miles for @Supersuperleeds ,68 for me and 65 for @noodlelegs and great ride in great company . We will try again next month to get the four of us together

Given I had to bail early on the ride back from Yorkshire due to my back, I think my appearance for a limited proportion of the ride yesterday was quite apt!:laugh:

Possibly my slowest time ever for this loop out of Ingleton but the weather was glorious and I just loved the dawdle, well that's my excuse 😉
Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/rdM4YX06L9

House-sitting out at Liddaton again.
Was planning to go out to Okehampton and back, 28 miles, but the rest of the day got in the way. Have to go to Southmead Hospital in Bristol tomorrow re my pre-lockdown back op. On checking the car yesterday, the space-saver spare was flat. Odd. Set the compressor going, but little progress. The valve stem had split. So today to the local ATS in Tavistock. They don't carry this odd slim valve type. Next place didn't either. Last place wasn't looking good, but one of the tyre fitters had a rummage in the back of his workstation and bingo! So phew, all good. But by now, no time left for the longer ride. Have rejigged Wednesday and will try then,
So, a shortie of just 4.3 miles, but quite hard, especially the first 1.75 miles. Road surface terrible, and most of it relentlessly up, as in 20" gear up.
At the top of this, I would turn right if going to Okehampton and head to Lydford and NCN27 Granite Way. Turn left instead and get a nice long downhill reward for the climb. This bit from the left turn is new to me, so trying to be careful as well. A great sufficiency of gravelly bits on these lanes, so trying hard not to wash out at 20mph+. Left onto an eerily familiar B road. And a set of TTLs, which I managed to trip before coming to a stop. This did not please the chav in an old BMW who waited while I ground past uphill at 9 mph...tough. Pass a village sign, Chillaton. OK, I'm on the Chillaton-Lewdown road. No idea where in Chillaton I turn back to Liddaton. But there it is, and left again I go. This lane is >narrow<, so of course I met several cars...Plenty of field gates. Another short undulating stretch, then the final left turn onto the even narrower lane from where I started. Another half mile, and finish.
I'd delayed any riding until today, because they were harvesting, and it would be suicidal to tough it out with the 30+mph tractors and trailers, which take up 100% of the road. Too many chances of nowhere to go.
Here's the very small map:

Quite a good average for me, aided by a couple of gung-ho descents. Weather: hot and sweaty, but a breeze to take the edge off.

ianbarton

Veteran
I have been planning to cycle to Newport (the one in Shropshire) for ages, but never got round to it. This morning I wanted to leave early to avoid the hot midday sun. However, by the time I had been for a blood test and walked the dog, it was midday! The outward route mostly follows NCN552 and is quite lumpy. The compensation is good views over the Shropshire countryside, except for the bits where the Elephant grass obscures the view. When the grass is harvested it goes to a local power station where it is used to fire electricity generators.

Newport is an old market town with several interesting buildings. There have been settlements there since Saxon times. I called in at a Costa for a sausage sandwich and a large Americano.

The return route was along small country roads on the other side of the A552 to the outward leg. It was also a bit less lumpy than the outward route. A total of 64k almost all on quiet rural roads.

14-09-20-A-bike-ride-to_Newport.png
14-09-20-A-bike-ride-from-Newport-England.png

Mike_P

Guru
Amazing, had booked today off work (at home) last week and the forecast turned out right.
North on the A61 for the Defy. Plotted route had been to turn off at Wormald Green and head through hillier terrain, however the Wahoo had updated immediately after it last use and I noticed the display had reset itself so whilst I had BST time, speed and distance nowhere was the actual journey time showing:sad:
Decided to head to Ripon in case a wifi signal was needed to tweak the Wahoos settings and unexpectedly for a day with little wind recorded a PR on the continuing ride on the A61.
In suburbia at the second attempt found a wifi signal and tweaked the Wahoos display, which gave an excuse to do a loop to the west of the centre of Ripon.
Headed north west on the A6108 which resulted in the ride acquiring three keyboard “N”s in quick succession, starting with North Lees

Followed by North Stainley

where I stopped for lunch of not quite toasted cheese sandwiches and an apple in a nice shady bus shelter with a distant entertainment of school teachers trying to get a group of school children safely across the road; green man light on but one child obviously afraid of the motor bike waiting.
Onwards through West Tanfield to Nosterfield which had been the original target. The lane in was signless so a departing look back on the B6267.

I knew there was a nature reserve around here and, oblivious to the fact I had passed it, cycled along a different section of road I thought it was on. Playing the video back the only sign at the entrance was facing away from me. Returning to the plotted route the south east ride towards Wath become painful as I thought I had been stung on a finger but the length of what was stuck in my finger was obviously plant based unless there are some giant insects aboutxx( Pulled it out and carried on with one throbbing finger which put paid to thoughts of heading towards Boroughbridge. The “M” of Melmerby reached consequently was the completion of keyboard villages .

Headed back to Ripon on the A61 where just before North Bridge over the River Ure I got a jammed chain, twix cogs and frame. Released that and decided it was time for a snack before continuing with a PR on Minster Sprint.
Managed to avoid the pot holes hiding in the shade on a bend in Littlethorpe and paused on a bench by the beck in Bishop Monkton noting the finger was less painful. Then to Knaresborough and a repeat initially of yesterdays ride on the ebike but then with a more direct westerly route.
Back home got the rest, I hope, of whatever it was out of the finger. 46.98 miles @ 14.2mph avg with 2047ft climbed.

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Legs were still tired but the glorious sunny weather just has to be enjoyed. So why not an easy standard loop? Ashleworth is always very pleasant with its mix of countryside. On the way out I met Pete M coming the other way at Brand Green so we stopped for a chat. It was quite warm on this ride and drinking was very necessary. Other than that not much to report on this one. 47 smiles

AndreaJ

Veteran
The forecast was for a hot, sunny day but when I got up all I could see was mist, by the time daughter had left for college and the school traffic at the village school had gone it was starting to clear. Set off to Wolverley, Nonely where I had planned on going to Commonwood but found road closed signs so turned to Myddle, down to Merrington as the sun came out and the mist could now see across to Wales, Old Woods, Yeaton, past Adcote school to Little Ness, Baschurch, Eyton, Myddlewood, Weston Lullingfields where 2 helicopters from RAF Shawbury were training, through to Ellesmere, Coptiviney, Welshampton, Bettisfield, Northwood and home. It turned out to be a lovely sunny day with no wind once the sun had cleared the mist. Only saw a few cyclists and dog walkers. 40.2miles @15.2mph.
0002E381-70BA-4653-9C8C-58BFD851ED6A.jpeg

F60A7A5B-F7FB-427C-B274-D13B9E4A8890.jpeg

Top Bottom