Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galaxy

Veteran
Not many ride reports from me of late, mainly as I have`nt been out much lateley. Too many family commitments and busy at work. So a early finnish yesterday gave me time to dust of the Galaxy, pump up the tyres and get out for a hour. Tweleve miles to forget about life and enjoy ,yself and have some quality time with the Mrs. The bike is a great leveler when life is busy. Can`t wait for the next escape ride, however small it may be.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Got the day off today so I went for an early morning ride.
Took the Dave Lloyd as been itching to get out on it .
Headed out of town through Mears Ashby , Wilby up and over cut throat lane and across Hardwater turning towards Grendon and then Easton Maudit and Bozeat then decision time left or right took left towards Poddington and went up to Santa Pod just to see what was happening no testing today so headed home.

Old jon

Guru
An early for me start today. Sleep was a bit elusive, so left the bed and slowly began the cycling morning. Proper awake by the time I pedalled the Spa away into the grey and breezy day.

Meandered through Holbeck, finally recalled the route I intended to ride, so along Great Wilson Street to Crown Point Road and across the river. I was aiming for Slaid Hill, the most direct route involves a steep climb from the Ring Road. I don’t mind the climb, rather enjoy it really, but the road is not wide and quite busy. So today I thought to ride past Potternewton Park on the way to Harrogate Road, and then to Slaid Hill. It was interesting.

And then Wike Ridge Lane along all the name changes, and ups and downs, to the A659 at the other side of East Keswick. Which was quiet and did not feel quite as steep as usual. I had a tailwind! Travel vaguely east to the edge of Collingham, the school had some sort of cycling thing happening, or maybe it was starting time, I dunno. Turn left here to go to Linton.

There was a temptation here to turn onto Northgate Lane and maybe ride to Sicklinghall. I resisted it. Into Wetherby and out again heading for Wattle Syke and its roundabouts. West Woods Road, all the way to Bramham is next, and turn right to head to Thorner. Then comes a choice, bear left to Wothersome and its dip or right onto Thorner Lane leading to Milner Lane? Wothersome, ‘cos I don’t quite know why.

Out of Thorner up Sandhills to Skeltons Lane and a long holdup at the roadworks there. No rush for me of course. Though I did sort of rush down Boot Hill, for no change at all. From the clock at Oakwood, downhill again, and back across the river on the same bridge I used earlier. Then to home and the grin. The shower was going to be welcome indeed, it was a bit cool out there. An almost predictable thirty three miles, the up stuff added to more than 2000 feet. Happy with that.

This way, that way, up there as well . . .

23032021.jpg

2303elev.jpg

GetFatty

Über Member
So went outside on a bike for the first time in a while. I've decided the smart trainer isn't really for me but I may try it next winter as a keep fit rather than get fit option.

Anyway out at the crack of dawn for a spin up to Biggin Hill. The ride out was ok, hard work and chilly but quite enjoyable. On the route back though it's obvious that the school run is back in place and isn't helped by some major roadworks on the South Circular.

An average of 13.8mph was well below my required 15mph but give it a few days and I'm sure I'll be back to normal.

Edit: here’s a picture of a Spitfire (or a Hurricane)

09C86C72-13DE-480A-8123-91890B50C31B.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Cloudy morning so long everything on including a gillet and headed east taking a wrong turn in Bilton and consequently acquiring a surprise PR as I sought a way back to the place names Lane. Took a route through the north of Knaresborough and then the A59 over the A1(M); a junction undergoing improvements and the adjacent slip down to what often seems to be a huge cycleway, otherwise known as the A168, was closed occupied by large construction vehicles. The wind was a south westerly meaning most of the ride was subject to cross winds.

Turned south to Cattal for a Perkier bar snack

For once the lights on the bridge over the River Nidd were on green but I got caught by a set of TTLs in Tockwith but not a set at the other end of the village and across Marston Moor in a new PR to Long Marston before reaching the 3rd letter AtoZ place of Rufforth. A nameboard on a brick plinth seemed a good place to prop the bike against but no buildings followed, then a dummy gate mounted nameboard amongst surroundings of fields and finally the standard 30mph village entrance signs.

South out of the village on an unsigned road I eventually came to a completely unsigned T junction and the OS maps downloaded on the phone failed to work at an appropriate scale. Then remembered although I had not been using it I had plotted a route onto the Wahoo. Right it said, which I followed it to another unmarked junction where it said left and then right at another junction where there was actually a signpost. At Healaugh

a road closed sign appeared which I ignored, further on there was another but the arrangement of the cones with a wide non vehicular width gap to one side implied access was possible and indeed the road was only closed for half its width. Quickly thereafter came Wighill where the rear of the signboard structure had a wide shelf suitable as a bench for snacking on a protein bar.

A set of TTLs held me up in the village whilst three cyclists came the other way. Then pass Thorp Arch and Walton to yet another set of TTLs, I let the queuing motorised traffic go first and then set off. A workman shouted at me it would be okay to cycle through the coned off section which I did as traffic started coming the other way. Along the Wetherby bypass and turning into Kirk Deighton the sun appeared and the gillet was taken off. It stayed sunny through North Deighton and Little Ribston but then disappeared. I stopped for another snack, a baked oat bar, as the next section was a bit of a battle; south west into the wind on the climb of the A658 to Birkham Wood before heading down to Calcutt. Then a couple of climbs after which the Wahoo squealed its delight as I picked up again the plotted route crossing Harrogates Stray on Oatlands Drive. North Yorkshire County Council have dropped a proposal to improving the cycle lanes on it, which are substandard in width, due to the opposition to making the road one way for all other traffic.

46.35 miles with 1929ft climbed, avg 13.9mph.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
After yesterday's great health news about my wife, I awoke today feeling like I could take on the world. So I did. I went and claimed another point in the monthly 50k challenge. One of the best rides I've done in some time.
I met this chap ...
(I had a word with him about his flag.)

View attachment 580071
Met the same chap last year when he was having bike problems. Asked if he needed a hand, but didn't get a reply so left him to it and carried on with my ride.
Bearly Rideable (1).jpg

Went shopping for essential food supplies for this week...

20210324_091701.jpg

Just a gentle trundle across the village and back. On the way I noticed the old fire station/weighing house around the corner from my apartment wasn't infested with cars...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Time for another wild daff outing. This time Mrs 26 signed up. It was a bit of a draggy headwind on the way out so we tucked in behind the hedges. The Star of Bethlehem blooms were in fine form at Bromsberrow as we began our route accompanied by wild daffs. Good displays were admired on the way to St Mary's at Kempley where we paused in the churchyard. A mile or so on we stopped at St Edward the Confessor's for a picnic in the churchyard. Then we took the lovely run through the woods and the ford admiring wild daffs everywhere. Around by Oxenhall we stopped at Gwen and Vera's. Then on for some off road through the woods at Shaw Common. More daff filled woods took us to Dymock and by the orchard filled with daffs. There were more to be seen as we crossed the motorway at Ryton. Mrs 26 opted to go by Hollybush on the way back. We are all wild daffodilled out now. 51 smiles

1616605948778.png
1616605971122.png

1616606003483.png
1616606024771.png

1616606045882.png

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I didn't want to waste such a pleasant day sat at my desk for all of it, so I resolved fairly early this morning to get my work done that bit earlier than normal and get out on my bike. I got out at 4 and did a lap of the Letchworth Garden City Greenway before dinner, which is only 13 miles or so, mainly gravel or earth tracks. Loads of feisty dogs were out and off their leads in some parts, so that added an extra frisson! Some nice blossom on the trees already.
20210324_155900.jpg

20210324_160343.jpg

20210324_165314.jpg

Mike_P

Guru
An early afternoon dental appointment meant a short morning ride in overcast conditions with a sunny spells and a noticeable westerly. Took a back street route with steep bits and false flats to the top of Ripon Road hill and then across to the Pine Woods where faded graphics of King Mathieu persist on the road surface. More concerning was a road closure sign and then one saying no access to Otley Road, so diverted onto the path through the woods, often at walking pace.

Across Otley Road and a new PR beyond then looped back with a nasty headwind in part to join onto Otley Road into Beckwithshaw where there was another road closure. Enquired if I get through and was told yes but I would need to use the pavement; that transpired to be only partially necessary but at the southern end of the village the road and lane towards Little Armscliffe were well occupied by road maintenance vehicles. The original plan to battle the headwind for a quick run back along Penny Pot was scrapped and instead I turned onto Shaw Lane; there is a lengthy false flat beyond what initially looks to be the summit.

Paused at the top just in time to watch a light aircraft land in a field; one way to avoid the road works! A procession of PRs wind assisted east along Brackenwaite Lane. The climb through Burn Bridge followed then headed east across the Leeds Road to follow a signed route except I missed a sign set high up behind a tree from any distance and turned left instead of right. Only realised my error when I found no road across the Stray.

Route corrected and a signalled cycle crossing, the power; with one press of the button the motorised world stops – er, no, eventually…..

Then picked up the tail end of yesterdays route. 15.47 miles with 1332 ft climbed.

gavgav

Guru
After working from home and staring out at the lovely sunshine, the day finally finished and so I got out for a ride in the nice early evening weather. It had remained sunny, but that wind is still cold and I could really have done with another layer back on again.

Took the normal route to Dad’s, via Meole, Hook a Gate, Annscroft (where the one set of traffic lights have been removed, despite the roadworks still being there and blocking one lane completely:scratch:and Exfords Green. Traffic was quite busy, but all well behaved.

Had a chat to dad for half an hour and then set back out into the cool dusk light, heading home via Gonsal, Condover and Betton Abbots. Less traffic now, but most of them were driving like complete morons down the lanes:thumbsdown:

14.87 miles at 12.2mph avg and the most cyclists I’ve seen for a long while, which was good to see.

Top Bottom