Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
10 on Sunday morning and out on the Defy on a ride which in parts was the reverse of yesterdays. A touch milder but early sunny skys had dulled and on the TTL avoidance route to Killinghall moisture was evident in the air. A61 all the way to Ripon passed by an old motorbike at Ripley.

East on the B6265 with a blue sky returned; pass the racecourse, over the River Ure before turning off through Marton le Moor and Norton le Clay to reach Cundall.

Through Milby, Boroughbridge and Aldborough to Lower Dunsforth by which the sky had dulled and it was lightly raining.

The sky to the west looked even duller and I headed that way initially via a single track road with passing places. Through Grafton and up the 12.3% max climb to Marton

Via Arkendale to Ferrensby where I took the A6055 to Knaresborough; yesterdays TTLs had vanished although there was a comparable delay as a police van, sirens on full, passed by. The wind of a western orientation had increased in strength and a cross wind on High Bridge was an unusual occurance. Rain had now set in, stopped and then once on Bilton Lane returned with vengeance. It was pretty unpleasant decent of Skipton Road into the head wind fuelled rain which then stopped as quickly as it had started. Rain proof jersey had done it trick but somewhat damp bib longs.
41.53 miles 1762ft climbed 13.6mph avg.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
A busy day today but wanted to get a ride done for the 50km challenge so thought of the flattest route that should be about the right distance, luckily North Shropshire is mostly flat so that wasn’t too difficult. Started out to Whixall and the blue sky rather than the black clouds behind me, over Dobsons Bridge to Hollinswood turning to Fenns Bank then over the swing bridge to Alkington. Back towards Hollinswood, Coton, Waterloo, Edstaston, Poolhead, Foxholes, Creamore and onto the Whitchurch road into Wem. Along the High Street then Mill Street before turning to Tilley. Watched a few planes taking off from Sleap airfield as I headed to Myddle, Burlton, English Frankton, Loppington and back home. 32.1 miles, not many people about again today despite it being a sunny day. No pictures today as I was in a rush!

13 rider

Guru
Today's ride was to include something I've been missing a cafe stop (outside obviously ) . The plan was to meet @tallliman in Quorn ride to our favourite cafe Nice Pie which is the perfect distance to get 50km easily and meet big sis and bil there .Out the door at 0900 for a few extra miles . Anstey ,Cropston ,Swithland via a freshly chipped road :eek:.Just passing Rothley station were I saw a work colleague waiting with his ride buddies for my boss to arrive to join them . Stopped chatting for a while while by boss turned up who was disappointed I wasn't riding with them :laugh:. Who wants to ride with your boss and talk work ? . On to Quorn and @tallliman was waiting so a quick route check and easy pace agreed (@tallliman did an imperial ton yesterday ). Sileby and up the climb of Seagrave rd into Seagrave and up the steady climb of Berrycott lane and on to Nice Pie to find big sis waiting . We sat outside in lovely sunshine :sun:enjoying a relaxed brekkie stop I've missed that . Back on the bike to rediscover cafe legs still take some getting going :surrender:. To Wymeswold via Narrow lane to Cotes where we part company @tallliman heading home to complete a metric half . I've already past that mark so slightly extended route home via Swithland were I past my other sister riding her horse giving her plenty of space as I past :angel:. Home with 50.1 miles in the bag at a steady 15.2 mph really enjoy it ,this riding with company and cafe stops could catch on ^_^

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
So with today's forecast being rain later and me being tied up mid morning an early ride was called for . Decided on my local 16.5 mile lockdown loop . After yesterday's relaxed pace today's ride was going to be as fast as I can ride :bicycle:. Out the door at 0800 it's chilly but not too bad Anstey to Cropston around the back of Bradgate park on to a constantly rolling road quick descent to the golf course and the climbing begins . Steady drag to start with then the steep stuff up to Copt Oak . Most of the climbing done time for some quick descents into Newtown Linford . As I approach the last climb before home I have ride just in front I catch him just as he gets out of the saddle as Im spinning away seated as I shoot past him he asks is that electric :becool:. I reply no just leg powered his reply was " dam Im slow" :laugh:. He wasn't I was really going for it. Home 16.29 miles in the bag in under the hour at 17 mph with 1200ft of upness my legs felt that one

Last edited:

C R

Guru
Yesterday's ride, but forgot to click submit.

Are we still going to have frosty mornings in August? It looks like we might by the look of things. I think I was already wearing shorts and short sleeves this time last year!

Anyhow, it is Sunday so it is ride time, even if I have to wear full polar gear. Out around twenty past six, full daylight already, and though the air is cold the sunshine is warm.

My plan was going round Droitwich and back via Hanbury or thereabouts. So out to town through St Peters and Bath Road. Still quiet at this time of day, but busier than it's been for the last few months. Still quickly through, the town centre and on the way to Droitwich via Fernhill Heath, it was actually quite nice ride in the warm sunshine, though there was still frost on the ground.
20210502_065757.jpg

20210502_065820.jpg

Droitwich also slightly busier than usual at this time of day, but all courteous drivers. I know it is just perception, but I see more drivers moving fully into the other lane to overtake than I used to before COVID.

Up Crutch Ln is a steady slight climb, and then a descent down to Upton Warren over the M5.
I stopped here for a while, as my blood sugar dropped too much, so scoffed a lot of dextrose tablets and a cereal bar, and waited for a bit for the levels to recover admiring the view.
20210502_073529(0).jpg

The motorway is now much busier than this time last year, and a lot noisier, so not that pleasant.

With sugar levels recovered I got on the way again, through Upton Warren, to the A38, and then skirting around Bromsgrove via Stoke Heath and Stoke Prior heading towards Bradley Green via the back lanes past Woodgate and Bentley, all now in glorious sunshine.
20210502_081406.jpg

This is the aptly called Flying Horse Ln, which in the direction I was going is a slight downhill for a good while and gives a boost to the average speed.

Next is Bradley Green, and then head for Shell Ford to get to Phepson, where I turn left on Littlebrook, heading towards Crowle. I made a last stop just before Crowle for a breather and to take in the views.
20210502_085122.jpg

Now the last stretch through Broughton Hackett, where my Garmin run out of battery, and home via Egdon, Windmill Hill, Stoulton and Littleworth.

Lovely ride, with lots of cyclists about and not as cold as I feared, but I would rather there wasn't a frost.

41.5 miles according to the map, fairly flat with less than 400m of climbing, so reasonably quick average of around 15mph estimated, as the Garmin let me down today.

The map
Screenshot_20210503-105254_Connect.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Saturday: An outing with my brother.^_^ It's been a while since he was last out so we kept it simple and went for the short version of the Acton Burnell loop, which we did clockwise. I'd intended to use the Galaxy for this as a shakedown after some recent work, but on getting it out I wasn't happy with my adjustment of the rear wheel bearings so swapped to the Raleigh.

There was a plenty of traffic out on the A49 as we set out then it wasn't too bad once on the road to Condover and we had the wind helping as well. Heading round through Cantlop, Pitchford, Acton Burnell and Frodesley there seemed to be plenty of people out in their cars but fewer cyclists than I'd anticipated. When we paused at the crossroads near Longnor some shower cloud was bubbling up and unfortunately we did run into rain on the way to Ryton. It went quite cold too so a stop for an extra layer was wanted.

The traffic had quietened down on the return leg so the A49 wasn't too bad. The distance was enough for Doug this time - I'll see if I can start getting him out a bit more often again so we can go on some longer rides.

A fraction over 17 miles at 11.9 mph average.

Drink stop near Longnor with some ominous cloud approaching in the background.

Sunday: Having taken some time to get the wheel bearings on the Galaxy nicely adjusted I took it out for a test run. This time I went round the longer version of the Acton Burnell route and went anti-clockwise. The A49 was practically empty so I didn't even need to stop before joining it an the wind was light so didn't hinder even though I was riding into it through Condover and Ryton to Longnor.

I seemed a bit slow starting off from a drink stop at the Longnor crossroads but the pace built up nicely as I went along. After Frodesley I spotted another rider ahead and was able to reel him in by the time we got to Acton Burnell. I could have overtaken on the short climb into the village but chose to hang back until after the parked cars, which proved to be a good decision otherwise I'd have had a "moment" with the group of pedestrians who strolled out into the road without even a glance to see what was coming.

I headed towards Cound Moor next, encountering a group of walkers stood in the middle of the road for a chat at the bottom of the sharp dip. No danger of a moment here as I could see them in good time but the climb out the other side is a bit of a pull from a walking-pace start. I had a clear run on the descent from Harnage so could get some speed up there but that just highlighted how bad the road surface is. Flag of the day at Cound was that of Sierra Leone.

I decided to head to Berrington using the A458 this time but regretted that decision when I came up behind a cycle club outing cruising along rather slower than I wanted to go and chatting. There were about 20 or so of them and spread across the road making it hard to pass - in pre-covid times I'd have asked to filter through the group, but I didn't fancy that this time so followed at a discrete distance. They were headed towards Cross Houses so I took the lane direct to Berrington.

The rest of the trip back to Condover then home was nicely uneventful. Nice to see plenty of people out cycling, walking and running but I had thought there might be more.

Just over 24 miles at 15.1 mph average.

A couple of snaps between Acton Burnell and Cound Moor.

Looking towards The Lawley and Caer Caradoc from Lyons Lane.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Out the door nice & early at 6.45am for a very nice Kent pootle. I wanted to be home before the predicted storm hit. I managed that, but for the last hour the wind picked up, becoming very blustery, which made for tough cycling at times.
But a great days cycling nevertheless. May's Imperial Century ride done and dusted.
Imperial century #7 for the year, #295 over all & Imperial month 126 in a row

Poor little Mervyn, only 3 days old.

Last edited:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Thought I would get a ride done this morning before the weather turned cold, wet and windy. It was raining when I left and the strong wind was forecast for later on. Started off to Horton, down to Loppington turning by the duck pond to Lyneal, took the lane past the woods to Colemere ( the village) and round Colemere(the mere). Continuing my tour of the meres I passed Newton Mere and Kettle Mere and onto the Ellesmere road back to Welshampton. Turned off by the school down the now muddy lane to Coptiviney then past The mere at Ellesmere. The wind was starting to get worse earlier than the forecast suggested as I headed out towards Lee where it would have been a much better idea to turn towards home rather than my bad idea to carry on to Bagley and Weston Lullingfields which was a miserable cold, wet and windy section. Took the first turning off to Marton which wasn’t as windy and turned to Burlton, Loppington and back home. I’m sure the weather isn’t supposed to be this bad in May.
Unsurprisingly I didn’t see any cyclists, dog walkers or horse riders. 32.3 miles, no pictures again because it was too cold to stop. Got home warmed up and dry just to get wet again walking the dogs- the sun is shining now!

Thought I would get a ride done this morning before the weather turned cold, wet and windy. It was raining when I left and the strong wind was forecast for later on. Started off to Horton, down to Loppington turning by the duck pond to Lyneal, took the lane past the woods to Colemere ( the village) and round Colemere(the mere). Continuing my tour of the meres I passed Newton Mere and Kettle Mere and onto the Ellesmere road back to Welshampton. Turned off by the school down the now muddy lane to Coptiviney then past The mere at Ellesmere. The wind was starting to get worse earlier than the forecast suggested as I headed out towards Lee where it would have been a much better idea to turn towards home rather than my bad idea to carry on to Bagley and Weston Lullingfields which was a miserable cold, wet and windy section. Took the first turning off to Marton which wasn’t as windy and turned to Burlton, Loppington and back home. I’m sure the weather isn’t supposed to be this bad in May.
Unsurprisingly I didn’t see any cyclists, dog walkers or horse riders. 32.3 miles, no pictures again because it was too cold to stop. Got home warmed up and dry just to get wet again walking the dogs- the sun is shining now!
Good stuff, awful weather. I had planned to get the MTB out on north coast of Anglesey but by 9am could barely stand up in the wind :eek:

Top Bottom