Wiggle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Last week I ordered numerous things from Wiggle, one of them being heavy duty overshoes at £15.

I wore them out with correct size shoes and correct pedals, both supplied by Wiggle and both new, for about 36 miles and when I returned spotted this:

image.jpg
The other one was exactly the same:
image.jpg
I got in touch with Wiggle to express my disappointment that their goods were so reliable they'd last a mere 36 miles, and they responded with this:

"I have spoken to our Returns Advisers and they have told me that this issue is accidental damage and has been caused by either walking on the overshoes or putting the foot down whilst stopping.

Unfortunately, this is not faulty and is not covered by warranty, so we are not able to accept it back as such.

I do apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused.

If you require any further assistance do not hesitate to contact us again.

Wiggle Customer Services"

I replied stating that surely the purpose these overshoes were designed for was cycling, and that it is ridiculous that this would entail putting them on only when the rider is sitting on the bike, and that there can be no stops at traffic lights, roundabouts etc. so surely the product is unfit for purpose?

I am aware it's only a £15 pair of overshoes and I'll get over it. However, it could be a £1,500 bike from them one day and I don't want to be having a similar argument and receiving poor customer service. Wiggle are my 'go to' website for buying cycling accessories but I'd be worried the next time in case I get a poor quality product and they refuse to do anything.

Should they do anything?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 18
I am aware it's only a £15 pair of overshoes and I'll get over it.

However, it could be a £1,500 bike from them one day

Yep, and the £1500 bike will do what it is intended to do.

If you walk on the road with overshoes then they will scuff. Unless you invent "hover shoes" then you need to get over it.

Diggs

Veteran
Sorry but I agree.
What shoes/cleats do you use? I wear cheap and cheerful when I have SPDs on as I know they will be stomped. I do have an old pair of Planet X ones that have reinforced rubber sole/toe area which keeps the above type of wear to a minimum.
Even with SPD SLs where you loop the cover around the cleat (so the cleat takes the majority of the footfall) I have scuffed my nice ones that Mrs D bought me.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
That's my point. I put them on, got on bike, cycled 36 miles with a couple of stops - hole in each of them. Not just a scuff, a bonafide hole.

At that rate of going, a week of commuting and they'll have no soles left.

0lonerider

Veteran
i got a pair frim aldi for a pound that lasted longer than one ride

Crankarm

Guru
Err they are cycling over shoes NOT walking over shoes. If you don't want holes in them, don't walk in them, take them off when you are not cycling! So no NOT a warranty issue as your fault. However Wiggle's customer service is not great as a few years back they sent me a series of Tubus low loader racks on which the finish was appalling. A replacement they sent which they assured me they had checked which they clearly hadn't, had sharp welding swarf on it and I cut myself. They were right t0$$ers about it so I have never and will never use them again.

However with respect to your £15 over shoes - you are going to get a fairly cheap crappy pair of over shoes for this amount. Either get GTX waterproof winter boots or buy some proper over shoes such as Endura MT500 over shoes which cost about £25-30 which are much more robust having a reinforced toe area but which will chew up after a couple years after a lot of use, but they are far more robust than your choice. Buy cheap buy twice. Doh!

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
I'm with you on this one CC2014. Having holes in these after one ride is not acceptable, irrespective of the price. But to look at this from Wiggle's point of view they probably realise (too late) that this is a crap product, so their internal policy will be to minimise the number of returns so they can restrict their losses. As you have used the product, then caveat emptor and all that applies! Not a great outcome from your perspective.

For a similar price, I got a pair of these from Planet X at the start of the winter. Worn them maybe 20 - 30 times so far, and they are still (nearly) as good as new. They keep my toes toasty warm and dry in all but the wettest of weather. Appreciate they're not in a day-glow colour, but maybe they're a bit more aesthetically pleasing for that? :thumbsup:

screenman

Legendary Member
No warranty issue as I see it from here. Holes in overshoes is what Duck tape or Gorilla tape was invented for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom