Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/RBS-Tech-Winter-Commuter-Cycling-Glove-p/pol01-5830-p.htm

£10 for some winter commuting gloves?

I have worn these a few times now and found them rather good. They're quite warm and allow good control of the gears. Today at -0.5 was the coldest yet. I haven't tried them in the rain yet.

My fingers got cold after about 4 miles but warmed up with a bit of hill climbing and stayed warm for the rest of my 10 mile ride this morning. They have a long flexible cuff which helps keep the wrists warm but makes you think they're too tight when you first try to put them on.

I chose large, but XL might have been better for fitting a liner glove into, so size up.
Decided that for below freezing, these don't keep my hands warm enough. Otherwise I am happy with them though.

Lovacott

Über Member
I picked this up off Amazon a few weeks back for £29.00 and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. My horizontal alignment was out by about 6mm. Took five minutes from start to finish to fix it. My gears now run like new.

Now listed at £32.39, it's still good value compared to the pro tools you see on the market.

1613544676120.png

Lovacott

Über Member
If it's this seller you were lucky - his/her feedback isn't great.

There are quite a few people flogging the exact same thing (price range from £29 to £55).

The seller I bought from had good reviews and the tool itself had very good reviews.

It's robust, well made and swivels easily to do the opposite measurement check.

Probably not something a workshop mechanic would buy, but for DIY use it's perfect.

Big John

Guru
It's surprising how many rear mechs are out of alignment. We use our alignment tool quite a bit at work. I looked at that one, as well as a few other models, but finally used YouTube for guidance and made my own. Took a while to make, admittedly, but when you're retired and have the time to do it then you can save a bit of money. A useful tool for the home mechanic 👍

Lovacott

Über Member
It's surprising how many rear mechs are out of alignment. We use our alignment tool quite a bit at work. I looked at that one, as well as a few other models, but finally used YouTube for guidance and made my own.
I wonder if whether on the cheaper bikes, they bother to check the alignment when the bikes are first built?

If you think about it, you'd only need a slight imperfection in the rear hanger mounting to create a misalignment.

I was planning on making my own, but then I saw the one I've bought online and thought I'd give it a go.

It's a very easy job to do, literally five minutes.

Milzy

Guru
I picked this up off Amazon a few weeks back for £29.00 and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. My horizontal alignment was out by about 6mm. Took five minutes from start to finish to fix it. My gears now run like new.

Now listed at £32.39, it's still good value compared to the pro tools you see on the market.

View attachment 574309
Would love to see pictures or a video of this in action.

Lovacott

Über Member
Would love to see pictures or a video of this in action.
Not much to see really. It works the same as any other alignment tool. It Just screws into the hanger (mech removed) and you use the shiny steel rod to gauge the wheel depth.

The way you lock the rod is slightly agricultural though, using two rubber O rings.

For what it costs and what it does, it's well worth the dosh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom